Author Topic: Another One For Our Guy Daniel  (Read 163488 times)

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Another One For Our Guy Daniel
« Reply #750 on: May 13, 2014, 11:53:40 AM »
waters is going to put up bryce petty numbers and were going to win the dr pepper

dan was great. i wish him the best. well be fine without him.
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: May 13, 2014, 11:55:34 AM »
42 is right in that our RB's better be ready to skettibrain it up.  Otherwise, we have a bunch of 3 and 0's to look forward to and a very tired D giving up points in the fourth quarter.

Offline ydarg2012

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • Snyder 4 President
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: May 13, 2014, 11:57:41 AM »
42 is right in that our RB's better be ready to skettibrain it up.  Otherwise, we have a bunch of 3 and 0's to look forward to and a very tired D giving up points in the fourth quarter.

:pray: Please oh please can Dalvin be a complete stud?

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #753 on: May 13, 2014, 11:59:11 AM »

I don't think this is necessarily true.

I think we'll work a better intermediate passing game into the mix this year.  Snyder historically opens up the playbook for a senior QB and let's them take more risks.

Last year, Jake seemed to throw a lot of short stuff and long stuff.  I think we'll see a lot more diversity in the passing game where we throw more stuff in the 10-20 yard range.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: May 13, 2014, 12:00:03 PM »
However, michigancat also raises a point in that Sams never really got a chance to establish a connection with any receiver, much less TLBL, and the majority of his bad plays came in situations where he was being forced to make something happen. I don't see acknowledging the Waters-TLBL connection as being beneficial and criticizing the coaching staff for not giving Sams enough opportunities to prove himself as being mutually exclusive. The other problem is next year somebody is going to have to step up in a huge way at RB now, otherwise TLBL is going to be double covered, Waters will be forced to make secondary and tertiary decisions in his passing game, and could lose his rhythm as defenses adjust to a one-dimensional offense. We all know that Snyder is flexible and can either fully rely on the run game or use it to set up the pass, but it's hard to imagine his gameplans being successful without something resembling a run game (which is where we're at now with losing Sams) since it's been integral to his schemes every year in some way or another.

BTW, I certainly think the coaching staff did some good things after adjusting to last year's bad start, my main point was just to point out the ridiculous, bordering on cultish mindset of some of the more brash "never question Snyder" crowd.

I agree with nearly everything you say.

I will only say that Sams 2 worst plays (the late INTs vs OSU and BU) weren't necessarily situations were he was forced to try to make a play. Both came on advantageous down and distance situations (2nd and 2, 1st and 10) with plenty of time left on the clock (around 4 minutes in each game). Granted, we were behind in each, but both were bad decisions. I can see someone saying that perhaps the coaches shouldn't have put Sams in the situation to make those throws, but that's also counteractive to the argument that he wasn't allowed to throw. However, neither throw should be evidence that a) he was a bad quarterback or b) that he should have lost the job, but I do think both played a hand in how Sams was used the remainder of the season.

The most frustrating thing to me about those late game situations is that we were in them largely because Waters played terribly in both of those games and greatly contributed in putting us there. If Sams had played the whole game and still lost at the end the way he did, I would have been much more critical of him. I think we would have won at OSU if Waters didn't get a drive to fumble into his own end zone, and we would have beaten Baylor if Sams wouldn't have gotten injured.

Sams was a very raw QB who really needed to get a lot better in the passing game, but he was still so effective at moving the ball that I think we would have been much, much better off starting him at QB and taking the bumps along the way. We didn't beat anybody last year that I would say was an above-average team. I think we would have won just as many games with Sams at QB, and probably would have beaten NDSU, also.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: May 13, 2014, 12:01:07 PM »

I think we'll work a better intermediate passing game into the mix this year.  Snyder historically opens up the playbook for a senior QB and let's them take more risks.

Last year, Jake seemed to throw a lot of short stuff and long stuff.  I think we'll see a lot more diversity in the passing game where we throw more stuff in the 10-20 yard range.

I really hope so.  It will be difficult watching if we don't.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: May 13, 2014, 12:10:19 PM »
I think people forget (or maybe they don't know) that Sams was hurt for 7-10 days in the fall and missed practice. IMO that's the main reason he didn't play more against NDSU.

Also, I think its really a reach to say that Sams is an NFL player. He is very quick laterally and can make people miss, but its not like he showed break away speed last year. We actually talked about that quite a bit during the season. Sams had plenty of 10-20 yard runs that were really nice, but its not like he broke away for 30 or 40+ yarders where he he ran away from people. Hubert ran away from people much more than Sams did.

Offline Bqqkie Pimp

• qoEMAW ambassador
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • qoEMAW's official representative to goEMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: May 13, 2014, 12:20:38 PM »
There are a lot of variables that go into a decision like this... Family (both blood and "K-State family), personal reasons, proximity to loved ones with health issues, playing time, interactions with coach(es), etc.

All play a part and to varying degrees.  It's not nearly as cut & dried as you all want to make it out to be.   At the end of the day, there should be some level of happiness/passion that is inherent in playing the game and that was becoming a challenge for our guy.

The likelihood of him getting into the NFL is "iffy" at best.  With that said, he's really got two more years of playing competitive football unless he opts for the arena league.  Assuming that a "Boykin-esque" package was not created for him during the spring, then I understand why he might want to step down to a competitive FCS level team to play the vast majority of the offensive snaps and hopefully make a playoff run.

As a fan/supporter of K-State football, the selfish side of me is sad/angry/disappointed in this news.  However, I also realize how short the window of "football opportunity" stays open.  Lots of kids choose to go play at a level they can stay on the field full-time... It's just rare when it happens like this.

Personally, I wish the kid the absolute best in whatever he chooses to be and to me he'll be #FAMILY for #LIFE.

:kstatriot:
bears are fast...

Offline ydarg2012

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • Snyder 4 President
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: May 13, 2014, 12:24:23 PM »
There are a lot of variables that go into a decision like this... Family (both blood and "K-State family), personal reasons, proximity to loved ones with health issues, playing time, interactions with coach(es), etc.

All play a part and to varying degrees.  It's not nearly as cut & dried as you all want to make it out to be.   At the end of the day, there should be some level of happiness/passion that is inherent in playing the game and that was becoming a challenge for our guy.

The likelihood of him getting into the NFL is "iffy" at best.  With that said, he's really got two more years of playing competitive football unless he opts for the arena league.  Assuming that a "Boykin-esque" package was not created for him during the spring, then I understand why he might want to step down to a competitive FCS level team to play the vast majority of the offensive snaps and hopefully make a playoff run.

As a fan/supporter of K-State football, the selfish side of me is sad/angry/disappointed in this news.  However, I also realize how short the window of "football opportunity" stays open.  Lots of kids choose to go play at a level they can stay on the field full-time... It's just rare when it happens like this.

Personally, I wish the kid the absolute best in whatever he chooses to be and to me he'll be #FAMILY for #LIFE.

:kstatriot:

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: May 13, 2014, 12:26:03 PM »
times like this really show you who the terrible and stupid people on goEMAW are
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline ydarg2012

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • Snyder 4 President
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: May 13, 2014, 12:26:59 PM »
times like this really show you who the terrible and stupid people on goEMAW are

Hey, that's just like, your opinion, man.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: May 13, 2014, 12:34:05 PM »
also, great prairie fire everyone, hope this one burns out of control and we lose an outbuilding.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline SPEmaw

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: May 13, 2014, 12:37:58 PM »
Can someone please tell me where they are coming up with this "he doesn't work hard enough" crap?

From guys who have earned the trust of the staff. Obvs not Fitz so don't even say it. HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO SAY IT, GUYS!!?!/   :curse:
Please don't ban me, Mr. Dave.

Offline Scary Smart

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: May 13, 2014, 12:38:29 PM »
ydarg, we get it. Please stop posting for a while. tia

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: May 13, 2014, 12:40:37 PM »

:pray: Please oh please can Dalvin be a complete stud?
I'm only going to tell you this one more time, it's 4 star D Blocker.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #765 on: May 13, 2014, 12:46:22 PM »
“Daniel requested to be able to continue his playing career at an FCS institution so that he could be closer to some of his aging family members,” Currie said. “We appreciate his contributions and wish him the best.”

Like a boss.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: May 13, 2014, 12:48:01 PM »
“Daniel requested to be able to continue his playing career at an FCS institution so that he could be closer to some of his aging family members,” Currie said. “We appreciate his contributions and wish him the best.”

Like a boss.
:thumbs:

Offline Fedor

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: May 13, 2014, 12:50:38 PM »

Like a boss.
Someone @ Jay Bilas
I was wrong and I apologize. - michigancat 8/22/14

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: May 13, 2014, 12:51:25 PM »
Wherever he goes I am going to bandwagon so rough ridin' hard.

Offline massofcatfan

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: May 13, 2014, 12:52:06 PM »
I had two songs in the hopper for this season ready to go and they were both about daniel. and also this hurts really really bad.

Daniel is travelling tonight on a plane
I can see the red tail lights heading for Spain
Oh and I can see Daniel waving goodbye
God it looks like Daniel, must be the clouds in my eyes
I want to wake up in a city that never sleeps, etc.

Offline ydarg2012

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • Snyder 4 President
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: May 13, 2014, 12:52:51 PM »

Hell yeah. I want a Sams Jersey from wherever he goes. 

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: May 13, 2014, 12:53:14 PM »

Hell yeah. I want a Sams Jersey from wherever he goes.

shut up ydarg

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #772 on: May 13, 2014, 12:53:22 PM »

GO GET HIM BILL

Offline ManBearTurkey

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: May 13, 2014, 12:57:11 PM »
Brand new tackles, no running back, terrible TEs and having a small wide receiver as your primary weapon with a quarterback who is terrible at short and intermediate passes sounds like a great combo.

Let's hope Lockett's yearly injury make him miss games against good teams and not the bad ones. We will need all hands on deck to beat the bottom of the conference this year.

Very worried about the early road game at Iowa State now that we won't be able to just run Sams to mask any early season rust/deficiencies and the UTEP game coming off the Auburn game. Season could be off the tracks when Tech shows up, which is a must win game for bowl eligibility. This season isn't split between good teams at the beginning of the schedule and terrible teams at the end like last year.

Sams leaving/Waters starting just put a ton of pressure on Derricott and Co. Our defense will be tested with as many sixty second three and outs we are going to see, especially in the first half as we wait for Waters to find his "rhythm". There might to be a lot of multiple score deficits this year at half time.

Offline because emaw

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: May 13, 2014, 01:01:53 PM »

I really hope so.  It will be difficult watching if we don't.

IMO, we needed Daniel this year in the same capacity he played toward the end of the season last year. Bring him in for special situations - just enough to give opposing D-coordinators a whole different package for which to prepare.
In other words, he never should have switched positions. If he had stayed at QB, he never would have transferred, probably would have been the starter his senior year and K-State would be better off both years - not to mention better for Daniel.
Having a QB who poses very little threat to run (Waters) and a shaky running back situation will cost this team wins.
We NEEDED Sams, albeit as a second-stringer.
And if Waters goes down, well, I don't even want to think about it. It's something similar to Schwinn.  :cry: