Author Topic: Cell Phone Insiders  (Read 544836 times)

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
Re: Cell Phone Insiders
« Reply #3325 on: September 13, 2017, 02:43:16 PM »
Face recognition screen lock is a super awesome concept. I wouldn't want the first version of it, though.
Then avoid the Galaxy s6

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #3326 on: September 13, 2017, 02:48:05 PM »
Buy a Moto G5 Plus with no ads for half the price of the S7. :)
I can't pimp this enough. This phone kicks ass. Almost native Android. $300.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3327 on: September 13, 2017, 03:09:42 PM »
Face recognition screen lock is a super awesome concept. I wouldn't want the first version of it, though.
Then avoid the Galaxy s6

Hahaha yeah. Note 3 called.  :Wha:

The Big Train

« Reply #3328 on: September 13, 2017, 03:11:09 PM »
Almost native android :lol:

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #3329 on: September 13, 2017, 03:27:36 PM »
I'll take it over ios any day. My kids are on the Apple fanboy train. It's really sad to see the inferior products and have to listen to their whining when their crap doesn't work.

Meanwhile my Moto just keeps kicking ass.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3330 on: September 13, 2017, 03:39:37 PM »
Will the X still have the option of using a 4-digit pin to unlock? There are situations where I'd like my wife and kids to be able to unlock my phone where my face isn't present.

If the camera on the X isn't any better at producing HDR images, I'm not sure I see an improvement that warrants me spending hundreds more instead of getting a free 8. I'd happily just stay with my 6s except that I want to hand that down to my wife. She's still rocking a 5s and it's on its last legs.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3331 on: September 13, 2017, 03:42:31 PM »
I'll take it over ios any day. My kids are on the Apple fanboy train. It's really sad to see the inferior products and have to listen to their whining when their crap doesn't work.

Meanwhile my Moto just keeps kicking ass.

you're the only person to mention the term "fanboy"  in this conversation (twice), it's quite apparent who the fan boy here is

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #3332 on: September 13, 2017, 05:06:34 PM »
I just hate to see such smart KSU alumni waste money on garbage technology. Sad really.

The Big Train

« Reply #3333 on: September 13, 2017, 05:28:58 PM »
The guy using an almost native android is calling iPhones garbage technology :lol:

You just can't make this stuff up guys

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3334 on: September 13, 2017, 05:29:47 PM »
I don't think tbt knows what almost native Android means
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3335 on: September 13, 2017, 07:12:24 PM »
I sure as crap don't know what it means. I think he said it in response my my Note 3 having facial recognition passlock.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3336 on: September 13, 2017, 07:24:05 PM »
android is an open source operating system, and each phone manufacturer has their own version pretty much.  that's why using android on different devices may be a slightly different experience. samsung has "touchwiz" which lots of people hate but personally i like it.  that also lets carriers and phone manufacturers put some "bloat" in.  native android is straight from google with nothing changed.  you can basically only get native android on google made devices or you can haxor your phone and put native android on it.

it's not something that is important to me because i like touchwiz, but some people wanna raw dawg it naw'mean?  that's the great thing about android, you can do whatever you want.

The Big Train

« Reply #3337 on: September 13, 2017, 07:39:04 PM »
android is an open source operating system, and each phone manufacturer has their own version pretty much.  that's why using android on different devices may be a slightly different experience. samsung has "touchwiz" which lots of people hate but personally i like it.  that also lets carriers and phone manufacturers put some "bloat" in.  native android is straight from google with nothing changed.  you can basically only get native android on google made devices or you can haxor your phone and put native android on it.

it's not something that is important to me because i like touchwiz, but some people wanna raw dawg it naw'mean?  that's the great thing about android, you can do whatever you want.

Exactly, like you know, letting third party manufacturers compromise the security of the OS.

https://www.cnet.com/news/superfish-torments-lenovo-owners-with-more-than-adware/

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3338 on: September 13, 2017, 07:40:50 PM »
htc is almost native android :love:

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #3339 on: September 13, 2017, 07:42:10 PM »

Exactly, like you know, letting third party manufacturers compromise the security of the OS.

https://www.cnet.com/news/superfish-torments-lenovo-owners-with-more-than-adware/
Heh. Lenovo laptops running Windows software. Take it to the PC thread.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #3340 on: September 13, 2017, 07:43:03 PM »
Yep, lib7. Good explanation.

A better term would be stock Android. It's exactly as Google released it with no add-ons. Many phone OEM will add several gigs of non-removable software (bloatware). You're often forced to use it.

Moto only drops a flashlight with shake to open, camera assistant (double push on power button opens camera), and lock screen options on the G4 and G5. That's it.

Personally, I'm a phone dork. I've spent a lot of time looking at different flagship devices as well as the mid grades. I won't waste my time with anything below 32GB. Using 64GB version. Life's too short for app lag.

I poke fun at people for getting excited about shiny Apple or the other high end devices. They just aren't worth the money for what they provide in my opinion.

Look at the specs. For $1000, you get upgraded to 4K video and wireless charging. If that is worth $700, welp. Enjoy.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 07:46:58 PM by IPA4Me »

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3341 on: September 13, 2017, 07:43:20 PM »

@tobias I think I just got rocko'd

The Big Train

« Reply #3342 on: September 13, 2017, 07:44:11 PM »

Heh. Lenovo laptops running Windows software. Take it to the PC thread.

Pretty spot on analogy considering android is the market share leader, just like windows, by far.

https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=8&qpcustomd=1

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3343 on: September 13, 2017, 07:45:47 PM »
it's tough sledding out there, it's bound to happen eventually

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3344 on: September 13, 2017, 07:47:27 PM »
Rockoing confirmed

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3345 on: September 13, 2017, 09:25:15 PM »
Yawn

The Big Train

« Reply #3346 on: September 15, 2017, 11:07:17 AM »
Well I preordered my 256GB iPhone 8 this morning.  Supposed to ship next Friday.  :thumbs:

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3347 on: September 15, 2017, 12:07:13 PM »
I can't believe that there are people without iphones.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3348 on: September 15, 2017, 12:11:39 PM »
I have the 7 Plus, so there isn't much advantage for the 8 Plus. I am interested in the X, but not at full price. If they have a good trade in deal for the 7 Plus (Verizon), I might pull the trigger. Right now I think the trade in for the 8/8 Plus is $300 on an 7 Plus, I'm not sure that would be enough for me to get the X.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3349 on: September 15, 2017, 12:26:37 PM »
Guys I'm in love with the iPhone SE.  Well I don't have it yet but it's perfect.  Not huge like the stupid cell phones of today.  I mean the size of phones is ridiculous.  And are you kidding me it has the design I love of the iPhone 4!   :love: