Author Topic: Frank  (Read 35067 times)

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
Re: Frank
« Reply #100 on: December 18, 2014, 11:30:54 PM »
Emotionally Frank is better off being a nomad coach. It isn't our problem.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 19, 2014, 12:00:41 AM »

Frank would have kept the ship a float, but he was starting to have a few leaks, and was going to spend a lot of time trying to patch it up and push the water overboard. His recruiting was so, so. Angel was great tho.

What were the leaks? His recruiting was improving.
His offensive schemes were struggling once Pullen left. He struggled in managing "his own players" at times. Also, Pullens last year was an embarrassment under his watch. He totally mismanaged that season. Also, he crumbled once Currie called him out on the Samuels issue. He pointed fingers, instead of taking acceptance. Totally against what he preached. He had to rely on Underwood to take over the offense. He had a lot of team issues in house and his recruits were underwhelming. We almost had moose for Christ sakes who is shameful for USC. He panicked and jumped ship cause times were getting tough and he thought his boss was a meany for playing by the rule book. :Ugh:

He had one year after Pullen left and the offense was about the same (see ching's graph). Letting Underwood take over the offense was an AWESOME move. His recruiting was improving - beat out good teams for Angel and Upshaw. You're right about him kinda being a pussy about leaving, though.

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 19, 2014, 12:02:57 AM »
Whatever. I hope that Brad gets the chance to come home.

Offline uncle clean jeans

• hygienic role model
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 19, 2014, 12:03:23 AM »
Worst case we lose Will, keep angel and frank.  Would take.
We would of lost Angel a year earlier. Shane and Nino would of been franked. Will would of transferred.

Where the eff do you guys come up with this crap?
Leticia Romero's statement about Angel puts Franks departure in a new light, it indicates the KSU AD isn't on the up and up when it comes to granting transfers to the atheletes it wants to keep. If Art or anyone else did want a transfer under Frank, Currie basically had to grant it on the grounds that Frank was/is a maniac. However, letting Frank go could give the athletic department much more leverage to retain good players on the grounds they "try it out" for at least a season. We know with certainty Shane and Will were gone if Frank stayed. If Art was ready to get out Frank's departure may very well have let Currie get one more year out of him.

I think anyone who believes Frank could have stayed at KSU more than one year max is being a bit naive, and again, if losing half the roster was the price it wouldn't have been worth it (for the record I love Frank). I don't like John Currie, but bringing in a new coach at that moment may have been the wisest possible decision and that's what he did. That said, as long as he's the guy hiring coaches I think we're screwed.

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 19, 2014, 12:05:34 AM »
 :facepalm:

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 19, 2014, 12:11:19 AM »
When you have reservations about whether K-State's best coach in decades can keep it going, combined with oscar WEBER having just been fired into the open market, it's really a no-brainer to make that move.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 19, 2014, 12:18:23 AM »
If it's meant to be, he'll come back.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 19, 2014, 02:05:57 AM »
Hating on oscar for what this team is doing now is warranted and deserved, but discounting a league title for your own school because you don't like the coach seems really dumb.
That might be the saddest thing about all of this.  The best two years in 'modern' KSU BBall are downplayed from either side.  The ones who dislike Frank crap on the elite 8 run, and those who bemoan the hiring of oscar run down the league title.

Yeah, its strange. I guess I'm one of the few that count the Elite 8 and the Big 12 title as the best 2 K-State basketball seasons I've experienced. To me K-State basketball has always been bigger than the coach whether I like him or not. I really liked Frank a lot and the brand he meant for K-State while he was here and it was a lot of fun, but he's never coming back. Granted, I'll pay more attention to what he does than some other SEC basketball coach, but I'm not going to care that much either way about his successes or failures.

Forgive my language, but all of three of these posts are total bullshit. No one is discounting a Big 12 title and there isn't a defined line on this board of people who love Frank and hate oscar and will never accept him. There is nothing wrong with stating that you enjoyed the Elite 8 year better than the conference championship year. I mean the regular seasons  and Big 12 tournament were identical, but K-State didn't lose at home to ISU in '13 and Kansas didn't gag the last night of the '10 season. The lasting impression or each season was a run to the Elite 8 in '10 and what essentially was a home loss to Lasalle in '13. So if you're asking what people are going to prefer, of course they will trade a home win against McNeck's ISU team to all that came with the Elite 8 run. No one is giving back that Big 12 trophy but we all know what it was, right? Let's not pretend that was some awe-inspiring feat.

The only people drawing lines are wacky and dax, it happens time after time after time. We can't talk about the guy who was the most successful basketball coach in our basketball watching lifetimes here because two posters have been having a three year long temper tantrum.  Why won't you guys just call them out for being ass hats instead of pretending like the posters on this board fit on two sides of a line that exclude the two of you? I have literally yet to see the poster on here advocate for giving that Big 12 championship back. I'm guessing it would have been looked more favorably upon if we didn't lose the day we won it, KU didn't kick our asses three times, and we didn't have to rely on Baylor after everyone had given up hope.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 19, 2014, 07:17:20 AM »
oscar webber would of one the title with angle last year, fact

Would of, could of, should of...

