Author Topic: Memorial Stadium in Lawrence blows  (Read 173265 times)

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
Re: Memorial Stadium in Lawrence blows
« Reply #1100 on: August 05, 2013, 11:57:22 AM »
I know it's Bleacher Report's stadium rankings, but:

KSU  35  :love:

Memorial  98    :embarrassed:

Offline ManBearTurkey

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: August 06, 2013, 01:05:30 PM »
What stadiums are left with a track now? KU and Emporia State?

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: August 06, 2013, 01:40:46 PM »
Taking the track out doesn't really fix the small timeyness of it.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Mashing 'taters like an Old Country Buffet
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: August 06, 2013, 01:45:05 PM »
A black Harley track would really make it big time, imo.

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: August 06, 2013, 01:45:29 PM »
posting again because ultimately this is what will happen. still seems incredibly small timey

Offline EMawtin

• Fan
  • I miss Dr. Wefald.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: August 06, 2013, 01:46:15 PM »

Ok - I'm an architectural moron...but how did they do that?  Completely re-do the lower bowl with more seating and/or a more gradual slope?

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: August 06, 2013, 01:46:54 PM »
A black Harley track would really make it big time, imo.

It would be a start.  Its currently a joke

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: August 06, 2013, 01:56:02 PM »
posting again because ultimately this is what will happen. still seems incredibly small timey

I'm almost 100% sure that KU will add an additional set of suites to the East side of the stadium and spruce up the facade a little bit.  Zenger and BGL have done an amazing job with everything they've touched so far.  I couldn't be happier with the direction they're taking KU.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: August 06, 2013, 01:57:05 PM »

Ok - I'm an architectural moron...but how did they do that?  Completely re-do the lower bowl with more seating and/or a more gradual slope?

They tore everything down except for the upper level and roof on one side, did a complete rebuild of the lower bowl and other side levels/roof to be similar as before. Took awhile and I believe they played a season or 2 in the Seahawks stadium while the construction was ongoing.

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: August 06, 2013, 01:57:05 PM »

I'm almost 100% sure that KU will add an additional set of suites to the East side of the stadium and spruce up the facade a little bit.  Zenger and BGL have done an amazing job with everything they've touched so far.  I couldn't be happier with the direction they're taking KU.

which direction is that? only thing i know that has happened so far is a crap ton of shredded paper

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1110 on: August 06, 2013, 01:58:14 PM »

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: August 06, 2013, 02:05:02 PM »

They tore everything down except for the upper level and roof on one side, did a complete rebuild of the lower bowl and other side levels/roof to be similar as before. Took awhile and I believe they played a season or 2 in the Seahawks stadium while the construction was ongoing.

this

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: August 06, 2013, 02:10:15 PM »

which direction is that? only thing i know that has happened so far is a crap ton of shredded paper

The direction is up.  Way up.  Under BGL's watch, KU has increased admission standards well above any other university in the state, and is currently in the middle of a $1.2 billion "Far Above" fundraising campaign ($612 million had already been pledged by the time they announced the campaign).  New business and engineering buildings are currently being constructed, and the campus is also going to add a canopy of elm trees down Jayhawk Boulevard.  The med center continues to expand and add new medical facilities as well.

As for athletics, KU hoops continues its best run in school history.  Bill Self is arguably the best coach in college basketball and just continues to dominate.  KU also added a national title last year in track and field, and is currently building a multi-million dollar olympic sports complex.  The women's basketball team is coming off its second straight Sweet Sixteen appearance and has really improved over the past few years.  Aside from football (which is going to be improved next year as well), KU athletics has really been having quite a bit of success.  Once Weis gets his recruits, and the football stadium is finally renovated, KU is going to really have quite the setup.  By that time, Snyder will probably already be retired, Weber will have destroyed K-State's basketball program, and 'taters will go back to being irrelevant again.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 02:14:10 PM by OregonSmock »

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: August 06, 2013, 02:12:50 PM »

The direction is up.  Way up.  Under BGL's watch, KU has increased admission standards well above any other university in the state, and is currently in the middle of a $1.2 billion "Far Above" fundraising campaign ($612 million had already been pledged by the time they announced the campaign).  New business and engineering buildings are currently being constructed, and the campus is also going to add a canopy of elm trees down Jayhawk Boulevard. The med center continues to expand and add new medical facilities as well.

