Author Topic: K-State vs Auburn - Serious Game Discussion Thread (No Bullshit)  (Read 35771 times)

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: K-State vs Auburn - Serious Game Discussion Thread (No Bullshit)
« Reply #100 on: September 15, 2014, 01:48:46 PM »

2013: Pick up at LSU, where we scored 21 (8) and loss.  30 (46), 62, 45, 45, 35, 55, 43 (32), 34 (1), 59, 31 (2).  Those numbers in parentheses represent the final rank of the total defense for those teams.  KSU finished 45th.

Total Defense isn't a stat that K-State cares about.  The goal of a K-State defense is to make the team run as many plays as possible to get those yards, thus increasing the odds of a mistake.  If f K-State can force a team to run 15 plays it is more likely that team will turn it over, have a drive killing penalty, take a sack, or some other critical mistake than score a touchdown.  Keep as many plays to 5 yards or less and force a team to string them together.  Basically bend but don't break.

Offline sak

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 15, 2014, 01:50:15 PM »
Just to add fuel to the fire here, Auburn is 0-for its last 4 road OOC games.  The last win was in 1997 at Virginia.

Careful, brotha... You'll have your boy sak curled up in the fetal position if he sees this.  His need for our validation is legendary.

i don't really care. what i see is a bunch of delusional kansas state fans who think they have the horses to run with auburn.

you are the 8th best team on our schedule. maybe.

we are no worse than the 2nd best team on your schedule as you will soon find out.

GTFOH... Did you not see the part of the thread title that says "(No Bullshit)"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Alabama, Texas A&M, LSU, Ole Miss, Georgia, South Carolina, and Missouri would all be favored against Kansas State on a neutral field.

If Auburn ends up reaching the national title game, this could be the 11th best team Auburn faces!

Offline Bqqkie Pimp

• qoEMAW ambassador
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • qoEMAW's official representative to goEMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 15, 2014, 01:51:48 PM »
:blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah:
bears are fast...

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 15, 2014, 01:54:56 PM »

A quick search of http://stats.ncaa.org/rankings?sport_code=MFB&division=11 shows that K-State finished 26th in '13. (23rd so far this year)

It will be interesting whether HCBS decides he wants this game played in the 30's or 50's.  Either way, our offense vs your defense is a bigger mismatch than your offense vs our defense.

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/1042/p1 is what I looked at.  35th this season (Auburn is 46th http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/1042/p1)

Hrmmm... maybe I'm looking at 2012 stats, I'll dig in further soon.

Its much more beneficial to look at both yards per play and points per play for defensive strength because you get a much more accurate look based on the pace that teams like to play at, especially when comparing a team that likes to play slower like K-State.

http://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/opponent-points-per-play
http://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/opponent-yards-per-play

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 15, 2014, 01:55:28 PM »
Just to add fuel to the fire here, Auburn is 0-for its last 4 road OOC games.  The last win was in 1997 at Virginia.

Careful, brotha... You'll have your boy sak curled up in the fetal position if he sees this.  His need for our validation is legendary.

i don't really care. what i see is a bunch of delusional kansas state fans who think they have the horses to run with auburn.

you are the 8th best team on our schedule. maybe.

we are no worse than the 2nd best team on your schedule as you will soon find out.

GTFOH... Did you not see the part of the thread title that says "(No Bullshit)"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Alabama, Texas A&M, LSU, Ole Miss, Georgia, South Carolina, and Missouri would all be favored against Kansas State on a neutral field.

If Auburn ends up reaching the national title game, this could be the 11th best team Auburn faces!

BECAUSE SEC!!!
@mikec2w

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #105 on: September 15, 2014, 01:56:22 PM »

A quick search of http://stats.ncaa.org/rankings?sport_code=MFB&division=11 shows that K-State finished 26th in '13. (23rd so far this year)

It will be interesting whether HCBS decides he wants this game played in the 30's or 50's.  Either way, our offense vs your defense is a bigger mismatch than your offense vs our defense.

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/1042/p1 is what I looked at.  35th this season (Auburn is 46th http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/1042/p1)

Hrmmm... maybe I'm looking at 2012 stats, I'll dig in further soon.

