Author Topic: I think the Missouri football players just went on strike  (Read 93052 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: I think the Missouri football players just went on strike
« Reply #1000 on: November 12, 2015, 05:57:02 PM »
If that's true what you said, than I'm sorry, but that's not how this works, not at all.

i'm more interested in michigancat's inability (or reluctance) to process her opinion than i am interested in her opinion.
I just thought the headline was misleading when I read the article. According to your summary, it apparently wasn't.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: November 12, 2015, 06:00:08 PM »
why did you think the headline was misleading?
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: November 12, 2015, 06:14:38 PM »
also, the professor that said he would still be holding an exam this morning has resigned.

http://www.barstoolsports.com/barstoolu/missouri-professor-resigns-after-he-is-pressured-to-cancel-an-exam-due-to-campus-tensions/

barstoolsports.com presented the professor's resignation as if he was disgusted with administrative pressure to reschedule the test and resigned in protest.  today it is reported that his resignation was not accepted, implying that he resigned because he thought, or was pressured to feel, that he behaved inappropriately and needed to resign as a pr move (or because he, or someone superior to him, genuinely felt that his presence damaged the university).  brief comments also support the latter interpretation.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/missouri-professor-resigns-after-telling-students-not-let-bullies-win-n461686
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: November 12, 2015, 06:24:05 PM »
I read "they" as reporters talking about their first amendment rights.

“I personally am tired of hearing that First Amendment rights protect students when they are creating a hostile and unsafe learning environment for myself and for other students here.

I don't think it's a significant story either way. She's a student talking on TV for possibly the first time.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: November 12, 2015, 06:34:41 PM »
I read "they" as reporters talking about their first amendment rights.

“I personally am tired of hearing that First Amendment rights protect students when they are creating a hostile and unsafe learning environment for myself and for other students here.

i think she was.  at least including them among others.  the student reporters/photographers that were confronted the other day.

I don't think it's a significant story either way. She's a student talking on TV for possibly the first time.

well, student vice president and one of the protestors.  it's not unfair to assume she represents more people than just herself

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1005 on: November 12, 2015, 06:36:42 PM »
That's fair.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: November 12, 2015, 06:56:22 PM »
also, the professor that said he would still be holding an exam this morning has resigned.

http://www.barstoolsports.com/barstoolu/missouri-professor-resigns-after-he-is-pressured-to-cancel-an-exam-due-to-campus-tensions/

barstoolsports.com presented the professor's resignation as if he was disgusted with administrative pressure to reschedule the test and resigned in protest.  today it is reported that his resignation was not accepted, implying that he resigned because he thought, or was pressured to feel, that he behaved inappropriately and needed to resign as a pr move (or because he, or someone superior to him, genuinely felt that his presence damaged the university).  brief comments also support the latter interpretation.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/missouri-professor-resigns-after-telling-students-not-let-bullies-win-n461686

that's pretty much the timeline of how i interpreted it too. at first i thought he was just pissed, but now it seems like he just thought he overstepped and felt bad about it. but, as with everything else in this stupid rough ridin' thing, who knows.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: November 12, 2015, 08:17:35 PM »
You had the student body president spreading false and malicious lies on social media . . . but yes, let's dismiss all talk of any type of manipulation.

Perspective is interesting isn't it. There are a faction of people who thinks the student body president spread "false and malicious lies" on social media. Sidebar, interesting bit of irony turning the singular tweet about the KKK into multiple lies told without the least bit of awareness. Anyway, and a faction of people who think he passed on bad information he got about the klan being on campus, because God knows no one has ever passed on bad info on twitter.

You're right about one thing dax, that incorrect tweet, just one tweet dax let's not exaggerate here buddy okay, that's bad. That one incorrect tweet is a game changer exposes all of these pc libtards as frauds.

Oh yeah, that's what I'm saying, it's all a fraud, MIR the master of the hyperbolic is going to MIR.   None-the-less, one "incorrect tweet" of that inflammatory nature is extremely serious in these circumstances.   Don't try and downplay it just because it was twitter, social media as you well know spreads almost exponentially in minutes, sometimes seconds.

I haven't turned that into "multiple lies" but it clearly points to how easily people can be manipulated . . . within a matter of seconds to a few short minutes, thousands, probably millions of people thought the KKK was running amok on the MU campus.   It caused law enforcement and security to potentially be pulled off other protective duties to investigate. 

Perspective and ramifications, even if its just "one tweet".

Dax, the quote right up there has you saying that he told lies, those are your words, so why are you accusing anyone else of hyperbole? In both of your posts I have quoted above you are guilty hyperbole at best but likely you are just a pathological liar because you can't stop doing it even in the course of calling other people liars. Can you substantiate this;
within a matter of seconds to a few short minutes, thousands, probably millions of people thought the KKK was running amok on the MU campus.   It caused law enforcement and security to potentially be pulled off other protective duties to investigate.
If so that's amazing, being it's the first I ever heard about it in this way.

I challenge you to type a post in this thread longer than 25 words where you aren't exaggerating the actual truth. I would say I believe in you but I'd be guilty of lying myself.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: November 12, 2015, 08:39:30 PM »
http://www.mediaite.com/tv/mizzou-student-vp-1st-amendment-creates-hostile-and-unsafe-learning-environment/
smdh.
I have been kind of taking this all in and keeping an open mind but now I am starting to get a little pissed off.

Can you or someone else please tell me why this is so upsetting? I mean the first amendment has been around for 226 years and literally every single day since someone has said something that is disparaging or contrary to what is stated in the first amendment. There has been nothing said that possesses a significant threat to free speech. In your head make up the most inflammatory thing anyone can say about the first amendment, now tell me what affect or effect, both apply, that these inflammatory words would have on anyone?

I heard Kevin Keitzman's monologue yesterday and heard him say that everyone that went to journalism school would be really offended by the attempt to silence the media, he actually strongly hinted that everyone at WHB were more offended by that than the "racial stuff." Well I went to j school and I couldn't give two shits about these people with no power to actually silence the media complaining about the media.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: November 12, 2015, 08:44:41 PM »
I have also greatly enjoyed this week seeing people lose their shits over college students stopping a guy from taking pictures from one location and other college students complaining about the media when a year ago the same people pissed off now we're making excuses for the police's treatment of the media in Ferguson.

Get arrested for doing your job, that's cool, get out of McDonald's like you were told. Say you don't want the media around asking you questions and being intrusive, HOW DARE YOU!!!

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: November 12, 2015, 09:12:29 PM »
Did Wolfe publicly admit to his white male privilege prior to quitting?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: November 12, 2015, 09:14:12 PM »
Did Wolfe publicly admit to his white male privilege prior to quitting?

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: November 12, 2015, 09:19:26 PM »
I understood that to be an either-or situation.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: November 12, 2015, 09:25:17 PM »
I understood that to be an either-or situation.

I mean it got its own specific numbered point, I guess he probably didn't apologize for running into those people either then.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: November 12, 2015, 09:31:43 PM »
I have also greatly enjoyed this week seeing people lose their shits over college students stopping a guy from taking pictures from one location and other college students complaining about the media when a year ago the same people pissed off now we're making excuses for the police's treatment of the media in Ferguson.
I was actually considering going to ferguson last year to let people know their rights but eventually thought better of it.

Can you or someone else please tell me why this is so upsetting? I mean the first amendment has been around for 226 years and literally every single day since someone has said something that is disparaging or contrary to what is stated in the first amendment. There has been nothing said that possesses a significant threat to free speech. In your head make up the most inflammatory thing anyone can say about the first amendment, now tell me what affect or effect, both apply, that these inflammatory words would have on anyone?
There's been a ton of misinformation spread over the last few days about free speech rights.  Just yesterday you and RATM were telling people that universities could rightly expel students for "hate speech" (good luck defining that) in a public forum.  That's wrong and spreading that falsehood quells not just hate speech, but controversial speech in general (at least that's the theory according to first amendment jurisprudence).  The police at MU sent a campus wide email telling students to call them if they were offended by students' speech so the police could "report them to the university."  That's incredibly mumped up. 

Just because you "don't give two shits" about this aspect of what's happening at MU doesn't mean others don't or that it's not important.

And not for nothin, but I agree with the underlying point of what this CS1950 movement is all about!  Black people should be treated better on college campuses!  I just think that it's important that people don't get swept up in stupid bullshit falsehoods and patently illegal messages from the police department that infringe on others' constitutional rights.  And guess what -- the damn ACLU feels the same way. http://www.aclu-mo.org/newsviews/
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 11:06:42 PM by Dlew12 »

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #1015 on: November 12, 2015, 09:37:06 PM »
Has it been noted anywhere that the entire MU campus only recently (in the last year or so) was designated as a free speech zone? (i.e., the campus chose not to designate the time, place and manner for speech)

Just adds to the irony of the neo fascist "safe zone" in the middle of the rough ridin' public square.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: November 12, 2015, 10:16:06 PM »
You had the student body president spreading false and malicious lies on social media . . . but yes, let's dismiss all talk of any type of manipulation.

Perspective is interesting isn't it. There are a faction of people who thinks the student body president spread "false and malicious lies" on social media. Sidebar, interesting bit of irony turning the singular tweet about the KKK into multiple lies told without the least bit of awareness. Anyway, and a faction of people who think he passed on bad information he got about the klan being on campus, because God knows no one has ever passed on bad info on twitter.

You're right about one thing dax, that incorrect tweet, just one tweet dax let's not exaggerate here buddy okay, that's bad. That one incorrect tweet is a game changer exposes all of these pc libtards as frauds.

Oh yeah, that's what I'm saying, it's all a fraud, MIR the master of the hyperbolic is going to MIR.   None-the-less, one "incorrect tweet" of that inflammatory nature is extremely serious in these circumstances.   Don't try and downplay it just because it was twitter, social media as you well know spreads almost exponentially in minutes, sometimes seconds.

I haven't turned that into "multiple lies" but it clearly points to how easily people can be manipulated . . . within a matter of seconds to a few short minutes, thousands, probably millions of people thought the KKK was running amok on the MU campus.   It caused law enforcement and security to potentially be pulled off other protective duties to investigate. 

Perspective and ramifications, even if its just "one tweet".

Dax, the quote right up there has you saying that he told lies, those are your words, so why are you accusing anyone else of hyperbole? In both of your posts I have quoted above you are guilty hyperbole at best but likely you are just a pathological liar because you can't stop doing it even in the course of calling other people liars. Can you substantiate this;
within a matter of seconds to a few short minutes, thousands, probably millions of people thought the KKK was running amok on the MU campus.   It caused law enforcement and security to potentially be pulled off other protective duties to investigate.
If so that's amazing, being it's the first I ever heard about it in this way.

I challenge you to type a post in this thread longer than 25 words where you aren't exaggerating the actual truth. I would say I believe in you but I'd be guilty of lying myself.

Laughable.   So he didn't post this to twitter? "The KKK has been confirmed to be on campus"

This isn't some punk frat boy from LaDue, it's the student body president saying this on social media in the midst of a charged situation.

You can spin and twist it all want you MIR.  It was an outright lie, and dangerous.   The pics I've seen of the actual tweet as posted by other people on twitter retweeting, had the retweeting counts of the retweeters of 68-75-85 times.    The FB post saying the same was shared over 500 plus times from his page, the guy has nearly 7,000 follower on Twitter. 

« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 10:35:52 PM by sonofdaxjones »

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: November 12, 2015, 10:19:41 PM »
 Someone get dlew some bodybags
:adios:

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: November 12, 2015, 10:24:04 PM »
I was actually considering going to ferguson last year to let people know their rights but eventually thought better of it.

Which rights did you think they were unaware of?

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: November 12, 2015, 10:26:14 PM »

First amendment stuff -- assembling, freedom of the press, etc.  I had this weird notion that some people didn't know how much protection they were afforded under the first amendment. 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1020 on: November 12, 2015, 10:48:23 PM »

First amendment stuff -- assembling, freedom of the press, etc.  I had this weird notion that some people didn't know how much protection they were afforded under the first amendment.

Well, luckily they made it through somehow.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: November 12, 2015, 11:05:00 PM »

Uhh..yeah i guess so?
http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2015/3/4/Justice-says-Ferguson-police-violated-1st-amendment-rights.html

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: November 12, 2015, 11:15:40 PM »

There's been a ton of misinformation spread over the last few days about free speech rights.  Just yesterday you and RATM were telling people that universities could rightly expel students for "hate speech" (good luck defining that) in a public forum.  That's wrong and spreading that falsehood quells not just hate speech, but controversial speech in general (at least that's the theory according to first amendment jurisprudence).  The police at MU sent a campus wide email telling students to call them if they were offended by students' speech so the police could "report them to the university."  That's incredibly mumped up. 

Just because you "don't give two shits" about this aspect of what's happening at MU doesn't mean others don't or that it's not important.

And not for nothin, but I agree with the underlying point of what this CS1950 movement is all about!  Black people should be treated better on college campuses!  I just think that it's important that people don't get swept up in stupid bullshit falsehoods and patently illegal messages from the student government and police department that infringe on others' constitutional rights.  And guess what -- the damn ACLU feels the same way. http://www.aclu-mo.org/newsviews/

1. I said a university can expel/suspend someone for hate speech, because it's happened and it's happened more than once, you argued the legality of that. I never disagreed with your assessment of weather it's legal or illegal it is only that it has happened. I'm not sure what that has to do with what I asked.
2. That message from the police department is in no way an infringement on anyone's rights, you are being incredibly hysterical for even suggesting it. People itt gave you a good reason why in the current climate at that school why the cops should be around if someone feels unsafe. If someone is walking alone and a guy comes up to them with a crowbar in their hands and says "whatcha up to n-word" they should just keep beeboping along like everything is gucci? What do you care if the UMPD wants to create extra work for themselves? It's been two days since that happened and we have had no reports of cops telling people what they can and can't say.
3. You took exception to me saying I didn't care about that lady telling that dude to back up to take pictures or that other lady saying she was annoyed by the first amendment, which is fine I guess. I didn't say you shouldn't be mad, I'm just wondering why you seem so heated. The next time an athlete or celeb shields their face from a camera will it be met with the same level of righteous indignation?
4.I'm not at all sure why you posted the aclu link, I haven't read anyone on here excusing anyone taking away the rights of someone else away. Did I miss someone advocating for Melissa Click or anyone saying Mark Schibecker and Tim Tai were wrong? Was there another case where someone's first amendment rights were stripped that I missed?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: November 12, 2015, 11:18:25 PM »

Uhh..yeah i guess so?
http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2015/3/4/Justice-says-Ferguson-police-violated-1st-amendment-rights.html

Are you saying that they needed help with understanding what their rights were? That was one of the issues central to the actual protests, the police trampling on their right to assemble and dissent.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: November 12, 2015, 11:29:32 PM »
Getting unlawfully arrested is not a sign that you don't know your rights. It's a sign that the police don't know your rights.