Author Topic: Marcus smart staying  (Read 12329 times)

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Marcus smart staying
« Reply #75 on: April 17, 2013, 12:57:07 PM »
For the record, I appreciate his talent but I don't like watching him play. I hate floppers with every fiber of my being.

I agree with this, one of the worst things about basketball. Worse than "overly" physical play. IMHO.

OSU being good helps the Big 12 though, especially if UT/Barnes continues to be a train wreck.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 17, 2013, 01:01:18 PM »
marcus smart has game and i'm glad he is spending another year in college, in the big 12.  it's pretty stupid to be upset that he's staying, fwiw.  so shut up on that point.

In what way? I'm not glad he's staying because he should be getting paid for what he does and Travis Ford should stop being so damn selfish and Coach Cal this kid. It is ridiculous that anyone would do anything but tell him he has to go when he is a guaranteed top 10 pick. Next years draft is projecting as one of the best in recent memory and that was with Smart leaving in this year's garbage draft.

i'm a college basketball fan, why should i be upset that one of the best players in the game has decided that he's going to continue to play it, and that i'll get to watch him, a lot?

why should i be upset that some kid i've never met won't be made a multimillionaire over night and won't be appearing in an episode of next season's Entourage?

should i be worried he might hurt his draft stock and that some other kid i've never met could possibly take a portion of smart's millions, next year?

Feel how you want, I'm not telling anyone how they should feel. All I said is that his father and his coach didn't help him make the best long-term decision for Marcus. I'm not worried either, just observing.

For the record, I appreciate his talent but I don't like watching him play. I hate floppers with every fiber of my being.

oh i know you aren't suggesting i feel otherwise, just laying out why i made my initial statement telling others that they should feel like i do, or be indifferent.  more than likely, the reality is this kid is going to be just fine in the long term.  sure he flops from time to time but he's fun to watch on the offensive end and i wish there were more players with his skillset playing the college game.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 17, 2013, 01:09:58 PM »
“I talked to Mike Beasley,” Pullen said to the paper. “The two weeks right before the draft deadline, Mike spent out in Kansas.  We talked and he said if he could re-do everything, he’d have stayed all four years.

“He said to think about it and not just worry about the money.  Think about the experiences you want to be part of, because once you make that decision it’s your life.  It’s a job.  It’s not fun anymore.”

http://dimemag.com/2010/06/michael-beasley-says-nba-not-nfl-is-no-fun-league/

Plus Smart is playing on a team with his best friend & he'll never get that chance again.

Glad he's sticking around for the Big 12.

Different players/ppl.  I think Mike expected to be Jordan and was disappointed.

Mike was Jordan when he was in college. I can easily see how somebody could think college ball is a lot more fun than pro ball, especially if you are going to get drafted early and have to get your ass kicked night in and night out on a shitty team. The money would be hard to turn down, though.

Offline Lucas Scoopsalot

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 17, 2013, 01:16:29 PM »
@OSUAthletcs "It's OFFICIAL: Le'Bryan Nash, Markel Brown and Marcus Smart will return to #OKState! pic.twitter.com/UO9gFasZ65"
Luke's stock is rising as Winters continues to validate his greatness. Add Luke and Winters to my list! Also, EMAWBLAST! and Tobias!

Offline EMAWzified

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 17, 2013, 02:29:54 PM »
I think Smart is just flopping OSU fans.

Offline Pett

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • KLI GOD
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 17, 2013, 05:11:04 PM »
I like Ford's 2013 class and I would trade Weber for him in a heartbeat.
Five seasons in Stillwater and has only won one NCAA tournament game

Offline Ghost of Stan Parrish

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 17, 2013, 06:43:42 PM »
Yep, and zero Big 12 championships.

The Anybody But Weber crowd really is fascinating to me...
"I'm thankful our MHK forefathers had the foresight to lynch white dudes so that we might be able to throw up the mob with a clear conscience."

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 17, 2013, 07:04:42 PM »

Sutton left the program in shambles. I will take the guy who is recruiting top flight talent. If he can't win, you still have top flight talent for the next coach.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 17, 2013, 07:53:52 PM »

Sutton left the program in shambles. I will take the guy who is recruiting top flight talent. If he can't win, you still have top flight talent for the next coach.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Mashing 'taters like an Old Country Buffet
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 17, 2013, 10:06:03 PM »
Why would anyone be pissed about this?  The Big 12 sucks and needs all the good teams it can get.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 17, 2013, 10:07:06 PM »
Why would anyone be pissed about this?

i do not know. good for the big 12.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #86 on: April 17, 2013, 11:35:19 PM »
Marcus Smart is a rough ridin' Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) (obv. he's playing for Ford at OSU). You get one shot at this kind of guaranteed money, you don't pass.

Forte is a rough ridin' bitch who sucks at basketball.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline PowercatPat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #BID
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 17, 2013, 11:37:45 PM »
Why would anyone be pissed about this?  The Big 12 sucks and needs all the good teams it can get.

Nobody is really pissed. Just in awe about how stupid of a decision he made.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 07:56:56 AM by PowercatPat »

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 18, 2013, 11:07:17 AM »
Marcus Smart is a rough ridin' Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) (obv. he's playing for Ford at OSU). You get one shot at this kind of guaranteed money, you don't pass.

Forte is a rough ridin' bitch who sucks at basketball.

saved for next year when smart still makes a ton of guaranteed money.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 18, 2013, 11:25:34 AM »
What if Smart stays 4 years, guys?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 18, 2013, 11:50:01 AM »
good for him.  years from now he may blame his financial management team for his bankruptcy and tax debt/resulting prison sentence, but they won't be able to take away his education.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 18, 2013, 12:21:15 PM »
NBA careers on average have to be pretty short.  What is the tipping point for how many years he can put off the transition and not be able to make that amount of lost money back?  2Yrs? 

Offline The Whale

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 18, 2013, 12:31:57 PM »

Out of curiousity, how many NCAA wins do you expect Weber to have in Manhattan after 5 years?

If the bar were set at 1.5, are you taking the over or the under?

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 18, 2013, 01:09:47 PM »
maybe someone is paying smart enough to make staying worth it

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #94 on: April 18, 2013, 01:54:31 PM »

I'm glad oscar was here last year for no other reason than the title.  What happens from here on out is whatever, but I'll trade a few bad years for a title that we hadn't had in over 30 years.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 18, 2013, 02:19:29 PM »
NBA careers on average have to be pretty short.  What is the tipping point for how many years he can put off the transition and not be able to make that amount of lost money back?  2Yrs?

60% of NBA players are bankrupt within 5 years of retiring. Maybe the extra school will give him the responsibility to handle his money better when he finally gets it. :dunno:

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 18, 2013, 02:39:00 PM »

60% of NBA players are bankrupt within 5 years of retiring. Maybe the extra school will give him the responsibility to handle his money better when he finally gets it. :dunno:

Man, that NBA stat is horrible.  NBA should offer some better rookie counseling.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 18, 2013, 02:43:32 PM »

Man, that NBA stat is horrible.  NBA should offer some better rookie counseling.

I think they do, but they obviously are not doing a very good job. It's even worse in the NFL, where 78% of former players are bankrupt or facing serious financial stress within 2 years of retirement.

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 18, 2013, 02:59:18 PM »
maybe someone is paying smart enough to make staying worth it

That was the first thing I thought.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 18, 2013, 03:00:29 PM »

I think they do, but they obviously are not doing a very good job. It's even worse in the NFL, where 78% of former players are bankrupt or facing serious financial stress within 2 years of retirement.

It's all those damn financial advisers  :shakesfist: