Author Topic: Anybody heard about this Rolling Stone UVA rape story controversy?  (Read 15179 times)

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
Re: Anybody heard about this Rolling Stone UVA rape story controversy?
« Reply #75 on: April 07, 2015, 11:38:35 AM »
FRATERNITIES ARE A BREEDING GROUND FOR MONSTERS!!!1!!1!!!!!!

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 07, 2015, 12:57:30 PM »
If I were the fraternity, I'd refuse any settlement offer and just try to get it to a jury. I'd then split the proceeds, after legal fees, 50/50 between a rape prevention/assistance charity and a foundation for a professor of ethics and integrity in journalism. eff Rolling Stone. I hope this bankrupts them.

interesting strategy

He doesnt even frat dog bro
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 07, 2015, 01:01:46 PM »
Do you think the fraternity gives two shits about rape prevention?

Uh yeah. The two things fraternities care way more about than any other issue are (1) binge drinking/hazing death and (2) rape (real or alleged). Allowing women, alcohol, and worst - women and alcohol - in the fraternity house are liability nightmares.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #78 on: April 07, 2015, 02:29:20 PM »
Considering it's existence depends upon it, yes, it's probably pretty important.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 07, 2015, 03:04:25 PM »
The depos in this lawsuit are going to be awesome

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 07, 2015, 05:41:59 PM »

Uh yeah. The two things fraternities care way more about than any other issue are (1) binge drinking/hazing death and (2) rape (real or alleged). Allowing women, alcohol, and worst - women and alcohol - in the fraternity house are liability nightmares.

Maybe the "leadership", but your average frat brah doesn't care at all about that and actively works towards those things
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 07, 2015, 09:29:02 PM »
Your average frat brah

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 07, 2015, 09:31:28 PM »
Bigot

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 08, 2015, 09:40:49 AM »

Maybe the "leadership", but your average frat brah doesn't care at all about that and actively works towards those things

:horrorsurprise:  do you need to come forward about something?
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 08, 2015, 09:53:21 AM »
Bigot

The vast majority of us were in frats and the cool ones at that, not majorly dorky ones.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 08, 2015, 11:12:57 AM »
i'm a little confused about who is going to have their reputation tarnished by this forever.  did the story use actual names of individuals? 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 08, 2015, 11:15:46 AM »

You can't possibly believe this

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 08, 2015, 11:23:08 AM »
i'm a little confused about who is going to have their reputation tarnished by this forever.  did the story use actual names of individuals?

The girl asked the Rolling Stone not to contact any of the fraternity bros or house, which should have put an end to the story. She only identified one guy as "Drew", and it turns out he isn't even a member of the frat.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 08, 2015, 11:41:39 AM »

It's like, the only 2 risk management things they do. It's important. Plus, nobody wants to be the "rape house" on campus. Might as well be the "AIDS house"

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 08, 2015, 11:42:27 AM »
Bigot

The vast majority of us were in frats and the cool ones at that, not majorly dorky ones.

lol, wut? Ok

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 08, 2015, 12:30:57 PM »

It's like, the only 2 risk management things they do. It's important. Plus, nobody wants to be the "rape house" on campus. Might as well be the "AIDS house"

Yeah, they are concerned with being found out, not with stopping those activities
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 08, 2015, 12:49:19 PM »

Yeah, they are concerned with being found out, not with stopping those activities

Ok. Started off as a good troll, but now it's just getting dumb.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 08, 2015, 12:50:57 PM »
i just like to check in on this thread every once in awhile to see who has been added to FSD's rapin' list

any updates?

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 08, 2015, 12:51:21 PM »

I beleive it because I know it for fact, at least with respect to my fraternity.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 08, 2015, 12:58:56 PM »
I can honestly say, in my fraternity, rape prevention was never on one of our meeting agendas. 

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 08, 2015, 01:02:34 PM »
I bet this fraternity has "the talk" at least once per week on the dangers of mixing women with alcohol.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/23/texas-tech-no-means-yes-fraternity-phi-delt_n_5865606.html

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 08, 2015, 01:18:37 PM »
I can honestly say, in my fraternity, rape prevention was never on one of our meeting agendas.

Honestly? In-house risk management can be good to extremely poor depending upon the chapter. It was pretty good at ours at KSU - which, by the way, has a relatively well-managed and tame Greek system. These are 18-22yo males with often far too-little supervision. And college women also seem to be getting dumber and putting themselves in riskier situations when it comes to parties, dress, drugs, and alcohol. It terrifies the general fraternities. They're constantly trying to recruit alums to come in and provide guidance - especially risk management. Women and alcohol are literally lawsuits waiting to happen.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 08, 2015, 02:50:35 PM »

I beleive it because I know it for fact, at least with respect to my fraternity.

If these were legitimately the top two fraternity priorities, they would not throw giant parties that create the perfect storm for these things to occur.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 08, 2015, 03:47:14 PM »

Honestly? In-house risk management can be good to extremely poor depending upon the chapter. It was pretty good at ours at KSU - which, by the way, has a relatively well-managed and tame Greek system. These are 18-22yo males with often far too-little supervision. And college women also seem to be getting dumber and putting themselves in riskier situations when it comes to parties, dress, drugs, and alcohol. It terrifies the general fraternities. They're constantly trying to recruit alums to come in and provide guidance - especially risk management. Women and alcohol are literally lawsuits waiting to happen.

:sdeek:

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 08, 2015, 04:10:17 PM »

:sdeek:

I know that's not a PC thing to say, but it is true. Don't be a PCtard. That doesn't mean scantily-dressed women deserve to be assaulted, and it doesn't reduce the culpability of the men involved, but it's still a stupid thing to do. Women are engaging in riskier behavior and it's a serious liability problem. National fraternities are clamping down more and more, as they should. I would bet you that most fraternities outlaw house parties within the next decade. Parties will be held at more easily monitored public venues, just like a number of fraternities already do now.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 04:20:08 PM by K-S-U-Wildcats! »