Author Topic: Lawn Care  (Read 111925 times)

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
Re: Lawn Care
« Reply #725 on: January 27, 2016, 03:20:25 PM »
hello everyone -

I'm gonna get crazy on the lawn this year, however, I'm not lawn smart. When do I need to pre-seed or whatever to make sure my lawn balls out like the neighbors.

March or some rough ridin' crap?

October or November

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: January 27, 2016, 03:21:29 PM »
oh. uhhh so now what? just punt 2016?
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: January 27, 2016, 03:33:32 PM »
If it's in decent shape I'd hold out until fall.  Use this spring and summer to get rid of weeds.  Sure you could seed and/or hire a guy to aerate or verticut but it's money better spent in the fall (usually).  If it's in bad shape ya seed verticut and water water water especially when it's not raining/hot.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: January 27, 2016, 03:36:11 PM »
oh. uhhh so now what? just punt 2016?

aerate if you have paths in your yard from dog, kids, etc in april or something.  Also, fertilize and do a pre-emergent.  Just keep the weeds down.  Then, in like Sept, seed.  In something like Nov, winterize. 

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: January 27, 2016, 03:37:55 PM »
you are both too kind to me. may the gods keep the wolves in hills and the women in your beds.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 03:43:42 PM by AppleJack »
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: January 27, 2016, 03:40:22 PM »
Don't forget the miller lites
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: January 27, 2016, 03:54:05 PM »
you are both too kind to me. may the gods keep the wolves in hills and the women in your beds.

:fatty:

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: January 27, 2016, 04:29:33 PM »
I've decided to do my own yardwork at the new house.  With the pool, my yard is very small. I was going to go with a push reel mower.  Anyone have any experience with them?
i have one that came with the house (like, it was sitting behind the garage after i bought it)  its never worked very well, it'd seize up alot.  When it did run, it seemed to work fine, and it wasn't even that sharp.   

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: January 27, 2016, 04:32:12 PM »
Also, after this thread alerted me to the fact that half of my yard is a giant patch of crab grass, i seeded last fall and have some pretty good looking grass in all the old places.  Since i seeded last fall i wasn't able to winterize or put down anything for the henbit.

Im going to put down preemergant for the crabgrass, but is there anything i can do about the henbit pictured above this late?  (Id always heard you had to put stuff down for it in the fall) IRC i have a patch in the back that comes back every year.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: January 27, 2016, 08:22:44 PM »
My soil is hard and water almost just runs off it. I aerate every year really good and spray this stuff on it that is suppose to loosen the soil but it doesn't appear to be working. Anything else I should try?  Also, I'm looking for a decent landscaping co in KC to maybe clear out some bushes and trees and then sod the area. Anyone have any recs?

TIA

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #735 on: January 27, 2016, 08:32:57 PM »
I had a very clay rich soil at the old joint.  Several lawn care places told me that the best thing I could do is mix in compost and peat.  I aerated and verticut a lot and would spread compost/peat mix in the holes/cuts.  Then I would seed and cover with a little more compost.  It took three yrs or so, but I went from having about 1/3rd of my yard not able to grow grass to a full lawn that looked really good. 

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: January 27, 2016, 08:34:45 PM »
Knowing the associated timing and cost/quantity of the compost now, I should have just had a.couple loads of black dirt delivered, spread it, rototilled it into the top several inches of the shitty yard, then seeded.  Probably could have resolved in one yr vs 3.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
Lawn Care
« Reply #737 on: January 27, 2016, 08:42:03 PM »
You need to post your location (like stupid Fritz did) and the type of grass you are trying to grow. Those are two important points that must be known.

Fits, call Ryan Lawn and Tree. Those guys are top notch.

AJ, seed during a warm stretch in Feb or March. Get some more grass growing to assist the process next fall. Yes, you missed the optimum time for NE KS over seeding sept/October, but if you have a week stand, you can still get it established late winter so that the majority of it will survive the pre emergent herbicide. Do not skip the pre emergent. Get it out on time. Call your local extension service :ksugrad: for proper timing.

Herr: anything with 2,4-d or salt of dicamba will setback or kill that henbit. Spray in the middle of a 4-5 day stretch of 60 degree days. If it is off by a couple of degrees or a day, don't worry. You will slow it down enough that it won't impact your lawns green up in the spring. Winterize next year.

Edit: 5:7 on a Wednesday night. You get what you pay for.

Gonna win 'em all! (using Tapatalk)

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: January 27, 2016, 08:47:57 PM »
You need to post your location (like stupid Fritz did) and the type of grass you are trying to grow. Those are two important points that must be known.

Fits, call Ryan Lawn and Tree. Those guys are top notch.

AJ, seed during a warm stretch in Feb or March. Get some more grass growing to assist the process next fall. Yes, you missed the optimum time for NE KS over seeding sept/October, but if you have a week stand, you can still get it established late winter so that the majority of it will survive the pre emergent herbicide. Do not skip the pre emergent. Get it out on time. Call your local extension service :ksugrad: for proper timing.

Herr: anything with 2,4-d or salt of dicamba will setback or kill that henbit. Spray in the middle of a 4-5 day stretch of 60 degree days. If it is off by a couple of degrees or a day, don't worry. You will slow it down enough that it won't impact your lawns green up in the spring. Winterize next year.

Edit: 5:7 on a Wednesday night. You get what you pay for.

Ryan may be top notch but they aren't worth the money IMO. I had them doing the fertilizing and such for a couple years and I had just as many weeds as when I did it myself. It was nice being able to yell at someone about the weeds but still not worth the money.

The Big Train

« Reply #739 on: January 27, 2016, 08:50:41 PM »
You get what you pay for

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: January 27, 2016, 08:52:32 PM »
Wow! Which program were you on? They do a great job, but if they sucked for you, sorry to hear.
(Not Big Ryan, so all of you dumbasses can cool your jets)

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: January 27, 2016, 08:53:18 PM »

You get what you pay for
eff off

The Big Train

« Reply #742 on: January 27, 2016, 08:54:34 PM »
 :lol:

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: January 27, 2016, 08:56:43 PM »
You don't even have a lawn! Are you reading this because dad put you in charge this year?

The Big Train

« Reply #744 on: January 27, 2016, 08:59:48 PM »
Chill out grandpa  :lol:

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: January 27, 2016, 09:04:26 PM »
That was my single best pi ever. I don't have anything else to offer.

The Big Train

« Reply #746 on: January 27, 2016, 09:06:37 PM »
Except the best advice for what you pay for  :lol:  :Woot:

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: January 27, 2016, 09:13:22 PM »
Wow! Which program were you on? They do a great job, but if they sucked for you, sorry to hear.
(Not Big Ryan, so all of you dumbasses can cool your jets)

The they do stuff every couple of months and leave a little sign in my yard but I still had weeds program  :dunno:

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: January 27, 2016, 09:15:08 PM »
Did you ever call them back and complain about weeds?

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: January 27, 2016, 09:16:20 PM »
I can't believe people still see lawns as a desirable thing to have.  Once us millenials are middle aged no one will have them anymore.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best