Author Topic: Coaching Carousel Master Thread (MAYBE FEATURING THE KSU CATS?)  (Read 933934 times)

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Coaching Carousel Master Thread (MAYBE FEATURING THE KSU CATS?)
« Reply #4500 on: March 19, 2016, 01:24:42 AM »
If Oklahoma State hires Underwood I'm done with college sports.  I'll never watch another kstate game again. 
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4501 on: March 19, 2016, 01:36:35 AM »
I'd like for one of these to happen:

1) Miami wins it all, Larranaga decides to go out on top, Frank gets that job and SCAR brings back Brad who finishes their turnaround.

2) Brad goes to OSU or TCU and when they play in the fOOD next year, it's the only game with over 10K fans and the majority are actively rooting for Brad's team.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #4502 on: March 19, 2016, 07:17:00 AM »
I'd like for one of these to happen:

1) Miami wins it all, Larranaga decides to go out on top, Frank gets that job and SCAR brings back Brad who finishes their turnaround.

2) Brad goes to OSU or TCU and when they play in the fOOD next year, it's the only game with over 10K fans and the majority are actively rooting for Brad's team.

I hope he goes to Oklahoma State, because I think he'll have more success there than at TCU.  However, as long as he is in the conference and serves as a constant reminder to Kansas State fans, I'll be happy.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4503 on: March 19, 2016, 10:20:51 AM »
The current edition of the eye on in college basketball indirectly offers two glances of light for us not losing our shot at Brad
1. They talked about two very recent cases of a power 5 AD firing a coach after they secured their target; Stan Heath at Arkansas and Rick Ray at Mississippi State. If I remember correctly Ray was fired after the final four.
2. The juicier news is that apparently TCU and OSU are about to go on a bidding war for Buzz Williams, who if this news is out there his people are clearly floating the possibility. It's also possible that Brad is OSU's third choice behind the UALR coach, the Oklahoma schools have a fairly extensive history of looking to Arkansas for coaches.

I hadn't really thought about it until I heard this but right now St. Louis is the second best opening right now. The best case scenario for us is for Buzz to get the OSU job, I think that is the only job currently open that we can't get Brad from next year or in 2018. If oscar doesn't get fired, ideally Currie leaves this summer then oscar gets gassed next. With a new AD oscar could get fired next year even if he makes the tournament and doesn't win a game while there.

Here's the podcast info, the coaching stuff is 21:40-34:00

Gary Parrish, Chip Patterson and Sam Vecenie use this episode of the Eye on College Basketball podcast to discuss Providence's win over USC, UALR's win over Purdue, the terrible tone some reporter used to ask Baylor's Taurean Prince a stupid question, and the coaching carousel (and how Stephen F. Austin's Brad Underwood might fit into). Beyond that, they discussed the way the committee seeds teams. And they previewed Kentucky-Indiana, of course.

* Duration: 56:46, Played

* Published: 3/18/16 11:45:14 AM

* Episode Download Link (52 MB):

* Episode Feed: CBS Sports Eye On College Basketball Podcast - http://podcasts.cstv.com/feeds/mensbasketball.xml

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #4504 on: March 19, 2016, 10:56:28 AM »
I think the only way we realistically get rid of oscar in the next 2 years, regardless of whether or not this is a tournament team, is if a collection of donors at the Ice/Vanier/Edgerley level went to Currie and said that all of the money fueling Currie's building projects is frozen until they remove Weber and replace him with Underwood.  And it will specifically need to be Underwood because Currie can easily dismiss Steve Henson, or some non-affiliated coach like Tad Boyle, because oscar will always be "right there" and "this close" to turning that corner again.  Brad's success, specifically, and very public affections towards Kansas State, and the fact that he was here and wanting the job four years ago, is a huge black eye on Currie's tenure.

It's going to take that level of donor effort, in my opinion, to remove Weber while we still have a shot at Brad.  I think it's highly likely we'll see some form of improvement with increased experience and physical maturity.  So we're going to be an NCAA bubble team for the next 2-3 years.

And while I don't think Currie will screw around with football, due to how it's the engine that fuels all of his goals, I think his ego will get the best of him in basketball because it's the one area where he's heavily come under fire.  The only way you'll overcome what I believe will be an irrational desire to stick with Weber, is for those folks that give him millions to say enough is enough.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4505 on: March 19, 2016, 11:07:25 AM »
You can't possibly think that, you're smarter than that. When most people post that it's because they're trolling. If oscar has another season like this one next year, he's obviously going to get fired. We can't have what OSU has had throughout the Ford era. We cannot afford to be playing conference games in front of 4000 people.

I'll bet every dollar I have that two years from today either Weber or Currie will be gone, odds are heavily in my favor.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4506 on: March 19, 2016, 11:10:18 AM »
You can't possibly think that, you're smarter than that. When most people post that it's because they're trolling. If oscar has another season like this one next year, he's obviously going to get fired. We can't have what OSU has had throughout the Ford era. We cannot afford to be playing conference games in front of 4000 people.

I'll bet every dollar I have that two years from today either Weber or Currie will be gone, odds are heavily in my favor.

I agree. Currie may be stubborn because this is his hire, but he's not that stupid.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4507 on: March 19, 2016, 11:20:53 AM »

oscar won't have a season like this one next year. The team will be a little better and that will seriously be enough.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4508 on: March 19, 2016, 11:32:58 AM »

oscar won't have a season like this one next year. The team will be a little better and that will seriously be enough.

I disagree on the notion that slightly better will be enough. I guess we'll see what the attendance looks like but if fans aren't buying in oscar won't be kept.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4509 on: March 19, 2016, 11:34:32 AM »
I disagree on the notion that slightly better will be enough. I guess we'll see what the attendance looks like but if fans aren't buying in oscar won't be kept.

#teamMIR*

*especially when it comes to this and the Shockers.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4510 on: March 19, 2016, 11:40:02 AM »

don't underestimate the tactics the AD will go thru to prop up attendance - Taco John ticket drops are coming

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4511 on: March 19, 2016, 11:40:19 AM »

I'm guessing a slightly better team will lead to slightly better attendance. But were actual ticket sales a problem this year? Attendance listed for every conference game was 11k+. (I'm guessing that is paid attendance, really all that matters). IMO they'd have to be A LOT worse to make much of a dent in that.

Offline BostonPancake

• Katpak'r
  • I'm all about the T in TSC.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4512 on: March 19, 2016, 11:40:39 AM »

What is slightly better?  Would having a Texas Tech type season be enough to keep him?  That kinda what I am envisioning we will be next year and would be my worst nightmare.  I either want him to suck or totally blow our minds and have us in the top 4 of the big 12 and get a 4 seed.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4513 on: March 19, 2016, 11:43:20 AM »

What is slightly better?  Would having a Texas Tech type season be enough to keep him?  That kinda what I am envisioning we will be next year and would be my worst nightmare.  I either want him to suck or totally blow our minds and have us in the top 4 of the big 12 and get a 4 seed.

absolutely it would be enough. Fans would be thrilled.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4514 on: March 19, 2016, 11:43:42 AM »

This is where I'm at. A Texas Tech type season would be the worst. Unfortunately, it seems like the most likely scenario.

Offline BostonPancake

• Katpak'r
  • I'm all about the T in TSC.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4515 on: March 19, 2016, 11:45:54 AM »

absolutely it would be enough. Fans would be thrilled.

Not this fan.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4516 on: March 19, 2016, 11:46:57 AM »

don't underestimate the tactics the AD will go thru to prop up attendance - Taco John ticket drops are coming

That is their job, as much as we want to see a 1/3 full building, the AD can't have that happen.

I'm guessing a slightly better team will lead to slightly better attendance. But were actual ticket sales a problem this year? Attendance listed for every conference game was 11k+. (I'm guessing that is paid attendance, really all that matters). IMO they'd have to be A LOT worse to make much of a dent in that.

We're a long long long away from our building looking like Gallaher-Iba, ticket revenue will tell the story.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4517 on: March 19, 2016, 11:51:17 AM »
Another thing to consider is  Fan is right that Currie isn't stupid, which is why he wouldn't fire a coach showing any improvement in consecutive seasons after letting him blow up the roster and rebuild.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4518 on: March 19, 2016, 11:53:31 AM »

A Texas Tech type of season isn't a slight improvement. They comfortably made the tournament even after losing to one of the five worst Big 12 teams ever, we didn't even make the NIT. A Tech type season is a slight improvement if you believe the oscar 5 possession talking point. This season was very similar to Wooly's last season, Huggs had a huge improvement and made the NIT. We will see ultimately but I don't think that 8-10 in the conference will get you in the tournament next year. The conference is obviously losing a ton of talent, I am not sure yet if the conference RPI and kenpom the last couple of years is more attributable to the talent in it or because of the round robin.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4519 on: March 19, 2016, 12:00:30 PM »
I would say it is the round robin and the bottom feeders (TT, TCU & KSU) getting the noncon schedulemakers on their side

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4520 on: March 19, 2016, 12:04:49 PM »
Another thing to consider is  Fan is right that Currie isn't stupid, which is why he wouldn't fire a coach showing any improvement in consecutive seasons after letting him blow up the roster and rebuild.

I agree with this.

I think the point about Tech is basicallybeing a bubble team, though to be fair Tech did go on a nice run to put themselves clearly on the right side of the bubble. Probably a more realistic comparison would be a Vandy or Michigan type season and be one of the last 4 teams in the field.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4521 on: March 19, 2016, 12:26:12 PM »

This team did not show any improvement from last season.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4522 on: March 19, 2016, 12:30:26 PM »

This team did not show any improvement from last season.
It was perceived as improvement by many. Plus a better overall record and NIT bubble.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4523 on: March 19, 2016, 12:31:07 PM »
And perception is all that matters.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4524 on: March 19, 2016, 12:34:19 PM »
And perception is all that matters.

You're making assumptions about Currie's perception to fit your own narrative. We have no idea how this season is perceived by oscar's bosses. There is simply no way the administration has their fingers stuck in their ears. The grumbling has gone far beyond a couple dozen of annoying goEMAW posters.