Author Topic: Great news Cats fans: Science proves we are younger, richer and not bandwagon  (Read 215991 times)

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
My initial source: 

http://www.solar-facts-and-advice.com/solar-investments.html

For example: First Solar (FSLR) – (up 4,685%) and Trina Solar (TSL) – (up 1,774%) during 2010 have both had good years – and investors who got in early are no doubt very happy they did so.

:ck:

This just keeps getting more interesting

Apparently google searching for some quick information has its limitations. 

Not a big deal.  Whatever happens to First Solar in the future, it will always live on as part of goEMAW folklore right up there with the Amare Camp and the selection committee.

First Solar's a giant in the industry.  It's not going anywhere.  Like I said, though, the solar industry is going through a transition phase right now, and a lot of the smaller companies will start to consolidate with companies like First Solar in the future. 

If this was 2001, beems would be investing his entire 401k in Enron.

First of all, I would never pour all of my money into one stock.  Diversifying investments is one of the first things you learn about in economics/finance.  Second, pretty much everyone who follows the energy market will tell you that solar energy is the way of the future.  It's not a matter of "if."  It's a matter of "when."

I'm with Ben...I think solar (and other renewables) are coming; the rest of the world industrialized world is banking on it.  Below is a link to an NPR story from the other day, there was a blurb about Germany and Japan moving away from nuclear, and abandoning large nuclear projects that had been in the pipeline, and getting upto 40% from renewable energy, the majority of which is solar.  <Like most things, the US will probably lag behind...  :dubious:>

http://www.npr.org/2011/05/16/136280398/nuclear-nations-turn-to-natural-gas-and-renewables

:blush:

LOL @ two countries optimisitically hoping they can get up to 40% from renewables, the earliest by 2020 (won't happen). Also no mention how much will be from solar, guessing not much. They are most likely talking about biomass plants.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline FranklyFrankYou

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Geothermal :ck:

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Mashing 'taters like an Old Country Buffet
    • View Profile
OregonHawk,

Can you you provide me any "inside" financial tips? Like, when I should buy a stock because a company is about to enter in to a multi-billion dollar merger?

Thanks in advance.

I mentioned them briefly, but ECOtality (NASDAQ - ECTY) is an up and coming stock to keep an eye on.  They just recently installed the first 1,000 Blink Electric Vehicle residential charging stations for the EV Project (http://www.theevproject.com/), and they just recently announced a partnership with global real estate firm Jones Lang LaSalle ('10 global revenue of ~$3 billion).  Their stock is only $4/share right now, and as the electric car industry expands, ECOtality's value could really grow in the next several years.  

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Their stock is only $4/share right now

pffftttt

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
My initial source: 

http://www.solar-facts-and-advice.com/solar-investments.html

For example: First Solar (FSLR) – (up 4,685%) and Trina Solar (TSL) – (up 1,774%) during 2010 have both had good years – and investors who got in early are no doubt very happy they did so.

This just keeps getting more interesting

Apparently google searching for some quick information has its limitations. 

Not a big deal.  Whatever happens to First Solar in the future, it will always live on as part of goEMAW folklore right up there with the Amare Camp and the selection committee.

First Solar's a giant in the industry.  It's not going anywhere.  Like I said, though, the solar industry is going through a transition phase right now, and a lot of the smaller companies will start to consolidate with companies like First Solar in the future. 

If this was 2001, beems would be investing his entire 401k in Enron.

First of all, I would never pour all of my money into one stock.  Diversifying investments is one of the first things you learn about in economics/finance.  Second, pretty much everyone who follows the energy market will tell you that solar energy is the way of the future.  It's not a matter of "if."  It's a matter of "when."

I'm with Ben...I think solar (and other renewables) are coming; the rest of the world industrialized world is banking on it.  Below is a link to an NPR story from the other day, there was a blurb about Germany and Japan moving away from nuclear, and abandoning large nuclear projects that had been in the pipeline, and getting upto 40% from renewable energy, the majority of which is solar.  <Like most things, the US will probably lag behind...  :dubious:>

http://www.npr.org/2011/05/16/136280398/nuclear-nations-turn-to-natural-gas-and-renewables

:blush:

LOL @ two countries optimisitically hoping they can get up to 40% from renewables, the earliest by 2020 (won't happen). Also no mention how much will be from solar, guessing not much. They are most likely talking about biomass plants.

The solar industry receives approximately half of the German government's aid for alternative energy, but yes, a large portion of their alternative energy output is actually derived from wind.  

Offline Boakai

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile

I don't expect solar power to be used as a replacement for fossil fuels, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if the solar power industry grows in the coming years. Europe has a very vocal environmentalist community, and renewable energy is stressed heavily. Renewable energy infrastructure will only grow in the United States, as well, but not as fast as it will in Europe.

I agree with this statement except, austerity legislation has drastically cut gov't subsidies spent on solar power throughout southern Europe. The company Beems is talking about, First Solar, relies on Italy for 13% of its sales and those sales just aren't going to be there for the next couple years. Just this morning an article was released insinuating that short sellers were moving in on First Solar which is scary for a novice investor.

A stock I do hold shares in sent this in a press release earlier in the week and is somewhat telling of what the real driving forces are in the economic potential of solar.

On the downside, Italy approved a decree earlier this month that cuts spending on generous solar power incentives. Under the new solar decree, a transitional period with gradual cuts in incentives will start from June 1, 2011 and run to 2013, after which the incentives will automatically be linked to reaching a certain level of installed capacity. The decree aims to cap subsidies for solar developers at between $8.92 billion and $10.41 billion per year by the end of 2016.

So I suppose one could see a light at the end of the tunnel, but that's not until 2013, so why seriously invest before then? Also..unless you are comfortable with E.U. politics would you be confident that when 2013 rolls around that business just picks up where it left off?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
20 wind turbines power 9% of the island of maui.  fun fact gained from the maui roadmap that National Rent A Car gave me. 

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

I don't expect solar power to be used as a replacement for fossil fuels, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if the solar power industry grows in the coming years. Europe has a very vocal environmentalist community, and renewable energy is stressed heavily. Renewable energy infrastructure will only grow in the United States, as well, but not as fast as it will in Europe.

I agree with this statement except, austerity legislation has drastically cut gov't subsidies spent on solar power throughout southern Europe. The company Beems is talking about, First Solar, relies on Italy for 13% of its sales and those sales just aren't going to be there for the next couple years. Just this morning an article was released insinuating that short sellers were moving in on First Solar which is scary for a novice investor.

A stock I do hold shares in sent this in a press release earlier in the week and is somewhat telling of what the real driving forces are in the economic potential of solar.

On the downside, Italy approved a decree earlier this month that cuts spending on generous solar power incentives. Under the new solar decree, a transitional period with gradual cuts in incentives will start from June 1, 2011 and run to 2013, after which the incentives will automatically be linked to reaching a certain level of installed capacity. The decree aims to cap subsidies for solar developers at between $8.92 billion and $10.41 billion per year by the end of 2016.

So I suppose one could see a light at the end of the tunnel, but that's not until 2013, so why seriously invest before then? Also..unless you are comfortable with E.U. politics would you be confident that when 2013 rolls around that business just picks up where it left off?

I've always considered renewable energy stocks as a long-term investment, and you're right, Italy just cut solar subsidies, which has scared off a lot of investors. 

Offline slucat

• GIRL ALERT, GIRL ALERT
  • Combo-Fan
  • This SLU, not the city
    • View Profile
http://www.solarroadways.com/intro.shtml

Quote:  The U.S. Department of Transportation granted $100,000 to the Idaho-based startup Solar Roadways to build a prototype roadway composed of solar cells and glass. The accumulated energy could, hypothetically, be used to light the roadway and provide electricity to consumers

http://www.neatorama.com/2009/09/07/solar-powered-roadway-lights/
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 03:01:04 PM by slucat »

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
Long term investment?  Like, holding non-appreciating investments for years?

I would think a stock picker like yourself could find a much better place to invest your liquidity.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Topeka is much better than any of those places.

Is it true that Topeka is getting a 23rd St. Brewery? 
Haven't heard of anything like that.  Prefer Free State.

Well Duh framing Duh. 23rd st, formerly 75th st, formerly Emerson biggins, formerly sports room?, is trash.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Topeka is much better than any of those places.

Is it true that Topeka is getting a 23rd St. Brewery? 
Haven't heard of anything like that.  Prefer Free State.

Well Duh framing Duh. 23rd st, formerly 75th st, formerly Emerson biggins, formerly sports room?, is trash.

It's quite a bit better now than it used to be, and 90% of the waitresses are hot.  It's a decent alternative to Free State if you live on the west side of Lawrence.

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
west lawrence, a.k.a. topeka

Offline bakerman

• Big Salt Spokesperson
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Ben jedi mind tricked the eff out of this thread....   :dubious:

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
Ben jedi mind tricked the eff out of this thread....   :dubious:

I think it's more ADD.  He just jumps around.  Sure, when he is getting destroyed he changes the topic pretty quick but I think it is sometimes unintentional.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
time to drop a bomb on this thread..............---------->>>>>>>>>>  magnets

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline wes mantooth

• freak and stud
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #LIFE is good
    • View Profile

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Lol @ Beem's poor grasp of directions.  Hey Ben, how is life on the east coast treatin' ya?

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
If you like cash flow and dividends, and you want to invest in energy, invest in oil dumbasses.

:facepalm:

If you want to invest in a super high risk stock where 4 out of 5 companies will fail, with no cash flow, that's entirely dependent on the whims of government, invest in solar.  I suggest roulette, much more fun.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
The Big 5 oil companies combined for almost 1 trillion in profits over the last decade.  :ck:

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
weird
emaw

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
According to the figures, the median age in Kansas was 36 in 2010, up from 35.2 in 2000. The median age ranged from 24.3 in Riley County to 52.5 in Jewell County along the Kansas-Nebraska border.

http://cjonline.com/news/2011-05-19/median-age-rising-rural-kansas

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
According to the figures, the median age in Kansas was 36 in 2010, up from 35.2 in 2000. The median age ranged from 24.3 in Riley County to 52.5 in Jewell County along the Kansas-Nebraska border.

http://cjonline.com/news/2011-05-19/median-age-rising-rural-kansas

Riley county fires another 105 mph fastball past Douglas county's old wood bat.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Lol @ Beem's poor grasp of directions.  Hey Ben, how is life on the east coast treatin' ya?

West Lawrence is very similar to the Lenexa area, Mr. Wichita.