Its much more beneficial to look at both yards per play and points per play for defensive strength because you get a much more accurate look based on the pace that teams like to play at, especially when comparing a team that likes to play slower like K-State.

http://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/opponent-points-per-play
http://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/opponent-yards-per-play

I even like points/possession better.

Offline #1AUFAN

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 15, 2014, 01:57:59 PM »

2013: Pick up at LSU, where we scored 21 (8) and loss.  30 (46), 62, 45, 45, 35, 55, 43 (32), 34 (1), 59, 31 (2).  Those numbers in parentheses represent the final rank of the total defense for those teams.  KSU finished 45th.

Total Defense isn't a stat that K-State cares about.  The goal of a K-State defense is to make the team run as many plays as possible to get those yards, thus increasing the odds of a mistake.  If f K-State can force a team to run 15 plays it is more likely that team will turn it over, have a drive killing penalty, take a sack, or some other critical mistake than score a touchdown.  Keep as many plays to 5 yards or less and force a team to string them together.  Basically bend but don't break.

I think that's the only way to play Auburn, the only problem is that it requires incredible discipline.

How big are your DBs? Serious question.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #107 on: September 15, 2014, 01:59:43 PM »

I think that's the only way to play Auburn, the only problem is that it requires incredible discipline.

not very

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 15, 2014, 02:00:06 PM »
I even like points/possession better.

Yes, its not as easy to find out there though.

Here is 2013: http://www.bcftoys.com/2013-ppd

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 15, 2014, 02:01:36 PM »

not very

Normal sized probably.

Offline FadeMeAU

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 15, 2014, 02:02:03 PM »
For Auburn to be successful defensively, they are going to have to stay home. Snyder runs a lot of misdirection. They are also going to have to make solo tackles. Based upon what I have seen, I think Auburn is going to have a lot of trouble.

It's very similar to what Auburn does. The formations won't be the same, but Malzahn runs a lot of Snyder's offensive concepts. Not as much in a wildcat package but in the form of wing t and veer principles. Both of these offense are built from the same core. Both teams should be somewhat familiar with the other's offense.

Offline Bqqkie Pimp

• qoEMAW ambassador
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 15, 2014, 02:04:15 PM »

not very

Bigger than in the past...

McDaniel is 6'1" 205
Burns is 5'11" 195
Evans is 6'  190
Barnett is 6'1" 190

It's not like we have Rat Garrett, etc. out there anymore. (although that kid was a PLAYER)
bears are fast...

Offline #1AUFAN

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 15, 2014, 02:05:16 PM »

not very

McDaniel is 6'1" 205
Burns is 5'11" 195
Evans is 6'  190
Barnett is 6'1" 190

It's not like we have Rat Garrett, etc. out there anymore. (although that kid was a PLAYER)

only reason I asked is because Auburn is going to throw a lot of quick passes and WR screens on soft coverage. We have some big receivers.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 15, 2014, 02:06:05 PM »
For Auburn to be successful defensively, they are going to have to stay home. Snyder runs a lot of misdirection. They are also going to have to make solo tackles. Based upon what I have seen, I think Auburn is going to have a lot of trouble.

It's very similar to what Auburn does. The formations won't be the same, but Malzahn runs a lot of Snyder's offensive concepts. Not as much in a wildcat package but in the form of wing t and veer principles. Both of these offense are built from the same core. Both teams should be somewhat familiar with the other's offense.

Yeah, the way Truman has played at LB this season, K-State could have similar problems. I expect both offenses to be pretty efficient. I think the crowd noise will help us win the penalty battle, though, which could be the difference.

Offline Frankenklein

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 15, 2014, 02:07:11 PM »
We're mumped guys,Snyder hasn't a clue as to stopping the QB run game  :ohno:

Offline Bqqkie Pimp

• qoEMAW ambassador
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 15, 2014, 02:08:57 PM »
Good. That would be ideal.  Marshall isn't accurate enough to throw it that much when Snyder chooses to limit your possessions.

Plus, Coates isn't 100% with that bad knee IF he goes at all.  Our corners and Evans/Barnett are good tacklers also.
bears are fast...

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 15, 2014, 02:10:45 PM »

True. Based on watching you guys a little bit, I think Snyder runs more power concepts (pulling OL) and Gus uses more option/veer concepts. Snyder probably uses a bit more complex passing attack. Snyder uses a bunch of personnel packages and formations, but Gus uses a ton of formations (including unbalanced, covered receivers, etc.) with a lot more motion. Its going to be a lot of fun to watch that in person.

Offline FadeMeAU

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 15, 2014, 02:12:26 PM »
Good. That would be ideal.  Marshall isn't accurate enough to throw it that much when Snyder chooses to limit your possessions.

Plus, Coates isn't 100% with that bad knee IF he goes at all.  Our corners and Evans/Barnett are good tacklers also.

I was told the Coates injury wasn't serious at all, and he sat as a precaution against SJSt. He's supposed to be 100%. But even having him at 80% is big for the offense and the passing game. He's still a threat you have to account for.

Offline #1AUFAN

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 15, 2014, 02:14:30 PM »
I don't even think Coates is our best receiver. But he'll be ready to go on Thursday regardless.

Offline FadeMeAU

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 15, 2014, 02:15:23 PM »

Yeah, the way Truman has played at LB this season, K-State could have similar problems. I expect both offenses to be pretty efficient. I think the crowd noise will help us win the penalty battle, though, which could be the difference.

Agreed. Offensive efficiency shouldn't be an issue for either team. Since Auburn starting utilizing NM in the read option, no team has really slowed down this running attack. KState's familiarity with the schemes will certainly help with that, but I think their best defense is a good, driving-sustaining offense, which Snyder has been known for having.

Offline Bqqkie Pimp

• qoEMAW ambassador
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: September 15, 2014, 02:18:52 PM »

I was told the Coates injury wasn't serious at all, and he sat as a precaution against SJSt. He's supposed to be 100%. But even having him at 80% is big for the offense and the passing game. He's still a threat you have to account for.

Thank you... I was actually wondering what the truth was on all of this.
bears are fast...

Offline FadeMeAU

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 15, 2014, 02:24:40 PM »

True. Based on watching you guys a little bit, I think Snyder runs more power concepts (pulling OL) and Gus uses more option/veer concepts. Snyder probably uses a bit more complex passing attack. Snyder uses a bunch of personnel packages and formations, but Gus uses a ton of formations (including unbalanced, covered receivers, etc.) with a lot more motion. Its going to be a lot of fun to watch that in person.

What's crazy is watching your game against Iowa State, I saw several power run plays that looked eerily similar to plays we ran when Cam was at Auburn. One in particular was a power of out the wildcat with a single back in the backfield. I think a timeout was called, but the play started before it was blown dead. Snyder came back in the same formation after the timeout and ran a counter instead of the power. Really neat concepts he runs. I know we have those plays, but we have used a lot more veer and zone reads this year than power. Gus will pull guards, but he likes to get his sniffers out leading without pulling linemen this year. The power is there, but I'm not sure the personnel quite fits those plays as well as others we run.

Offline FadeMeAU

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 15, 2014, 02:33:25 PM »

Thank you... I was actually wondering what the truth was on all of this.

The only things I know for certain are he didn't miss the game for any disciplinary reason and could've played two weeks ago. I was told there was no reason to risk turning nothing into something, and it gave them a chance to work some younger guys who we might have to rely on for this game.

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 15, 2014, 02:38:32 PM »
How we aggressively use are safeties in run support could have a huge effect on the game.

Offline eastcat

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
  • Labeled by children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 15, 2014, 02:39:36 PM »

not very

McDaniel is 6'1" 205
Burns is 5'11" 195
Evans is 6'  190
Barnett is 6'1" 190

only reason I asked is because Auburn is going to throw a lot of quick passes and WR screens on soft coverage. We have some big receivers.

I understand that the SEC hasn't witnessed a forward pass before, but we know enough to see that nick marshall sucks at passing the ball.