Author Topic: Venezuela - hay un camino ATTN high international policy iq guys  (Read 3248 times)

Offline ksu_FANw

• Fan
    • View Profile
The election's here - Hoping for a Capriles victory. Chavez was under house arrest while I lived in Venezuela. Unbelievable that they elected him, but 14 years is long enough.

.24/gallon gas means it takes 5 hrs to drive across Caracas because everyone has a car, but they're all out looking for food.

Not an economist or political guru, and _FAN won't break down international policy...

...so if Capriles can't beat him, what happens to gas here? How will we deal with Chavez? What should I expect? If Capriles wins and his Brazilian growth models are implemented, will they work or is there too much cronyism/crime?

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline "storm"nut

• SOCK (outed by The Laundromat)
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Venezuela - hay un camino ATTN high international policy iq guys
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 09:09:35 AM »
Chavez will find a way to win. If he does not, he will go down as the worst dictator of all time.
RIP Fatty

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 09:39:38 AM »
This is a Fitz-job.

if this is high international policy iq - FANw is Oliver North.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 09:44:27 AM by ksu_FAN »

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 09:41:39 AM »
This is a Fitz-job.

if this is high international policy iq - I'm Oliver North.

did you warn FANw about the quality of poster that frequents the Pit?

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 09:44:05 AM »
This is a Fitz-job.

No.

BTW storm, still friends. Just got a little carried away there.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 09:45:48 AM »
This is a Fitz-job.

says the guy with almost 3% of the total Pit posts.
:adios:

Offline "storm"nut

• SOCK (outed by The Laundromat)
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 09:47:54 AM »
This is a Fitz-job.

No.

BTW storm, still friends. Just got a little carried away there. I meant FANw is Ollie North, not me.

Wait what?

Not sure what the Fitz dig means, LfitzdigIQ
RIP Fatty

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
Venezuela - hay un camino ATTN high international policy iq guys
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 10:57:29 AM »
Surprised the CIAs cancer didn't take him out.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 10:58:53 AM »
Surprised the CIAs cancer didn't take him out.

It's a slow killer.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012, 11:11:18 AM »
Not a big expert on the political system in Venezuela but I have read A COUPLE of articles about it in the Economist.

I dont see a way that Chavez loses control of the country, if he loses the election he will either claim it was rigged by America and have a new one or just say F you I'm not leaving, come take the presidency from my cold dead hands.

Either way I think the country is F'd until he dies.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2012, 04:13:38 PM »
chavez will win.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2012, 11:15:56 PM »
This was interesting:

"According to the polls we follow, all the momentum is with Capriles," said Alejandro Grisanti, Barclay Bank's director of Latin America investment research. "In fact, we issued a report this morning saying Capriles will win."
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2012, 11:21:00 PM »
This was interesting:

"According to the polls we follow, all the momentum is with Capriles," said Alejandro Grisanti, Barclay Bank's director of Latin America investment research. "In fact, we issued a report this morning saying Capriles will win."

Probably missing. Chavez will "win".

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2012, 11:24:23 PM »
The election's here - Hoping for a Capriles victory. Chavez was under house arrest while I lived in Venezuela. Unbelievable that they elected him, but 14 years is long enough.

.24/gallon gas means it takes 5 hrs to drive across Caracas because everyone has a car, but they're all out looking for food.

Not an economist or political guru, and _FAN won't break down international policy...

...so if Capriles can't beat him, what happens to gas here? How will we deal with Chavez? What should I expect? If Capriles wins and his Brazilian growth models are implemented, will they work or is there too much cronyism/crime?

I'm a nut for state media in Latam (Its what I used to do). Its fascinating, especially during stuff like this. This is from a company I do business with occasionally: http://www.exovera.com/content/down-stretch-opposition-momentum-leaves-chavez-defensive
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2012, 11:24:59 PM »
This was interesting:

Probably missing. Chavez will "win".

Yeah. I was surprised by that prediction.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2012, 09:12:04 AM »

You probably already saw this, but this is one more reason to believe that Chavez will not allow an upset to happen.

