Author Topic: Snyder Retirement Coaching Search Master Thread  (Read 315354 times)

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Snyder Retirement Coaching Search Master Thread
« Reply #1825 on: October 12, 2015, 12:41:47 PM »
Tom Herman should be offered the job as soon as the final regular season game ends, if not before.

It won't happen of course, but it should.

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1826 on: October 12, 2015, 01:03:48 PM »
Firmly team ck7 with arthur as d co and k lock running special teams

Dre cruitin

Offline dlineguyz

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1827 on: October 12, 2015, 01:28:44 PM »
Scott Frost would be fantastic

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1828 on: October 12, 2015, 01:31:00 PM »

Offline PowercatPat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #BID
    • View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: October 12, 2015, 02:11:57 PM »

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1830 on: October 12, 2015, 03:15:16 PM »
I was really hoping that Bill would retire this season because I thought we would be the best job open with a very good group of canidates but in the last couple of weeks it seems as if right now we'll be the third best job, best case scenario as USC will definitely be open and USCe seems like a firm possibility.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1831 on: October 12, 2015, 03:19:15 PM »
I was really hoping that Bill would retire this season because I thought we would be the best job open with a very good group of canidates but in the last couple of weeks it seems as if right now we'll be the third best job, best case scenario as USC will definitely be open and USCe seems like a firm possibility.

We wouldn't be competing for coaches that USC will be considering.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: October 12, 2015, 03:36:13 PM »

Who do you think they could get who would be currently unavailable to us if we weren't conducting simultaneous searches?

Offline That_Guy

• I'm just, "That Guy!"
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: October 12, 2015, 03:36:53 PM »
USC job is officially open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline That_Guy

• I'm just, "That Guy!"
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: October 12, 2015, 03:37:27 PM »
@USC_Athletics: USC athletic director Pat Haden announces the termination of Steve Sarkisian as head football coach: http://t.co/KrqKSEf2hG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1835 on: October 12, 2015, 03:41:43 PM »

Who do you think they could get who would be currently unavailable to us if we weren't conducting simultaneous searches?

They can poach P5 coaches like they did with Sark. We can't do that. Guys that they would be interested in below that tier (someone like McElwein last year, possibly Tom Herman this year) would be content holding out for a better job than KSU if USC wasn't available. I could be wrong though. Things are always changing.

USCe would likely have more overlap in their candidate pool with ours.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: October 12, 2015, 04:04:33 PM »

They can poach P5 coaches like they did with Sark. We can't do that. Guys that they would be interested in below that tier (someone like McElwein last year, possibly Tom Herman this year) would be content holding out for a better job than KSU if USC wasn't available. I could be wrong though. Things are always changing.

Sark is a horrible example because he was formally an assistant there and no one else even wanted to take him away from Washington, he was a less accomplished Mike Gundy.

KSU is absolutely a place that Herman would be interested in, just as McElwein would have been if a job like Florida wasn't available. I can't think of a single power 5 coach right now that USC boosters would want that isn't either an alum where he is or someone who isn't tied to a region that isn't southern California. Sonny Dikes would probably go but I don't think USC people would want him and his style. Kyle Wittingham?

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: October 12, 2015, 04:18:33 PM »
I honestly don't see us getting a P5 coach from a program any better than ours. However, USC poaching another P5 coach means a vacancy from another school who we would be competing with, so it's kind of a moot point.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: October 12, 2015, 04:26:45 PM »
If Currie wins the battle of attrition he's going to come right out of the gate blasting $2.9 to $3.5 million a year at a Tom Herman type.   

Offline lopakman

• Katpak'r
  • #1Wiggins
    • View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: October 12, 2015, 04:29:54 PM »
Sarkisian seems like a Currie type of guy
@lopakman

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1840 on: October 12, 2015, 04:30:45 PM »
Minus the drunk on the job thing, you mean?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Offline lopakman

• Katpak'r
  • #1Wiggins
    • View Profile
« Reply #1841 on: October 12, 2015, 04:31:56 PM »
no because of it
@lopakman

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: October 12, 2015, 04:33:22 PM »
I honestly don't see us getting a P5 coach from a program any better than ours.

No crap?

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #1843 on: October 12, 2015, 04:35:36 PM »
If Currie wins the battle of attrition he's going to come right out of the gate blasting $2.9 to $3.5 million a year at a Tom Herman type.   

If we're willing to swing for the fences on Herman, I'm all for it.  I'm also pretty high on Justin Fuente.

I guess my Top 3 right now would be:

1) Herman
2) Fuente
3) Venables

I think we'll be a fairly attractive job with the amount of quality youth on this team, especially at QB with Delton and Thompson, and the recent facility upgrades.  A strong recruiter could easily augment the talent here and win quickly.  This is the perfect job for a Fuente or Herman.  Moderate/Attainable expectations, big money, low media spotlight, school willing to throw tens of millions at the program, etc.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: October 12, 2015, 04:36:36 PM »
Fuente has the added bonus of being turned down by KU.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1845 on: October 12, 2015, 04:38:07 PM »

Sark is a horrible example because he was formally an assistant there and no one else even wanted to take him away from Washington, he was a less accomplished Mike Gundy.

KSU is absolutely a place that Herman would be interested in, just as McElwein would have been if a job like Florida wasn't available. I can't think of a single power 5 coach right now that USC boosters would want that isn't either an alum where he is or someone who isn't tied to a region that isn't southern California. Sonny Dikes would probably go but I don't think USC people would want him and his style. Kyle Wittingham?

Possibly a guy like Dan Mullen, too. (USC is tricky because it's such a unique/isolated region without many natural candidates).

Re: Herman and McElwein, I'm not entirely sure. It may make more sense to cash in after year one or two at a smaller school than hold out for a better job. But like zack said, when USC is open, dominoes will fall all over the place and who knows what jobs will be open.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #1846 on: October 12, 2015, 04:41:36 PM »
Fuente has the added bonus of being turned down by KU.

Obviously.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Snyder Retirement Coaching Search Master Thread
« Reply #1847 on: October 12, 2015, 04:42:38 PM »
Remember when Frank said Underwood should be the next hoops coach at KSU? Is no one concerned about a similar situation here?

Edit: I mean, obviously Sean would come back to us even if he turned into a total stud HC somewhere else.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 04:50:21 PM by catastrophe »

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1848 on: October 12, 2015, 04:52:59 PM »
Has anyone mailed catastrophe his brown belt yet?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1849 on: October 12, 2015, 04:53:34 PM »

Possibly a guy like Dan Mullen, too. (USC is tricky because it's such a unique/isolated region without many natural candidates).

Re: Herman and McElwein, I'm not entirely sure. It may make more sense to cash in after year one or two at a smaller school than hold out for a better job. But like zack said, when USC is open, dominoes will fall all over the place and who knows what jobs will be open.

Mullen is a good one, he hasn't been in the SEC as long as I thought he has. Although Mississippi State to USC isn't the huge jump it appears to. The USC job is more attractive if they fire Haden and hire a new AD before they hire a coach. The next guy will be their 5th coach in 3 seasons. Their last three hires; Carroll, Kiffin, and Sark don't scream elite program who can get whomever they want. Their last two AD's have been pretty awful.