Author Topic: travel thread  (Read 1334413 times)

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
Re: travel thread
« Reply #11150 on: July 26, 2018, 04:35:36 PM »
any Bend, OR protips? Portland for a day? (Portland started this thread IIRC!!!)

There’s a KATPAK in Portland 8/18-19.

Offline Catchacold

• Combo-Fan
  • Z28gY2F0cy4=
    • View Profile
    • wildcatgrowl.com
« Reply #11151 on: July 26, 2018, 05:04:44 PM »
Drive McKenzie pass and hike to Proxy falls. (pro tip: come in the early summer when the road is closed to traffic and bike it)

Also the well known brewpubs like Deschutes and 10 Barrel are good, but there can be a wait. I prefer McMenamins. Or Bend Brewing. Or... there are many options.

The usual recommendos. (Popular with good reason, but you won't find solitude or parking spots on weekends)
 - Tumalo Falls and North Fork trail. Beautiful hiking up the creek beyond the main falls.
 - Green lakes trail. Nice family hike. mosquitos.
 - Any of the lake resorts would have fun stuff for the family (Elk Lake and Cultus are closest. Or if you drive McKenzie, loop back on 126 and you'll go past a couple more that way)

If not traveling with family I would rent a Tallboy from Pine Mountain and ride the crap out of it. (see bendtrails.org).  If with kids maybe the trails near the town of Sisters.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11152 on: July 31, 2018, 09:53:23 AM »
Drive McKenzie pass and hike to Proxy falls. (pro tip: come in the early summer when the road is closed to traffic and bike it)

Also the well known brewpubs like Deschutes and 10 Barrel are good, but there can be a wait. I prefer McMenamins. Or Bend Brewing. Or... there are many options.

The usual recommendos. (Popular with good reason, but you won't find solitude or parking spots on weekends)
 - Tumalo Falls and North Fork trail. Beautiful hiking up the creek beyond the main falls.
 - Green lakes trail. Nice family hike. mosquitos.
 - Any of the lake resorts would have fun stuff for the family (Elk Lake and Cultus are closest. Or if you drive McKenzie, loop back on 126 and you'll go past a couple more that way)

If not traveling with family I would rent a Tallboy from Pine Mountain and ride the crap out of it. (see bendtrails.org).  If with kids maybe the trails near the town of Sisters.
Thank you

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #11153 on: August 10, 2018, 03:02:10 PM »
Hey wacky, be safe out there this weekend.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #11154 on: August 10, 2018, 03:07:10 PM »
You too, bud. What's this weekend? Am I missing something? :confused:

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #11155 on: August 10, 2018, 03:19:05 PM »
I thought you were going to the rally in DC?

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #11156 on: August 10, 2018, 03:24:57 PM »
 :dubious:

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11157 on: August 11, 2018, 12:11:02 AM »
:runaway:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #11158 on: August 11, 2018, 07:07:06 AM »
Flying up front to Edinburgh and back from London in 2 1/2 weeks. Staying at the Waldorf Edinburg and the London Edition. Going to be elite AF. Will post international first class lounge pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11159 on: August 11, 2018, 08:13:03 AM »
Flying up front to Edinburg and back from London in 2 1/2 weeks. Staying at the Waldorf Edinburg and the London Edition. Going to be elite AF. Will post international first class lounge pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did these two years ago....can't think of any good pro tips.....drink scotch.

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #11160 on: August 11, 2018, 12:27:05 PM »
Was in Vienna 6 weeks ago, saw a homeless guy masturbating in public while asking people for food.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #11161 on: August 11, 2018, 12:52:57 PM »
And you didn't even say hello.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11162 on: August 11, 2018, 01:53:52 PM »
No way I could keep it up in public, that’s pretty impressive.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11163 on: August 11, 2018, 03:07:31 PM »
Guys, Portland is a very nice place and stereotypically Portland everywhere you go.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11164 on: August 12, 2018, 12:39:40 AM »
OR or ME?
Guys, Portland is a very nice place and stereotypically Portland everywhere you go.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #11165 on: August 12, 2018, 08:13:23 AM »
I don't even even know what a Portland, ME stereotype would be so I'm assuming he's talking about OR

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11166 on: August 12, 2018, 08:38:32 AM »
I mean like three posts ago I asked for Bend, OR tips

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11167 on: August 12, 2018, 09:03:01 AM »
Did you drive? Last piece of the road trip I need to map out is where to stay for what I plan to be just 1 overnight spot between SF and Seattle. I’m hoping to get to Eugene but that may be too ambitious. 

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11168 on: August 12, 2018, 10:38:45 AM »
I won't apologize for pak'd posts
I mean like three posts ago I asked for Bend, OR tips

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11169 on: August 12, 2018, 11:51:43 AM »
Did you drive? Last piece of the road trip I need to map out is where to stay for what I plan to be just 1 overnight spot between SF and Seattle. I’m hoping to get to Eugene but that may be too ambitious.
We kind of made a circle with lots of stops coming up but are driving straight to SF from Portland today. We'll see how it goes.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11170 on: August 12, 2018, 12:56:08 PM »
We kind of made a circle with lots of stops coming up but are driving straight to SF from Portland today. We'll see how it goes.

Now that's ambitious! 

So I'll be on that reverse path same day of the week and time.  My midpoint would be Medford, OR, give or take a town.  Look out the windows and see if that looks adequate to hang for a night, or if I should push on to Eugene.  Could PAK w/Squawkstin Beak!

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11171 on: August 12, 2018, 10:37:33 PM »

Now that's ambitious! 

So I'll be on that reverse path same day of the week and time.  My midpoint would be Medford, OR, give or take a town.  Look out the windows and see if that looks adequate to hang for a night, or if I should push on to Eugene.  Could PAK w/Squawkstin Beak!
It wasn't that bad. Took 10.5 hours total and would have been quicker if not for normal Sunday afternoon traffic between Sacramento and SF. I'd probably shoot for Eugene because it's the closest Hyatt (only 8k/night when I looked). We actually stopped at a courtyard Marriott in Medford on the way to Crater lake and Bend and it's a dumpy town but our hotel was fine. Very easy drive from SF.

But really, Portland (Oregon) is very nice.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11172 on: August 12, 2018, 11:02:54 PM »
T-Y!  I should be fine to wait to see how early and how I feel that Sunday morning and lining something up accordingly before I start driving.

I'm going to Portland Saturday.  JMart and I are going to the Adult Soapbox Derby.  Stereotypes!

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11173 on: August 12, 2018, 11:11:46 PM »
T-Y!  I should be fine to wait to see how early and how I feel that Sunday morning and lining something up accordingly before I start driving.

I'm going to Portland Saturday.  JMart and I are going to the Adult Soapbox Derby.  Stereotypes!

lllloooooolllll this morning they were shutting down like half the bridges so people could ride bikes across them. I mean everywhere I looked I saw a Portlandia sketch and it sounds like you're going to one too.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11174 on: August 12, 2018, 11:18:31 PM »

lllloooooolllll this morning they were shutting down like half the bridges so people could ride bikes across them. I mean everywhere I looked I saw a Portlandia sketch and it sounds like you're going to one too.

Absolutely.  First time I went, we were in and out in less than 18 hours for a Blazers playoff game, only seeing a pretty Portland-y breakfast place as we left.  2nd time was for the Beasley game and we also didn't have to mix it up much.  This time will be 100% locals trying to prove how weird they are. 

My first stop is the showroom of the company that makes the dog collars I like, made of recycled material and with bottle openers attached.