Author Topic: Do You Want Him Fired  (Read 7481 times)

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
Re: Do You Want Him Fired
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2011, 08:12:00 AM »
Underwood coaches the big men, right?  He is basically Chris Cosh at this point.
Where did you get that overnight bag?

catzacker

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2011, 10:34:27 AM »
I think a better question is “do you think you’re going to want frank fired in 3 years or less”.  And, IMO, if you’re hoping that we’ll get it “turned around” next year, you’re lying to yourself.  We’re not.  Not with the crap that’s coming back or coming in.  It’s so “Wooly-esque hope” it’s unbelievable.   Every year thinking that untalented players getting a year older will make it all better.  So, with that said, I don’t want frank gone now, but judging by this staff’s post-dca divorce recruiting, I’m going to want frank fired.  Probably after next year. 

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2011, 10:45:46 AM »
No . . . but he's obviously going to have to recruit better. 

Gipson and Angel are a semi decent start, but that level of recruiting should be the baseline level of recruiting for this staff.   

Unless someone has got some information to the contrary, I see no reason to retain Hill at $450K a year unless he starts bringing in some significant talent.

best post in this thread.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2011, 11:02:19 AM »

Gipson and Angel are a semi decent start, but that level of recruiting should be the baseline level of recruiting for this staff.   

Unless someone has got some information to the contrary, I see no reason to retain Hill at $450K a year unless he starts bringing in some significant talent.

Isn't there some Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) clause in Hill's contract that would make it ridiculously hard to fire him?  I thought I remembered something. 

catzacker

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2011, 11:14:34 AM »

Isn't there some Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) clause in Hill's contract that would make it ridiculously hard to fire him?  I thought I remembered something. 

i think he got a 2yr (or multi-year) contract or something.  which usually asst's don't get. 

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2011, 11:17:02 AM »
if Hill is fired, Beasley might not like us anymore.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2011, 11:20:13 AM »
These are the numbers I could find on salaries of the remaing 10 in the league for next year.  I would say we have been out recruited by everyone except for Hoiberg, Knight and probably Capel at this point.  Can we reasonably expect to be on the lower end of the pay scale for coaching salaries and still recruit in the top three of the league?  I would say that with TE450k's salary we are probably closer to the middle of the pack in overall salary cost and should expect Martin at this level to recruit in the top 4 of the league every year. 

Fred Hoiberg   800,000.00
Frank Martin   1,200,000.00
Pat Knight   1,200,000.00
Travis Ford   1,300,000.00
Jeff Capel              1,500,000.00
Mark Turgeon   1,500,000.00
Mike Anderson   1,500,000.00
Rick Barnes    2,000,000.00
Bill Self               3,000,000.00
Scott Drew   ????
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2011, 11:55:20 AM »
These are the numbers I could find on salaries of the remaing 10 in the league for next year.  I would say we have been out recruited by everyone except for Hoiberg, Knight and probably Capel at this point.  Can we reasonably expect to be on the lower end of the pay scale for coaching salaries and still recruit in the top three of the league?  I would say that with TE450k's salary we are probably closer to the middle of the pack in overall salary cost and should expect Martin at this level to recruit in the top 4 of the league every year. 

Fred Hoiberg   800,000.00
Frank Martin   1,200,000.00
Pat Knight   1,200,000.00
Travis Ford   1,300,000.00
Jeff Capel              1,500,000.00
Mark Turgeon   1,500,000.00
Mike Anderson   1,500,000.00
Rick Barnes    2,000,000.00
Bill Self               3,000,000.00
Scott Drew   ????

While not completely his decision, I'm sure Frank had to be part of the initial paying of Te, and resigning Te to more money.  And he has to know that he could probably make more (close to the 1.5 Mil coaches) without paying Te what we pay him.  I'm sure there is a pool of money to pay the basketball staff (with some wiggle room) and paying Te more either means Frank makes less, or the other assistants make less.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2011, 11:57:15 AM »
It appears our only chance at playmakers is either DITR (pullen) or giving 2nd chances to elite recruits (CK, Omari  :crossfingers:).  Neither of these are guaranteed paths to sucess but OSU under Eddie Sutton combined them to have a program that was solidly 2nd tier after KU and TX.  

I still think Frank and the current staff have been pretty similar to what OSU did under Eddie with the exception of the couple of great teams they had when Big Country developed into an NBA center and the way they benefited from the Baylor disaster with Lucas.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2011, 12:44:01 PM »
It appears our only chance at playmakers is either DITR (pullen) or giving 2nd chances to elite recruits (CK, Omari  :crossfingers:).  Neither of these are guaranteed paths to sucess but OSU under Eddie Sutton combined them to have a program that was solidly 2nd tier after KU and TX.  

Probably the absolute ceiling for this program, regardless of who the coach is, people.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2011, 12:50:39 PM »

Probably the absolute ceiling for this program, regardless of who the coach is, people.

I refuse to believe this.  At some point, cheating will be too attractive.  I want to think, in my heart, that Frank has learned his lesson via Tony Mitchell.  We would have had him eligible and we would be doing much better with him on our team right now.  One check was the diff.

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2011, 12:52:50 PM »
IMO, nothing has shown us that Frank won't adapt and surround himself with great coaching talent and eventually great players, unlike Bill. I'm ok with keeping him around.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2011, 12:56:57 PM »
PC46, isn't GPC just rough ridin' horrible now?  Gotta be why you are checking this place out.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2011, 01:11:25 PM »

If you think that OSU under Sutton was under TX then you are sadly mistaken.  Sutton had 5 conference/ Phillips titles.  Two final fours, 3 elite eights, and 5 sweet 16's.  They were behind Kansas.  They weren't behind anyone else.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2011, 01:22:14 PM »
PC46, isn't GPC just effing horrible now?  Gotta be why you are checking this place out.

Two reasons:

1. Your brilliant posting.

2. My mom took away my allowance so I can't pay for the GPC subscription anymore. Just hanging out in my parent's basement stealing wireless from the neighbors.

Offline PowercatPat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #BID
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2011, 01:33:53 PM »
If we lose this weekend to Tech, will most of you still not want him to be fired?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2011, 01:34:35 PM »
If we lose this weekend to Tech, will most of you still not want him to be fired?

No, quit being a dumbass

Offline bigwillie20

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
  • #FYJC #burnitdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2011, 01:37:07 PM »

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2011, 01:52:18 PM »

Finally outed one, about time

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2011, 02:00:37 PM »
Frank's Salary is a little over $1.5 million, I don't know where the hell anyone is getting $1.2 million.

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2011, 02:04:33 PM »
Frank's Salary is a little over $1.5 million, I don't know where the hell anyone is getting $1.2 million.

Do you have a link for the big 12's basketball coaches? I had to use wikipedia because the only thing else I could find was his original salary of around 800,000 prior to the "pay frank" movement.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2011, 03:26:50 PM »
I want to think, in my heart, that Frank has learned his lesson via Tony Mitchell.  We would have had him eligible and we would be doing much better with him on our team right now.

nope.  not a single player on that team has qualified for an athletic scholarship.  they're all in juco, prep or out of american athletics (or still in hs).
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2011, 03:44:26 PM »
I want to think, in my heart, that Frank has learned his lesson via Tony Mitchell.  We would have had him eligible and we would be doing much better with him on our team right now.

nope.  not a single player on that team has qualified for an athletic scholarship.  they're all in juco, prep or out of american athletics (or still in hs).

Ouch.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2011, 04:13:35 PM »
Ouch.

yeah.  i'm a martinite, but placing mitchell at cla was pretty Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!).  irregardless of what happened afterwards.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2011, 04:27:22 PM »
this thread feels weirdly familiar
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."