Author Topic: Disney World  (Read 72722 times)

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
Re: Disney World
« Reply #225 on: June 15, 2016, 08:29:00 AM »
Awful.   :cry:
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: June 15, 2016, 08:31:33 AM »

Offline Winters

• The King of Real Zeal
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: June 15, 2016, 09:00:35 AM »
The 407 is a jungle
Best #heel and/or #babyface on this blogsite

If it were up to me, Wintz would be on a fan scholarship, full ride.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: June 15, 2016, 11:24:55 AM »
I just read the story and hadn't been on GE yet today or anything. When I saw they were from NE my heart skipped a beat. Glad lil' SD is ok.

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: June 16, 2016, 01:57:38 AM »
Steve Dave are you one of those weird people that call Disney parks "home" ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: June 16, 2016, 05:44:53 AM »
Steve Dave are you one of those weird people that call Disney parks "home" ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

No, that would be weird. I go there a lot though.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: June 16, 2016, 12:52:59 PM »

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: June 16, 2016, 01:01:17 PM »
I might go to Disneyland in October. We'll see.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 16, 2016, 01:07:49 PM »
I might go to Disneyland in October. We'll see.

you should get an annual pass

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: June 16, 2016, 11:56:20 PM »
So turns out the Grand Floridian Beach Resort... has a beach right on the main property... on a lagoon filled with alligators... and Disney was warned many times before about gator sightings.

And now they say they'll post "no swimming" signs.

I hope the family takes these fucks to the cleaners.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Dub

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: June 17, 2016, 12:05:44 AM »
So turns out the Grand Floridian Beach Resort... has a beach right on the main property... on a lagoon filled with alligators... and Disney was warned many times before about gator sightings.

There are absolutely "no swimming" signs posted right there.  The outrage is over that it didn't say specifically alligators.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: June 17, 2016, 12:07:08 AM »

I've read several different reports each saying that they already had no swimming signs in that location.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 17, 2016, 01:36:32 AM »
Disney was warned many times before about gator sightings.

if you don't know that water in florida is likely to contain alligators, you deserve to have your child taken.  may as well require signs in kansas parks announcing the presence of squirrels.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: June 17, 2016, 06:23:36 AM »
People in Florida definitely swim in bodies of water with alligators all the time. What I heard about it is that you just stay in the swimming area to be safe because the alligators are territorial or whatever.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: June 17, 2016, 06:24:56 AM »
Alligators adhere to the posted signs in the water: "Keep Out! Human Swimming Area!"

Royals aren't gonna win 'em all

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: June 17, 2016, 07:20:08 AM »

there are no swimming signs on that beach and all other disney beaches already. even the beach club which sits on a man made cement bottom lake has no swimming signs all over the place. disney doesn't let anyone in any body of water that isn't a pool.

the grand floridian sits on a massive natural lake.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: June 17, 2016, 07:31:06 AM »
Disney was warned many times before about gator sightings.

if you don't know that water in florida is likely to contain alligators, you deserve to have your child taken.  may as well require signs in kansas parks announcing the presence of squirrels.

I don't think squirrels have ever been known to kill people.

The presence of "no swimming" signs is irrelevant. This kid wasn't swimming. He was two. He was standing in about a foot of water when the alligator dragged him under. Alligators snatch animals from the banks all the time. The signs probably never had anything to do with alligators in the first place, but were probably prompted by the brain-eating amoeba that lives in Florida water.

Even if signs are added that say "watch out for alligators" that's not a sufficient precaution. Kids don't read signs - especially kids who can't read. This is a resort in a theme park designed to draw children. There is a reason pretty much every state/municipality have codes requiring fences around swimming pools. It's a balancing of safety with recreation.

Building a beach into a lagoon full of alligators, at a resort frequented by children, was a really stupid idea.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: June 17, 2016, 07:37:45 AM »
yeah, the no swimming signs have nothing to do with alligators, just pointing out they are already there. I don't think the amoeba thing is a part of it at all either. they just don't have lifeguards on those beaches. there are alligators all over the resorts. you see them in the water filled areas under bridges, etc. everywhere you go. if you see a big body of water that's not a pool you can look close and find an alligator floating there. I've never seen one close to 7 feet though. usually just a couple feet long. lil sd loves waiting for boats and pointing out turtles and alligators and fish and stuff.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: June 17, 2016, 07:42:33 AM »
@applejack

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: June 17, 2016, 07:47:51 AM »
yeah, the no swimming signs have nothing to do with alligators, just pointing out they are already there. I don't think the amoeba thing is a part of it at all either. they just don't have lifeguards on those beaches. there are alligators all over the resorts. you see them in the water filled areas under bridges, etc. everywhere you go. if you see a big body of water that's not a pool you can look close and find an alligator floating there. I've never seen one close to 7 feet though. usually just a couple feet long. lil sd loves waiting for boats and pointing out turtles and alligators and fish and stuff.

I agree they're everywhere, and they're usually not dangerous. But building a beach into their habitat at a resort for kids is just asking for trouble. A beach invites kids to the water's edge. At the very least, the water around the beach should have been netted, and a lifeguard should have been posted to watch for alligators and kids.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: June 17, 2016, 07:56:53 AM »
I think they definitely have a greater duty of care here. like you said, they specialize in little kids. on top of that they are drawing rubes from all over the world who may have no idea what an alligator is and they have outdoor night time activities on that beach. I don't know what the answer is though, I don't think nets are going to keep alligators out as they can just hop on land. and 24 hours a day alligator watchmen seems a bit much. would be interesting to know what the settlement ends up being but it won't be made public and the family will be silent as part of the terms. it won't go to trial, but if it did I'd have a lot of interest in seeing how it plays out. every hotel and resort in Florida, which has a huge amount of revenue from tourism, have alligators all over them. I'm sure there's a lot of jury verdict research out there on alligators attacking tourists at florida hotels and resorts if someone wanted to sift through it.

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: June 17, 2016, 08:55:59 AM »
rough ridin' lawyers (sorry Lawyer Cats). People looking to sue about an alligator in it's natural habitat doing alligator things is rough ridin' stupid.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: June 17, 2016, 08:58:31 AM »
Will it be weird down there when football starts and florida's gator chomp'n ever-y-thing?

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: June 17, 2016, 09:00:38 AM »
Will it be weird down there when football starts and florida's gator chomp'n ever-y-thing?

In response to these recent events, Walt Disney World today cut all jokes related to children and crocodiles from the Jungle Cruise attraction at the Magic Kingdom. Among the jokes, the attraction famously asked parents to “watch their children, or the crocodiles will.”

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: June 17, 2016, 10:09:09 AM »
rough ridin' lawyers (sorry Lawyer Cats). People looking to sue about an alligator in it's natural habitat doing alligator things is rough ridin' stupid.

In fairness, I wasn't talking about suing the alligator. But yeah, I'd absolutely sue the crap out of Disney. This was negligence on their part for all the reasons SD described.

And Disney's response that "they're going to review their signage" is offensively inadequate. It's not feasible to keep alligators off the entire property, but if you construct a beach that attracts children into "the alligator's natural habitat," that beach needs more protection than a sign. It also shouldn't have been accessible at night.

As for settlement, if I was in these parents' shoes, I don't know what I'd do. I wouldn't care about the money - I'd want to punish these assholes. Letting them just cut me a check - even a seven figure check - for the loss of my son wouldn't cut it. But on the other hand, extended litigation just prolongs the pain to the family, too.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 10:15:16 AM by K-S-U-Wildcats! »