Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4086590 times)

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #33650 on: July 08, 2022, 12:15:43 AM »
From the co founder and editor of the swimswam news, eh?

They should partner up with swaim.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33651 on: July 08, 2022, 07:27:53 AM »
I trust swimswam more than I trust anyone else reporting on realignment.

Online BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #33652 on: July 08, 2022, 08:26:19 AM »

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33653 on: July 08, 2022, 09:15:29 AM »
https://twitter.com/Braden_Keith/status/1545054860478799873

Unless they are negotiating a 2035 start date this is BS. They ain't getting out of their GOR.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33654 on: July 08, 2022, 09:23:52 AM »
I think they just might. Swimswam sports his its finger on the pulse of all of this.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33655 on: July 08, 2022, 09:31:33 AM »
ESPN is pretty crafty, they probably figured it out

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #33656 on: July 08, 2022, 09:48:08 AM »
This ACC stuff sounds really hard to believe.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33657 on: July 08, 2022, 09:57:04 AM »
I sleep soundly knowing we have new leadership at the UP level of our university and that the collective group was engaged enough to higher this new commish who appears to have his crap together from a media rights perspective.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33658 on: July 08, 2022, 10:29:02 AM »
This ACC stuff sounds really hard to believe.

It’s already starting to fall apart. They’re looking at things like a 4 day mid season basketball tournament. The real question now is if ESPN wants to pay to keep the PAC a thing. It’s looking more & more like the new alliance was pushed more by the ACC than the PAC as an opportunity for the ACC to get more money.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33659 on: July 08, 2022, 10:32:59 AM »
How many ACC exits does it take to dissolve the conference?  Is it like the B12 which had or may still have a viability measure? 

Hmmm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33660 on: July 08, 2022, 10:54:14 AM »
What time is this CU board meeting?  I assume 4:20?

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33661 on: July 08, 2022, 11:14:47 AM »
I don't understand how magic scheduling or broadcasting is going to drastically affect payout money. I'm definitely curious to see if Big 12 payouts will be as favorable as we think they will be compared to PAC 12 payouts. If so, we can steal some PAC 12 schools and talk mad crap on everyone.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33662 on: July 08, 2022, 11:18:34 AM »
https://trojanswire.usatoday.com/2022/07/08/theres-a-reason-acc-pac-12-merger-has-more-momentum-than-pac-12-big-12-merger/
Trojans Wire talked to Buffaloes Wire and said this about the idea of Pac-12 and Big 12 schools coming together in a major collaboration:

The Pac-12 could merge with the Big 12, but after the overturn of Roe v. Wade, the idea of seeing liberal Pac-12 institutions in the same bed with conservative schools from the South Central Plains just doesn’t strike me as a likely outcome. If the Pac-12 had wanted to add Baylor or TCU or Houston, it would have done so last year after Texas and Oklahoma went to the SEC. There’s a reason that didn’t happen. The institutional and cultural fits do not exist, and in a reworked conference, no Pac-12 or Big 12 team will have the juice needed to really move the needle.

:rolleyes:

Offline WildcatNation

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33663 on: July 08, 2022, 11:39:00 AM »
https://trojanswire.usatoday.com/2022/07/08/theres-a-reason-acc-pac-12-merger-has-more-momentum-than-pac-12-big-12-merger/
Trojans Wire talked to Buffaloes Wire and said this about the idea of Pac-12 and Big 12 schools coming together in a major collaboration:

The Pac-12 could merge with the Big 12, but after the overturn of Roe v. Wade, the idea of seeing liberal Pac-12 institutions in the same bed with conservative schools from the South Central Plains just doesn’t strike me as a likely outcome. If the Pac-12 had wanted to add Baylor or TCU or Houston, it would have done so last year after Texas and Oklahoma went to the SEC. There’s a reason that didn’t happen. The institutional and cultural fits do not exist, and in a reworked conference, no Pac-12 or Big 12 team will have the juice needed to really move the needle.

So maddingly dumb lol. Do they think Arizona and Utah aren't conservative states? Also, what the hell does this matter when it comes to college athletics? Would they not join the SEC today if offered?

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33664 on: July 08, 2022, 11:42:08 AM »
 :ROFL:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33665 on: July 08, 2022, 12:15:40 PM »

So maddingly dumb lol. Do they think Arizona and Utah aren't conservative states? Also, what the hell does this matter when it comes to college athletics? Would they not join the SEC today if offered?

The title of that story is:
There's a reason ACC-Pac-12 merger has more momentum than Pac-12-Big 12 merger

What blue states are in the ACC other than New York and Massachusetts? The Pac 10 schools can't coexist with TCU and Baylor politically but they can with Wake Forest, Boston College, and Clemson?

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33666 on: July 08, 2022, 12:17:08 PM »
I'll be honest, there have been a couple times this week I have felt p. bad for Wazzu and Oregon State. The beavers should probably just stop and cancel their football stade renovation.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33667 on: July 08, 2022, 12:19:50 PM »
Mirrors many things that have been said here, but also has some good points and perspectives that were new to me.

https://twitter.com/Andy_Staples/status/1545429475432742912

Online BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #33668 on: July 08, 2022, 12:21:14 PM »

I've never understood this argument nor have I understood the academics argument. I'm not sure when - if ever - universities compete in academic competition within the conference? It seems like this only applies to sports. The only academic competitions that i can recall were not exclusive to other B12 schools.  Full disclosure: i am a hayseed

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33669 on: July 08, 2022, 01:32:03 PM »
Mirrors many things that have been said here, but also has some good points and perspectives that were new to me.

Not a ton of new info in this, but one of the better tidbits is that the SEC actually was going to accept TAMU and North Carolina in 2010 when the demise of the Big 12 was imminent. But, when Texas and OU decided to stay (instead of the Pac 12 dealio), A&M delayed its move and by 2011, UNC had decided to stay put.

So, the SEC took the leftovers that is/was Mizzou instead because they really wanted A&M. Had A&M and UNC moved in 2010, it's quite possible Mizzou would still be in the Big 12 to this day because the Big Ten repeatedly told them thanks, but no thanks and they wouldn't have another (better) place to be - particularly given that the SEC could potentially land much bigger fish like Clemson, Virginia, Florida State, etc.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33670 on: July 08, 2022, 01:37:34 PM »

They can't even give our man SwimSwam an @?

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #33671 on: July 08, 2022, 02:56:20 PM »

I always figured the “reason” the PAC 12 didn’t scoop up any of the Texas schools is because there is no way in hell they could have promised more money than what they were guaranteed in the Big 12.

Turns out all this time it was the pending Dobbs decision.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33672 on: July 08, 2022, 03:20:51 PM »
Seems like some Pac university admin types need to get out and get a feel for some other college campuses out there. 

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #33673 on: July 08, 2022, 04:27:14 PM »

https://theathletic.com/3410274/2022/07/08/college-football-realignment-tv-viewers/

measure the schools based on who wants to see them when they aren’t playing a team either in or headed to the Big Ten or SEC. So that’s what I did. I took the ratings spreadsheet I made last year* — which includes data from 2015-19 — and added 2021 data. I left out 2020 because the unevenness of the pandemic year skewed the numbers.

I then examined the games between teams that aren’t in or headed to the Big Ten or SEC (and aren’t Notre Dame) when they played other teams that aren’t in or headed to the Big Ten or SEC (and aren’t Notre Dame). Instead of four million, I set the cutline at one million. We still have the same issue of trying to decipher which school people tuned in to watch, but if a team that cracked a million at least 20 times in six seasons did it against a team that cracked a million twice in six seasons, it’s pretty easy to answer that question. It’s also pretty easy to imagine that if the team that cracked a million at least 20 times played in a league with a bunch of schools that regularly crack three or four million viewers, even more people would watch.

From 2015-19 and in 2021 there were 914 rated regular-season (no conference title games) televised games not involving Notre Dame or anyone who will be in the Big Ten or SEC.

• 284 of those games drew more than a million viewers. (By contrast, 732 of 951 games involving the Big Ten, SEC and/or Notre Dame drew more than one million viewers.)

Clemson
Florida State
Washington
Oregon
Miami
Washington State
Oklahoma State, Utah
Louisville, Stanford
North Carolina
Baylor, Colorado, Virginia Tech
TCU, West Virginia
Arizona State, Boise State
BYU, Cal, Pittsburgh
Cincinnati, NC State
Syracuse
Texas Tech, UCF, Virginia
Houston, USF, Wake Forest
Army, Boston College, Iowa State, Navy
Arizona, Georgia Tech, Memphis
Duke
Kansas State, SMU, Temple
Oregon State
Air Force, Colorado State, Kansas, Marshall, Tulsa, UConn, Utah State
1: Alcorn State, Appalachian State, Coastal Carolina, FAU, Kent State, N.C. Central, Rice, San Diego State, Nevada, Tulane
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33674 on: July 08, 2022, 05:24:52 PM »
Apologies if luke’d:

College football was betrayed by the adults who were supposed to protect it

Perspective by Sally Jenkins
Columnist
Updated July 8, 2022 at 2:14 p.m. EDT|Published July 8, 2022 at 9:29 a.m. EDT

The current state of college football is this: Across the nation, paunchy over-exalted ticket managers who title themselves athletic directors are racing in ungainly circles trying to find a padded, covering seat for their butts in a game of musical chairs. For years they cried that name, image and likeness payments to players would be a threat to the game’s tradition and uniqueness. It’s nothing compared to the destruction wrought by these administrative gluttons with their combination of treachery and ineptitude, who would give away a century to grab a television minute.

The 101-year-old Rose Bowl is in danger of collapsing into one of those tumbled-down structures you see on the slopes of old Rome, while the supposed business geniuses turn college football into something sickish that looks like three different tumors stuck together. They have arrived at a situation where Stanford, Texas Christian, Cincinnati and Central Florida could all wind up clapped into the same distended conference, in which players must take red eye flights home from games, just so said administrators can claim to be media honchos while covering their years of overdrafts.

All the people saying college football would lose the character that made it distinct if players were ever allowed NIL payments? They didn’t recognize that the real people leeching it of originality and distinctiveness were the ones sitting in the corner offices.

These functionaries would do any kind of business, no matter how unseemly, rather than do the most fundamental thing: balance sensible budgets in the name of academia. College athletics is supposed to be a break-even proposition, a nonprofit endeavor with education as its aim. Amateurism was never required for that. Simple integrity was. The right intention.

Instead, they have ruled college football with market panic and predatory practices. These continental leaps by schools toward creating bloated “superconferences” are not the result of the “rapidly changing sports media and college athletic landscapes,” as Southern Cal President Carol Folt tried to sell it disingenuously to her constituency. They are the result of the slow gathering of lousy practices over decades, which were the furthest thing from well-intentioned.

UCLA is frantically clutching at the end of a rope and swinging across the country to the Big Ten because it has apparently run up a $102.8 million deficit, which the Big Ten’s media rake-off will help alleviate. A good deal of the deficit is the inheritance left by former athletic director Dan Guerrero when he retired rich in 2020. As The Washington Post’s Will Hobson revealed in a devastating expose of college sports fiscal practices in 2015, Guerrero increased his salary from $299,00 to $920,000 between 2004 and 2014, though his duties remained the same.

Another of Guerrero’s bequests to the world of college athletics was to grow UCLA’s administrative staff from 91 to 141 employees and its non-coaching payroll from $9.1 million to $16 million in that span, after adjusting for inflation. On his watch, former football coach Chip Kelly was allowed to increase the “nutrition” budget for his team from $1 million to $5.4 million. Such excesses put these schools on a path toward catastrophe, even before a real one arrived with the coronavirus pandemic.

But the frenzied economic climate goes back much further than this kind of disastrous bloating of athletic departments in the past 20 years, the $50 million gross misallocations to indoor waterfalls and locker rooms like first-class yacht cabins.

It dates to the powers schools’ subversion of Supreme Court’s 1984 antitrust ruling in the case of NCAA v. Board of Regents of the University of Oklahoma, which stripped the NCAA of its ability to regulate college football’s TV contracts and team appearances on the air. The ruling was intended to be a corrective to the NCAA’s overbearing exercise of its powers, but it didn’t recognize there is a legitimate state regulatory interest in curbing the excess profiteering of athletic department scoundrels who are simply using the kids for skim.

The University of Georgia’s president at the time, Fred Davison, made clear why the big football schools were suing to strip the NCAA of regulatory control over TV rights. He wanted an end to “a tyranny of the majority to impose itself on the commercial enterprise.” Why should Georgia have to split airtime and media profits with a mass of smaller colleges? Even then, the ministers at the power schools were talking about forming a single “superconference,” in which the peons would be brushed aside so the giants could compete solely against giants — and not have to profit share with Rutgers or Hofstra or Vanderbilt. They’ve been trying to get to this consolidated-wealth point for decades and decades.

In a dissent, Justices Byron “Whizzer” White and William Rehnquist recognized this ulterior motive and where it led. White wrote that the court was “subjugating the NCAA’s educational goals” to “purely competitive commercialism.” And the end game would be total cannibalism. They were exactly right.

So now Virginia, North Carolina, Clemson and Florida State may be flirting with the Southeastern Conference, and the Big 12 may try to swallow half a dozen Pac-12 schools, not because it’s good for the players or the student body or will lead to interesting and uplifting competition, but because of the mega-broadcasting rights deals. And for those who are left out, it could mean the gutting of entire athletic departments.

If college football is anything more than pageantry and fevered boosterism, it’s because there is something worth teaching in it. It doesn’t make you naive to say college athletics can and should have a genuine moral-educational component. In the right hands, the game is a discipline that has absolutely nothing to do with money or amateurism. It teaches a certain brand of, for lack of a better word, citizenship. It’s all about restraint of selfish desires for a larger goal, in the name of a collective prideful endeavor. When you strip the final vestiges of that away, now the game truly does become unrecognizable.

This “new landscape” of college football is not new at all but rather the black decay of a half century of totally unrestrained commercialization by the administrators. And the game they’re blighting is likely to be a lot less captivating and worthwhile as a result. That’s what will ultimately kill interest in the sport, not the cash in the pockets of the kids.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.