Author Topic: Official 2014 Coaching Carousel (football edition)  (Read 52252 times)

Offline chuckjames

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Official 2014 Coaching Carousel (football edition)
« Reply #150 on: December 02, 2014, 03:16:12 PM »
Honarable Mentions: Oklahoma State, Iowa, North Carolina, Miami Fl, UCLA, Cal...

Iowa, Cal, and UNC  :dubious:

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 02, 2014, 03:17:54 PM »
Honarable Mentions: Oklahoma State, Iowa, North Carolina, Miami Fl, UCLA, Cal...

Iowa has a lot of history. There's a crap ton of resources for the other two. I know they haven't been good recently, but the resources are there.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 02, 2014, 03:18:46 PM »
UNC turns out like a million NFL players a year.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #153 on: December 02, 2014, 03:19:41 PM »
What Iowa history?  I would say we have comparable history to Iowa.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 02, 2014, 03:19:50 PM »
Thanks fellas!

Iowa is not that good of a job IMO. Next on my list would be:

23. UCLA
24. Stanford
25. Virginia Tech
26. Oklahoma State
27. Washington
28. Arizona State
29. Ole Miss (money, tons of local recruits, tough schedule every year with Alabama/Auburn/LSU in division
30. Missouri

I don't know where to put places like TCU, Baylor (money, local recruits, nice facilities, pud fans/tradition), Cal, Miami, K-State, etc. You get below 20 on the list and jobs really have to be the right fit.

Offline chuckjames

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 02, 2014, 03:20:40 PM »

Iowa has a lot of history. There's a crap ton of resources for the other two. I know they haven't been good recently, but the resources are there.

Iowa doesn't have that much history, i mean the fans seem to care alot, so that is good. UNC and Cal, the fans dont care enough and would take someone special to make a winner at each of those places. Also I dont think Okie Lite is that good of a job as long as OU is OU.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 02, 2014, 03:23:56 PM »
I think the ranking of coaching destinations is heavily dependent on where the coach is from and has recruiting ties to. Somebody from Big 10 country probably would rank Ohio State and Michigan 1 and 2. If you aren't from the area, the Michigan job sucks. Even Rich Rod couldn't win there.

I've been thinking about this, and I kind of disagree (although I used to agree). I think the ability to recruit travels with you. Yes, it's nice to have certain ties to an area, but if you're coaching at OSU or Michigan and know how to handle HS coaches and kids, you'll have instant credibility anywhere you go in the region. I think of the success Urban had in Florida and what a guy like Jim Mora's done at UCLA and think you just need to know what you're doing means more than where you're doing it. The jobs that are top jobs are top jobs largely because they have easy access to gobs recruits, (and is really the biggest factor keeping UNL down).

I could be wrong, though. :dunno:

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 02, 2014, 03:24:45 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iowa_Hawkeyes_football It's not bad.  :dunno:

It's top 40 for sure. Any top 30 without miami fl in it is kinda crazy imo.

Offline chuckjames

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 02, 2014, 03:30:58 PM »

I think Iowa is a K-State level job, now. Yes I think Miami is better than Nebraska.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 02, 2014, 03:32:24 PM »

This is what their games are like now:

They fell off a cliff.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 02, 2014, 03:35:25 PM »
I know. I've seen it with my own eyes, but it's in Miami, florida. You know how much talent is there? I'm pretty sure they'd get back and running with some success.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 02, 2014, 03:37:11 PM »
I think the ranking of coaching destinations is heavily dependent on where the coach is from and has recruiting ties to. Somebody from Big 10 country probably would rank Ohio State and Michigan 1 and 2. If you aren't from the area, the Michigan job sucks. Even Rich Rod couldn't win there.

I've been thinking about this, and I kind of disagree (although I used to agree). I think the ability to recruit travels with you. Yes, it's nice to have certain ties to an area, but if you're coaching at OSU or Michigan and know how to handle HS coaches and kids, you'll have instant credibility anywhere you go in the region. I think of the success Urban had in Florida and what a guy like Jim Mora's done at UCLA and think you just need to know what you're doing means more than where you're doing it. The jobs that are top jobs are top jobs largely because they have easy access to gobs recruits, (and is really the biggest factor keeping UNL down).

I think you are probably right about the truly elite coaches like Nick Saban, Urban Meyer and Pete Carroll. There aren't more than 5-6 of those coaches in existence, though. I think fit is very important for most coaches out there. I'm certainly no expert, though.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 02, 2014, 04:07:02 PM »
KU is #1. They pay you to do nothing if you fail miserably, and it only takes 2 big 12 wins to succeed.
:adios:

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 02, 2014, 04:09:38 PM »
Not sure about Wisconsin at #15 but overall a good list. 
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 02, 2014, 04:11:10 PM »
Yeah, I mean their head coach left for Arkansas. It is a good list tho.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: December 02, 2014, 04:15:32 PM »

I think you are probably right about the truly elite coaches like Nick Saban, Urban Meyer and Pete Carroll. There aren't more than 5-6 of those coaches in existence, though. I think fit is very important for most coaches out there. I'm certainly no expert, though.

What about Jim Mora at UCLA? Jim Harbaugh at Stanford? Rich Rod at Arizona? (I know you mentioned him as a failure going to Michigan, but WVU and UM should really overlap quite a bit when it comes to recruiting territory - IMO he had other issues). (It's also hard to think of coaches who go to a new region at all, much less successfully).

don't know, it's interesting to think about.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 02, 2014, 04:16:03 PM »
Is Art Briles a candidate for any of these openings? 
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 02, 2014, 04:22:20 PM »
Miami is a dogshit job. The only positive they have is the recruiting area. I think the only worst jobs in the big 5 conferences in the states of Florida, Texas, and California are TCU and Cal. Miami has no facilities, not only do they play in an empty NFL stadium but their on=campus practice and workout facilities are horrendous. There past isn't even all that because their administration shies away from it. There are incredible expectations but without all of the benefits of having incredible expectations. No facilities, no money, no support, a new incoming president, and massive expectations from a vocal but cheap fan base. No thanks.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 02, 2014, 04:24:11 PM »

But in Iowa you have to deal with Iowans

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 02, 2014, 04:25:49 PM »
True.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 02, 2014, 04:26:37 PM »
Yeah, I mean their head coach left for Arkansas. It is a good list tho.

Yeah and Michigan State too like I said, but good job, good effort, bud. 
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 02, 2014, 04:28:02 PM »

What about Jim Mora at UCLA? Jim Harbaugh at Stanford? Rich Rod at Arizona? (I know you mentioned him as a failure going to Michigan, but WVU and UM should really overlap quite a bit when it comes to recruiting territory - IMO he had other issues). (It's also hard to think of coaches who go to a new region at all, much less successfully).

What do you think RichRod's issues were?
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 02, 2014, 04:29:26 PM »
Miami is a dogshit job. The only positive they have is the recruiting area. I think the only worst jobs in the big 5 conferences in the states of Florida, Texas, and California are TCU and Cal. Miami has no facilities, not only do they play in an empty NFL stadium but their on=campus practice and workout facilities are horrendous. There past isn't even all that because their administration shies away from it. There are incredible expectations but without all of the benefits of having incredible expectations. No facilities, no money, no support, a new incoming president, and massive expectations from a vocal but cheap fan base. No thanks.

I think its a better job than Texas Tech

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 02, 2014, 04:47:29 PM »

Jim Mora's father coached at UCLA and Washington, and he played football at Washington, so he was at least somewhat familiar with the west coast high school football landscape before taking the job.

I don't know why Rich Rod failed at Michigan. I thought he was a home run hire. It doesn't make much sense how somebody could have so much success at WVU and Arizona and so little at Michigan. Maybe he just needs a smaller spotlight. I don't think LHC Bill Snyder would have as much success as he has had at a "better" football job.

I think Harbaugh is probably just an elite coach. I think he would compete for Big 12 titles at KU.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 02, 2014, 04:50:59 PM »

What do you think RichRod's issues were?

Didn't tailor his offense to suit the players already there, hired Greg Robinson to be his DC, was an bad person. He had some great recruiting classes, though.