Author Topic: Coaching Carousel Master Thread (MAYBE FEATURING THE KSU CATS?)  (Read 933935 times)

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Coaching Carousel Master Thread (MAYBE FEATURING THE KSU CATS?)
« Reply #4300 on: March 31, 2015, 09:46:07 AM »
Well, I know F'ite/TCfS Nation loves them some Rick Barnes, and hey, I kind of like Rick myself  (I mean I still love the guy from when he was at Clemson and decided he wasn't going to homered in the Dean Dome anymore and pretty much met Dean Smith at half court).   There was something that just wasn't right at Texas these past few years and they did underachieve IMO.
i am not sure if I saw it here or on ShaggyBevo but allegedly Barnes got super into his faith and church in the last few years  :dunno:
Heard that as well.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4301 on: March 31, 2015, 09:47:02 AM »
Source: B+.  :(

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4302 on: March 31, 2015, 09:50:20 AM »

Smart

His style would be more fun, and would be very good with Texas-sized recruits, but his shine has worn a bit for me. He's been in a much tougher conference the last few years tho.

Why has the shine worn off, they're still winning?

It's because he hasn't made any final fours since that one and it's how people measure success. It's wrong, but it's what happens.

He's never finished first in any of the dogshit conferences he's been in. 
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4303 on: March 31, 2015, 09:51:22 AM »
Source: B+.  :(
have been reading this most of the morning, him or marshall have been mentioned but marshall is obv a wait and see

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #4304 on: March 31, 2015, 09:56:08 AM »
Buzz would be great there.  I also like the idea of Stevens.
What makes you think Stevens isn't staying in the NBA? Cause he is

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4305 on: March 31, 2015, 09:58:51 AM »
Yeah.  I get that.  Someone mentioned it above and I was addressing that.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4306 on: March 31, 2015, 10:01:12 AM »
The scenario was "what if Texas could hire anyone they want?" and I said Stevens, while noting that Texas can't hire anyone they want but congrats on being the smartest guy in the room with this new illuminating information

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #4307 on: March 31, 2015, 10:05:56 AM »
Okay

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4308 on: March 31, 2015, 10:38:17 AM »
The scenario was "what if Texas could hire anyone they want?" and I said Stevens, while noting that Texas can't hire anyone they want but congrats on being the smartest guy in the room with this new illuminating information
there have been rumblings in the NBA that the Cs have been more aggressive in adding pieces instead of just rough ridin' around and collecting assets like the 76ers because Stevens told them he doesn't want to keep losing and will go back to college.  It took a remarkable confluence of events with the 2 superstars in Ray Allen and Garnett that don't really care about going out for Boston to build a championship team.  I bet Stevens is back in college in less than 2 years.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4309 on: March 31, 2015, 12:58:56 PM »
Well, I know F'ite/TCfS Nation loves them some Rick Barnes, and hey, I kind of like Rick myself  (I mean I still love the guy from when he was at Clemson and decided he wasn't going to homered in the Dean Dome anymore and pretty much met Dean Smith at half court).   There was something that just wasn't right at Texas these past few years and they did underachieve IMO.
i am not sure if I saw it here or on ShaggyBevo but allegedly Barnes got super into his faith and church in the last few years  :dunno:
Heard that as well.

Yeah there's talk within the Texas AD that this has led to his slippage because his priorities changed. Because of this they thought/hoped that he was just going to go home and quit at the end of the season. Guess not.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4310 on: March 31, 2015, 01:05:12 PM »

Smart

His style would be more fun, and would be very good with Texas-sized recruits, but his shine has worn a bit for me. He's been in a much tougher conference the last few years tho.

Why has the shine worn off, they're still winning?

It's because he hasn't made any final fours since that one and it's how people measure success. It's wrong, but it's what happens.

He's never finished first in any of the dogshit conferences he's been in.

