Author Topic: Pet Peeves  (Read 180102 times)

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
Re: Pet Peeves
« Reply #2925 on: March 25, 2024, 10:05:15 AM »
BAC - this is all on you.  4 hours was always going to be plenty for 3-year-olds to play.  Especially knowing that the playdate portion of your day was going to be consumed with you and your wife having to hang out with people you dislike, you should've - even without considering the shitshow that would be the hosts offering dinner - made committed plans for your family to have its own time thereafter without those people.  You needed to have a 6 or 6:30 reservation (or at least your own commitment to be there) at a restaurant that is great for your wife and that your kid would be excited to go to, no matter where the playdate stood.  Not sure of the geography, but it could've even been a new place or something that you wouldn't go to often b/c it's out by the cheapskates' fancy neighborhood.

It didn't need to be a split-second decision when the hosts engaged their pizza plot.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2926 on: March 25, 2024, 10:13:20 AM »
Rusty's focus on the gluten free part of this story is my favorite.

the focus is on accommodating his wife! (My GF wife would not let this fly and I seriously think it is more aggregious by the hosts and BAC)

i hear ya rusty i hear ya

After reading through this and thinking about it for a bit, i've come to the conclusion that this family hates BAC's family. Clue 1 was when they ordered pizza for a GF person. This didn't work and the BAC family didn't take the hint and leave. The family then had to come up with a way to make them not come back so they stuck them with the pizza bill. I feel like the next step is for this family to sprinkle peanuts all over the house without asking if any of the kids have an allergy.

This is correct. The hostility is palpable.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2927 on: March 25, 2024, 10:17:35 AM »
I'm curious BAC, if you were the hosting couple, how would you have handled the pizza situation? (in this hypo you ordered the pizzas and had the veggie one and leftovers and more expensive house and all that jazz)

honestly lib7 i would never even think to expect payment from people who i have invited to be a guest in my home. and if they offered to pay i would refuse, or if i didn't really like them very much and was only inviting them b/c i had to, i would say something like "eh you can just pick up the check next time! (but would forget i said that like 5 seconds later and would not, in fact, expect them to pick up the check next time)". I will admit, if they just absolutely insist on chipping in, like they won't let it go, i'm not going to die on that hill.
This is the way

Offline LickNeckey

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #fakeposts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2928 on: March 25, 2024, 12:36:20 PM »
4+ hours of awkward small talk with this cheap/hostile couple seems far more troublesome than $20

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2929 on: March 26, 2024, 09:12:55 PM »
4+ hours of awkward small talk with this cheap/hostile couple seems far more troublesome than $20
That is the part that is upsetting him, not the $20. The $20 is the only leverage he feels he has over them, the only thing he can touch. But he has crucified himself for his child’s friend. Noble, but I think he could choose many other paths.

It I’ve already said too much, because the posters always deserve our respect and admiration for providing the content that turns the discourse machine.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2930 on: March 26, 2024, 09:15:41 PM »
BAC, how was the 'za?

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2931 on: March 26, 2024, 10:28:07 PM »
NGL the ‘za was pretty good (no clue how the mushroom and ricotta was bc that’s literal trash).
But I think I’ve depicted Doug and Mary a bit unfairly. They are perfectly decent people, and we get along just fine. And I’m not even saying their stinginess makes them bad people, it’s just different than how I choose to prioritize stuff in my life. We have honestly had several playdates like meeting up at a park and those went off without a hitch. And I bet we could even do things with them where money is involved so long as we all agreed beforehand.

Like oh you wanna go to the children’s museum? Great! They pay for their admission, we pay for ours, no controversy no perceived unfairness. (We actually have a family membership to the children’s museum that includes guest passes but they don’t know that and I’m not going to tell them)

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2932 on: March 26, 2024, 11:05:51 PM »
NGL the ‘za was pretty good (no clue how the mushroom and ricotta was bc that’s literal trash).
But I think I’ve depicted Doug and Mary a bit unfairly. They are perfectly decent people, and we get along just fine. And I’m not even saying their stinginess makes them bad people, it’s just different than how I choose to prioritize stuff in my life. We have honestly had several playdates like meeting up at a park and those went off without a hitch. And I bet we could even do things with them where money is involved so long as we all agreed beforehand.

Like oh you wanna go to the children’s museum? Great! They pay for their admission, we pay for ours, no controversy no perceived unfairness. (We actually have a family membership to the children’s museum that includes guest passes but they don’t know that and I’m not going to tell them)

First of all, I don't think mushroom and ricotta necessarily sounds bad, so I don't know why you keep trying to trash Doug and Patty Mayonnaise about that.

If your guest passes are limited, I think that's a shrewd move, given #PizzaGate. If they're unlimited though, you're just being Petty Mayonnaise.

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2933 on: March 27, 2024, 12:06:42 AM »
I’d love to try a mushroom and ricotta pizza.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2934 on: March 27, 2024, 12:23:36 AM »
sounds like "pizza"

Online Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #2935 on: March 27, 2024, 08:31:41 AM »
I'd really like to hear Doug and Mary's side of the story.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2936 on: March 27, 2024, 08:34:09 AM »
i would like to know what doug & mary purchased with their ill-gotten gains

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2937 on: March 27, 2024, 08:55:21 AM »
this blog is beneath them

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2938 on: March 27, 2024, 10:06:27 AM »
this blog is beneath them

I feel like you have a lot of pet peeves with this particular family and should elaborate.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2939 on: March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 AM »
Yeah, just kick their asses imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2940 on: March 27, 2024, 10:51:05 AM »
key is to find the kids with the parents that are fun to be around, and essentially make your kids be friends with their kids.  basically instead of a kid play date (hated typing that) you organize an adult hang out, and the kids naturally get to play with each other.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2941 on: March 27, 2024, 11:06:18 AM »
key is to find the kids with the parents that are fun to be around, and essentially make your kids be friends with their kids.  basically instead of a kid play date (hated typing that) you organize an adult hang out, and the kids naturally get to play with each other.
^bingo. trouble is all my friends that meet that criteria either don't have kids, or their kids are nowhere close to mine's age, or they live like a thousand miles away. sure i (a middle aged man) could go actively seeking out new friends but what am i some kind of psychopath?

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2942 on: March 27, 2024, 11:07:14 AM »
^bingo. trouble is all my friends that meet that criteria either don't have kids, or their kids are nowhere close to mine's age, or they live like a thousand miles away. sure i (a middle aged man) could go actively seeking out new friends but what am i some kind of psychopath?

Have you tried Bumble BFF?

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2943 on: March 27, 2024, 11:18:30 AM »

key for myself is youth sports.  instantly have a bunch of kids that are your kids exact same age!  pick out the parents that seem cool, talk with them during a practice or game.  they seem cool, YOU ARE IN! 

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2944 on: March 27, 2024, 11:26:19 AM »

no you start with the kids and do trial play dates. I went through this in California - our first attempts at family friendships started with some awful people but ended with two families on our street that we just met in Mexico for vacation. They are all lifetime friends.