Author Topic: Gill fired/KU coach search/Weiss master thread  (Read 328891 times)

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Gill fired/KU coach search
« Reply #1425 on: December 09, 2011, 11:18:05 AM »
Looking at it with perspective, what Weis did or did not do at ND really has no bearing on his potential at Kansas. Nobody wins at ND.  Kelley is doing worse than Weis did.

Yeah, Notre Dame is an impossible job.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: December 09, 2011, 11:23:26 AM »
I do think the ceiling is very high with Weis. He's an extremely intelligent guy and you can't create intelligence.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: December 09, 2011, 11:25:00 AM »
Looking at it with perspective, what Weis did or did not do at ND really has no bearing on his potential at Kansas. Nobody wins at ND.  Kelley is doing worse than Weis did.

Exactly. And it's silly to say that he hates to recruit.  In fact, he was a very good recruiter at Notre Dame and significantly upgraded the talent level over what was there when Willingham was the coach (without being able to use JUCOs to plug the holes he inherited).  I would expect that he'll recruit very well at KU.

His Recruiting classes looked like this (nationally):

2005 (incoming year): Scout #27, Rivals #40
2006: Scout #5, Rivals #8
2007: Scout #11, Rivals #8
2008: Scout #2, Rivals #2
2009: Scout #23, Rivals #21

Can we put that to rest already?
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: December 09, 2011, 11:28:19 AM »
I compare the hiring of Charlie Weis to that of Jim Wooldridge.  Very similar coaches in all aspects.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: December 09, 2011, 11:30:37 AM »

Exactly. And it's silly to say that he hates to recruit.  In fact, he was a very good recruiter at Notre Dame and significantly upgraded the talent level over what was there when Willingham was the coach (without being able to use JUCOs to plug the holes he inherited).  I would expect that he'll recruit very well at KU.

His Recruiting classes looked like this (nationally):

2005 (incoming year): Scout #27, Rivals #40
2006: Scout #5, Rivals #8
2007: Scout #11, Rivals #8
2008: Scout #2, Rivals #2
2009: Scout #23, Rivals #21

Can we put that to rest already?

No doubt. Weis will be the last coach to ever take Notre Dame to a BCS game unless Notre Dame lowers their admission standards to a competitive level.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: December 09, 2011, 11:37:59 AM »
How does Notre Dame not have talent if they had 3 Top 10 classes in a row? How is it impossible to win there if you can recruit like that?

Their SOS the last 5 years on average is around #45. Weis' last three years it was an average of #57.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: December 09, 2011, 11:43:46 AM »
How does Notre Dame not have talent if they had 3 Top 10 classes in a row? How is it impossible to win there if you can recruit like that?

Their SOS the last 5 years on average is around #45. Weis' last three years it was an average of #57.

It's a tough job because of the expectations and admission standards. I'm not saying Weis is a good coach, but I wouldn't say he will never be successful just because he struggled at Notre Dame.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: December 09, 2011, 11:46:22 AM »

It's a tough job because of the expectations and admission standards. I'm not saying Weis is a good coach, but I wouldn't say he will never be successful just because he struggled at Notre Dame.

That's fair enough. And yes, expectations there are really dumb, but I'm not sure Notre Dames fans will every realize its not 1977 anymore.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: December 09, 2011, 11:49:27 AM »
My KU friends explained that the only elite recruits you can qualify at ND are OL and QB. They said you just can't get the elite defensive and skill players past admissions. Not sure what he meant. :dunno:

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: December 09, 2011, 11:51:22 AM »
Without a doubt, the guy will get top QB talent looking at KU’s program. And the college game revolves around the success and failures of QB play.

Offline bakerman

• Big Salt Spokesperson
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: December 09, 2011, 11:53:01 AM »
My KU friends explained that the only elite recruits you can qualify at ND are OL and QB. They said you just can't get the elite defensive and skill players past admissions. Not sure what he meant. :dunno:

he meant  :opcat:

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: December 09, 2011, 11:55:57 AM »
The way I see it, even with a Saban or Meyer, people could argue that they've never had to do it at a school like KU, with KU's RELATIVE lack of fan support, resources, recruiting base, etc. In other words, if people want to find a reason to hate on any potential coaching candidate, it's not that hard.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: December 09, 2011, 12:02:35 PM »

I'm willing to bet that your KU friend loves to point out how "well spoken" Robert Griffin III is when talking about why they like him so much.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: December 09, 2011, 12:19:13 PM »
It won't just Crist coming either. I'd be very surprised if 4 or 5 ND Grads dont show up...along with some Miami recruits that haven't committed yet.

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: December 09, 2011, 01:13:54 PM »
I can't wait for the contract deets.  :drool:
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1440 on: December 09, 2011, 01:24:26 PM »
i read $3 million somewhere.  honestly, can't you get a good, proven college coach for that kind of money?  seems like there wouldn't be too many coaches you couldn't get. 

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: December 09, 2011, 01:25:34 PM »
i read $3 million somewhere.  honestly, can't you get a good, proven college coach for that kind of money?  seems like there wouldn't be too many coaches you couldn't get. 

How much do they pay Self?

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: December 09, 2011, 01:29:54 PM »
Dammit.  Now Sean is going to ask for more money!

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Mashing 'taters like an Old Country Buffet
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: December 09, 2011, 01:46:58 PM »
Weis' coaching staff is going to be incredible, and it doesn't hurt that we're likely to get a 5-star QB as well. 

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: December 09, 2011, 01:51:04 PM »
Blair Kerkhoff @BlairKerkhoff 1 min
LHC Bill Snyder on Charlie Weis: I'll think he'll do wonderful job...a very quality hire."

Offline chunkles

• KSU CATS Videographer of the Week
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: December 09, 2011, 01:56:35 PM »
Blair Kerkhoff @BlairKerkhoff 1 min
LHC Bill Snyder on Charlie Weis: I'll think he'll do wonderful job...a very quality hire."

solid, and long-term

Offline DeoKat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: December 09, 2011, 02:06:47 PM »
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/gators/florida-offensive-coordinator-charlie-weis-leaving-to-become-2021373.html

"He was not able to fix Florida's dismal offense. The Gators averaged 334.2 yards per game, which was 16 yards worse than last year and ranked 102nd out of 120 teams in the FBS. They scored 12 points or fewer in six games and finished the regular season 6-6.

Their rushing offense dropped 22.5 yards per game from last season and the passing game improved by roughly 6 yards. They also fell to a 31 percent conversion rate on third downs, the ninth-worst mark in the nation."

:party:
When you succeed at Illinois you go to Kansas and when you fail at Illinois, you go to Kansas State

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: December 09, 2011, 02:12:40 PM »
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/gators/florida-offensive-coordinator-charlie-weis-leaving-to-become-2021373.html

"He was not able to fix Florida's dismal offense. The Gators averaged 334.2 yards per game, which was 16 yards worse than last year and ranked 102nd out of 120 teams in the FBS. They scored 12 points or fewer in six games and finished the regular season 6-6.

Their rushing offense dropped 22.5 yards per game from last season and the passing game improved by roughly 6 yards. They also fell to a 31 percent conversion rate on third downs, the ninth-worst mark in the nation."

:party:

Florida probably gave him a "good" letter of recommendation.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: December 09, 2011, 02:14:07 PM »
The 4th choice is always the best choice.

Offline RTB

• Fan
  • Caaats!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: December 09, 2011, 02:14:59 PM »
Weis' coaching staff is going to be incredible, and it doesn't hurt that we're likely to get a 5-star QB as well. 

Yeah and we had a 5-star RB. Besides Webb isn't that bad of a QB, I wouldn't say he is much worse than Crist.
Frank Martin- "I used to teach math in HS but didn't scream as much because nobody was keeping score."