"With a week to go before the election and the ballots all printed, the Venezuelan National Electoral Council (CNE) announced that votes for the Unidad Democratica party will go to a relatively unknown third party candidate (Reina Sequera) even though opposition candidate Henrique Capriles's picture is on the ballot in that spot (h/t Miguel). Additionally, three other spaces on the ballot where Capriles's face appears will be marked as null votes rather than votes for the opposition candidate."

http://www.bloggingsbyboz.com/2012/09/venezuelan-government-begins-stealing.html?m=1

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2012, 01:21:48 PM »
This is a Fitz-job.

says the guy with almost 3% of the total Pit posts.

Considering he has about 25% on every other board, that's pretty damn low.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2012, 02:05:20 PM »
NPR or BBC had a bit last week about opposition candidates being murdered in YC's home district.  Apparently they were moving through or into the area when a crowd stopped them.  A local municipal van (supposedly) went broad side on them when they got out of their transport to see if they would be allowed to move through.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline ksu_FANw

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2012, 05:14:39 PM »
When I lived in Puerto La Cruz, Chavez was under house arrest.  3 years later he was president. My good friend is  the social page editor at Notitarde, a national newspaper. During the last year 2 editors were found dead...amazingly right after each approved a critical article about Chavez.

When I read that Danny Glover was there in support of Chavez today I couldn't believe it. Made me sick, but I suppose Americans have been backing the wrong people in SA for years, and I shouldn't be surprised.

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2012, 11:15:42 PM »
Chavez "wins"

CARACAS, Venezuela (AP) -- Venezuela's electoral council says President Hugo Chavez has won re-election, defeating challenger Henrique Capriles.

National Electoral Council president Tibisay Lucena says that with most votes counted, Chavez had about 54 percent of the vote.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2012, 11:23:37 PM »
When I lived in Puerto La Cruz, Chavez was under house arrest.  3 years later he was president. My good friend is  the social page editor at Notitarde, a national newspaper. During the last year 2 editors were found dead...amazingly right after each approved a critical article about Chavez.

When I read that Danny Glover was there in support of Chavez today I couldn't believe it. Made me sick, but I suppose Americans have been backing the wrong people in SA for years, and I shouldn't be surprised.

Yeah, the Chavez thing with people like Glover and Penn just blows my mind.

On the bright side, over 6 million votes? And an actual concession speech? It sucks for the country and region that Chavez won, but the opposition can still use this as a springboard if they don't eff up they're handling of it.

You know who else is nervous tonight? The general who said he would serve on Capriles' cabinet. No name released for obvious reasons, but Chavez will absolutely try and smoke him (and others) out via a fresh round of purges.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2012, 06:24:29 AM »
People like Penn and Glover are dumber than the people that make it seem like Chavez= Hitler (SEE!  also a regional hegemon ready to threaten the U.S. strategically and militarily!  Also hates Jews!).  But the only reason they are dumber is because they have access to information that should dissuade them from cozying up to Chavez, the other people would never read anything that would provide accurate information.

That said, Chavez was a response to a real problem in Venezuelan politics.  Corruption, a lack of strong public institutions that are trusted and large inequalities.  It never ceases to amaze when you talk to upper middle class Venezuelans (or most latin americans) and hear the plainly racist statements about not only the political opposition, but just people they encounter in everyday life.  Chavez isn't fixing that, he exploited that.  But until some of the sociology and economics get corrected, the parade of caudillos and attractive corporate board men is not going to stop.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2012, 06:37:46 AM »
The same can basically be said for Correa, Morales and most of Chavez's ALBA block. That's one of the reasons Capriles inspired more hope (and even electoral support, even though he lost). He was a more balanced candidate than the opposition had in the past, which made it more difficult for Chavez to paint him as a right-wing corporate nazi (although, in the end, a crushing control of the media still made it possible enough).

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2012, 06:45:31 AM »
The same can basically be said for Correa, Morales and most of Chavez's ALBA block. That's one of the reasons Capriles inspired more hope (and even electoral support, even though he lost). He was a more balanced candidate than the opposition had in the past, which made it more difficult for Chavez to paint him as a right-wing corporate nazi (although, in the end, a crushing control of the media still made it possible enough).

Reading more about Capriles:

1) shocked he's from Caracas, not Zulia
2) Lula endorsing Chavez was shocking at first, then just typical

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2012, 10:55:13 PM »
The fact that so many celebrities support Chavez is a perfect example why celebrity opinions on politics shouldn't just be ignored, but should actually act as a guide on how not to vote.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd