Author Topic: Cell Phone Insiders  (Read 538676 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: Cell Phone Insiders
« Reply #375 on: August 09, 2010, 11:23:29 AM »
The flash light is very bright.

It's amazing.  I have a monster mag light at my house that my phone now pwns. 

Does the "improved browser performance" only apply to the delivered browser or does it also apply to Dolphin...'cause I've just been using Dolphin.

I think it's just improved flash integration which is not browser specific.  I've noticed that my apps seem to be "snappier" too but that may be placebo. 

Offline bakerman

• Big Salt Spokesperson
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: August 11, 2010, 03:16:36 PM »
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/08/11/online_dating_service_finds_iphone_owners_have_more_sex_partners.html

too bad for all you that got suckered into buying the EVO, like 4G is really what matters....   :lol: :lol:

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: August 11, 2010, 05:31:56 PM »
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/08/11/online_dating_service_finds_iphone_owners_have_more_sex_partners.html

too bad for all you that got suckered into buying the EVO, like 4G is really what matters....   :lol: :lol:

Evo owners are sleeping with the 9's and 10's.  Iphone owners are sleeping with the 1-6's.  Blackberry owners get the 7's and 8's.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: August 12, 2010, 12:19:38 AM »
Have been scared to post in this thread since 'clams PIed the crap out of me.

Pete, how do you feel about the EVO right now compared to the Pre?  How reliable is it?  How practical is it?  I went to Sprint today and the salesman had horrible breath and didn't know what the hell he was talking about.  I had my Pre in my hand while looking at the EVO and the dipshit kept comparing Android to Windows Mobile.  I need a comparo from someone who has had both.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: August 12, 2010, 08:12:28 AM »

Pete, how do you feel about the EVO right now compared to the Pre?  How reliable is it?  How practical is it?  I went to Sprint today and the salesman had horrible breath and didn't know what the hell he was talking about.  I had my Pre in my hand while looking at the EVO and the dipshit kept comparing Android to Windows Mobile.  I need a comparo from someone who has had both.
damn i forgot about that PI.  wasn't really a good PI but it was a PI.  sorry MIR for the webOS PI, glad you bounced back strong from it.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline O-town Kat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: August 12, 2010, 09:14:15 AM »
Samsung epic launches aug 31, can reserve as of tomorrow

Offline hillwalking03

• Point Plank'r
  • Fan
  • Worst Non-KSU grad school KU poster on goEMAW.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: August 12, 2010, 09:24:29 AM »
Samsung epic launches aug 31, can reserve as of tomorrow

Already reserved mine.  Use this link to reserve today 

https://sprint.timetrade.com/tc/ReservePhone.do?method=load
Message Board Samurai

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: August 12, 2010, 10:14:43 AM »

FYI - Samsung Intercept Android is free right now if you don't want to waste money on stuff you don't really need.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: August 12, 2010, 10:26:03 AM »

I first got the Pre, because I had been a long time Treo user and the Treo was dying and the Pre seemed like an easy transition combined with some cool new features.  Once I got used to the Pre I found that I did use it to access the internet more than I thought I would.  I also used the navigation a fair bit, and the travel apps.  Also, I ended up using the Pre as a tether for my PC when I was on the road in airports and stuff.

However, I got really tired of the shitty app selection and tiny screen on the Pre, and I really did want more convergence with media stuff on my phone (use it to watch movies, music, etc).  I have found it to be really reliable...the 4G is freaking fast as hell if you are in a coverage area.  All the same stuff that I used to rely on with my Pre works just as well on the EVO, but the "fun" stuff is way better....it still has the Sprint navie and all that.  I am finding that I am using it more and more for stuff that I wouldn't have done with my Pre...the app universe on Android is enormous.  I don't mind that it's a bigger phone to haul around, but that is something to think about.    I don't type much on it, mostly just quick responses to emails or texts, but the lack of physical keyboard is something to consider.....if that's a big deal for you then you may want to wait for that Samsung to launch.

All in all, I am really happy with it.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: August 12, 2010, 12:44:59 PM »
For EVO owners, here is an app that will play AVI and other movie files that the default player will not play. 

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=3XX6PZKH

Offline Christer

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: August 12, 2010, 02:19:48 PM »
Two new features announced today for 2.2 users.

http://googlemobile.blogspot.com/2010/08/just-speak-it-introducing-voice-actions.html
(additional voice command functions like sending texts and playing a music file)

http://googlemobile.blogspot.com/2010/08/working-title-instantly-zap-links-maps.html
(the official Chrome to Phone app for those who use the Chrome browser.)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: August 12, 2010, 02:45:13 PM »

I first got the Pre, because I had been a long time Treo user and the Treo was dying and the Pre seemed like an easy transition combined with some cool new features.  Once I got used to the Pre I found that I did use it to access the internet more than I thought I would.  I also used the navigation a fair bit, and the travel apps.  Also, I ended up using the Pre as a tether for my PC when I was on the road in airports and stuff.

However, I got really tired of the shitty app selection and tiny screen on the Pre, and I really did want more convergence with media stuff on my phone (use it to watch movies, music, etc).  I have found it to be really reliable...the 4G is freaking fast as hell if you are in a coverage area.  All the same stuff that I used to rely on with my Pre works just as well on the EVO, but the "fun" stuff is way better....it still has the Sprint navie and all that.  I am finding that I am using it more and more for stuff that I wouldn't have done with my Pre...the app universe on Android is enormous.  I don't mind that it's a bigger phone to haul around, but that is something to think about.    I don't type much on it, mostly just quick responses to emails or texts, but the lack of physical keyboard is something to consider.....if that's a big deal for you then you may want to wait for that Samsung to launch.

Thanks, I have had a Palm phone of some sorts for 5 years, the last non Palm I had was a Razr.  I was a bit hesitant to get the EVO because it was not a Palm, it doesn't have a dedicated keyboard, and the shitty extra $120 a year just to have it.  I am so sick of the garbage hardware for the Pre.  I have had my original Pre for over a year without even having to take it in to Palm, including one time when I dropped it 20 feet screen first onto concrete.  The constant freeze-ups really piss me off.  You and SD have convinced me that I will just have to get used to not having a keyboard and will have to tolerate the extra $10 a month.  Even though I don't think I'm eligible for the full refund (2 years :dunno:) I'm going to get the EVO.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: August 12, 2010, 02:46:38 PM »
You won't mind not having a keyboard imo.  Typing is really easy. 

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: August 12, 2010, 03:18:55 PM »

Thanks, I have had a Palm phone of some sorts for 5 years, the last non Palm I had was a Razr.  I was a bit hesitant to get the EVO because it was not a Palm, it doesn't have a dedicated keyboard, and the shitty extra $120 a year just to have it.  I am so sick of the garbage hardware for the Pre.  I have had my original Pre for over a year without even having to take it in to Palm, including one time when I dropped it 20 feet screen first onto concrete.  The constant freeze-ups really piss me off.  You and SD have convinced me that I will just have to get used to not having a keyboard and will have to tolerate the extra $10 a month.  Even though I don't think I'm eligible for the full refund (2 years :dunno:) I'm going to get the EVO.
Are you on the Simply Everything plan? 

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: August 12, 2010, 03:20:34 PM »
Quote from: steve dave had he typed this on his EVO
Yw wontmnd nut having a kybeard imo.  Tipeing s rally eazy  

:peek:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: August 12, 2010, 03:30:41 PM »

auto spell check  :gocho:  But, it will change all your cuss words to regular words until it learns them all and it'll look stupid  :frown:

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: August 12, 2010, 04:17:30 PM »

auto spell check  :gocho:  But, it will change all your cuss words to regular words until it learns them all and it'll look stupid  :frown:

First thing I did was turn that word prediction crap off.  I hated it.  Just plain old typing for me, thank you.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: August 12, 2010, 06:55:30 PM »

First thing I did was turn that word prediction crap off.  I hated it.  Just plain old typing for me, thank you.

well, that explains a lot of your texts to me I guess

Offline Farley Grudge

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: August 12, 2010, 09:07:05 PM »
FWIW.  I got the EVO and hated it.  Couldn't type on it, the battery life sucked compared to my BB.  I took it back and went back to my BB.  The people at the store gave me some crap but finally just accepted that I didn't like the phone.  Then the hate for my BB came back.  Constant track ball problems, no apps worth a damn etc.  My wife insisted that I go back to the EVO and this time around I love the damn thing.  I can type on it.  I figured out how to make the battery last longer by turning off WiFi & 4g & for some reason typing is even easier for me now.  The phone is great.  I bought in and I love it.  Give me another cup of kool aide I guess.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: August 12, 2010, 09:40:13 PM »
it's a big change from a BB, i have a tour right now and when i do switch it will be an adjustment.  but i'm looking forward to it b/c i hate being so connected to work like i am with my bb

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: August 12, 2010, 10:28:05 PM »

You could wait for the Epic as well.  I am willing to bet that the epic is better than he EVO.  Unless you REALLY REALLY want a bigger screen (and a kick-stand)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: August 12, 2010, 10:48:50 PM »

Yep and I use the crap out of it.  Last month I had over 10,000 texts and my data usage was over 2.6 million

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: August 12, 2010, 10:59:30 PM »

You could wait for the Epic as well.  I am willing to bet that the epic is better than he EVO.  Unless you REALLY REALLY want a bigger screen (and a kick-stand)

After my Pre experience I will no longer be getting a phone at launch and I really don't want to wait for the Epic, it looks pretty tempting but I will no longer buy a phone without talking to someone who has had the phone for an extended period of time.  I'm also thrilled that I found out that I am eligible for the full rebate after having the Pre for just over a year, meanwhile my wife has the shitty Kitana (trim like phone) and she has to wait the entire two years for her full rebate.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: August 12, 2010, 11:05:21 PM »
meanwhile my wife has the shitty Kitana (trim like phone)

:love:

Me and JW are totally talking old-school cell phones with her Saturday night.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: August 13, 2010, 07:13:02 AM »

Yep and I use the crap out of it.  Last month I had over 10,000 texts and my data usage was over 2.6 million
then you should be classified as a "premier" customer and are allowed yearly upgrades as opposed to having to wait 2 years.  everyone on a plan > $99 is.