Author Topic: Amnesty and the Unions  (Read 3933 times)

Sugar Dick

Amnesty and the Unions
« on: July 21, 2010, 10:48:58 PM »
I've raised this question before and other than some really dumb comments it's been avoided, so I decided it was worthy of its own topic:

If illegal aliens are given some form of amnesty allowing them to work in the U.S., what will be the Union reaction when they start taking Union jobs? 

I ask this question for several reasons:  1) The idea that illegal aliens will continue working sh*tty jobs after they're "documented" is unrealistic and naive.  2) Now legal aliens will naturally seek higher paying jobs, but will work at a rate less than those currently working the jobs the aliens seek.  3) Union workers are not highly skilled, despite what they think, and it would be a matter of months before illegal aliens acquire the skills necessary to fill those same jobs.  4) Any US corporation can easily shed any collective bargaining agreement by forming a new corporation.

I haven't heard this topic covered anywhere in the media, right or left, but think it's a legitimate question.  Thoughts?

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline Dirty Sanchez

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: Amnesty and the Unions
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 10:54:58 PM »
More union members.  Ramp up the intimidation and thuggery already exhibited by some unions.  Use "disposable" members (aka former illegals) to do the dirty work.  Its easy to get under-educated and often illiterate to do the work of the union bosses.  More members means more votes to elect pro-union, anti-business politicians.  Economy in turmoil.  Ramp up thuggery further.  Overthrow from within.  Strongman who plays on those weak-minded fools takes control.

Sugar Dick

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 11:20:02 PM »
More union members.  Ramp up the intimidation and thuggery already exhibited by some unions.  Use "disposable" members (aka former illegals) to do the dirty work.  Its easy to get under-educated and often illiterate to do the work of the union bosses.  More members means more votes to elect pro-union, anti-business politicians.  Economy in turmoil.  Ramp up thuggery further.  Overthrow from within.  Strongman who plays on those weak-minded fools takes control.

I didn't realize there were so many jobs available that the Unions could just absorb all the illegals and put them straight to work.   :surprised:

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 11:39:52 PM »
free market, "sugar dick"

Offline Dirty Sanchez

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 05:16:49 AM »

amnesty to illegals isn't the free market, "no dick"

Offline Dirty Sanchez

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 05:18:41 AM »

I didn't realize there were so many jobs available that the Unions could just absorb all the illegals and put them straight to work.   :surprised:

seiu is pretty much a catch-all union.  If you're not a steelworker, auto worker, etc, you go there.  New unions could also be created, such as, say, the lettuce pickers union.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 06:20:02 AM »

A free market would let anyone live where they wanted, regardless of borders.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 08:20:11 AM »
It's not like the companies are going to hire so many immigrants at once that they could just replace their entire workforce. Why would the immigrants not just join the union when they get hired?

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 08:29:23 AM »

sure it is, "dirty sanchez"

why do you hate a free society?

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 12:18:56 PM »
DS is pretty much spitting on soldiers graves here.

Offline Dirty Sanchez

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 09:23:03 PM »
There's a difference between a free market and an anarchistic market, but like all statists, you'd rather play games with words than look at the truth.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2010, 11:07:01 PM »
There's a difference between a
There's a difference between a free market and an anarchistic market, but like all statists, you'd rather play games with words than look at the truth.
and an anarchistic market, but like all statists, you'd rather play games with words than look at the truth.

Letting people live where they want to isn't anarchistic.  Why do you hate freedom?

Offline Dirty Sanchez

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010, 11:09:37 PM »
and an anarchistic market, but like all statists, you'd rather play games with words than look at the truth.

Letting people live where they want to isn't anarchistic.  Why do you hate freedom?

Actually, it is.  Nations are made of governments with laws and distinct borders.  A lack of which is by definition anarchy.

You seriously dumb down every thread you're in.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2010, 11:11:59 PM »
whatever commie.  I'm not showing you my papers

Offline Dirty Sanchez

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2010, 11:13:16 PM »

Tell that to the cop next time you get pulled over and they ask you for your drivers license (assuming it weren't suspended).

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2010, 11:17:47 PM »

Letting people live where they want to isn't anarchistic.  Why do you hate freedom?

Actually, it is.  Nations are made of governments with laws and distinct borders.  A lack of which is by definition anarchy.

Who said anything about eliminating all governments, laws, and borders, other than you?  :dunno:

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2010, 11:21:16 PM »

Tell that to the cop next time you get pulled over and they ask you for your drivers license (assuming it weren't suspended).

Huh?

Sugar Dick

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2010, 12:53:02 PM »

seiu is pretty much a catch-all union.  If you're not a steelworker, auto worker, etc, you go there.  New unions could also be created, such as, say, the lettuce pickers union.

My point was, there aren't enough union jobs to absorb all these people.  No union is going to voluntarily take on millions of new workers with nowhere to work.  You can't pay dues if you aren't working.  Furthermore, no former illegal alien is going to quit working for the sake of the union.  There are only so many jobs, and currently way more union workers than jobs available.   There are enough illegal aliens to put a shitload of union workers out of work for a long time.  Illegals will work the same job for half as much money, because its still a tremendous improvement in quality of life. 

When the rubber hits the road, hypothetically, what is going to happen?

This isn't a hard concept fellas, the same thing happened after the slaves were freed (although unions weren't around then) and we got race riots in the North.

Offline Dirty Sanchez

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2010, 12:59:55 PM »

My point was, there aren't enough union jobs to absorb all these people.  No union is going to voluntarily take on millions of new workers with nowhere to work.  You can't pay dues if you aren't working.  Furthermore, no former illegal alien is going to quit working for the sake of the union.  There are only so many jobs, and currently way more union workers than jobs available.   There are enough illegal aliens to put a shitload of union workers out of work for a long time.  Illegals will work the same job for half as much money, because its still a tremendous improvement in quality of life. 

This isn't a hard concept fellas, the same thing happened after the slaves were freed (although unions weren't around then) and we got race riots in the North.

Who says they can't create their own unions. cesar chavez anyone?

Offline Dirty Sanchez

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2010, 01:02:01 PM »

Huh?

When you get pulled over, the cop asks you for your drivers license, and on some cases registration and insurance.  Those are your papers.  Citizens are required to have them to drive.  But we couldn't ask that to potential illegals.  That might be rrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaacist.

Sugar Dick

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2010, 02:18:25 PM »

Who says they can't create their own unions. cesar chavez anyone?

Okay, add that to the hypo (since we can't get passed that).  What happens when the UAW meets the UIAAW and they compete for the same jobs?

Either way, it's fundamentally the same question.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2010, 06:14:18 PM »
There are plenty of non-immigrants who would be willing to work in the auto industry for less than the unionized workers are making. Just look at the non-unionized automakers like Toyota. I don't see how giving amnesty to illegal immigrants is going to break the unions. I don't agree with amnesty on principle, but I really don't think it would have negative impacts on the economy. The people who need to worry about losing their jobs in this situation are the non-unionized workers.

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2010, 07:37:42 PM »
There are plenty of non-immigrants who would be willing to work in the auto industry for less than the unionized workers are making. Just look at the non-unionized automakers like Toyota. I don't see how giving amnesty to illegal immigrants is going to break the unions. I don't agree with amnesty on principle, but I really don't think it would have negative impacts on the economy. The people who need to worry about losing their jobs in this situation are the non-unionized workers.

Amnesty would definitely have a negative impact on the deficit. Those illegal workers that have fake social security numbers are currently paying into SS and paying income tax per paycheck, but only a small percentage actually file a return, where most will get a full refund on their income tax withheld.

If amnesty were to happen, more will pay into SS, but they will all file tax returns, where almost all will get full refunds, plus Earned Income credit per child of up to $1000. I know the government numbers claim there is about 12 million illegals, but that seems low considering the border patrol catches about a million per year and only 2% are prosecuted.  And what happens when the health care entitlement begins?

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2010, 07:49:24 PM »

Amnesty would definitely have a negative impact on the deficit. Those illegal workers that have fake social security numbers are currently paying into SS and paying income tax per paycheck, but only a small percentage actually file a return, where most will get a full refund on their income tax withheld.

If amnesty were to happen, more will pay into SS, but they will all file tax returns, where almost all will get full refunds, plus Earned Income credit per child of up to $1000. I know the government numbers claim there is about 12 million illegals, but that seems low considering the border patrol catches about a million per year and only 2% are prosecuted.  And what happens when the health care entitlement begins?

They will also make more money, increasing not only the amount of taxes that they pay, but the demand for higher priced goods.

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2010, 11:35:39 PM »

They will also make more money, increasing not only the amount of taxes that they pay, but the demand for higher priced goods.

99% of them will not be among the 53% of working Americans that pay income tax.