Author Topic: goEMAW armchair Coaches Corner, post a question.  (Read 5423 times)

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
Re: goEMAW armchair Coaches Corner, post a question.
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2017, 10:25:56 AM »
I know :frown:

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2017, 06:04:19 AM »
I recently read Oscar wants to use a pro style motion offense like the NBA Warriors.  Coach, could you please explain what this means.  Do we have players that can execute it?  We have very very smart players, is that helpful?  Does having depth help?  Is this style of offense too hard for newbies?  Do you make players fit into your scheme as a coach, or do you find and use a scheme that befit the talent of your players?

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2017, 06:59:59 AM »
I told you this team was deep. Happy other ppl are seeing this as well. Just need to overcome our bigs.
Having lots of bad bigs doesn't make us deep there. Legitimately deep in the backcourt, but I wouldn't say we are deep as a whole.
:adios:

Offline cat97

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2017, 07:41:14 AM »
Not sure what bad things others have seen from our bigs.  Mawien only plays 4 minutes last night due to foul trouble and Sallah came in and went for 11 points and 9 rebounds in 20 minutes. Showed a nice mid range jump shot.  Stockard with 4 points and 4 rebounds in 10 minutes.   Can't judge them good or bad til we see them against high level competition but we already know Sallah had 13 rebounds against ISU last year.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2017, 08:17:18 AM »
Not sure what bad things others have seen from our bigs.  Mawien only plays 4 minutes last night due to foul trouble and Sallah came in and went for 11 points and 9 rebounds in 20 minutes. Showed a nice mid range jump shot.  Stockard with 4 points and 4 rebounds in 10 minutes.   Can't judge them good or bad til we see them against high level competition but we already know Sallah had 13 rebounds against ISU last year.

I need to see the bigs show something against legitimate competition. We'll know more after the Thanksgiving tournament with 2 decent games.

It looks like Wade and Sneed are poised to take a big step this year, but I'm not sure Brown and Stokes are going to make a big jump. Diarra and Wainright look like guys that can help on the perimeter, but we probably need one to be really good. We can live without a really dominant big if everyone else really steps up, but that's yet to be seen. Mawein and Sallah are going to have some growing pains at this level.

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2017, 10:14:53 AM »

I need to see the bigs show something against legitimate competition. We'll know more after the Thanksgiving tournament with 2 decent games.

It looks like Wade and Sneed are poised to take a big step this year, but I'm not sure Brown and Stokes are going to make a big jump. Diarra and Wainright look like guys that can help on the perimeter, but we probably need one to be really good. We can live without a really dominant big if everyone else really steps up, but that's yet to be seen. Mawein and Sallah are going to have some growing pains at this level.

Playing next to Dean at the 5 is really easy when he is attacking. I don't think the competition is a big factor for Sallah or Mawien, it isn't like they are taking their guys. Question will be what happens when Dean becomes the focal point of the defense.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2017, 10:25:23 AM »
Playing next to Dean at the 5 is really easy when he is attacking. I don't think the competition is a big factor for Sallah or Mawien, it isn't like they are taking their guys. Question will be what happens when Dean becomes the focal point of the defense.

That's fair for the bigs. My biggest concern is their ability to rebound against physical bigs. They don't have to be feature players, but they have to give us something.

IMO if/when Wade becomes the focal point, that's where Kam and Brown must step up and why a 1-8 night against a poor defensive team from Kam concerns me. Also, Sneed can help with that; Wade and Sneed can be a pretty solid 1-2 scoring punch for the Cats. The problem with that is that neither Barry or Kam are shy about shooting the ball.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2017, 10:25:45 AM »
I told you this team was deep. Happy other ppl are seeing this as well. Just need to overcome our bigs.
Having lots of bad bigs doesn't make us deep there. Legitimately deep in the backcourt, but I wouldn't say we are deep as a whole.
We can role out a Villanova lite team this year and make the tourney. I think Wade and Sneed can get us by.

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2017, 10:50:47 AM »

It seemed like in the American game, Wade had better chemistry with Mawein than with Sallah.  When they converged on Claws he made good passes to Mawein for dinkers.  Mawein is very mobile.  I was at a  meeting last night so I missed the game.  I read Claws was not aggressive.  Was this due to not being comfortable with Sallah who played most of the minutes?  Just think about what happened last year when DJamer got into foul trouble.  Think what kind of team we would have without Mawein and Sallah.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2017, 11:09:01 AM »
This time of year, our bigs should be absolutely dominating smaller and less skilled players.  As FAN said, we won't know anything until the Vegas tournament.  I have a hard time believing this team will replace Wes and DJamer's production for what was the bubbliest of tournament bids.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2017, 11:19:09 AM »
Dean and Sneed have been making up for that. Our rebounding has been fine. https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/kansas-state/2018.html

87 vs 51 seems like domination to me so far.  :dunno:

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2017, 02:24:34 PM »
Dean and Sneed have been making up for that. Our rebounding has been fine. https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/kansas-state/2018.html

87 vs 51 seems like domination to me so far.  :dunno:

They're doing fine.  I'm just saying that it doesn't mean much yet.  The biggest gap between P5 teams and others is usually skill and size of the post players.  Bennett and Colon had plenty of good games against this level of competition so I'm not terribly excited yet.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2017, 03:23:14 PM »
To be fair, I do constantly have to remind myself that teams with dominant bigs are far and few between anymore in college basketball. KU looks to have their usual studs, but I'm not sure anyone else in the league does.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2017, 04:30:48 PM »
To be fair, I do constantly have to remind myself that teams with dominant bigs are far and few between anymore in college basketball. KU looks to have their usual studs, but I'm not sure anyone else in the league does.

Agreed.  I just always feel like there are big gaps in between talent levels of bigs.  Like when HenRob dominated LaSalle, you could see the differences but against Big 12 competition, he was very average.  Occasionally you get an Oden or Cousins but a lot of times the NBA drafts anybody with size and potential young enough that they haven't developed early enough to effect college much (i.e. Deandre Jordan).  KU does well getting four year guys that aren't quite good enough to get the lottery spot and leave early.

Offline cat97

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2017, 06:02:35 PM »

It seemed like in the American game, Wade had better chemistry with Mawein than with Sallah.  When they converged on Claws he made good passes to Mawein for dinkers.  Mawein is very mobile.  I was at a  meeting last night so I missed the game.  I read Claws was not aggressive.  Was this due to not being comfortable with Sallah who played most of the minutes?  Just think about what happened last year when DJamer got into foul trouble.  Think what kind of team we would have without Mawein and Sallah.
  No, the issue was Wade got quick double teams early in the game and turned it over a couple of times.  Took him a little time to find the best way to attack them.  Sallah got his points mostly with follows off of missed lay ups by the guards.  He also showed the ability to hit a jump shot from the free throw line off a feed from Wade.  Going to be fun and interesting during the non con to see which of these guys has the most game and fits in best with the other players on the floow.

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2017, 12:21:51 PM »
In the upcoming game with the N AZ Lumberjacks, a poor team, what should we try to accomplish and what do we do to prepare for the Vegas tournament?

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2017, 09:31:33 PM »
In the upcoming game with the N AZ Lumberjacks, a poor team, what should we try to accomplish and what do we do to prepare for the Vegas tournament?

Feed Mawien and Sallah to get them comfortable in the paint, we know that X can turn it on when needed and we need to worry about shot selection from our guards. Also free throws will be the difference maker when it comes to hopefully close games in vegas.
“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline gatoveintisiete

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cold Ass Honkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2017, 09:37:33 PM »
 :love:
it’s not like I’m tired of WINNING, but dude, let me catch my breath.

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2017, 11:34:02 PM »
For awhile Oscar had Mawien playing power forward and Sallah as post.  What do you think of starting these 2, and bringing Wade off the bench? 

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2017, 09:14:15 AM »
For awhile Oscar had Mawien playing power forward and Sallah as post.  What do you think of starting these 2, and bringing Wade off the bench?

Why would you bench one of your top 3 players?

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2017, 12:28:20 PM »
We have 4 players averaging double digit points per game.  Is this good?  If so why? How many times has a player scored 20+ in a game?