Author Topic: Cell Phone Insiders  (Read 538596 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Cell Phone Insiders
« Reply #950 on: March 07, 2011, 06:24:29 PM »
Swipe blows ass compared to SlideIT.  I will note, however, that SlideIT is geared towards elite power users.

I'll try it, but color me skeptical. I don't see much room to improve on what Swype does. You draw over the letters of the word: it types out the word. :dunno:

They function in the same way, however, Swype's dictionary sucks.  It makes up way too many words, the helpful hints that pop up all the time suck. SlideIT learns your words/phrases/etc much quicker and seems to be a lot more intuitive that Swype ever was for me.

Hate this about swype.

IIRC you can turn off the tips

I have well documented issues with Swype.  When you instruct Swype to not give the pop-up tips it still does and with the bullshit words that it makes up it's beyond annoying.  Even when you delete the words from the dictionary they show back up again when you reset your device.  My last name is Johnson, so the "Johndon" that continually came up pissed me off.  Don't know what was worst "Johndon" or "abd."

I've been using SlideIT for a week and it is great, thanks 'sclams.  My only issue is that the dictionary isn't big enough, but it is much better to add words than to repeatedly delete scores of bullshit ones.  Some of you cheap assholes would eat spam and gubment cheese just because its free.

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: March 07, 2011, 07:36:48 PM »
Swipe blows ass compared to SlideIT.  I will note, however, that SlideIT is geared towards elite power users.

I'll try it, but color me skeptical. I don't see much room to improve on what Swype does. You draw over the letters of the word: it types out the word. :dunno:

They function in the same way, however, Swype's dictionary sucks.  It makes up way too many words, the helpful hints that pop up all the time suck. SlideIT learns your words/phrases/etc much quicker and seems to be a lot more intuitive that Swype ever was for me.

Hate this about swype.

I have well documented issues with Swype.  When you instruct Swype to not give the pop-up tips it still does and with the bullcac words that it makes up it's beyond annoying.  Even when you delete the words from the dictionary they show back up again when you reset your device.  My last name is Johnson, so the "Johndon" that continually came up pissed me off.  Don't know what was worst "Johndon" or "abd."

I've been using SlideIT for a week and it is great, thanks 'sclams.  My only issue is that the dictionary isn't big enough, but it is much better to add words than to repeatedly delete scores of bullcac ones.  Some of you cheap assholes would eat spam and gubment cheese just because its free.

Never had these issues with Swype. I'm chalking it up to user error / MiR having really fat fingers.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: March 07, 2011, 08:02:48 PM »

Hate this about swype.

I have well documented issues with Swype.  When you instruct Swype to not give the pop-up tips it still does and with the bullshit words that it makes up it's beyond annoying.  Even when you delete the words from the dictionary they show back up again when you reset your device.  My last name is Johnson, so the "Johndon" that continually came up pissed me off.  Don't know what was worst "Johndon" or "abd."

I've been using SlideIT for a week and it is great, thanks 'sclams.  My only issue is that the dictionary isn't big enough, but it is much better to add words than to repeatedly delete scores of bullshit ones.  Some of you cheap assholes would eat spam and gubment cheese just because its free.
good to know that not everyone here is a complete a-clown.  MiR, obviously promoted to elite user status.  summed up my thoughts exactly.  props.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: March 07, 2011, 09:33:05 PM »

Hate this about swype.

I have well documented issues with Swype.  When you instruct Swype to not give the pop-up tips it still does and with the bullcac words that it makes up it's beyond annoying.  Even when you delete the words from the dictionary they show back up again when you reset your device.  My last name is Johnson, so the "Johndon" that continually came up pissed me off.  Don't know what was worst "Johndon" or "abd."

I've been using SlideIT for a week and it is great, thanks 'sclams.  My only issue is that the dictionary isn't big enough, but it is much better to add words than to repeatedly delete scores of bullcac ones.  Some of you cheap assholes would eat spam and gubment cheese just because its free.
good to know that not everyone here is a complete a-clown.  MiR, obviously promoted to elite user status.  summed up my thoughts exactly.  props.

Just added you to the "Has Fat Fingers" list. :users:

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: March 12, 2011, 03:42:06 PM »
Switched to SlideIT. 

I got tired of Swype sending out a new version every couple months, then the version on my phone wouldn't work. I then had to uninstall, find the new beta, install, etc.

Its worth the $6 to just have it as a regular app that updates itself. I have no idea why Swype didn't ever just make theirs a regular app in the Android App store, even if they charged a dollar or two.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: March 12, 2011, 04:11:37 PM »
target had the optimus v's on sale for 129 and they gave you a $20 gift card.

None were available anywhere. :blank:

Offline O-town Kat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: March 12, 2011, 05:46:16 PM »
Optimus must be doing well on the sprint side b/c they won't let employees buy them. Remarkable for a mid-range phone.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: March 24, 2011, 07:34:18 AM »
Got the Optimus V. Love the phone. The Virgin Mobile data network is an incredible joke. It's absolutely ridiculous.

Clams? Kougs? :blank:

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: March 28, 2011, 11:08:01 AM »
LOL, just got asked how I racked up 10gb in data usage last month on my phone.   Explained to the boss how the EVO worked...

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #960 on: March 28, 2011, 11:29:17 AM »
Got the Optimus V. Love the phone. The Virgin Mobile data network is an incredible joke. It's absolutely ridiculous.

Sorry, I have no insidery info from the prepaid world. Most of the things I've heard about Sprint's prepaid networks have been positive though. Just really slow in your experience, or what?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: April 01, 2011, 10:39:36 AM »

VM doesn't have a network, they use sprint's and verizons.  quit living in bfe, redneck hayseed.  boom, slow roasted.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline The1BigWillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Known to be a horrible person... (BORN 7/4/75)
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: April 01, 2011, 10:54:49 AM »
I've had my EVO for about a month and it's already running reall slowly at times. It's pissing me off.
"That's what you get when you let some dude from Los Angles/Texas with the alias Mookfu raw dog it.  Willesgirl can back me up here.  There's a lesson in this.  You only get HIV once; make it count." - Mr. Bread

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: April 01, 2011, 10:56:52 AM »
I've had my EVO for about a month and it's already running reall slowly at times. It's pissing me off.

slow how?  boom, roasted.

Offline The1BigWillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: April 01, 2011, 11:22:13 AM »

Starting up after the lock screen, switching between apps, camera starting up.  It's about as slow as my shitty old iPhone was. :(  :dunno:
"That's what you get when you let some dude from Los Angles/Texas with the alias Mookfu raw dog it.  Willesgirl can back me up here.  There's a lesson in this.  You only get HIV once; make it count." - Mr. Bread

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: April 01, 2011, 11:36:34 AM »

Starting up after the lock screen, switching between apps, camera starting up.  It's about as slow as my shitty old iPhone was. :(  :dunno:

do you reboot it occasionally?  do you ever go into the settings/applications and make sure you don't have every nascar app on the phone running at the same time?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: April 01, 2011, 11:58:18 AM »

shouldn't do that.  something is wrong.  stop by a sprint store and have them help you.  tell them s'clams sent you.

Offline The1BigWillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: April 01, 2011, 12:09:39 PM »

do you reboot it occasionally?  do you ever go into the settings/applications and make sure you don't have every nascar app on the phone running at the same time?

Wow... ton of crap running.  Shut it down.  Appears to be much better.  Thanks!  :emawkid:

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: April 01, 2011, 12:15:42 PM »
ya you should pull your battery every few days and reboot it. 

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: April 01, 2011, 01:18:35 PM »

VM doesn't have a network, they use sprint's and verizons.  quit living in bfe, redneck hayseed.  boom, slow roasted.

Well Sprint's network was down for a couple days, dumbass. Works great now! :pbj:

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: April 01, 2011, 03:30:51 PM »
ya, they usually take it down from time to time in areas where they think no one lives because it saves them money.  boom.  data.

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: April 04, 2011, 12:50:48 PM »
ya, they usually take it down from time to time in areas where they think no one lives because it saves them money.  boom.  data.

lol

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: April 04, 2011, 12:58:32 PM »
I should say I really love the phone. Very compact, light. I don't want to watch movies or anything, and I'm a cheapskate, so it's great for me.

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: April 04, 2011, 01:01:21 PM »
I should say I really love the phone. Very compact, light. I don't want to watch movies or anything, and I'm a cheapskate, so it's great for me.

Speaking of which: anyone else find it hilariously stupid that T-Mobile thought it was a good idea to preload Inception on a phone?

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #974 on: April 04, 2011, 01:14:50 PM »
hey if any of you care at all, amazon has an android application store now and give you a free "non-free" application every day (?)

also

OurGroceries is a  pretty good application to use if you have to share shopping lists with multiple people.