Author Topic: goEMAW.com bbq, smoking, grilling, etc. thread!  (Read 479701 times)

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
Re: goEMAW.com bbq, smoking, grilling, etc. thread!
« Reply #1525 on: April 28, 2014, 08:01:36 AM »
9 hours for a 9 lb brisket cooking at b/w 195-240 seems really fast.  was it done? like- pull apart tender done? 

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: April 28, 2014, 08:04:40 AM »

pulled pork sandwiches, short ribs, roasted corn jicama salad, fennel pomegranate feta salad.  kind of full in the abdominal area actually.

would take recipes for the roasted corn jicama salad and fennel pomegrante feta salad. both look great.

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: April 28, 2014, 09:05:01 AM »

pulled pork sandwiches, short ribs, roasted corn jicama salad, fennel pomegranate feta salad.  kind of full in the abdominal area actually.

would take recipes for the roasted corn jicama salad and fennel pomegrante feta salad. both look great.

well played R RB D, well played.

those 2 items were brought by friends, i'll get the recipes and pass them along.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: April 28, 2014, 09:29:49 AM »

those 2 items were brought by friends, i'll get the recipes and pass them along.

it goes without saying that everything you make always looks great. that's why i don't say it. oh hey there famous supermodel, i think you are attractive. i mean yeah, no duh.

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: April 28, 2014, 09:35:42 AM »

it goes without saying that everything you make always looks great. that's why i don't say it. oh hey there famous supermodel, i think you are attractive. i mean yeah, no duh.

i'll get them to you this evening, let me get this crap i call work ou of the way.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #1530 on: April 28, 2014, 10:35:47 AM »
9 hours for a 9 lb brisket cooking at b/w 195-240 seems really fast.  was it done? like- pull apart tender done? 

it started out 9 lb...probably 8 by the time i was done trimming off fat.  Also, bbq never got below 235...240 most the night..it was probably 255 most of the morning to get it all done. sorry for the confusion.

leaner side of the brisket was perfect, pulled apart with a little tug. The other side was a little tougher.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: April 28, 2014, 10:52:15 AM »
i grilled a humongous bone-in ribeye from local pig and it was like 85% fat. i was pretty disappointed.  :frown:

but i also grilled some of their chicken legs and jalepeno bacon and that was amazing  :drool:

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: April 28, 2014, 10:58:55 AM »
I took some bean sprouts, three green onions, one big jalepeno, and three cloves of garlic coarse chopped all but the sprouts, soaked in about .25 Cup soy sauce for 15min, then grilled until it was all soft, then drizzled a very small amt of sweet soy glaze on them, mixed it up for a quick min or two on the grill, then served. 

Was amazeballs. just enough sweet and heat, not much of either.  full flavor.   New go to side with burgers and zucchini for us.

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: April 28, 2014, 07:12:44 PM »
CNS that sounds outstanding

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: April 28, 2014, 09:49:15 PM »
I took some bean sprouts, three green onions, one big jalepeno, and three cloves of garlic coarse chopped all but the sprouts, soaked in about .25 Cup soy sauce for 15min, then grilled until it was all soft, then drizzled a very small amt of sweet soy glaze on them, mixed it up for a quick min or two on the grill, then served. 

Was amazeballs. just enough sweet and heat, not much of either.  full flavor.   New go to side with burgers and zucchini for us.

Sounds not very gluten-free friendly.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: April 28, 2014, 09:56:15 PM »

Sounds not very gluten-free friendly.

I know nothing of gluten. 

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: April 30, 2014, 07:57:20 AM »

Edit: I forgot, but I also added about one half tblsp of pesto. Sounds weird,  but was super good.

Offline kansas_troll_patrol

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Fan
  • Do you have a permit for that thing?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: May 04, 2014, 02:16:44 AM »
Embarking on a little overnight smoke.  This 8-9 # butt went on at just after 9pm.  It'll run all night long.  I'll pull it off the smoker sometime tomorrow morning and stuff it in a cooler for an hour or two.  If it turns out to be worth the weight of the meat, I'll post some pulled pics here.

Also, looking at this picture it might just be time to clean my smoker.  YUCK

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: May 04, 2014, 08:43:48 AM »
 :sdeek:

clean the smoker?

i guess to each his own but why would you want to remove all that seasoning that you worked so hard on

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: May 04, 2014, 10:25:19 AM »
Just pulled the butt off of the smoker.  This is my first time really letting the smoker go unattended.  I didn't set any alarms or use my thermometer until I was ready to take it off of the smoker.  I smoked it to feel and then checked with the Maverick.  Looks to have a real nice bark on it.  I'll post pictures after I pull it.  In total it was on the smoker at 215 degrees for 11 hours.  When I pulled the butt it was at 205 degrees.

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: May 04, 2014, 10:33:41 AM »
oh man, looking really good there bud

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: May 04, 2014, 10:34:21 AM »
:sdeek:

clean the smoker?

i guess to each his own but why would you want to remove all that seasoning that you worked so hard on

I just worry that all of that crap in there can't be good for the food.  Plus I thought I read you should clean it about one a year.  Do you not clean yours ever?

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: May 04, 2014, 10:49:23 AM »
i occasionally spray it down with water but never a deep clean.  idk, i'm just stumbling through this bbq thing same as everyone else.  the biggest care i take of the smoker is the grates, i brush them before and after cooks.  everythjng else is just character to me.

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1545 on: May 04, 2014, 01:16:55 PM »
 :Woohoo:  wife just left to pick up another weber kettle grill.  convinced her i couldn't properly do my fajita cook tomorrow for a cinco de mayo gig without more grill space

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: May 04, 2014, 01:40:00 PM »

:Woohoo:  wife just left to pick up another weber kettle grill.  convinced her i couldn't properly do my fajita cook tomorrow for a cinco de mayo gig without more grill space

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: May 04, 2014, 02:22:25 PM »
I didn't get a great picture, but you get the idea.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: May 04, 2014, 02:53:10 PM »
In cozumel now.  Took a cab to the non tourist area of town and there was a guy with a store front the size of my walkin closet at home.  Half of his shop was taken up by a huge brick wood fire rotisserie spinning 3 spits at a time each holding like a dozen birds. 

He cuts it up with huge ass shears,  drops it on the one table in the joint along with some rice, corn tortillas, and salsa.  It was top two or three chicken I ever had. 

The rub was light bur just slightly spicy.  I am going to figure this recipe out and perfect it.  It was so good, you guys.  I feel silly for saying that because it is almost impossible to screw up chicken, but It was amazing.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: May 04, 2014, 03:10:00 PM »
Good luck with the diarrhea