Author Topic: 2020 General Election Thread  (Read 133165 times)

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
Re: 2020 General Election Thread
« Reply #1125 on: October 11, 2020, 02:12:25 PM »
What is the question? Why do you think that is the only impactful thing to vote for?

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: October 11, 2020, 02:12:56 PM »
Is this an abortion thing? Jfc people.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: October 11, 2020, 02:34:11 PM »

No. I support Roe, Casey, Whole Women's Health, etc. I don't believe the Court would overturn all of that even with ACB confirmed. Even though Pete was my guy, I did not like him floating the idea of court packing out there cavalierly. And I do not like all the loose talk about court packing that people have been throwing out there without even a hint of the repercussions that it could have on our institutions. "But it was the Republicans who previously ....!" Yeah, ok, let's stop the bleeding. You all can get your damn grubby paws off my judicial branch, the only one left with even a modicum of integrity. 

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: October 11, 2020, 02:43:40 PM »
No. I support Roe, Casey, Whole Women's Health, etc. I don't believe the Court would overturn all of that even with ACB confirmed. Even though Pete was my guy, I did not like him floating the idea of court packing out there cavalierly. And I do not like all the loose talk about court packing that people have been throwing out there without even a hint of the repercussions that it could have on our institutions. "But it was the Republicans who previously ....!" Yeah, ok, let's stop the bleeding. You all can get your damn grubby paws off my judicial branch, the only one left with even a modicum of integrity.

sounds like a biden-cornyn voter to me.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: October 11, 2020, 02:48:08 PM »

Bush v Gore and you are really gonna sit there and act like the judicial branch isn’t already a joke?

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: October 11, 2020, 02:48:56 PM »

So are you an original 6 justice guy? Did you like it better at 7 or 10? Or is 9 just a perfect number?
:adios:

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: October 11, 2020, 02:49:58 PM »
The Supreme Court is a bunch of rough ridin' hacks. Sorry bud, no institutions any more. That‘a already gone.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: October 11, 2020, 02:56:29 PM »
Already alot of action, but just curious Spracs where do you see your Senator's role in this (past few years and the next month or so).

That one's easy, because it's actually spelled out in the Constitution.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: October 11, 2020, 02:57:16 PM »
The Supreme Court is a bunch of rough ridin' hacks.

You and I obviously disagree on that.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: October 11, 2020, 03:00:37 PM »

So are you an original 6 justice guy? Did you like it better at 7 or 10? Or is 9 just a perfect number?

Nine seems to be a good number. It's been that way for a long time. I think it was a bad idea when President Franklin Roosevelt tried to pack the court.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: October 11, 2020, 03:23:44 PM »
Would it take a simple majority in the senate to pass legislation to add justices?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: October 11, 2020, 03:28:23 PM »
Already alot of action, but just curious Spracs where do you see your Senator's role in this (past few years and the next month or so).

That one's easy, because it's actually spelled out in the Constitution.

I meant on treating appointments to the judicial branch as political and to be done on ideological terms. Do you believe they do this and do you support it.

It says the President shall nominate, and the Senate shall provide advice and consent. If you're referring to Merrick Garland, no I do not support that obvious assfuckery.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #1137 on: October 11, 2020, 03:30:50 PM »
I think it's inevitable that Roe and Obergefell (among a lot more "liberal" decisions) will be overturned very soon.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: October 11, 2020, 03:34:44 PM »
I think it's inevitable that Roe and Obergefell (among a lot more "liberal" decisions) will be overturned very soon.

And I simply do not think that. In fact, I find the suggestion silly.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #1139 on: October 11, 2020, 03:38:55 PM »
I guess we'll see. 

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1140 on: October 11, 2020, 03:41:52 PM »

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: October 11, 2020, 03:47:45 PM »
I think the threat to pack the court will keep Roe from being overturned. The court won't get packed unless something crazy like that happens. The public would likely support packing the court at that point.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #1142 on: October 11, 2020, 03:51:29 PM »
To be clear, I think court packing is a bad idea.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: October 11, 2020, 03:54:33 PM »
I think overturning Roe is a bad idea.
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: October 11, 2020, 04:03:16 PM »
i'm with spracs, i don't think either of those will be overturned, even with acb.  they'd need to replace a few more conservative justices first.

i don't think gay marriage is at all threatened.  it would be disastrous for the gop, i think for the most part they have taken the L and moved on.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: October 11, 2020, 04:05:38 PM »
i'm with spracs, i don't think either of those will be overturned, even with acb.  they'd need to replace a few more conservative justices first.

i don't think gay marriage is at all threatened.  it would be disastrous for the gop, i think for the most part they have taken the L and moved on.

Yeah, I haven't really heard any clamoring for overturning Obergefell. That one caught me off guard.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: October 11, 2020, 04:08:47 PM »

i agree with spracs and star seed on this one, and in doing so disagree with spracs that the supreme court is not essentially a political body.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: October 11, 2020, 04:14:09 PM »
The idea that the Supreme Court is not just naked politics is something pushed by lawyers and politics nerds to confuse the rest of the public in to taking it seriously so that politicians can exercise more unaccountable power over the public. I don’t know if spracs is dumb enough to buy it or if he is just trying to play the same game.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: October 11, 2020, 05:07:03 PM »
The idea that the Supreme Court is not just naked politics is something pushed by lawyers and politics nerds to confuse the rest of the public in to taking it seriously so that politicians can exercise more unaccountable power over the public. I don’t know if spracs is dumb enough to buy it or if he is just trying to play the same game.

Yeah, I disagree. Yes, judges and justices are human beings living in society, and so they have their own faults and biases like the rest of us. The "everything is naked political power" mantra is too cynical for me, and I consider it a facile explanation that does not comport with the complexities of reality. No doubt there have been judicial appointees who were reliable arbiters for the parties that elevated them, but to a far lesser degree than the other two branches of government. And yes, we do have politicians who meddle with the courts and treat them as their own personal sandbox for promoting political agendas.

I think it is an insult to the great majority of judges, however, to paint them as mere political actors (federal judges, that is). We have only three branches of our national government, and only one was structurally designed to minimize political interference with its decisions. That was a good idea in 1791, it's a good idea now, and I will always root for and promote the independence of the judicial department. Indeed, when the political branches of government fail to act for generations, and when the collective action problem becomes so intractable that the machinery of democracy breaks down, sometimes you need the third branch of government to grease the zerks, so to speak. Lifetime appointments are the structural component that allows that to happen.

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: October 11, 2020, 05:38:27 PM »
Point, KK.