Author Topic: Cell Phone Insiders  (Read 538756 times)

Offline turns_cats_trashy

• Combo-Fan
  • We're all living in Wally world
    • View Profile
Re: Cell Phone Insiders
« Reply #750 on: January 12, 2011, 10:22:30 PM »
If you wanna pull the trigger you need to have unrevoked, once you get everything set up that program does the rooting for you.
"Kansas coach Bill Self, who wears the worst toupee we've seen in college sports yet is seemingly never called on it." - Deadspin

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: January 12, 2011, 10:24:50 PM »
ok cool, thanks.  i don't want to brick my phone though.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: January 12, 2011, 10:30:38 PM »
ok cool, thanks.  i don't want to brick my phone though.

Yeah but that only happens to maybe one in every thousand and if you have insurance on it worst case scenario that happens, you say you lost your phone, put up $100 and get a new one.
"Kansas coach Bill Self, who wears the worst toupee we've seen in college sports yet is seemingly never called on it." - Deadspin

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: January 12, 2011, 11:50:01 PM »
I think I'll root once Gingerbread comes out and Unrevoked has a method for it. Wireless tethering and ad blocking alone are worth rooting.

Offline slimz

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: January 13, 2011, 12:17:21 AM »
I hate the crap out of AT&T's data service

pretty bad business decision that they've waited so long to deploy LTE considering everything they had at stake and the fact that they spent the last 4 years bathing in apple's money.

losing iphone 4 exclusivity is really going to hurt them badly.  their growth came almost exclusively from the iphone.

If AT&T doesn't continue to grandfather their existing unlimited data plans for the iPhone, they stand to lose a lot of business.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: January 13, 2011, 08:58:45 AM »
I hate the crap out of AT&T's data service

pretty bad business decision that they've waited so long to deploy LTE considering everything they had at stake and the fact that they spent the last 4 years bathing in apple's money.

losing iphone 4 exclusivity is really going to hurt them badly.  their growth came almost exclusively from the iphone.

If AT&T doesn't continue to grandfather their existing unlimited data plans for the iPhone, they stand to lose a lot of business.
i don't understand, pls explain

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline pufiZzle

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: January 13, 2011, 10:27:52 AM »
Is LTE even launching in KC?  If so, when? I know Verizon doesn't have any current 4G phones available and neither of the ones you mentioned are 4g anyway.  Plus, as clams mentioned, verizon will cost more for their data plans.  The only benefit to verizon that I can see is that the iphone seems more elite.  I would definitely not go with verizon and a droid given the cost differences and no current 4g.

No official date yet for KC.  Probably looking like end of this year beginning of next year which sucks.  Wichita is getting it soon though!!!!!   :emawkid:

I've actually compared my X to my buddy's EVO on 4g in KC and saw almost zero difference in speed...........actually my X was faster in some instances.  The Motorola Bionic (2 separate 1Ghz processors  :drool:) is due in stores February 17th.  That will be the first 4g handset to hit Verizon stores with the Thunderbolt and some others close behind. 

In tablet news........the Motorola Xoom??  Holy mother of wooldridge this thing is going to be elite.  10 inch screen, 4g, honeycomb, front and back facing cameras, hdmi out.......... :runaway:

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: January 13, 2011, 11:24:05 AM »
I've actually compared my X to my buddy's EVO on 4g in KC and saw almost zero difference in speed...........actually my X was faster in some instances. 

pffftttt

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: January 13, 2011, 12:32:46 PM »
Is LTE even launching in KC?  If so, when? I know Verizon doesn't have any current 4G phones available and neither of the ones you mentioned are 4g anyway.  Plus, as clams mentioned, verizon will cost more for their data plans.  The only benefit to verizon that I can see is that the iphone seems more elite.  I would definitely not go with verizon and a droid given the cost differences and no current 4g.

No official date yet for KC.  Probably looking like end of this year beginning of next year which sucks.  Wichita is getting it soon though!!!!!   :emawkid:

I've actually compared my X to my buddy's EVO on 4g in KC and saw almost zero difference in speed...........actually my X was faster in some instances.  The Motorola Bionic (2 separate 1Ghz processors  :drool:) is due in stores February 17th.  That will be the first 4g handset to hit Verizon stores with the Thunderbolt and some others close behind. 

In tablet news........the Motorola Xoom??  Holy mother of wooldridge this thing is going to be elite.  10 inch screen, 4g, honeycomb, front and back facing cameras, hdmi out.......... :runaway:

i get 5-6 down, 1 up in kc on 4g.  you must have super evdo to beat that

Offline pufiZzle

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: January 13, 2011, 01:36:06 PM »

I upgraded my service to SUPER!!!  evdo recently.  Pretty increds  :gocho:

Offline bonercat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: January 13, 2011, 01:41:07 PM »
clams- the eff is this? http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/12/sprint-promises-industry-first-at-february-7th-event/
i was surprised to read that on engadget this morning as anyone.  i don't think it's a hardware thing, my guess- and this is only a guess, is that it's a new plan or policy shift.  also could be a network related announcement.  i really have no idea

Rumblings of the first 3D phone or tablet coming to Sprint. And by rumblings, I mean pure speculation
[

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: January 13, 2011, 01:44:59 PM »
I can't wait for 3D stuff to go away. 

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: January 13, 2011, 02:25:59 PM »
it's actually a lot cooler than i thought it would be.  playing Gran Turismo 5 in 3D is really a lot of fun.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: January 13, 2011, 02:26:50 PM »
also, it's not going away.  someone decided that we need 3d and it's going to be here to stay.  should see glassesless 3d showing up next year in the consumer electronic space at least, that will be better.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: January 13, 2011, 02:47:08 PM »
also, it's not going away.  someone decided that we need 3d and it's going to be here to stay.  should see glassesless 3d showing up next year in the consumer electronic space at least, that will be better.

heard that sales of 3D tvs were awful over the holiday season.  I mean, they had tons of 3d in the 80s and it went away then.  I'm hopeful it goes away again....though glassesless intrigues me

Offline pufiZzle

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #765 on: January 13, 2011, 03:44:51 PM »
glassesless is hard to say.  that is all.

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: January 13, 2011, 03:56:40 PM »
I'm not completely sold on that actually being a word.

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: January 13, 2011, 06:58:48 PM »

I second this motion, I compared 4G and Road Runner on different speed test and it's super close. 5.22 down 1.07 up is the most I've got so far into this early experiment. Hands down no possible way a 3G network is pulling that weight.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: January 13, 2011, 07:07:10 PM »
It's been around six months since I got my touch screen.  Don't like it as much.  I make more mistakes while typing and my thumbs can only move about 70-80% as fast as they can with a keyboard (mainly because I'm trying not to make mistakes).  Don't tell me about Skype because I'm already fast.  I just want to be super, blazin', teenage girl fast.  I'm also not crazy about Android.  Too limiting.  Reminds me of Apple.  For example, why the eff can't you copy text from Gmail? 

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: January 13, 2011, 07:10:30 PM »
I can't effing believe that they don't have copy paste.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: January 13, 2011, 07:22:22 PM »

thanks for chiming in gramps

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: January 13, 2011, 08:31:48 PM »
It's been around six months since I got my touch screen.  Don't like it as much.  I make more mistakes while typing and my thumbs can only move about 70-80% as fast as they can with a keyboard (mainly because I'm trying not to make mistakes).  Don't tell me about Skype because I'm already fast.  I just want to be super, blazin', teenage girl fast.  I'm also not crazy about Android.  Too limiting.  Reminds me of Apple.  For example, why the eff can't you copy text from Gmail? 

You can copy text from gmail. It's just cumbersome. Menu-more-select text.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: January 13, 2011, 09:30:28 PM »

I think I would have been able to figure that out.  And I also don't think that sounds cumbersome.  I don't know what you have, but I looked into the issue and read that the standard Gmail app does not facilitate copying.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: January 13, 2011, 10:47:28 PM »

I think I would have been able to figure that out.  And I also don't think that sounds cumbersome.  I don't know what you have, but I looked into the issue and read that the standard Gmail app does not facilitate copying.

I have version 2.3.2 on my Evo. Right there. Plain as day.

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: January 13, 2011, 10:58:37 PM »
chum1 sound like an idiot when it comes to phones