Author Topic: Cell Phone Insiders  (Read 538706 times)

Online kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
Re: Cell Phone Insiders
« Reply #525 on: August 27, 2010, 07:58:01 PM »
Fennec alpha build is out.  May give it a whirl.  Wish google would just release chrome for phone already.

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/m/alpha

Is it good?

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: August 27, 2010, 08:43:10 PM »
Was thinking about going to Verizon to get a fancy phone finally but saw in my last bill that Verizon 4G will be out soon.  Does that mean that current selections will be shitty soon?

for trimreaper-
http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/27/mysterious-verizon-bound-htc-handset-appears-mysteriously-on-the/#disqus_thread

i bet it's their first 4G handset but it's just a guess

I'm thinking of getting a droid 2.  Seems not too gigantic, has keyboard and most of the stuff they all have.  Dumb?  :dunno:

Offline SwiftCat

• #LIFE
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Depth Charge
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: August 27, 2010, 09:01:21 PM »
Was thinking about going to Verizon to get a fancy phone finally but saw in my last bill that Verizon 4G will be out soon.  Does that mean that current selections will be shitty soon?

for trimreaper-
http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/27/mysterious-verizon-bound-htc-handset-appears-mysteriously-on-the/#disqus_thread

i bet it's their first 4G handset but it's just a guess

I'm thinking of getting a droid 2.  Seems not too gigantic, has keyboard and most of the stuff they all have.  Dumb?  :dunno:

Droid 2 is a good phone. It's not as powerful as the Droid X, but if you want a keyboard and want to be on Verizon, this is a good choice.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: August 27, 2010, 10:48:07 PM »
Almost everyone I know who has a droid hasn't pulled the keyboard out in the last 80% of the time they've owned it.  This includes sddad who's 50 and the keyboard was his sticking point.  I think a keyboard is just extra bulk.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: August 27, 2010, 10:51:25 PM »
Fennec alpha build is out.  May give it a whirl.  Wish google would just release chrome for phone already.

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/m/alpha

Is it good?

It's a buggy POS that's def. in alpha.  Used for about 5 minutes and then told it to GTFOOMF until at least beta.  Also, good news on the keyboard front, figured out that when I downloaded and installed swype beta but then deleted it because I didn't want to eff with it I can still install and run it again because I registered beta.  So, will be giving it round 2 this weekend. 

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: August 27, 2010, 10:56:55 PM »
Should have my EVO tomorrow  :pbj:

Offline O-town Kat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: August 28, 2010, 10:44:13 AM »
 Chicat, that plan work or no

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: August 28, 2010, 12:05:13 PM »

Not for the EVO.  Sprint store people were not having it.  :dunno: I appreciate the offer tho.  I found out my work has a discount thingie set up that is getting me a slight discount

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: August 28, 2010, 06:05:41 PM »
It's not as powerful as the Droid X,

Does not as powerful by any chance also mean the battery will last longer?  I'd be good with that trade-off.

I think a keyboard is just extra bulk.

Bulk as in weight?  Don't care about that, so long as it's not prohibitively more difficult to fit in my pocket compared to my sweet razr.

Online kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: August 29, 2010, 01:27:20 PM »
Two days until Epic 4g.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: August 29, 2010, 07:50:38 PM »

Not for the EVO.  Sprint store people were not having it.  :dunno: I appreciate the offer tho.  I found out my work has a discount thingie set up that is getting me a slight discount

Check to see if Sprint will buy your phone.  I sold them my Pre, it was all scratched and cracked up, and hey don't even sell the Pre anymore.

Online kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: August 29, 2010, 08:31:54 PM »

Check to see if Sprint will buy your phone.  I sold them my Pre, it was all scratched and cracked up, and hey don't even sell the Pre anymore.

How much did they buy your pre for?

Offline RonLongshaft

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: August 29, 2010, 08:34:49 PM »
Two days until Epic 4g.

im kinda a dumbass so sorry if this is a stupid question but does this mean that my droid 2 i just got a week ago is already out of date?

Online kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: August 29, 2010, 08:44:31 PM »
Two days until Epic 4g.

im kinda a dumbass so sorry if this is a stupid question but does this mean that my droid 2 i just got a week ago is already out of date?

No, the Epic is for Sprint.  But the HTC Verizon phone that was just leaked will make your droid 2 out of date.

Offline O-town Kat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: August 29, 2010, 10:25:05 PM »

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #540 on: August 30, 2010, 01:01:29 AM »

$40, pretty good for a discontinued phone that was cracked and scratched up.  It was oreoing pretty badly & the power button didn't even work anymore.  The dumbass sales man tried to tell me that I could sell it for $200 on ebay, I asked him if his eyes worked, he thought I was joking.  I had to interact with this bad person for oven an hour and I can't even begin to tell you the stupid things he did and said.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: August 30, 2010, 01:16:42 AM »
I had to interact with this bad person for oven an hour and I can't even begin to tell you the stupid things he did and said.

This is a giant part of why I don't want to get a new phone. 

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: August 30, 2010, 01:32:57 AM »
I had to interact with this bad person for oven an hour and I can't even begin to tell you the stupid things he did and said.

Really wanted to buy the Evo online but they have been sold out online for weeks.  Not sure why they don't have them on Sprint.com, but most stores do :dunno:  My luck with Sprint salesmen are usually elite.  The last two times, I have run into two meth heads selling phones here on the west side.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: August 30, 2010, 01:39:07 AM »

Really wanted to buy the Evo online but they have been sold out online for weeks.  Not sure why they don't have them on Sprint.com, but most stores do :dunno:  My luck with Sprint salesmen are usually elite.  The last two times, I have run into two meth heads selling phones here on the west side.

Juggalos?  :surprised:

This may surprise you, but I don't have a whole lot of patience dealing with alltel/verizon GED types.  I'd be surprised if the goofs working at other carriers are much different.

Online kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: August 30, 2010, 08:44:12 AM »

$40, pretty good for a discontinued phone that was cracked and scratched up.  It was oreoing pretty badly & the power button didn't even work anymore.  The dumbass sales man tried to tell me that I could sell it for $200 on ebay, I asked him if his eyes worked, he thought I was joking.  I had to interact with this bad person for oven an hour and I can't even begin to tell you the stupid things he did and said.

I just broke the power standby/power button on my pre like a week and a half ago, took it in to sprint, they are replacing it (under the insurance) for free.  I'm going to pick it up tonight, get my Epic tomorrow, then sell my Pre on craigslist for like 150.00.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: August 30, 2010, 10:06:43 AM »
I think I'm going to try to get this done tomorrow.  I'll be traveling a bit in the next few weeks and I'd have Labor Day to figure out how the thing works. 

So, assuming they have a Droid 2 in stock, there's nothing that's going to come out anytime soon that's going to make a guy that's been happily rolling with a standard flip phone for the last 5 years be pissed that he's stuck with the droid 2 for 1.5 - 2 years, right?

Basically, I just need to be able to adequately message board with the thing in the car.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: August 30, 2010, 11:14:09 AM »
I think I'm going to try to get this done tomorrow.  I'll be traveling a bit in the next few weeks and I'd have Labor Day to figure out how the thing works. 

So, assuming they have a Droid 2 in stock, there's nothing that's going to come out anytime soon that's going to make a guy that's been happily rolling with a standard flip phone for the last 5 years be pissed that he's stuck with the droid 2 for 1.5 - 2 years, right?

Basically, I just need to be able to adequately message board with the thing in the car.

yep, I do a lot of message boarding behind the wheel.  It'll be fine for your needs.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: August 30, 2010, 11:16:02 AM »

yep, I do a lot of message boarding behind the wheel.  It'll be fine for your needs.

:driving: but with using knee to steer.

Offline dmartin

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: August 30, 2010, 11:27:35 AM »

just downloaded a beta app that lets you steer your car with your android phone.  now you can text and drive safely. also uses the camera to display what's ahead of you in the background of your texting..

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: August 30, 2010, 12:03:21 PM »

DontTextAndDriveLogoMakingCat (I'm assuming this was his name) would not be impressed