Author Topic: Deep Thoughts (shower thoughts ok too but no Pit stuff)  (Read 12126 times)

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
Re: Deep Thoughts (shower thoughts ok too but no Pit stuff)
« Reply #400 on: May 03, 2024, 06:54:19 PM »
Shifting subjects ...

Defense. Offense. If a defensive player is defending, an offensive player is ... offending?

I think technically that is correct. One of the few language quirks the brits get right is usually referring to offense as "attackers". I think it's cleaner for grammatical parallelism:

Defenders vs. attackers
Defend vs. attack
on the defense vs. on the attack

etc.

defense vs. offense really only works as an action when it's "on the defensive vs. on the offensive" - "defending vs. offending" doesn't work like you said.

I think they also get the spirit of subject-verb agreement correct in the sports context. We say "K.C. (Chiefs) is," whereas they would say "K.C. are." You're talking about a whole group of people, not a literal single location. I'm also bugged by people saying "the data is," because "data" is the plural form of datum. But I realize I'm fighting uphill on that, me boys. And it's not a hill I'm willing to die on.

I’m with you there. It’s nonsensical to be looking at a group of 50 people and not saying they are

Cheers! It makes no sense to say "Kansas City is driving down the field" versus saying "the Chiefs are driving down the field." What's the difference, conceptually? Seems like a slavish devotion to grade school grammar that wasn't even correct in the first place.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: May 03, 2024, 06:54:53 PM »
When you drop the team name, you're referring to a city/club which is singular

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: May 03, 2024, 07:11:18 PM »

Yeah, I addressed that and called it "slavish devotion to grade school grammar." Conceptually, it makes more sense (IMO) to treat subjects as singular or plural based on a more erudite perspective. I'll stick to the supposed "rules" of American English for professional purposes, but I do believe the English have the better of the argument as it relates to subject-verb agreement. What is the difference between "Kansas City is ..." versus "the Chiefs are ..." when referring to what a 54-man roster are doing?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: May 03, 2024, 07:12:55 PM »

Yeah, I addressed that and called it "slavish devotion to grade school grammar." Conceptually, it makes more sense (IMO) to treat subjects as singular or plural based on a more erudite perspective. I'll stick to the supposed "rules" of American English for professional purposes, but I do believe the English have the better of the argument as it relates to subject-verb agreement. What is the difference between "Kansas City is ..." versus "the Chiefs are ..." when referring to what a 54-man roster are doing?

A roster is singular, plus it sounds better to say "roster is"

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: May 03, 2024, 07:25:26 PM »

A roster is singular, plus it sounds better to say "roster is"

Like I said: stuff you're taught is "correct" in grade school. Open your mind, me boy. I was also taught in grade school I had to learn cursive because I'd have to write my college exams in it. Turns out that was untrue, too. Open your mind, me boy!