Author Topic: $2M of Athletic Department Revenue being wasted on an indoor rowing training hut  (Read 37584 times)

Online Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
$2M of Athletic Department Revenue being wasted on an indoor rowing training hut
« Reply #225 on: February 17, 2013, 05:02:59 PM »
women's soccer is incredibly elite, lets do that

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
OK, sounds like we have agreement on dropping all but the barest essential funding for all women's sports except soccer.  Who gets to tell Deb? 

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
OK, sounds like we have agreement on dropping all but the barest essential funding for all women's sports except soccer.  Who gets to tell Deb? 

MIR
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
BUNCH OF SPORTS RACISTS HERE!  :curse:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

:curse: sonofabitch

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile

:curse: sonofabitch
:lol:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
Has this thread gotten better since page 7?  Need to know if I should go back and read what I've missed.

Offline mancattanite

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
We should not spend money on any sport except men's basketball and football.

Those two provide all the others with their scholarships and operating revenue.  Isn't that enough?

If the NCAA would allow it, I'd drop them all, and keep just enough women's sports to satisfy title 9.
We are already at that point...

No we are not.  I would drop Men's track and baseball if I could.

I'm hoping you're not being serious... but if you are...  :facepalm:
Never misunderestimate a Wildcat.

Offline FuzzyWuzzy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
if only there was a rec center with rowing machines and a big ass lake nearby

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
Definitely more of a soccer fan than college baseball which is weird because I love the MLB. Given a choice I guess I'd go with soccer but why not let everybody play? Also lots and lots of concussions in soccer too. People in Boston studying brain injuries listed soccer second to football with number of brain injuries.

Yup, this is late but whatever. An ex of mine in undergrad had two concussions in a season. Three other teammates had problems with them too.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Baseball and softball are better sports to field than soccer because if your teams are good you get on ESPN for the College World Series and a lot of people actually watch your school participate. Softball should come before soccer, but I'd like to have both. Also, and this is probably a stupid question because I know absolutely nothing about college swimming, but why have a natatorium and no swim team? How many scholarships would that take? I would think since we are already paying the O&M on the pool, that this would be much more affordable than equestrian.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
if only there was a rec center with rowing machines and a big ass lake nearby
In fairness, the Concept Ergs the rec has suck balls and there aren't nearly enough of them to field a varsity 8.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Baseball and softball are better sports to field than soccer because if your teams are good you get on ESPN for the College World Series and a lot of people actually watch your school participate. Softball should come before soccer, but I'd like to have both. Also, and this is probably a stupid question because I know absolutely nothing about college swimming, but why have a natatorium and no swim team? How many scholarships would that take? I would think since we are already paying the O&M on the pool, that this would be much more affordable than equestrian.

That's a really stupid reason to field one sport over another, really dumb. The differences in ratings between the softball world series and the soccer final four is measured in the thousands. Neither draw dick for television ratings.

We used to have a swimming and diving team. First of all it would take a pretty significant amount of money to bring the nat from the standard of a recreation pool to a D1 facility. S&W is allowed 14 scholarships spread out over about 30 participants. That is more than volleyball, softball, golf and tennis, the same as soccer, one less than basketball and equestrian, cross country and T&F get 18 (this sport gets absolutely screwed as they get a total of 18 womens scholarships for XC, indoor and outdoor not 18 each sport) and equestrian gets 20 scholarships. The schools that would be our S&D peers spend about $5000 an athlete not counting the cost of maintaining facilities and coaching salaries. Schools are cutting S&D left and right, there are only 5 Big 12 schools with it, even OU has cut that sport. I don't know the cost of travel and operating facilities but since so few schools in our region do it, I'd imagine these things make S&D more expensive than softball or soccer.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I wish KSU had a men's soccer team. I would have watched the crap out of those games.

Offline ksucrcoop

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
I wish KSU had a men's soccer team. I would have watched the crap out of those games.

Any sport that would be played at old stadium, a fan of I would be. Imagine Pak'in it in the ville and then walking over for a lovely match on a cool thursday evening and then celebrating the win or mourning the loss by walking back to the ville on a cool thursday night.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Any sport that would be played at old stadium, a fan of I would be. Imagine Pak'in it in the ville and then walking over for a lovely match on a cool thursday evening and then celebrating the win or mourning the loss by walking back to the ville on a cool thursday night.

Did you watch the rugby team?

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

That's a really stupid reason to field one sport over another, really dumb. The differences in ratings between the softball world series and the soccer final four is measured in the thousands. Neither draw dick for television ratings.

I honestly wasn't aware that the college soccer final four was even televised.

Quote from: MIR
We used to have a swimming and diving team. First of all it would take a pretty significant amount of money to bring the nat from the standard of a recreation pool to a D1 facility. S&W is allowed 14 scholarships spread out over about 30 participants. That is more than volleyball, softball, golf and tennis, the same as soccer, one less than basketball and equestrian, cross country and T&F get 18 (this sport gets absolutely screwed as they get a total of 18 womens scholarships for XC, indoor and outdoor not 18 each sport) and equestrian gets 20 scholarships. The schools that would be our S&D peers spend about $5000 an athlete not counting the cost of maintaining facilities and coaching salaries. Schools are cutting S&D left and right, there are only 5 Big 12 schools with it, even OU has cut that sport. I don't know the cost of travel and operating facilities but since so few schools in our region do it, I'd imagine these things make S&D more expensive than softball or soccer.

That's good to know. As I said, I know nothing about college swimming and diving, so thank you for the information.

Offline ksucrcoop

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile

no, I also didn't watch pickup football games or ultimate frisbee - cause they weren't K-STATE ATHLETICS, stupid.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

no, I also didn't watch pickup football games or ultimate frisbee - cause they weren't K-STATE ATHLETICS, stupid.

Well that's weird, because they had official K-State logo jerseys and competed against other Big 12 schools.

Offline ksucrcoop

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile

Well that's weird, because they had official K-State logo jerseys and competed against other Big 12 schools.

so does the debate team...big deal

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

In the old stadium?

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
ksucroop better tread softly on this subject

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline ksucrcoop

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
ksucroop better tread softly on this subject

DNR

In the old stadium?

don't know, never watch'd em. Pretty sure any 'club' or student organization can throw the official K-State logo on their uni. and yeah, not all sports are created equal. Maybe I was bit ambitious saying ALL sports being played at old stadium would be grate, but sports backed by the university are F.) typically a better product U.)get more national exposure C.) better advertised K.) ersfagasfg U.) old stadium

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile

Men's rugby.... Elite
:adios:

Offline jmlynch1

• Katpak'r
  • stay together for the kids
    • View Profile

Men's rugby.... Elite
boring and played by assholes