Author Topic: Cell Phone Insiders  (Read 538609 times)

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
Re: Cell Phone Insiders
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2010, 03:46:09 PM »
Just picked up the new HTC for TMobile.  :pbj: Still playing with it, but it is pretty damn impressive so far.

Much faster than my old BB.  Camera/vid is amazing compared to BB, as is screen and resolution. 
 :excited:so far.

You do know HTC and BB make more than one style of phone, right?

Yep, I had the Curve 8320.  Just bought the htc HD2.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2010, 04:20:03 PM »
HD2 looks pretty awesome. Too bad it's a dead platform.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2010, 04:59:12 PM »

Meh, what can you do?

I will ride this one for 2 yrs, chuck it, and get something new.  For now, it is awesome.  Amazing how fast it is.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2010, 06:40:04 PM »
i think what HTC did was take the HD2, boil it in Sprint provided steroids, and tada- the EVO 4G was born

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2010, 11:30:04 PM »

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2010, 08:45:37 AM »
Just picked up the new HTC for TMobile.  :pbj: Still playing with it, but it is pretty damn impressive so far.

Much faster than my old BB.  Camera/vid is amazing compared to BB, as is screen and resolution. 

Hope you didn't pay more than $99 for it

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003BNZD3C/ref=nosim/?tag=fatwalletcom&linkCode=as1

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2010, 09:22:44 AM »

Hope you didn't pay more than $99 for it

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003BNZD3C/ref=nosim/?tag=fatwalletcom&linkCode=as1

All on the company's dime.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2010, 09:24:29 AM »
TMobile.

:lol:

Work phone, man.  No choice on my part.

That said, I have had Verizon and Sprint at my past job, and find T-Mobile to be more reliable as far as dropped calls go, and every bit as fast on data transfer where I live(outlying area).

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2010, 10:47:55 AM »
every company drops calls, every company has spotty coverage, etc.  t-mobile's data network does suck though, they just don't have the technology or footprint.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2010, 11:55:42 AM »
every company drops calls, every company has spotty coverage, etc.  t-mobile's data network does suck though, they just don't have the technology or footprint.

I am know you are right on the calls and coverage.

I am believe you on the data network note.

Just speaking from my personal experience.  Where I travel, there are 2 or 3 consistent spots where calls are dropped(all low spots in the middle of rural areas).  However, I get practically zero drops outside of those areas.  Where, with Sprint, I was dropping calls in the middle of Hyde Park, Midtown,  and down town sometimes and not others.  It was completely random and inconsistent.  I just don't experience that with T-Mobile. 

I haven't had a smart phone on the sprint network in 3 yrs, though.  So, my experience with their data speed is not enough to fairly compare.

Offline BRULL

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2010, 12:41:50 PM »

I believe you abot T-Mobile... The 3G on my htc goes out all the f'ing time.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2010, 01:41:52 PM »
i think what HTC did was take the HD2, boil it in Sprint provided steroids, and tada- the EVO 4G was born

And that's why I shall get one.

Offline O-town Kat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2010, 10:52:20 PM »
hd video.  :fatty:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/23/htc-evo-4g-nexus-one-and-droid-face-off-on-the-charted-field-o/

How much will this cost me, Sprinters?

I think the cost of the device will be subsidized ($200 or so after rebate w/contract etc) but don't expect the $70/mo. plans to apply; if you have one of those dual mode air cards for instance, monthly recurring charges are more to use 4g (where available).  sprint employee btw

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2010, 09:34:54 AM »

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/23/htc-evo-4g-nexus-one-and-droid-face-off-on-the-charted-field-o/

I think the cost of the device will be subsidized ($200 or so after rebate w/contract etc) but don't expect the $70/mo. plans to apply; if you have one of those dual mode air cards for instance, monthly recurring charges are more to use 4g (where available).  sprint employee btw

What if you don't live in a 4g area?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2010, 01:35:49 PM »
Don't listen to o-townqat, sounds more like o-retardkat

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2010, 02:35:45 PM »
Don't listen to o-townqat, sounds more like o-retardkat

^

Offline O-town Kat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2010, 10:11:06 PM »

What if you don't live in a 4g area?

Will work on the 3g network too, 4g where available.  4g rollout will continue  in 2011.  houston just launched.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2010, 09:38:48 AM »
http://gizmodo.com/5532327/htc-evo-4g-could-be-up-for-pre+order-this-month-with-an-early-june-launch

:excited:

:gocho:

Looks like a great phone.  I'm surprised by only 1G of storage compared to 8G on the Incredible.  The screen will be enormous and amazing though, the smaller screen on my Incredible is amazing.

And plan on buying an extended battery unless you want to keep it on the charger a lot, the amount of stuff these things can do drains the ones they come with extremely quickly.  I'm trying to decide between an extended 1750 (over the 1300 that comes with the phone) that still fits in the current case or one of the bigger ones (2150) that requires a bigger back and makes the phone quite a bit fatter.  

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2010, 10:03:17 AM »
And plan on buying an extended battery unless you want to keep it on the charger a lot, the amount of stuff these things can do drains the ones they come with extremely quickly.  I'm trying to decide between an extended 1750 (over the 1300 that comes with the phone) that still fits in the current case or one of the bigger ones (2150) that requires a bigger back and makes the phone quite a bit fatter. 

The Evo makes it through a day without charging, easy.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2010, 10:06:51 AM »
And plan on buying an extended battery unless you want to keep it on the charger a lot, the amount of stuff these things can do drains the ones they come with extremely quickly.  I'm trying to decide between an extended 1750 (over the 1300 that comes with the phone) that still fits in the current case or one of the bigger ones (2150) that requires a bigger back and makes the phone quite a bit fatter.  

I know your biased here, but how much use?  What size is the battery?  

They are both HTC phones, so let's avoid the Sprint/Verizon crap.  
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 10:08:22 AM by ksu_FAN »

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2010, 10:10:56 AM »

:surprised:

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2010, 10:16:54 AM »

:surprised:

I would appreciate koug's opinion on this, but could do without the obvious bias here.  No offense kougs.

I've just noticed if you use the phone a lot, especially internet, etc. there is no way you can make it through the day with the 1300 battery it comes with.  But if I power off when I'm not using it, put it on the charger a bit while driving(about 20-30 minutes), then I'm okay.

Really, battery is the only issue I have, it is a great phone.  And no doubt there will be some improvements on the EVO.  But I'm thinking the technology of what these phones can do is outpacing the technology of Lith-Ion batteries, at least the smaller factory versions the phones come with.

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2010, 10:56:19 AM »
And plan on buying an extended battery unless you want to keep it on the charger a lot, the amount of stuff these things can do drains the ones they come with extremely quickly.  I'm trying to decide between an extended 1750 (over the 1300 that comes with the phone) that still fits in the current case or one of the bigger ones (2150) that requires a bigger back and makes the phone quite a bit fatter. 

I know your biased here, but how much use?  What size is the battery? 

I didn't say anything about Verizon vs. Sprint. I'm telling you that the Evo we use lasts a full day without charging, and we're heavy users (obviously).

I've never seen nor used the HTC Incredible, so I'll have to take your word that the battery sucks. But there's no bias here; battery life has nothing to do with carriers.