Author Topic: Great news Cats fans: Science proves we are younger, richer and not bandwagon  (Read 215910 times)

Offline kstofer

• Fan
    • View Profile
As for Lawrence, bash it all you want.  It's a great place to go to school.  The economy does suck if you're looking for a post-graduate job, but it's a fun college town with some character, and it has a really cool vibe.  An economic study isn't going to look favorably on a place like Lawrence, though, because there's no military base to give it long-term stability and the medical center is in KC.  The economy centers around KU and Mass Street, basically.

I know what you're saying here, and I don't totally disagree - the med center would help with the numbers if it were in Lawrence.  But, it also wouldn't be nearly the medical center it is if it were in Lawrence.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
Yep, even the ku ppl understand that a serious venture needs to be outside of Lawrence to succeed.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Could we send some undergrads at the biz school to spark some economic development for low rents? I'm sure we could get a few companies to build a facility there what with all the cheap labor to be had.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
I wish beems would have bantered with me. He tapped out so early.  :frown:

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Lawrence will do fine in 25 years when they legalize weed in Kansas.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
I'm sure we could get a few companies to build a facility there what with all the cheap labor to be had.

I bet the walmarts in JOCO start bussing employees from Lawrence to JoCo walmarts to take advantage of such a large population that are content to work for min wage.  Used to happen from KCK to JoCo but with the Legends, KCK is too good for that now.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I'm sure we could get a few companies to build a facility there what with all the cheap labor to be had.

I bet the walmarts in JOCO start bussing employees from Lawrence to JoCo walmarts to take advantage of such a large population that are content to work for min wage.  Used to happen from KCK to JoCo but with the Legends, KCK is too good for that now.

That is probably more likely, given the labor force is largely unskilled as well
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
Is Lawrence, as a town, sustainable?  I think you'd have to consider they are not.  Should not get any state funding.  You don't throw good money after bad.  And when you realize you're in a hole, the first thing you do is stop digging.  Is what I always say.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
As for Lawrence, bash it all you want.  It's a great place to go to school.  The economy does suck if you're looking for a post-graduate job, but it's a fun college town with some character, and it has a really cool vibe.  An economic study isn't going to look favorably on a place like Lawrence, though, because there's no military base to give it long-term stability and the medical center is in KC.  The economy centers around KU and Mass Street, basically.

It sucks it is in such drastic economic shape.

who would've ever thought that centering an economy around a single street filled with a bunch of dive bars and second hand clothing stores wasn't a recipe for a successful vibrant community? live and learn i guess.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
Accusing someone of being a racist while talking up Lawrence is like marching in the million man march while wearing a white pointy hood.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Is Lawrence, as a town, sustainable?  I think you'd have to consider they are not.  Should not get any state funding.  You don't throw good money after bad.  And when you realize you're in a hole, the first thing you do is stop digging.  Is what I always say.

You have it all wrong. They wouldn't be able to get state funding if they were sustainable.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile

who would've ever thought that centering an economy around a single street filled with a bunch of dive bars and second hand clothing stores wasn't a recipe for a successful vibrant community? live and learn i guess.

the aggieville business association

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile

You have it all wrong. They wouldn't be able to get state funding if they were sustainable.

What I'm saying is...they are unsustainable, thus they need more sustainable, but that shall not be funded.  Mmmkay?

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile

the aggieville business association

So now we know why the Bob Strawn crew refuses to cater to Aggieville. They are making sure we don't become Lawrence. 

Remember that next time you are fighting for the front yard orgy rights so many have been denied.

Thank you, Bob Strawn.

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile

I think that Lawrence can send it's hippie chicks to work the stripper bars in KCMO, but that won't fly in Johnson or Wyandotte county.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

I think that Lawrence can send it's hippie chicks to work the stripper bars in KCMO, but that won't fly in Johnson or Wyandotte county.

Well, there's always the outhouse. It's local, but unfortunately, I think it might be outside of city limits.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Lawrence is cool if you like poverty, pathetic public works, terrible food, unemployment, dressing like the kid from Deliverance, and riding the bus.

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Lawrence is cool if you like poverty, pathetic public works, terrible food, unemployment, dressing like the kid from Deliverance, and riding the bus.

Sounds about right.

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
Lawrence is a nice little bedroom community for Topeka and KC.  Always has been, always will be.

Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
Lawrence is a nice little bedroom community for Topeka and KC.  Always has been, always will be.

Bedroom communities don't have that level of crime and criminals.  It's more like a slum of KC  and Topeka. 

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Is Lawrence still the Maginot Line between warring Topeka and Bonner/KCK gangs? 

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile

Bedroom communities don't have that level of crime and criminals.  It's more like a slum of KC  and Topeka. 

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Bedroom communities are for sleeping.  Lawrence has always been a good place if you are homeless or you work elsewhere in a place that has jobs.

They also have very nice outlet malls for the poors.

Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
So is the phog saying this is inaccurate?

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

In the context of seeking objective truth, the phog could not be more aptly named.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile

In the context of seeking objective truth, the phog could not be more aptly named.

that's why they are so poor?