Author Topic: travel thread  (Read 1334523 times)

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: travel thread
« Reply #11325 on: October 22, 2018, 01:40:52 PM »
Going to New Orleans with Mrs. CF3 for her birthday. We wanted to find a spot we've never been, with good food and live jazz, so this seemed ideal.

Our itinerary is wide open. Who has ideas for me?

When are you there? 

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11326 on: October 22, 2018, 01:49:17 PM »
Quick note, last summer I was in Barcelona, and I just wanted to let everyone know that you can get in incredible cheeseburg at La Casa de Vaca along the coast. Great stuff.
I have friends that want to travel to Barcelona with our kids in February. I don't wanna do it. Should I tell them you said it would suck with kids???

I think it would actually be a pretty easy/great city with kids your age. very walkable and lots of stuff to do outside/along the way. only Rome is better than Barcelona for this phenomenon.

I'm more worried about the other kids

Rascals?

well part of it is I know the other kids will be whiny and annoying and part of it is the thought of securing a table for 12 for every meal stresses me out.

Why would you eat every single meal out with the other family?  What in the world?  Do I need to plan this trip for you?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11327 on: October 22, 2018, 02:05:50 PM »
Quick note, last summer I was in Barcelona, and I just wanted to let everyone know that you can get in incredible cheeseburg at La Casa de Vaca along the coast. Great stuff.
I have friends that want to travel to Barcelona with our kids in February. I don't wanna do it. Should I tell them you said it would suck with kids???

I think it would actually be a pretty easy/great city with kids your age. very walkable and lots of stuff to do outside/along the way. only Rome is better than Barcelona for this phenomenon.

I'm more worried about the other kids

Rascals?

well part of it is I know the other kids will be whiny and annoying and part of it is the thought of securing a table for 12 for every meal stresses me out.

Why would you eat every single meal out with the other family?  What in the world?  Do I need to plan this trip for you?
It's two other families and yes we would probably be staying together and doing everything together. We've traveled with them before and I insisted on all inclusives because of this.

Also, please plan this trip for me!

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #11328 on: October 22, 2018, 02:12:00 PM »
I would abort.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #11329 on: October 22, 2018, 02:13:59 PM »
Tell them you accidentally booked everything for your family already and should probably do the group vacay another time
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11330 on: October 22, 2018, 03:00:32 PM »
I think one of the families is gonna join us for Vegas and Zion Thanksgiving and I'm all for that one! Vegas is lower stress for big groups.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11331 on: October 22, 2018, 03:03:45 PM »
I would only be disappointed in other peoples's ugly kids and wonder why they are not as good looking as mine. 

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11332 on: October 22, 2018, 03:07:34 PM »
Also, please plan this trip for me!

Travel companies book entire itineraries for groups all the time. You could hire one of them.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11333 on: October 22, 2018, 05:54:34 PM »
I think one of the families is gonna join us for Vegas and Zion Thanksgiving and I'm all for that one! Vegas is lower stress for big groups.

You going to Vegas for Thanksgiving this year?  Good grief, this is like the one year I am not going out.

If the stipulations are that for Barcelona you have to move 3 families together all day and eat together every evening then you are right to not do it. That is impossible. If that is removed, then I would be happy to give some recommendos and do's/don'ts and I think you guys would have a great time.

Offline cDubya

• Coal Grab'r
  • Katpak'r
  • KCCO
    • View Profile
« Reply #11334 on: October 22, 2018, 06:00:37 PM »
Going to New Orleans with Mrs. CF3 for her birthday. We wanted to find a spot we've never been, with good food and live jazz, so this seemed ideal.

Our itinerary is wide open. Who has ideas for me?
Absolutely agree with others, Frenchmen St. I worked at The Spotted Cat for a couple years, and they have amazing live music most every night. You can hit up late night taco cravings across the street at Blue Nile, if they are still serving food in the back. I haven't been down since 2011, so they may not do that any more.

If Felix's is the one directly across from Acme Oyster, go there and skip the line at Acme. Food is just as good, and nearly no tourists.

Also, strictly for music, hit up Le bon temps Roule on Magazine. Local band that's pretty big, The Soul Rebels, are outstanding. I think they play there every Thursday, IIRC.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 06:04:20 PM by cDubya »

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #11335 on: October 22, 2018, 06:18:20 PM »
As everyone recommends, Jacques-Imo's Café is pretty good.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11336 on: October 22, 2018, 06:20:35 PM »

If Felix's is the one directly across from Acme Oyster, go there and skip the line at Acme. Food is just as good, and nearly no tourists.

It is!

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11337 on: October 22, 2018, 06:21:06 PM »
As everyone recommends, Jacques-Imo's Café is pretty good.

Yes, best duck I've ever had. And I've eaten my fair share of duck.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #11338 on: October 22, 2018, 06:29:57 PM »
ICT badly needs a lounge that allows CSR’rs.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11339 on: October 22, 2018, 06:30:58 PM »

You going to Vegas for Thanksgiving this year?  Good grief, this is like the one year I am not going out.

If the stipulations are that for Barcelona you have to move 3 families together all day and eat together every evening then you are right to not do it. That is impossible. If that is removed, then I would be happy to give some recommendos and do's/don'ts and I think you guys would have a great time.

Vegas Thanksgiving might be annual! We are going to see Hoover dam and sit at a pool and go to a show and eat at a buffet and who knows what else!

I know my family alone would have a great time in Barcelona, and look handsome doing it.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11340 on: October 22, 2018, 06:34:06 PM »
My wife is already super annoyed with my daughter saying "Barthelona" and laughing. I let her know that if she hates it now, wait till she has 4 other little shits doing it constantly!

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
travel thread
« Reply #11341 on: October 29, 2018, 12:16:30 AM »
Will be flying one way out of Ict to Denver then be riding back home with them for Christmas break.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 12:31:50 AM by GregKSU1027 »
“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #11342 on: October 29, 2018, 12:31:09 AM »
Will be flying one way out of Oct to Denver then be riding back home with them for spring break.

:surprised:

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #11343 on: October 29, 2018, 12:32:28 AM »
Will be flying one way out of Oct to Denver then be riding back home with them for spring break.

:surprised:
Jfc it's a Frontier flight on Dec 16

“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11344 on: October 29, 2018, 08:54:16 AM »
Thailand and Vietnam upcoming complete with Cathay Pacific business class. :excited:

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11345 on: October 29, 2018, 10:37:02 AM »

Vegas Thanksgiving might be annual! We are going to see Hoover dam and sit at a pool and go to a show and eat at a buffet and who knows what else!

I know my family alone would have a great time in Barcelona, and look handsome doing it.

This would be really great.  You should try pretty hard to make this a reality.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11346 on: October 29, 2018, 05:30:14 PM »
Have an opportunity to go to Montevideo in December.

please report back, i've had a uruguay thing for a while now.  also, i'm going to argentina in october.

Both of you report back.  I am particularly interested in how well gringo's of the gringo looking and American speaking variety can exist in these places.

I need a central or south american place that is safe, super cheap, very good and accessible medical, AND (here is the kicker) let's my dogs both into that country AND back into the US without issue.

i liked argentina.  a lot.  but not sure i'd have it super high on my list of places to expat.  somewhere on the list, but maybe not super high.

food was predictably good.  but even though the 4 basic argentinian food groups are basically my own list of favorites (meat, pizza, pasta and breadstuffs) i found it a little monotonous.  also their version of pizza is, to my palate, pretty bad (but i had an awesome neapolitan version in b.a.).  they have some additional variety (argentinian regionals and non argentinian restos) but it's not of a par to north american expectations.

i went to b.a. and bariloche.

buenos aires was not entirely what i expected, but i liked it.  forget all that paris of south america crap, it's fairly run down and while there are lots of nice french, colonial and art deco buildings around there's also crap tons of disgusting architecture and it's all mixed together.  but it had a really nice, relaxed ambiance.  it reminded me of barcelona in that respect, although if i had traveled more to secondary spanish cities, it might remind me of a different city instead.  definitely felt a little provincial, but not at all self-conscious or giving a crap about other cities that some dumbass tourist might like better.  also, dunno if americans are aware, but mexicans, and maybe northern latin americans in general, think of argentinians as stuck up and unfriendly.  which i found to be completely off base.  super friendly in a non-invasive or pushy way.  climate was too warm considering it's mid-spring.  summers, i expect, would be unpleasant.  very crowded and high human density with all the good and bad that that entails.

bariloche is a ski town in northern patagonia.  it's ridiculously beautiful.  air so clean you could taste it.  rivers and lakes of water so clean you wanted to drown yourself trying to drink them.  weird ass trees and plants you haven't seen before.  hardly any animals.  vegetation grows thickly, you can't really walk off trail until you get above or at least near the tree-line.  the weather was perfect.  low 40s nights, mid 60s days.  obnoxious amounts of tourists (mostly domestic), and supposedly this is the low season.  no visible nazis.  going out from bariloche, we hit mountain towns that looked and felt pretty third-worldy not too far away.  reminded me a lot of any mexican mountain town, just with pizza and empanadas instead of of tacos and tortas.  and i like places where poor people drink wine.

it felt safe.  was cheaper than the u.s., but not super cheap.  dinner for two w. wine at a medium fancy restaurant = $50.  their currency is always in flux, so i think cheap v the dollar comes and goes, but i think it is not usually a particularly cheap country. no idea about their health care.  people looked healthy, i guess.  and young.  lots of children around.  if you learned to dress and walk like a non-american, no one would be able to pick you out on the street.  you could live in either of the places i went without speaking spanish, if you wanted.  can't imagine if anyone would give a crap if you brought dogs in or not.  b.a. had lots of people walking dogs on leashes, and dog crap everywhere on the sidewalks, which come to think of it, would make it like the paris of south america, if they meant paris 30 years ago.  bariloche and adjacent towns had loose dogs all over the place, some probably unowned, but most, i would guess, had owners, but were allowed to roam as they liked.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11347 on: October 29, 2018, 05:36:57 PM »

it might suck for you, but being in a foreign country with (presumably) friends from home instead of just their parents would make it the best vacation of your children's young lives.  i guess you can decide if that matters to you at all.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11348 on: October 29, 2018, 05:48:51 PM »
Kids would be happier at Chuck E Cheese. They're not part of the equation here.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11349 on: October 29, 2018, 08:12:51 PM »
Sys advocating for the happiness of children has me shook.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best