Author Topic: I think the Missouri football players just went on strike  (Read 93046 times)

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
Re: I think the Missouri football players just went on strike
« Reply #425 on: November 10, 2015, 09:59:56 AM »

Asking anyone to publicly affirm their white privilege is rough ridin' asinine

I tend to agree, but I understand why they put that provision in

So you agree it is stupid but understand why they put it in? That sounds stupid
:adios:

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: November 10, 2015, 10:01:41 AM »
I've been thinking about blocking reporters. Is this really a first amendment issue? Are athletic trainers that block cameras with towels while an injured player is being treated violating the first amendment?

The use of public space issue is tricky. What is the precedence for things like keeping simultaneous opposing protests separate? I honestly don't know.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: November 10, 2015, 10:02:32 AM »
Why?

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: November 10, 2015, 10:04:33 AM »
Why?
Well, in this case in particular. It would be pretty crazy to do that to random Joe's walking down the street.

Online DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: November 10, 2015, 10:05:54 AM »
Are athletic trainers that block cameras with towels while an injured player is being treated violating the first amendment?
Those aren't public places.  MU's quad is.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: November 10, 2015, 10:06:33 AM »
Are athletic trainers that block cameras with towels while an injured player is being treated violating the first amendment?
A stadium isn't a public place?

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: November 10, 2015, 10:06:45 AM »
I've been thinking about blocking reporters. Is this really a first amendment issue? Are athletic trainers that block cameras with towels while an injured player is being treated violating the first amendment?

The use of public space issue is tricky. What is the precedence for things like keeping simultaneous opposing protests separate? I honestly don't know.

I'm sure the legality is on the presses side, but common decency to not photograph people who don't want to be photographed should have some weight. I doubt many people would be outraged if some creep was blocked from taking pictures of children in swimsuits
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: November 10, 2015, 10:07:18 AM »

It's not that tricky. Public space is open to the public, and anyone with a camera is free to photograph or film anything that takes place there.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: November 10, 2015, 10:08:33 AM »

It's not that tricky. Public space is open to the public, and anyone with a camera is free to photograph or film anything that takes place there.
He could still take photos and say whatever he wanted. They just were blocking him from going wherever he wanted.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: November 10, 2015, 10:08:59 AM »
Can we all just admit that being the President of Mizzou would be a super rough ridin' tough job. It's like Alabama 60 years ago. They're absolutely lost, their sports are in the gutter, and everyone hates eachother at that school. However, I guess they have some sweet pizza place, so there's that!

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: November 10, 2015, 10:09:23 AM »

While one could argue that on a college campus a football stadium is a public space, there are also provisions that keep unauthorized people off the field and it's highly likely when the press agrees to accept their credentials to be on the sidelines they agree to abide by certain rules and standards.   In the case of K-State, the gameday operations come under the jurisdiction of K-State Athletics Incorporated who of course yield to law enforcement in regards to certain issues.    I think one could reasonably say that K-State Athletics is allowed by charter (for lack of better words) to operate game days as they see fit and control access as they see fit.    In the case of injuries I suspect K-State (or any other school) has HIPPA on their side as well. 

I don't think the commons sections of main college (public) campuses falls under the same oversight, and in particular it's certainly not something that students or protesters can enforce by their own choosing.   At least I don't think so . . .  the administration on the other hand probably has a litany of laws on their side if they chose to do so.   Not saying it's right or wrong, just saying. 

Online DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: November 10, 2015, 10:10:02 AM »
A stadium isn't a public place?
The field/sideline isn't.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: November 10, 2015, 10:10:25 AM »

He could still take photos and say whatever he wanted. They just were blocking him from going wherever he wanted.

Yeah, oddly you are allowed to photograph people in public places, but you aren't allowed to assault them.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: November 10, 2015, 10:10:26 AM »
Would HIPPA apply to someone on a hunger strike?

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: November 10, 2015, 10:12:15 AM »

Yeah, oddly you are allowed to photograph people in public places, but you aren't allowed to assault them.

That was assault?

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: November 10, 2015, 10:13:13 AM »

It's a very real possibility that the only reason Wolfe actually resigned is that he did not want to acknowledge his white male privilege.

Frankly, it was probably a wake up call that he was squandering it. 

I mean eff, if you are a former software exec, do you want a relatively low paying, high pain in the ass job like that?  No way Jose.  You go get on some boards (at $200K+ a pop) that meet once a quarter and you volunteer at a few PGA events and you enjoy what the socioeconomic lottery gave you!
IDK Pete, you are selling the bennies of being a UP short.  I mean, suites at all games and flying the U jet or at the very least the team charter to roadies. 

I will say this shack of a President's House is a joke, no wonder they rent it out for similar rates to the typical subdivision clubhouse

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: November 10, 2015, 10:14:07 AM »

That was assault?

He was pushed several times, and the professor asking for muscle also grabbed the video camera. You can't just lay your hands on other people in a threatening way. It's assault.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: November 10, 2015, 10:14:37 AM »
Would HIPPA apply to someone on a hunger strike?

If they were under medical care, sure.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: November 10, 2015, 10:15:57 AM »

That was assault?

He was pushed several times, and the professor asking for muscle also grabbed the video camera. You can't just lay your hands on other people in a threatening way. It's assault.
If the crowd had just formed a human chain blocking access and the lady wouldn't have grabbed the camera, would it have been assault? (I really don't know)

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: November 10, 2015, 10:17:55 AM »

That was assault?

If the crowd had just formed a human chain blocking access and the lady wouldn't have grabbed the camera, would it have been assault? (I really don't know)

Not unless they were verbally threatening him, or walking the chain forward and pushing him back.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: November 10, 2015, 10:21:50 AM »
seriously though. that president is out of a job for the same reason that doctors get sued. he didn't actively listen or engage the students, brushed them off, passed them on, showed no empathy, etc. it looks like he maybe realized it at the end but who knows.

http://ethicalnag.org/2010/10/15/why-doctors-get-sued/

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: November 10, 2015, 10:25:00 AM »
seriously though. that president is out of a job for the same reason that doctors get sued. he didn't actively listen or engage the students, brushed them off, passed them on, showed no empathy, etc. it looks like he maybe realized it at the end but who knows.

http://ethicalnag.org/2010/10/15/why-doctors-get-sued/

It appears, at least on the surface there was an entire infrastructure put in place for the students to take their grievances to, did the students not do that, or did those people not do their job?

If they didn't do their job, it looks like a lot of money has been expended on people to fulfill a role in creating a better environment on campus, and they failed, miserably.   Or, did they? 

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #448 on: November 10, 2015, 10:45:13 AM »
This whole thing is one sick, twisted joke. These people are rough ridin' insane.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: November 10, 2015, 10:52:00 AM »
That photographer should've gone into any of those tall buildings in the background and gotten some sweet overhead shots of the entire scene.  Those pictures probably wouldn't have been as cool of a story to his bosses as FREEDOM OF THE PRESS BEING TRAMPLED.