The A-10 isn't dogshit and they likely win it this year if they don't lose Weber.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4311 on: March 31, 2015, 01:07:55 PM »
Making the tourney five years in a row is a significant accomplishment at Smart's level. It shows he can recruit, which is really what's most important.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4312 on: March 31, 2015, 01:09:41 PM »
Is marshall out of the running at texas already?  Something I read said it was down to shaka, Utah coach K and Chris Mack.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4313 on: March 31, 2015, 01:12:25 PM »
there have been rumblings in the NBA that the Cs have been more aggressive in adding pieces instead of just rough ridin' around and collecting assets like the 76ers because Stevens told them he doesn't want to keep losing and will go back to college.  It took a remarkable confluence of events with the 2 superstars in Ray Allen and Garnett that don't really care about going out for Boston to build a championship team.  I bet Stevens is back in college in less than 2 years.

If he leaves Boston his next job will be an NBA job, they love him. He's two failures away from having to go back to college. Good pro coaches don't leave the pros. There isn't a NBA gm that would take Self or Hoiberg over Stevens right now.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4314 on: March 31, 2015, 01:14:30 PM »
Is marshall out of the running at texas already?  Something I read said it was down to shaka, Utah coach K and Chris Mack.

He hasn't talked to them yet.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4315 on: March 31, 2015, 01:33:55 PM »
Brad's holding onto that 8 seed in the East!

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4316 on: March 31, 2015, 02:23:49 PM »

If he leaves Boston his next job will be an NBA job, they love him. He's two failures away from having to go back to college. Good pro coaches don't leave the pros. There isn't a NBA gm that would take Self or Hoiberg over Stevens right now.
I agree Brad is good but if Boston gets stuck in the same rebuild cycle they have been for 20+ years (with only the Big 3 run and the Pierce/Antoine ECF miracle run year as the exceptions) I don't see Brad choosing to stay in the NBA for what will likely be a 2nd tier job at best (current Trailblazers type job) instead of the 1st tier jobs waiting for him in cbb.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4317 on: March 31, 2015, 02:26:21 PM »
I could see the NBA being very attractive for certain college coaches who don't enjoy the recruiting part of the gig.  I have no clue if Stevens is one of these guys.

Looking back, this specific reason makes me wonder why Bill never took a shot at the NFL. 

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4318 on: March 31, 2015, 02:31:32 PM »
I could see the NBA being very attractive for certain college coaches who don't enjoy the recruiting part of the gig.  I have no clue if Stevens is one of these guys.

Looking back, this specific reason makes me wonder why Bill never took a shot at the NFL.

Bill was good at recruiting back when NFL teams might have been interested in him.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4319 on: March 31, 2015, 02:32:25 PM »

Bill was good at recruiting back when NFL teams might have been interested in him.

Just because he was good at it doesn't mean he likes it.  He himself has said that he never liked that part of the game.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4320 on: March 31, 2015, 02:33:35 PM »

Just because he was good at it doesn't mean he likes it.  He himself has said that he never liked that part of the game.
Bill lies/says a lot of crap he doesn't mean

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4321 on: March 31, 2015, 02:38:15 PM »
If you're a NBA coach there is no college job better than any NBA job. NBA jobs don't have tiers like college jobs do. Either you're good or you're not. Of the three jobs that would be considered blue bloods if they were tiered like college jobs; two of them are complete disasters right now and one is the job Stevens has now battling for the last playoff spot.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4322 on: March 31, 2015, 02:48:00 PM »

Bill lies/says a lot of crap he doesn't mean

Well, yeah, but this one seems likely, if not true, given that he isn't exactly lining up the high rated kids.

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4323 on: March 31, 2015, 02:48:51 PM »
between the lakers and the knicks, i would take the LA job.  the problem in LA, which i agree could be traced back to management, is kobe
the knicks on the other hand have james dolan and that sucks worse than anything 
and i'm a life long knicks fan

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4324 on: March 31, 2015, 02:49:01 PM »
there are absolutely tiers for NBA jobs.  The big market teams in great cities to live in will always have a draw elite free agents over Boston, Minn, Utah, Portland, OKC, etc.  If Boston fails to draft or sign an elite player like it did after pierce and before the big 3 could you blame Stevens for going to a place like UNC or Duke where he is in the home of any kid he wants?  Even the great football school jobs (Fla, Texas, tOSU) have built in advantages that make competing for titles much easier than even a pretty good NBA job like Portland.