Unbelievable

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 19, 2014, 07:27:41 AM »
Right before my post was this one, I just didn't quote it. It seems a lot like saying the league title was pretty worthless mostly because EMAWican doesn't like oscar.

It took a fluke loss (KU @WVU) for Weber to "earn" his Big XII Championship because he couldn't earn it with his coaching or by winning.

Also, I never said anyone should enjoy one over the other. I thought the Elite 8 was more fun than the league title as well, but winning the league even under the circumstances was fun because it hasn't happened in so long. The disappointing part of that season for me was getting La Salled.

Offline EMAWican

• Katpak'r
  • 'Murica
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 19, 2014, 08:15:26 AM »
I enjoyed the Big XII championship and wasn't critical of oscar that year until after La Salle. You're right that I don't like oscar at KSU FANman. After that year I realized how much of a losery way it was to win a Dr. Pepper, in my opinion. The Elite 8 run was tangible in that I could be a part of the games, and winning determined the end result. Yes, oscar's team was enjoyable to watch that year, but at the end it left a metallic taste in my mouth that we had to rely on another team to give us a Dr. P because we couldn't take it for ourselves. And co-champs with a team that we couldn't even beat once just makes that metallic taste progress into a stroke.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 19, 2014, 08:41:02 AM »

Frank would have kept the ship a float, but he was starting to have a few leaks, and was going to spend a lot of time trying to patch it up and push the water overboard. His recruiting was so, so. Angel was great tho.

What were the leaks? His recruiting was improving.
His offensive schemes were struggling once Pullen left. He struggled in managing "his own players" at times. Also, Pullens last year was an embarrassment under his watch. He totally mismanaged that season. Also, he crumbled once Currie called him out on the Samuels issue. He pointed fingers, instead of taking acceptance. Totally against what he preached. He had to rely on Underwood to take over the offense. He had a lot of team issues in house and his recruits were underwhelming. We almost had moose for Christ sakes who is shameful for USC. He panicked and jumped ship cause times were getting tough and he thought his boss was a meany for playing by the rule book. :Ugh:

He had one year after Pullen left and the offense was about the same (see ching's graph). Letting Underwood take over the offense was an AWESOME move. His recruiting was improving - beat out good teams for Angel and Upshaw. You're right about him kinda being a pussy about leaving, though.
Fair.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 19, 2014, 08:51:46 AM »
I enjoyed the Big XII championship and wasn't critical of oscar that year until after La Salle. You're right that I don't like oscar at KSU FANman. After that year I realized how much of a losery way it was to win a Dr. Pepper, in my opinion. The Elite 8 run was tangible in that I could be a part of the games, and winning determined the end result. Yes, oscar's team was enjoyable to watch that year, but at the end it left a metallic taste in my mouth that we had to rely on another team to give us a Dr. P because we couldn't take it for ourselves. And co-champs with a team that we couldn't even beat once just makes that metallic taste progress into a stroke.
That's fair. I'm more patient than most, but I'm wavering on oscar as well.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 19, 2014, 08:51:47 AM »
That's fair. I'm more patient than most, but I'm wavering on oscar as well.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 19, 2014, 09:58:46 AM »
I'm still stunned at cRusty's Robert Upshaw nail and hanging Frank's recruiting coat on it.

How many schools backed off because they knew they'd never get him in?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 19, 2014, 10:51:36 AM »
I'm still stunned at cRusty's Robert Upshaw nail and hanging Frank's recruiting coat on it.

How many schools backed off because they knew they'd never get him in?

none

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 19, 2014, 10:57:13 AM »
Are we ready to call Robert Upshaw a good recruit tho? I mean, I know he's on the rise this year, but his numbers will be pretty comparable to Hurt.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/players/116424/

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 19, 2014, 10:58:37 AM »
Are we ready to call Robert Upshaw a good recruit tho?

yes

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 19, 2014, 10:59:27 AM »
Are we ready to call Robert Upshaw a good recruit tho? I mean, I know he's on the rise this year, but his numbers will be pretty comparable to Hurt.

"It was heartbreaking," Sherman said. "We had taken our time to look for a perfect fit for Rob, and Kansas State was everything we were looking for. We were ready to move to Kansas. We were ready. It was frustrating when it happened because we were going to Kansas State because of Frank Martin. Once he left, we had to open the recruitment back up."

Good job, Frank!  :thumbs:

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 19, 2014, 11:32:58 AM »

upshaw leads the country in blocked shot %, hurt is the only ncaa player listed at 6'10" and over to not record a single blocked shot.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: December 19, 2014, 11:45:21 AM »
No Upshaw home games while Gooch is in town next month.  We could've worn Frank shirts and waved a pak head.  :frown:

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 19, 2014, 11:55:04 AM »

How are these in any way comparable to Hurt?

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/compare?add=robert-upshaw&p1=stephen-hurt

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 19, 2014, 12:01:45 PM »

How are these in any way comparable to Hurt?

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/compare?add=robert-upshaw&p1=stephen-hurt
Cause Hurt hit a three.  :gocho:

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 19, 2014, 12:14:24 PM »
i think the thing i dislike about fanning is that he doesn't seem to realize how stupid he is.  how can he not know?
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 19, 2014, 12:21:19 PM »
rebounding rates are comparable