Author Topic: Scalia  (Read 56046 times)

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Scalia
« Reply #375 on: February 18, 2016, 09:36:40 AM »
For once, I agree completely with the NYT Editorial Board. The Senate should refuse to confirm the President's pick:

The President’s supporters insist vehemently that, having won the 2012 election, he has every right to try to change the Court’s direction. Yes, but the Republicans won the 2014 election, regaining control of the Senate, and they have every right to resist. This is not the same Senate that confirmed Elena Kagan and Sonia Sotomayor.
Did you think this was clever?

Why, whatever do you mean? :dunno:
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: February 18, 2016, 09:44:11 AM »
of course both parties have the right to use their distinct powers.

Agreed.

if they were normal, rational actors they would settle on a compromise candidate and the govt would function as intended.  it doesn't make sense for either side to insist on an extremist of their own side, at the risk of an extremist of the other side (and at the added cost of a prolonged battle over the appointment).

Please explain your definition of "compromise pick" and how that would be better for conservatives than taking a gamble on the 2016 election.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: February 18, 2016, 10:03:57 AM »

Agreed.

if they were normal, rational actors they would settle on a compromise candidate and the govt would function as intended.  it doesn't make sense for either side to insist on an extremist of their own side, at the risk of an extremist of the other side (and at the added cost of a prolonged battle over the appointment).

Please explain your definition of "compromise pick" and how that would be better for conservatives than taking a gamble on the 2016 election.

Right now the 'pubs can make the president pick a very moderate candidate.

If the dems win the election and take the senate, a much more liberal candidate will be nominated
If the 'pubs win the presidency and hold the senate, a much more conservative candidate will be nominated.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: February 18, 2016, 10:16:42 AM »

Agreed.

If the dems win the election and take the senate, a much more liberal candidate will be nominated
If the 'pubs win the presidency and hold the senate, a much more conservative candidate will be nominated.

Sorry - labels like "much more moderate" don't mean anything. And that's the point. I want to know how exactly this "moderate" justice is going to be better than this "liberal" justice if the GOP loses their gamble. I don't see it. I don't think the GOP sees it, either. Which is why even if they've got less than a 50% chance of winning both the WH and Senate in 2016, they just don't seem to have much to lose. Conversely, the gain is that this will galvanize GOP turnout for the 2016 election (more, I think, than it will for the Dems).
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 11:28:23 AM by K-S-U-Wildcats! »

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: February 18, 2016, 10:20:52 AM »

Agreed.

Sorry - labels like "much more moderate" don't mean anything. And that's the point. I want to know how exactly this "moderate" justice is going to be better than this "liberal" justice of the GOP loses their gamble. I don't see it.
The gamble itself is unconstitutional.  The document says the various bodies need to nominate and confirm with no clause "unless it's close enough to an election year to make a political point."  The good functioning of the court and government requires the seat be filled in a timely manner, just as it has for the last 227 years*. 
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: February 18, 2016, 10:22:03 AM »

Agreed.

He shouldn't have to and frankly he better not choose a moderate appointee. No other current supreme court justice was the byproduct of a political compromise, why would we start now? We heard that stay about Scalia being confirmed 98-0, that said just as much, if not more about the political climate than it did Scalia. Congress is like a petulant child, you don't give them their way when they misbehave. Force them to behave and if they don't they can deal with any potential consequences.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: February 18, 2016, 10:34:42 AM »

Agreed.

He shouldn't have to and frankly he better not choose a moderate appointee. No other current supreme court justice was the byproduct of a political compromise, why would we start now? We heard that stay about Scalia being confirmed 98-0, that said just as much, if not more about the political climate than it did Scalia. Congress is like a petulant child, you don't give them their way when they misbehave. Force them to behave and if they don't they can deal with any potential consequences.
Arguably Kennedy
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: February 18, 2016, 10:34:48 AM »
 Anthony Kennedy was a compromise from Bork

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: February 18, 2016, 10:55:28 AM »

Agreed.

Sorry - labels like "much more moderate" don't mean anything. And that's the point. I want to know how exactly this "moderate" justice is going to be better than this "liberal" justice of the GOP loses their gamble. I don't see it.
The gamble itself is unconstitutional.  The document says the various bodies need to nominate and confirm with no clause "unless it's close enough to an election year to make a political point."  The good functioning of the court and government requires the seat be filled in a timely manner, just as it has for the last 227 years*.

Oh this must be one of those Living Constitution things as opposed to, you know, what the Constitution actually says. There's nothing in the Constitution that requires the Senate to confirm or even vote on a nominee. Maybe it's in one of those penumbras.

By the way, I know this discussion is probably confusing to somebody who thought "Living Constitution" meant Anendments.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: February 18, 2016, 11:05:14 AM »
This is basically prisoner's dilemma.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: February 18, 2016, 11:26:59 AM »
Just to clarify for the uninitiated: the president has no constitutional obligation to nominate a new SCOTUS judge and the senate has no constitutional obligation to confirm.

The constitution calls for a Supreme Court. There is no requirement that 9 justices sit on the court, nor has the court always been comprised of 9 justices.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: February 18, 2016, 11:31:09 AM »
If the political situations were reversed everyone on this board would have the exact opposite opinions as they have now.   :lol:

Politics.   :lol:

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: February 18, 2016, 11:43:00 AM »
I think Obama should nominate and there should be a compromise candidate

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: February 18, 2016, 11:52:46 AM »
If the Republicans don't like the candidate, just vote against confirmation.  The posturing that they don't want Obama to nominate and then they would stall is annoying.  Just do your damn job and if you don't like the candidate, vote against him/her.

Offline Yard Dog

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • I am DC Cat
    • View Profile

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: February 18, 2016, 12:25:05 PM »
If the political situations were reversed everyone on this board would have the exact opposite opinions as they have now.   :lol:

Not everyone  :D
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Online sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: February 18, 2016, 12:28:23 PM »

it's even worse than that.  i can't think of any reason why the crats wouldn't fillibuster the crap out of a pub nominee if they lose the presidency.  so even if the pubs hold the senate (if they get a president, they'll almost certainly keep the senate), there's not likely to be any quick resolution that would allow a conservative judge appointment.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: February 18, 2016, 12:36:53 PM »

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: February 18, 2016, 12:38:50 PM »

Agreed.

Oh this must be one of those Living Constitution things as opposed to, you know, what the Constitution actually says. There's nothing in the Constitution that requires the Senate to confirm or even vote on a nominee. Maybe it's in one of those penumbras.

By the way, I know this discussion is probably confusing to somebody who thought "Living Constitution" meant Anendments.

I'll be sure to jerk off a bunch of posts when you want technical instead of colloquial in the future.  By the way, you still didn't deal with any substantive issues in my posts.  I'll take this as your typical bitch made tap out.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: February 18, 2016, 12:46:38 PM »

ALMOST THOUGH PROBABLY

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: February 18, 2016, 01:21:50 PM »

ALMOST THOUGH PROBABLY
Moderate dobber would not change his opinion either.

Gonna win 'em all! (using Tapatalk)

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: February 18, 2016, 02:19:11 PM »

Agreed.

I'll be sure to jerk off a bunch of posts when you want technical instead of colloquial in the future.  By the way, you still didn't deal with any substantive issues in my posts.  I'll take this as your typical bitch made tap out.

:lol: Everybody got that?

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: February 18, 2016, 03:25:13 PM »
Pretty dumb of the 'pubs, they should have just waited to see who Obama trotted out of the judicial stable. 

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: February 18, 2016, 10:14:30 PM »