Author Topic: Cell Phone Insiders  (Read 538666 times)

Offline j-von

• Katpak'r
  • Hates The Band
    • View Profile
Re: Cell Phone Insiders
« Reply #1000 on: April 14, 2011, 02:30:00 PM »
Got the Thunderbolt this week.  Pretty awesome, and if you tweak the settings (Turn off 4G etc), the battery isn't an issue at all.  

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: April 14, 2011, 04:07:53 PM »
Got the Thunderbolt this week.  Pretty awesome, and if you tweak the settings (Turn off 4G etc), the battery isn't an issue at all. 

so you got the Thunderbolt presumably because it's a 4G phone, and then you have to turn 4G off to make it through the day, battery-wise?

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: April 14, 2011, 04:09:36 PM »
False alarm.  They sent me another HD2.   :dubious:

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: April 14, 2011, 04:28:05 PM »

I really miss Windows Solitaire.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: April 14, 2011, 05:33:16 PM »
Got the Thunderbolt this week.  Pretty awesome, and if you tweak the settings (Turn off 4G etc), the battery isn't an issue at all. 

so you got the Thunderbolt presumably because it's a 4G phone, and then you have to turn 4G off to make it through the day, battery-wise?
that's how it is with my HTC EVO 4G.  i keep the wimax, GPS, and WiFi radios all off, otherwise my battery is dead after being off the charger for 7 hrs.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1005 on: April 14, 2011, 05:33:58 PM »

I really miss Windows Solitaire.

do not have.

:dubious:

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: April 14, 2011, 11:41:05 PM »

that's how it is with my HTC EVO 4G.  i keep the wimax, GPS, and WiFi radios all off, otherwise my battery is dead after being off the charger for 7 hrs.

Same. 4G is spotty here, as well. Having wifi connected to a network actually uses less battery than 3g, though.

Offline Johnny Thunderbone

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: April 15, 2011, 12:14:34 AM »

Same. 4G is spotty here, as well. Having wifi connected to a network actually uses less battery than 3g, though.

I rooted my EVO and am running Cyanogenmod7 currently. Seriously feels like the battery life has doubled. Runs a lot quicker and you can backload nearly any app for free. Also, free WiMax and free WiFi tethering.

Can't wait to see how Google integrates their new multi-million dollar fiber optic technology in KCK with Android phones.

Offline j-von

• Katpak'r
  • Hates The Band
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: April 15, 2011, 01:55:02 AM »

I got the Thunderbolt because it's the best phone Verizon has currently. 4G didn't matter to me since Manhattan probably won't see it until my 2 year contract is up anyways.  KC will get it sometime in 2012, and the only city in Kansas that will have it in 2011 will be Wichita.

I've had it off the charger for about 14-15 hours now and I've used it to make quite a few calls, surf the internet, text, even played some games on the crapper and the battery has about 70% left so the people (on the interwebs, not here) complaining about the battery must not have it setup right or spend all day on their phone.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: April 15, 2011, 08:29:26 AM »
Got the Thunderbolt this week.  Pretty awesome, and if you tweak the settings (Turn off 4G etc), the battery isn't an issue at all.  

that's how it is with my HTC EVO 4G.  i keep the wimax, GPS, and WiFi radios all off, otherwise my battery is dead after being off the charger for 7 hrs.

i don't think the 3G radio is off when you turn the WiFi radio on, is it?

that's how it is with my HTC EVO 4G.  i keep the wimax, GPS, and WiFi radios all off, otherwise my battery is dead after being off the charger for 7 hrs.

I rooted my EVO and am running Cyanogenmod7 currently. Seriously feels like the battery life has doubled. Runs a lot quicker and you can backload nearly any app for free. Also, free WiMax and free WiFi tethering.

Can't wait to see how Google integrates their new multi-million dollar fiber optic technology in KCK with Android phones.
i'd pay someone to successfully root my EVO, despite reading the Rooting For Dummies thread on Android Forums I still get lost with a lot of the terminology and process.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: April 15, 2011, 09:20:56 AM »

3G does turn off with wifi on. You don't need to pull data from two places, so it shuts it off. The problem is, when wifi is on and it's not connected to a router, it murders your battery. I use wifi when I decide to update all my apps or stream stuff.

i'd pay someone to successfully root my EVO, despite reading the Rooting For Dummies thread on Android Forums I still get lost with a lot of the terminology and process.

I'm in the same boat. I really want to load CM7 on it, but I just know I'll mess it up.

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: April 15, 2011, 03:30:44 PM »

crap. my Epic makes it through the day easy. at work i'm on 4G, WiFi at home. i only turn GPS on when i'm actually using Navigator.

and yeah, the quickest way to drain a battery is to leave WiFi on without a connection. you can almost see the battery icon bar moving.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: April 15, 2011, 04:39:32 PM »

crap. my Epic makes it through the day easy. at work i'm on 4G, WiFi at home. i only turn GPS on when i'm actually using Navigator.

and yeah, the quickest way to drain a battery is to leave WiFi on without a connection. you can almost see the battery icon bar moving.

The Evo has a pretty lame battery. It's the same mah rating as the touch pro 2. That said, it was pretty kick ass for the tp2, but I get home with about an hour of calling and pretty heavy usage throughout the day and have it at 60-50% full. I bought an extended battery for when I travel.

Offline Johnny Thunderbone

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: April 17, 2011, 02:52:18 AM »

Took me about 5 hours reading and re-reading and re-re-reading to make absolutely sure I was going about it the right way with the correct software. Used http://unrevoked.com/ and ultimately it was a very painless process. Wouldn't trust myself doing it to someone else's phone though.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: April 17, 2011, 02:10:04 PM »
sounds racist

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: April 17, 2011, 03:49:01 PM »
Is CM7 buggy? I've heard good and bad about it. Mostly good though. I may get around to doing it soon. I want to see what android is like without sense.

Offline SwiftCat

• #LIFE
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Depth Charge
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: April 18, 2011, 12:16:51 AM »
Is CM7 buggy? I've heard good and bad about it. Mostly good though. I may get around to doing it soon. I want to see what android is like without sense.

CM7 is built to run on many different phones, so it wouldn't be quite as smooth as a ROM built specifically for your phone.

Offline dmartin

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: April 22, 2011, 09:44:41 AM »
Work is considering switching from Verizon to ATT. Currently have a DroidX. Suggestions on new phone?  Looking at the Atrix. Anything better coming out very soon? (like next 30 days)

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: May 12, 2011, 03:56:20 PM »
Netflix for android was released today.

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: May 12, 2011, 03:56:57 PM »
Netflix for android was released today.

:party:

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1020 on: May 12, 2011, 04:02:57 PM »
Work is considering switching from Verizon to ATT.

that would be dumb.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: May 12, 2011, 05:06:27 PM »
Took me about 5 hours reading and re-reading and re-re-reading to make absolutely sure I was going about it the right way with the correct software. Used http://unrevoked.com/ and ultimately it was a very painless process. Wouldn't trust myself doing it to someone else's phone though.

I've had a Droid Incredible for nearly a year and was very cautious to root it. A friend showed me unrevoked.com, so I went for it. Very easy and safe process, really rooting for the extra scared/dumb out there. Then installed this (android wifi tether) and now my Incredible is a free wifi hotspot. Connected to my laptop and my iPad just fine.

Anything else that those who have rooted recommend? I've seen some things that are supposed to help with battery life and speed, but I'm not sure which ones to try.

Offline CrushNasty

• Katpak'r
  • Future Shooter Jones W.C.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: May 12, 2011, 10:05:31 PM »
Can't wait for the HD7S to come out for AT&T...  :bracketmouse:

Supposed to be any day now!!  :excited:
 :katpak:

Offline SwiftCat

• #LIFE
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Depth Charge
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: May 13, 2011, 01:09:24 AM »

I've had a Droid Incredible for nearly a year and was very cautious to root it. A friend showed me unrevoked.com, so I went for it. Very easy and safe process, really rooting for the extra scared/dumb out there. Then installed this (android wifi tether) and now my Incredible is a free wifi hotspot. Connected to my laptop and my iPad just fine.

Anything else that those who have rooted recommend? I've seen some things that are supposed to help with battery life and speed, but I'm not sure which ones to try.

Font Changer is a good app. It allows you to change the system font of your phone. But really, I think the best part of rooting is being able to flash new ROMS and Themes, allowing you to completely change the way your phone looks and acts.

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: May 13, 2011, 01:23:09 AM »
Rooting scares the crap out of me.