Author Topic: goEMAW.com bbq, smoking, grilling, etc. thread!  (Read 480335 times)

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
Re: goEMAW.com bbq, smoking, grilling, etc. thread!
« Reply #2725 on: June 20, 2015, 01:57:10 PM »
Cdub, treat that chicken just like you would if you were roasting it.  Also, stuff has come out lately proving that beer can method is worthless bs.  Stuff that cavity with a quarter onion, a bay leaf, a little celery,  and some seasoned salt and seasoned pep.  Rub skin with olive oil and salt/pep.  It will be delish.

I have also stuffed with apples and bacon before and it was also great.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2726 on: June 20, 2015, 02:13:01 PM »
I like an onion in mine, beer cans can get messy

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2727 on: June 20, 2015, 02:22:00 PM »
Love the dryness Tom  :love:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline cDubya

• Coal Grab'r
  • Katpak'r
  • KCCO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2728 on: June 20, 2015, 06:30:40 PM »

Bit of a rub and into the fridge for tonight. Up early tomorrow to throw it on,  but this crazy tropical storm is screwing with my timing. WV vetting a tropical storm...  :runaway:

@CNS Debating the apple in the bird,  may grab one tomorrow and throw it in too.

Excited to see how this turns out.

Happy Father's Day weekend,  boys.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2729 on: June 20, 2015, 06:43:51 PM »
Peel that apple first.  Also, onion in there too.

Offline cDubya

• Coal Grab'r
  • Katpak'r
  • KCCO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2730 on: June 20, 2015, 07:38:32 PM »
Peel that apple first.  Also, onion in there too.

Cool,  thanks!

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2731 on: June 21, 2015, 05:42:16 PM »
Got a super simple Brinkman smoker for Father's Day, please tell me what a  surprisingly super simple recipe for ribs is.  Talk me through it like I were a child with a moderate to severe learning disability

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2732 on: June 21, 2015, 05:52:31 PM »
Grilled some Lamb chops on the old school Weber. And no Daris they are not from Dillons that i bought and threw on the grill for the pic.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2733 on: June 21, 2015, 06:05:58 PM »
Got a super simple Brinkman smoker for Father's Day, please tell me what a  surprisingly super simple recipe for ribs is.  Talk me through it like I were a child with a moderate to severe learning disability
1. remove the membrane
2. Seasoning and or rub
3. Smoke at 225 deg for 3 hrs
4. Wrap in foil, back on grill for 2 hrs
5. Unwrap and back on grill for one hr.

Stuff your face.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2734 on: June 21, 2015, 06:46:24 PM »
1. remove the membrane
2. Seasoning and or rub
3. Smoke at 225 deg for 3 hrs
4. Wrap in foil, back on grill for 2 hrs
5. Unwrap and back on grill for one hr.

Stuff your face.

What is membrane on ribs?
This unit does not have a temp gauge with numbers.  Buy one or is 225 "ideal"

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2735 on: June 21, 2015, 07:08:15 PM »
225-250 is fine
  Buy one that goes on the grill and put it about 4 " away from the meat. 

Membrane is on the back.  Thin disgusting layer of membrane that will prevent smoke and rub penetration from that side.  It's removal is kinda hard to describe in text.  YouTube it.

Offline cDubya

• Coal Grab'r
  • Katpak'r
  • KCCO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2736 on: June 22, 2015, 09:27:59 AM »
 Guys, guys...  Guys!...

I cant even describe how happy I am with my first try at smoking a whole chicken. Success is an understatement.  Look at this crap...

Put a rub on Saturday night...

Two hours in...

4 1/2 hours,  and at a perfect 165°...

Resting...

Aaaaaaand a leg for good measure...

Hickory smoked,  and with the onion stuffed inside as well,  thanks for the tip there CNS. No apple just because I forgot to get one.

Also, for anyone who doesnt have a digital remote thermometer,  go get one. This was so much easier and more accurate because of that wonderful little gadget. The dome thermometer was anywhere from 25-75° off at any given moment. Okat,  I'll shut up now.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #2737 on: June 22, 2015, 09:33:37 AM »
225-250 is fine

Membrane is on the back.  Thin disgusting layer of membrane that will prevent smoke and rub penetration from that side.  It's removal is kinda hard to describe in text.  YouTube it.

also called the silverskin for it's appearance.   Take a butterknife, a piece of paper towel around the blade for friction, and use your thumb to grab the membrane between thumb and knife and slowly peel it off.   Reposition dry paper towel as needed for grip.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #2738 on: June 22, 2015, 09:34:45 AM »
Looks pretty damn good, cDub.  Were you able to get the skin crispy?
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2739 on: June 22, 2015, 09:46:34 AM »
225-250 is fine

also called the silverskin for it's appearance.   Take a butterknife, a piece of paper towel around the blade for friction, and use your thumb to grab the membrane between thumb and knife and slowly peel it off.   Reposition dry paper towel as needed for grip.
I saw a guy on DDD start in the middle, make it so he could get his finger under it from one side to the other, then just pull and it peeled off in both directions (out from center) at once.  I have been doing that ever since.  It is so much easier.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #2740 on: June 22, 2015, 10:06:34 AM »
225-250 is fine

I saw a guy on DDD start in the middle, make it so he could get his finger under it from one side to the other, then just pull and it peeled off in both directions (out from center) at once.  I have been doing that ever since.  It is so much easier.

Hmmm, I'll have to try it, but seems like mine are always real tough to get under anywhere but an end.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2741 on: June 22, 2015, 10:10:06 AM »
Grilled some Lamb chops on the old school Weber. And no Daris they are not from Dillons that i bought and threw on the grill for the pic.

Those were so good.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #2742 on: June 22, 2015, 10:18:43 AM »
Ms. wacky's bro still makes fun of me for how I ate my lamb chop at our wedding that we attended in san fran. I was severely sick out there from all the seafood we were eating and I lost a lot of weight. By the time the wedding dinner came around, I was finally starving. I cut as much meat off the bone as I could, but there were some parts I couldn't get to, so I went a head and picked it up and ate it off the bone. He was embarrassed by this.  :don'tcare:

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2743 on: June 22, 2015, 10:53:19 AM »

Ms. wacky's bro still makes fun of me for how I ate my lamb chop at our wedding that we attended in san fran. I was severely sick out there from all the seafood we were eating and I lost a lot of weight. By the time the wedding dinner came around, I was finally starving. I cut as much meat off the bone as I could, but there were some parts I couldn't get to, so I went a head and picked it up and ate it off the bone. He was embarrassed by this.  :don'tcare:

Are you allergic to seafood? :confused:
:adios:

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2744 on: June 22, 2015, 10:54:46 AM »
There are few joys in life greater than eating meat directly off the bone.  Hold your head high.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2745 on: June 22, 2015, 10:55:47 AM »

Are you allergic to seafood? :confused:
I think the mercury count was high out there at the time and my stomach wasn't ready/used to it.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2746 on: June 22, 2015, 10:56:13 AM »
There are few joys in life greater than eating meat directly off the bone.  Hold your head high.
:thumbs:

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2747 on: June 22, 2015, 11:14:25 AM »
Yep, I had not have made creamed spinach to go along with the chops and corn on the cob there would have been no need for utensils at all.

Offline cDubya

• Coal Grab'r
  • Katpak'r
  • KCCO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2748 on: June 22, 2015, 12:51:42 PM »
Looks pretty damn good, cDub.  Were you able to get the skin crispy?

Somewhat,  yeah. More so than I expected. Opened the vents the last 20-30 minutes and let the heat pick up a bit. Dont know if that is the contributing factor or not,  but it was great.

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #2749 on: June 26, 2015, 12:45:07 AM »
Roommate has one of those gas/coal combo grills. Gonna try my first true smoking experience either tomorrow or Saturday. Was thinking something super easy, like chicken thighs. Anyone got tips for some killer thighs?

The plan was either Apple or cherry wood, with the coals/wood opposite the vent and the meat over a foil pan of cider or water. Brine the thighs for a few hours, rub liberally and cook at like 200-250.