Author Topic: Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds  (Read 666 times)

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds
« on: March 27, 2015, 12:56:58 PM »

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 01:14:02 PM »
It's really something to think that, as badly as Obama has mumped things up domestically with things like Obamacare and uncontrolled immigration, his foreign policy might go down as his biggest disaster.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 02:49:17 PM »
yes, that appears to be a huge problem that Saudi Arabia won't swear off maybe someday thinking about trying to have nuclear weapons.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 03:03:56 PM »
I blame Truman.

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 11:38:34 AM »
http://www.faktoider.nu/oppenheimer_eng.html

i really like the fact that dr. oppenheim read the original sanskrit and this quote is his translation.

In an interview from 1965, Oppenheimer describes the initial reactions as the fruit of their labors, the very first nuclear bomb (the Hiroshima bomb was the second one), detonated early in the morning of July 16, 1945:

Oppenheimer
We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed... A few people cried... Most people were silent. I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture the Bhagavad Gita; Vishnu is trying to persuade the prince that he should do his duty, and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form, and says, "Now I am become death, the destroyer of worlds." I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.

The quote was something he thought, but he didn't say it.

The quote is indeed from the Bhagavad Gita ("Song of the lord"). Some suggest it's a misquote, which would explain the peculiar grammar; but "am become" is not an error but a (poetic) archaism, as in "I am become a name, for always roaming with a hungry heart" (Tennyson, Ulysses). Which in turn might be a trace of French; "Je suis devenu la mort".

Since Oppenheimer was proficient in sanskrit he read the original text, and the translation is his own; I haven't found any other translation with "am become". It certainly gives a certain something to the line, however, and it might had been at least somewhat less well known had it been "I am death" or "I have become death".

Offline illBisonYourdele

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 11:42:07 AM »
Russian analyst urges nuclear attack on Yellowstone National Park and San Andreas fault line

http://www.smh.com.au/world/russian-analyst-urges-nuclear-attack-on-yellowstone-national-park-and-san-andreas-fault-line-20150331-1mbl14.html

"Geologists believe that the Yellowstone supervolcano could explode at any moment. There are signs of growing activity there. Therefore it suffices to push the relatively small, for example the impact of the munition megaton class to initiate an eruption. The consequences will be catastrophic for the United States - a country just disappears," he said.