Author Topic: Iowa State Game  (Read 6349 times)

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Iowa State Game
« on: February 07, 2013, 04:38:23 PM »
So, what do we have to do to win this game?  ISU shotting below 50% 3pt is a good start.  Seems like our on ball defense has been very good lately.  I anticipate our activity will limit their open shot opportunities. 

Offensively, I don't see any reason why we can't exploit our size advantage.  We didn't do it last time, though.  I don't know if ISU took them out of the game, or if we simply failed to execute the game plan.  ISU's a pretty small team.  With Gip's increased productivity around the rim and JO's height advantage, it seems like we should make hay in that area.

Thoughts?  I hope our team isn't overlooking ISU like our fanbase is.     

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline bigwillie20

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
  • #FYJC #burnitdown
    • View Profile
Re: Iowa State Game
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 04:42:19 PM »
ISU can't win on the road, they lost at TECH  :lol:

Wake me up on Monday

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 04:43:18 PM »
I hope our players didn't see pictures of the press box at Jack Trice, or they won't be able to take this game seriously at all.

Offline pufiZzle

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 04:43:35 PM »
So, what do we have to do to win this game?  ISU shotting below 50% 3pt is a good start.  Seems like our on ball defense has been very good lately.  I anticipate our activity will limit their open shot opportunities. 

Offensively, I don't see any reason why we can't exploit our size advantage.  We didn't do it last time, though.  I don't know if ISU took them out of the game, or if we simply failed to execute the game plan.  ISU's a pretty small team.  With Gip's increased productivity around the rim and JO's height advantage, it seems like we should make hay in that area.

2 words that don't belong in same sentence.  Unless it's.....with JO in the game, the other team has a large advantage.

Offline BostonPancake

• Katpak'r
  • I'm all about the T in TSC.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 05:00:45 PM »
Rebounding better on defense would be good.  They had 10 o-boards last time that led to 16 points on that possession off of the rebound.  Meanwhile, we scored 4 points off our 5 o-boards.

Offline pvegs

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 05:09:17 PM »
Vis a vis 3 pt shooting, not only is  limiting % a huge deal vs ISU but so is limiting volume.  To that extent, boarding well and not turning it over will be key.  Watching vs OU, ISU got a ton of 3 pt looks in transition and also on mad scrambles after Oboards. I like our chances in a grinder, but am fearful of something similar to the 2nd half in Ames.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 05:09:26 PM »
Tunnel dance.

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 05:16:21 PM »
Vis a vis 3 pt shooting, not only is  limiting % a huge deal vs ISU but so is limiting volume.  To that extent, boarding well and not turning it over will be key. 

Agreed.  rebounding was pretty bad.  We had 8 total rebounds between Gip (0), JO (2), Nino (4), DJamer (2).  Granted, lot of long rebounds against chucker teams like ISU.  But still, we need more out of our bigs. 

Gip and JO played 9 minutes each for a combined 6 pts.  DJamer and Nino played 19 minutes each for a combined 8 pts.  We have got to have more production out of our bigs - offensively and defensively. 

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 05:17:33 PM »

2 words that don't belong in same sentence.  Unless it's.....with JO in the game, the other team has a large advantage.

I will rough ridin' punch you
:adios:

Offline Winters

• The King of Real Zeal
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 05:24:17 PM »
The Paperboy to have a mediocre performance at home would be great.
Best #heel and/or #babyface on this blogsite

If it were up to me, Wintz would be on a fan scholarship, full ride.

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 05:49:49 PM »

I wonder how MUCH better JO would have to play in comparison to our other bigs for dumbasses to realize that he's the best option that we have.
This is who I am...I have no problem crying. - Jerome Tang

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2013, 05:52:10 PM »
So, what do we have to do to win this game? 

show up

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2013, 06:20:03 PM »
We will win this by double digits
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2013, 06:23:08 PM »

I wonder how MUCH better JO would have to play in comparison to our other bigs for dumbasses to realize that he's the best option that we have.

People that post stupid crap like this should be ignored, so rough ridin' dumb.

Offline OKclone

• Taco Walk'r
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2013, 06:32:07 PM »
This thread is fun.
RIP Coach Orr 1927-2013

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2013, 06:42:06 PM »

We can't exploit our size advantage because we would get spread and killed. ISU gets all those open looks and rebounds because they spread, penetrate, kick and then crash the boards after they've spread you out and have you scrambling to recover on help. If the last game taught us anything is that we can't win these games by trying to out score ISU, we have to win this game defensively.

Obviously the first step is limiting the penetration and make them use a lot of clock to get shots. This is a horrendous matchup for JO because Niang can pull him away from the basket, it happened the first game and he also did it to Withey. If oscar starts JO best case scenario is for JO to make a shot or two early, block or change a couple of shots and hope Niang misses a couple of shots while picking up a foul. Frankly, I think we will need Nino to have a good game, I think he's our big best suited to stop Niang (really missing Jamar here).

Of course the players aren't looking past ISU, they lost to them less than 2 weeks ago & they're prepping for them all week. Who cares what the fans do?

Offline Powercat Posse

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2013, 06:59:07 PM »
In conf games, 43.9% of the Clonies shots are from behind the arc.   Kstate is best in the Big 12 allowing only 24.6% of shots be 3PA

Outside of the Isu game, the other 8 opp. have 25 3Pt makes on 87 3PA .    That is basicly 3-11 on average.   That is very good. 

Now no way are we going to hold Isu to 11 3PA (they had 22 in Ames) but we have to contest their shots.  TCU and Tech (at home) made the game ugly and held Isu to 5-18 and 6-23

Be curious to see what FAN thinks, but if we can hold them to under 50% eFG, then you have to like our chances.   Isu has only been 20 TO% or higher in 2 of 9 games, but they are only ave 24.5 OR% in their last five games
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 07:04:44 PM by Powercat Posse »

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2013, 07:17:47 PM »
I have to try real hard to not be snarky when someone uses stats to discuss how one team should beat another.  Team X has to keep team Y below their normal statistical input. No crap, tell us HOW.

no offense

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2013, 07:35:52 PM »
Looking at the first game the plan is simple; take care of the ball and rebound. In Ames, ISU outscored us 13-4 off turnovers and 14-0 on second chance points in the 2nd half. So in spite having our best shooting half of the season at 72% we couldn't take advantage because we didn't handle two aspects of the game we had quite a bit of control over. Also, ISU's 14 2nd chance points came on 7 oboards, and 13 points off TOs came off of 7 TOs, so they were nearly perfect at taking advantage of each area, which allowed them to overcome poor FT shooting.

They are going to shoot 3s, but hopefully we can keep their attempts down to 15-18 instead of 20 plus. I think offensively we'll score fine, it will be about TOs, RBs, and limiting good 3PT looks.

Offline pvegs

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2013, 07:46:23 PM »

We can't exploit our size advantage because we would get spread and killed. ISU gets all those open looks and rebounds because they spread, penetrate, kick and then crash the boards after they've spread you out and have you scrambling to recover on help. If the last game taught us anything is that we can't win these games by trying to out score ISU, we have to win this game defensively.

Obviously the first step is limiting the penetration and make them use a lot of clock to get shots. This is a horrendous matchup for JO because Niang can pull him away from the basket, it happened the first game and he also did it to Withey. If oscar starts JO best case scenario is for JO to make a shot or two early, block or change a couple of shots and hope Niang misses a couple of shots while picking up a foul. Frankly, I think we will need Nino to have a good game, I think he's our big best suited to stop Niang (really missing Jamar here).

Of course the players aren't looking past ISU, they lost to them less than 2 weeks ago & they're prepping for them all week. Who cares what the fans do?

Exactly.  Hoping the defensive intensity will be there given that it's at home.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2013, 07:47:25 PM »
I have to try real hard to not be snarky when someone uses stats to discuss how one team should beat another.  Team X has to keep team Y below their normal statistical input. No crap, tell us HOW.

no offense

Defensively I think it starts with Angel staying out of foul trouble and getting ball pressure. We've got to be more sound, obviously Hoiberg seems to have found a good way to get us spread and generate lots of good shots judging by not only this year, but last. And we've got to find a better matchup for Clyburn, he was really a difference maker in Ames.

Online sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2013, 08:03:05 PM »
we played jhr against missouri last year and beat the crap out of them twice.  gmafb with this we have to go small crap.  i like going small, but not based on opponent.  go small when that's how you get your best 5 on the floor.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline PowercatPat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #BID
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2013, 08:39:27 PM »
Guard the three and we should be fine. They live and die by the three. Not really worried about his game too much.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2013, 08:42:50 PM »
we played jhr against missouri last year and beat the crap out of them twice.  gmafb with this we have to go small crap.  i like going small, but not based on opponent.  go small when that's how you get your best 5 on the floor.

Mizzou didn't have a five nearly as skilled as Niang. Mizzou also wasn't nearly as good isolating players in the front court. That being said I read through this complete thread twice and I didn't see anyone say we had to play small so I have no idea what you're cussing about.

Online sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2013, 09:00:11 PM »

Mizzou didn't have a five nearly as skilled as Niang.

play jhr off him so he can't get his body into him and spin.  he's not going to drive around him and if isu wants to try and win the game with a freshman post shooting 3s over a seven footer, let them try.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."