Author Topic: "Players ERA Festival" NIL Regular Season Event in Vegas  (Read 332 times)

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
"Players ERA Festival" NIL Regular Season Event in Vegas
« on: May 07, 2024, 07:01:23 PM »

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/nil-driven-las-vegas-college-basketball-event-with-millions-paid-to-schools-is-nearly-finalized/

Newly created elite event in Vegas that pays the teams each $1M and allegedly signs the players up for some sort of NIL money going forward.  Houston is in it, and Kansas is on the waiting list.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: "Players ERA Festival" NIL Regular Season Event in Vegas
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2024, 07:42:53 PM »
I keep thinking it's unsustainable but next year it will probably be a 2M per team tourney
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2024, 07:59:54 PM »
I don't need another reason to go back to Vegas  :shakesfist:
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2024, 11:17:57 AM »
I hate this for so many reasons. Giving student athletes the chance to capitalize off of their own name, image, and likenesses was something that we needed generations ago. Of course all of the greedy people around sports saw NIL legislation as not a chance to right a wrong, but to line their own pockets regardless of the long and short term damage done to college athletics.

Offline passranch

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2024, 03:09:34 PM »
Rutgers???

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2024, 09:27:03 AM »
I hate this for so many reasons. Giving student athletes the chance to capitalize off of their own name, image, and likenesses was something that we needed generations ago. Of course all of the greedy people around sports saw NIL legislation as not a chance to right a wrong, but to line their own pockets regardless of the long and short term damage done to college athletics.

not directly the same, but i'm v annoyed with on3 and I hope NIL changes in a way that puts all their damn NIL stuff out of a business.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2024, 09:43:23 AM »
RedBird IMI is an investment consortium majority funded by the United Arab Emirates. It is headed by former CNN CEO Jeff Zucker. FrontOffice Sports first reported on the event in March. An official announcement should land in the next 10 days, according to a source.

Broadcast rights are yet to be formally secured; the games are expected to be distributed on a streaming service instead of traditional linear television.
isn't this the LIV golf playbook ?  It's just Middle East oil money buying into an industry under the Player centric camouflage