As for athletics, KU hoops continues its best run in school history.  Bill Self is arguably the best coach in college basketball and just continues to dominate.  KU also added a national title last year in track and field, and is currently building a multi-million dollar olympic sports complex.  The women's basketball team is coming off its second straight Sweet Sixteen appearance and has really improved over the past few years.  Aside from football (which is going to be improved next year as well), KU athletics has really been having quite a bit of success.  Once Weis gets his recruits, and the football stadium is finally renovated, KU is going to really have quite the setup.  By that time, Snyder will probably already be retired, Weber will have destroyed K-State's basketball program, and 'taters will go back to being irrelevant.

jesus. do they not care about the citizens of Lawrence?

PS - make sure they aren't piss elms.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline Trogdor

• Hoodcat
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: August 06, 2013, 02:13:51 PM »

The direction is up.  Way up.  Under BGL's watch, KU has increased admission standards well above any other university in the state, and is currently in the middle of a $1.2 billion "Far Above" fundraising campaign ($612 million had already been pledged by the time they announced the campaign).  New business and engineering buildings are currently being constructed, and the campus is also going to add a canopy of elm trees down Jayhawk Boulevard.  The med center continues to expand and add new medical facilities as well.

As for athletics, KU hoops continues its best run in school history.  Bill Self is arguably the best coach in college basketball and just continues to dominate.  KU also added a national title last year in track and field, and is currently building a multi-million dollar olympic sports complex.  The women's basketball team is coming off its second straight Sweet Sixteen appearance and has really improved over the past few years.  Aside from football (which is going to be improved next year as well), KU athletics has really been having quite a bit of success.  Once Weis gets his recruits, and the football stadium is finally renovated, KU is going to really have quite the setup.  By that time, Snyder will probably already be retired, Weber will have destroyed K-State's basketball program, and 'taters will go back to being irrelevant.

What exactly have they raised?
@Trogdor_gE

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: August 06, 2013, 02:16:03 PM »
BTW, Webber >>> Weis  :gocho:

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: August 06, 2013, 02:16:08 PM »

football (which is going to be improved next year as well), KU athletics has really been having quite a bit of success.  Once Weis gets his recruits, and the football stadium is finally renovated, KU is going to really have quite the setup. 
Do you see why we take opinions from ku fans on most matters with laughter and knee slapping? You completely dodged my question with some drawings and talk of women's track. Football is the only part we care about beems, the rest of that post is fodder and bullshit and we have seperate boards for that.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: August 06, 2013, 02:16:55 PM »
http://fox4kc.com/2012/06/20/regents-approve-tougher-admissions-standards-for-ku/

LAWRENCE, Kan. — Tougher admission requirements are coming to University of Kansas. The Kansas Board of Regents today voted to raise admission standards at K.U. higher than those at the state’s other public colleges. The change is designed to boost graduation rates at the state’s flagship university.

In four years when this takes effect, incoming freshmen will need at least a 3.0 GPA or “B” average in high school to automatically get into K.U.

“It certainly raises rigor and expectations,” said Mary Viveros, implementation coach at Kansas City, Kansas public schools. “But we know that’s what it takes. Making it any easier doesn’t really help in the long run.”

On the K.U. campus new students are getting familiar with college life as part of orientation month. Peer adviser Kyle Boge says some freshmen just aren’t ready for the transition.

“There’s a lot of questions about how tough will this class be,” said Boge, a sophomore from Olathe. “If I’m in this thousand person class how is that going to work out? But really you can, if you’re motivated you can get through it and transition,” he said.

More than 20 percent of K.U. freshmen drop out during their first year. Regents believe requiring at least a 3.0 grade point average and ACT score of 24 will help eliminate putting students in positions where they fail.

“I think improving the university starts with the freshman experience and maintaining students for all four years is something that’s good for us,” said Marcus Tetwiler, a K.U. student from Paola.

Right now, there is no grade point average requirement to get into any Kansas college. Being in the top third of your high school class with an ACT score of 21 is all it takes. In the Kansas City, Kansas School District, only about a quarter of the graduates score at least 21 on that college entrance exam.

“It really is not only GPA but ACT score that’s a pretty good indicator of how well kids will do in school,” Viveros explained. “We really aligned ourselves with those ACT standards and college readiness benchmarks. That will be important to ensure kids will have skills when they get there.”

Prospective students who don’t meet the tougher standards can still have their applications reviewed by a committee. Students say help has always been available for those who are struggling.

“There are students that aren’t interested in that,” said recent K.U. graduate Sarah Coughlan. “They’re here to socialize or think they can not show up for class and just take the test, that’s not a strategy that works.”

The regents also voted to raise tuition by 5.1 percent for undergraduates at K.U.
Tuition will increase by 5.5 percent at Kansas State University.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: August 06, 2013, 02:17:28 PM »
If there is one thing that has been proven about Weis it's that once he gets his recruits in that's when his program really takes off. 

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: August 06, 2013, 02:18:25 PM »
 The regents also voted to raise tuition by 5.1 percent for undergraduates at K.U.
Tuition will increase by 5.5 percent at Kansas State University.

:kstategrad:

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: August 06, 2013, 02:20:02 PM »
'taters

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: August 06, 2013, 02:22:23 PM »

As for athletics, KU hoops continues its best run in school history.  Bill Self is arguably the best coach in college basketball and just continues to dominate.  KU also added a national title last year in track and field, and is currently building a multi-million dollar olympic sports complex.  The women's basketball team is coming off its second straight Sweet Sixteen appearance and has really improved over the past few years.  Aside from football (which is going to be improved next year as well), KU athletics has really been having quite a bit of success.  Once Weis gets his recruits, and the football stadium is finally renovated, KU is going to really have quite the setup.  By that time, Snyder will probably already be retired, Weber will have destroyed K-State's basketball program, and 'taters will go back to being irrelevant again.
Your FB renovations aren't even in the works. Weis will be fired/retired by the time it even has a chance to start, with no money and lots of apathy I wouldn't get my hopes up.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: August 06, 2013, 02:22:53 PM »

football (which is going to be improved next year as well), KU athletics has really been having quite a bit of success.  Once Weis gets his recruits, and the football stadium is finally renovated, KU is going to really have quite the setup. 
Do you see why we take opinions from ku fans on most matters with laughter and knee slapping? You completely dodged my question with some drawings and talk of women's track. Football is the only part we care about beems, the rest of that post is fodder and bullshit and we have seperate boards for that.

I care about football too, and every indication is that KU will have an improved football team next year.  There's no sense in worrying about last year's pile of crap when we're about a month away from the upcoming season.  Anyone throwing the towel in on Weis after one year is an idiot.  Snyder went 1-10 in his first year at K-State.

:dunno:

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: August 06, 2013, 02:23:00 PM »
When Kansas University athletic director Sheahon Zenger someday decides to give Memorial Stadium a makeover, it won’t be at the request of new football coach Charlie Weis....

pretty much isnt happening for at least 5 years. and by that time ku could be in the MAC

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: August 06, 2013, 02:24:15 PM »
http://fox4kc.com/2012/06/20/regents-approve-tougher-admissions-standards-for-ku/
More than 20 percent of K.U. freshmen drop out during their first year. Regents believe requiring at least a 3.0 grade point average and ACT score of 24 will help eliminate putting students in positions where they fail.
All in efforts to solve a drop out problem.  :lol: :lol: :lol: