Author Topic: 202x Coaching Carousel  (Read 90065 times)

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
Re: 202x Coaching Carousel
« Reply #300 on: November 27, 2021, 04:52:55 PM »
definitely southern california for this poster

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: November 27, 2021, 07:53:42 PM »
Well, Florida State isn't open the other three jobs are equal although it's significantly easier to get to the CFP at USC.

I think it's a hell of a lot harder to recruit to USC than the other places

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: November 27, 2021, 09:23:34 PM »
Well, Florida State isn't open the other three jobs are equal although it's significantly easier to get to the CFP at USC.

I think it's a hell of a lot harder to recruit to USC than the other places

That's cire level wrong. Rivals class ratings started in 2002. From 2002-2018 USC were in the top 10: every year but one, that one year they were 13th. In that 17 year time frame they had the #1 class 6 times. Helton got fired because he was an awful recruiter, but even he, in his 6 classes had classes ranked 10, 6, 3, and 8 it was the two classes between that 3 and 8 that did him in. Since Rivals started class rankings USC has had 4 coaches, all of them had at least 1 top 3 class, Helton is the only one to not have multiple top 3 classes.

USC is still easily first choice for all California recruits and most recruits west of the Rockies.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: November 27, 2021, 09:36:18 PM »
I'll admit I did zero research and didn't realize they'd been that good, although they had some pretty great recruiters before Helton. I was just thinking anecdotally how isolated LA is from the rest of the country and how the popularity of high school football in California seems to be getting less and less. Also I wonder how often they were behind LSU all those years.

Also why was their 2020 class ranked #71???

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: November 27, 2021, 10:02:39 PM »
Looks like it was just misses that they didn't have backups for. Look at the names they missed on. This is from an athletic article on that class, it was a winners and losers column and USC was the only listed loser. Incidentally K-State was a listed winner because of the work the social media team did with introducing the class on Twitter, it was the Lego man motif if you remember that. Anyway

The point of this is not to pile on. There really are few losers on signing day. USC’s situation is unique and complex enough that it’s hard to actually compare it to anyone else’s class. When can you say you’ve ever seen one of the truly elite traditional powers in college football recruiting end up with results like this?

The facts are these: the Trojans currently have the No. 78 class in the 247Sports Composite rankings, which puts them in between Bowling Green and Louisiana. This is the lowest-rated class in the Pac-12, although the class size (11 signees) is a big part of that. USC has inked one blue-chip recruit in this class so far, OL Jonah Monheim, and he’s the nation’s No. 350 prospect. USC lost the battle for Flowe and failed to pull off a surprise flip for RB Bijan Robinson (Texas), CB Elias Ricks (LSU) or former QB commit Bryce Young (Alabama). Among the top 25 recruits in the state of California for the 2020 cycle, only one signed with an in-state school on Wednesday — and he’s going to Stanford. In fairness, USC can still land four-star WR Gary Bryant Jr., the No. 7 recruit in the state. But adding another great WR to this team is not going to fix much.

As our Antonio Morales wrote, all this does is clearly illustrate the uphill battle that Clay Helton will continue to face as head coach. New AD Mike Bohn retaining Helton for another year does not suddenly establish stability or silence all the negative recruiting. How do you sell kids on spending their next four to five years at USC if they totally believe this staff is here to stay? Holding onto OC Graham Harrell was a step in the right direction, and the Trojans do have a few promising early pledges for 2021. But a class like this only makes it tougher to rally support and change perception.

Offline muqluk

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: November 27, 2021, 10:57:20 PM »
rumor now is Campbell turned down USC and is looking at a long term extension at ISU

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: November 27, 2021, 11:21:05 PM »
rumor now is Campbell turned down USC and is looking at a long term extension at ISU

I think he got one not too long ago.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: November 27, 2021, 11:39:06 PM »
What's your coaching destination pecking order among LSU, Florida, Florida State and USC? I think mine is as listed.

USC - Easiest path to the CFP and can still pull in top recruits across the nation and there is tons of talent in their backyard.

Florida - Only above LSU until Nick Saban retires. Talent rich state and SEC East is down to you and UGA most years.

LSU - Seems crazy to put them this low since their last 3 coaches have all won national titles. Once Saban retires this will be a better job then FL.

FSU - The only + here is that they are in the ACC and should have an easier path to the CFP but they are also in the BFE portion of FL that is basically SEC Territory. They are the big 12 equivalent of TX Tech when it comes to how far away they are from the main recruiting/population areas of their state.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: November 28, 2021, 08:46:01 AM »

Let’s also keep in mind that Campbell is an iowa 8 and a California 2

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: November 28, 2021, 09:22:31 AM »
I think the fact that USC has to play one more conference game than LSU or FSU + Notre Dame every year makes their CFP path more difficult than the pure strength of conference might make it seem.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: November 28, 2021, 09:29:47 AM »
Not to mention the very real East Coast bias that's a product of their multiple 10pm kickoffs every season

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: November 28, 2021, 11:20:45 AM »
I think the fact that USC has to play one more conference game than LSU or FSU + Notre Dame every year makes their CFP path more difficult than the pure strength of conference might make it seem.

In that conference? No. The ninth conference game in that conference is booty, especially in that division. Besides the SEC will probably go to 9 conference games when they expand.

Not to mention the very real East Coast bias that's a product of their multiple 10pm kickoffs every season

Not for USC, they are the Spider-Man meme with Texas when it comes to overinflated poll rankings.
https://buckeyescoop.com/the-10-most-overrated-college-football-programs/?amp=1

Offline EMAWzifried

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: November 28, 2021, 11:40:06 AM »
The bottomless NIH opportunities LA offers probably sets USC apart.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: November 28, 2021, 11:41:40 AM »
Compared to LSU? Nah

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: November 28, 2021, 12:56:41 PM »
Compared to LSU? Nah

I'm gonna guess for a big time athlete being in LA would provide more opportunities than being in Baton Rouge. For run of the mill college football players, yeah, Baton Rouge is better. If Matt Leinart played today, he'd get national ad campaigns and television show appearances, he's getting none of that at LSU. Joe Burrow would have gotten more NIL money at LSU.

Watch how much attention Jaxson Dart gets this off season and then the next. If USC is good next year Dart will be the most popular college football player since Manziel.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: November 28, 2021, 02:53:32 PM »
Trying to steal Matt Campbells girl
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: November 28, 2021, 03:00:54 PM »
Bro wasn't lying when he said he wouldn't be LSU's Head Coach. Very specific.

Online nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: November 28, 2021, 03:02:53 PM »
Bro wasn't lying when he said he wouldn't be LSU's Head Coach. Very specific.
Taking the path of least resistance. A true competitor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: November 28, 2021, 03:08:08 PM »
I guess we have the answer to which is the better job. You have to think that OU's move to the SEC hurt them in keeping Lincoln. That's a real shame. :ROFL:

Offline outofstate

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: November 28, 2021, 03:10:31 PM »
Riley to USC announced as official

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: November 28, 2021, 03:11:43 PM »
I guess we have the answer to which is the better job. You have to think that OU's move to the SEC hurt them in keeping Lincoln. That's a real shame. :ROFL:

Poor, poor Oklahoma. No playoffs, no conference title game, No coach

:ROFL:

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: November 28, 2021, 03:12:53 PM »
This is fun

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire