Author Topic: Cell Phone Insiders  (Read 538670 times)

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Cell Phone Insiders
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2010, 11:07:10 AM »
I didn't say anything about Verizon vs. Sprint. I'm telling you that the Evo we use lasts a full day without charging, and we're heavy users (obviously).

I've never seen nor used the HTC Incredible, so I'll have to take your word that the battery sucks. But there's no bias here; battery life has nothing to do with carriers.

Thanks, that's what I was getting at. 

I think it has as much to do with figuring out what is running in the background, etc, as the battery being terrible.  But I do think these newer phones do a ton of stuff that eats batteries up pretty quickly.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2010, 11:11:54 AM »
that supersonic handset is going to be massively elite.  worth it even in 3G coverage areas.

hey couple q's:

1)  am worried about low wave EMF, what is the best bluetooth to not look like a douche?

2)  my mom and step-dad want a droid or iphone.  which is most old people friendly.  they have been talking about this forever, it is like a visionquest for them.  they are both retired and have a kindle and aren't complete retards, but are still partially Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!).

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2010, 11:13:40 AM »
2)  my mom and step-dad want a droid or iphone.  which is most old people friendly.  they have been talking about this forever, it is like a visionquest for them.  they are both retired and have a kindle and aren't complete retards, but are still partially Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!).

iphone.  Apple stuff is made for old people (not pc fanboy talk here just pointing out their stuff is very easy to use)

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2010, 11:42:15 AM »
2)  my mom and step-dad want a droid or iphone.  which is most old people friendly.  they have been talking about this forever, it is like a visionquest for them.  they are both retired and have a kindle and aren't complete retards, but are still partially Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!).

iphone.  Apple stuff is made for old people (not pc fanboy talk here just pointing out their stuff is very easy to use)

Droid is pretty easy too.  You will like it a lot.

And KK, I don't think a bluetooth ear thing exists that won't make you look like a dork.  If you need to wear it in the car or whatever I think that's fine, but don't wear it around the house, Walmart, etc.  JMHO.

Offline bonercat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2010, 11:44:57 AM »
2)  my mom and step-dad want a droid or iphone.  which is most old people friendly.  they have been talking about this forever, it is like a visionquest for them.  they are both retired and have a kindle and aren't complete retards, but are still partially Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!).

iphone.  Apple stuff is made for old people (not pc fanboy talk here just pointing out their stuff is very easy to use)

+1

I think the Droids take more of a learning curve than the IPhone. At least with my Hero it took a little while to get used to the marketplace, customizing the phone, and getting programs to kill running programs to save battery life.
[

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2010, 11:53:34 AM »
I think the Droids take more of a learning curve than the IPhone. At least with my Hero it took a little while to get used to the marketplace, customizing the phone, and getting programs to kill running programs to save battery life.

This is a good point. 

What have you found to be the more battery intense apps/programs to kill?

Offline bonercat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2010, 12:02:22 PM »

This is a good point. 

What have you found to be the more battery intense apps/programs to kill?

Pretty much anything that uses the phone's GPS I think helps to drain it a bit faster than some of the other stuff. So after I use Google Maps or Sprint Navigation, I make sure to kill the app to turn the GPS off. Gotta make sure to turn off the WiFi after using it as well.

Some of the widgets I use tend to operate here and there throughout the day too like my Coupons app but I don't think it drains things too bad.

To clarify, even though there is a bit more of a learning curve with the Android, I don't think I'd go to an iphone after using a Droid. The cost is just not worth it to me to do so.

That said, the Hero is laggy at times and will piss me off here and there when I'm trying to answer a call. However, the Sprint Hero's are getting an upgrade in the android software soon (I think by the end of May) that is supposed to really reduce the lag and improve the phone's performance.

I did play with an Evo, and it did give me a broner. It's amazing.
[

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2010, 12:05:58 PM »
Pretty much anything that uses the phone's GPS I think helps to drain it a bit faster than some of the other stuff. So after I use Google Maps or Sprint Navigation, I make sure to kill the app to turn the GPS off. Gotta make sure to turn off the WiFi after using it as well.

Some of the widgets I use tend to operate here and there throughout the day too like my Coupons app but I don't think it drains things too bad.

To clarify, even though there is a bit more of a learning curve with the Android, I don't think I'd go to an iphone after using a Droid. The cost is just not worth it to me to do so.

That said, the Hero is laggy at times and will piss me off here and there when I'm trying to answer a call. However, the Sprint Hero's are getting an upgrade in the android software soon (I think by the end of May) that is supposed to really reduce the lag and improve the phone's performance.

I did play with an Evo, and it did give me a broner. It's amazing.

I have the Incredible, so speed is not really an issue. 

Right now I'm just figuring out how to manage/navigate Android (which I like a lot) after switching from WinMob devices and especially how to do so and keep the battery life decent.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2010, 12:18:44 PM »
However, the Sprint Hero's are getting an upgrade in the android software soon (I think by the end of May) that is supposed to really reduce the lag and improve the phone's performance.

Android 2.1 for Hero should be available tomorrow.

hey couple q's:

1)  am worried about low wave EMF, what is the best bluetooth to not look like a douche?
_FAN is pretty much right.  if i were going to get some bluetooth headphones i would go with something like these that i can use when working out too.

http://direct.motorola.com/hellomoto/s9/ 

they should go into the store and play with them both.

_FAN you know that the EVO has a higher rated battery than the Incred right? 
Is the 8GB of Incred internal memory on a microSD card? 

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 06, 2010, 12:49:02 PM »
_FAN you know that the EVO has a higher rated battery than the Incred right? 
Is the 8GB of Incred internal memory on a microSD card? 

I see that now, 1500 compared to 1300 for the Incredible. 

Yes, 8GB is actual (some is for processes, about 6.5 or so is usable), then you can expand with a microSD card (I added 8G more).  Its weird that the EVO isn't that big as well.  HTC should've made a bigger battery standard in the Incredible, you can get a 1750 now that is the same size and that would've made more sense.  There is a ton out there now on the phone since it came out, and by far the biggest complaint is battery life.  There are other things said, but most are b/c of user issues, not the phone.  Granted, some of the battery issues are b/c user issues as well, but it still seems to be a problem.  I imagine even with the slightly bigger battery, this will be an EVO issue as well when it comes out. 

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 06, 2010, 01:59:24 PM »
the battery life was my biggest concern as well- you've got 3 radios on it running simultaneously, a HD camera, etc, etc, etc but I've heard good things about the battery, which surprised me.  we'll see in about a month.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 06, 2010, 02:15:16 PM »
that supersonic handset is going to be massively elite.  worth it even in 3G coverage areas.

hey couple q's:

i know of some custom made in the canal devices that can take bluetooth and stuff. they're pretty expensive though. not really all that great for having a phone conversation either cause the mic is actually on a wireless remote that you'd have to wear on a neck loop or hold up by your mouth. they would be/are pretty incredible for walking around and listening to an ipod or something though cause they're so small most people wouldn't/don't even notice them. been thinking about using one at work so i can stream audio from my computer to my ear wirelessly and walk around listening to the royals game or music or stuff all day without people really knowing. again, pretty expensive but i know a guy.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 06, 2010, 02:20:09 PM »

hey couple q's:

i know of some custom made in the canal devices that can take bluetooth and stuff. they're pretty expensive though. not really all that great for having a phone conversation either cause the mic is actually on a wireless remote that you'd have to wear on a neck loop or hold up by your mouth. they would be/are pretty incredible for walking around and listening to an ipod or something though cause they're so small most people wouldn't/don't even notice them. been thinking about using one at work so i can stream audio from my computer to my ear wirelessly and walk around listening to the royals game or music or stuff all day without people really knowing. again, pretty expensive but i know a guy.

what is a group rate/know a guy rate?

Offline bonercat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 06, 2010, 02:23:43 PM »
However, the Sprint Hero's are getting an upgrade in the android software soon (I think by the end of May) that is supposed to really reduce the lag and improve the phone's performance.

Android 2.1 for Hero should be available tomorrow.

If this is correct you are my new favorite person for a month.
[

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 06, 2010, 02:45:48 PM »
Don't get that excited about 2.1, that's all I'm gonna say.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 06, 2010, 03:46:41 PM »
When is Froyo gonna make the rounds?

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 06, 2010, 06:50:55 PM »

hey couple q's:

just talked to him. kind of a tricky question. even if he took an impression of your ear and ordered the device and sold it to you at his cost, you'd be looking at @$1,000. however, every once and a while companies will make demos for him. so if/when a company does this they are free. so i guess the answer is potentially free or @$1,000.  :dunno:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 06, 2010, 08:38:23 PM »

hey couple q's:

just talked to him. kind of a tricky question. even if he took an impression of your ear and ordered the device and sold it to you at his cost, you'd be looking at @$1,000. however, every once and a while companies will make demos for him. so if/when a company does this they are free. so i guess the answer is potentially free or @$1,000.  :dunno:
:surprised:

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 06, 2010, 08:45:44 PM »

hey couple q's:

i'm in.  for the $1000 one, not the free one.  check pm for ear diagram.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 07, 2010, 01:27:52 AM »
Any of you Android dudes use webOS recently?  I am a long time devoted Palm user and I got a Pre 1 month after launch.  It's nearly been a year and I'm losing my patience with this platform and the redic amount of bugs.  Don't know crap about android other than I can run Sling on HTC so I'm looking for a good comparo.

tia

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 07, 2010, 08:10:46 AM »

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 07, 2010, 08:13:39 AM »
Any of you Android dudes use webOS recently?  I am a long time devoted Palm user and I got a Pre 1 month after launch.  It's nearly been a year and I'm losing my patience with this platform and the redic amount of bugs.  Don't know crap about android other than I can run Sling on HTC so I'm looking for a good comparo.

tia
webOS is a great operating system.  you do know why HP just spent $1.2B buying Palm don't you?  it wasn't for their hardware.  the only thing that webOS suffers from is a lack of developers which stems from a lack of users.  the operating system itself delivered a hell of a lot more than iphone OS could at its launch and it's not even a year old.

M.I.R.- your comments make me think you're dumber than our resident brain doctor.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 07, 2010, 08:17:04 AM »
http://gizmodo.com/5533247/rumor-htc-evo-4g-to-cost-200-on-contract-on-sale-june-6th

$200 isn't too bad :dunno:
nope not bad, i was surprised when i found out (like 2 months ago :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: )

Christ, I don't even know why we HAVE cell phone insiders here

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 07, 2010, 08:49:14 AM »
it was top secret.  don't worry, that kruger25 guy didn't even know :lol: :lol: :lol:  sad really...  u digg?  :cool: