Author Topic: K-State vs Auburn - Serious Game Discussion Thread (No Bullshit)  (Read 35751 times)

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: K-State vs Auburn - Serious Game Discussion Thread (No Bullshit)
« Reply #75 on: September 15, 2014, 11:37:55 AM »

LOL. a team that lost to 4-8 West Virginia and a team that was handled by Missouri (a team Auburn defeated by 17) was better than Auburn? Okay. And Baylor? LOL. Please... they gave up more than half a hundred to Central Florida, a team that was beaten (at home, no less) by an SEC team that didn't even reach the SEC title game. Baylor is fine when they go up against bad teams. They score 70 routinely. But they are pretty mediocre when they go up against top flight competition, or teams with just really good athletes. Oklahoma embarrassed them. Even Texas beat them.

I guess you can make the argument that Oklahoma was better than Auburn, but I guess I missed their BCS National Championship game apperance.

Interesting that you call Oklahoma State "that team that was handled by Missouri" (which you know is a lie ) instead of "that team that barely lost to #1 Florida State (who defeated Auburn) due to a late QB fumble."

Repeat to yourself: college football does not follow the transitive property.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 15, 2014, 12:00:27 PM »
What scheme will we run?  I say press man on the outside with a deep safety and 8 in the box?  Is that even a scheme?  Man I could really use a _FANframes right now.

Yeah, I know.

We're more of a zone team and a lot of disguised Cover 3 will likely be the plan vs Auburn. We'll do what we can to keep 8 in the box, slow down the run, and make Marshall beat us with his arm. That will be easier said than done.

I think we can do some things offensively that will test Auburn. Arkansas had a successful half against them with power running and play action, but Auburn shut them down in the 2nd half. I have no doubt that Snyder will have some things schemed that we can exploit, but I also believe he will make better adjustments than Bielema's Big 10 downhill power running game.

Right now on special teams Arkansas looks far more explosive. We've got to get play makers (Lockett) on both punt and KO returns because we must win the field position battle and get some big plays.

Of course turnovers will probably be big in this game as well. Anything we can do to gain possessions and keep Auburn out of rhythm will be key, similar to the Baylor game in 2011. They key in that game was being +2 in TOs and winning TOP because we really didn't even win the special teams/returns battle.

Offline Bqqkie Pimp

• qoEMAW ambassador
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • qoEMAW's official representative to goEMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 15, 2014, 12:53:36 PM »
I agree completely, _FAN.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Hayes use various disguises to utilize both cover 3 and cover 6 vs Marshall in order to keep people as close to the box as possible as well as to confuse him as to what our DBs will do post snap in the case of a pass play.

As for scheming offensively, there are a LOT of glaring holes in Auburn's defense that had yet to be rectified as late as the SJSU game.  Maybe they've gotten them all fixed since they last played, but much of the same problems from last year are rearing their ugly heads again from what I've seen.

bears are fast...

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 15, 2014, 01:07:15 PM »
I agree completely, _FAN.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Hayes use various disguises to utilize both cover 3 and cover 6 vs Marshall in order to keep people as close to the box as possible as well as to confuse him as to what our DBs will do post snap in the case of a pass play.

Good points.

Some other reasons not to play very much man, though once in a while as a change up and to keep Marshall guessing would be good.

1) Zone allows you to keep eyes on the backfield. Your defensive backs can peak at the QB/backfield which also allows them to help out in the running game. Against Auburn you want as many defenders as possible to help against the run. Granted, DBs still have to stay disciplined and read their keys for run/pass in zone coverage or you can still give up big plays, especially with Auburn's POP passing plays.

2) Auburn has big receivers and they destroyed Arkansas' smaller defenders in man coverage on slant routes. Arkansas tried loading the box with man outside and eventually Auburn beat it badly both with the run and pass.

As for scheming offensively, there are a LOT of glaring holes in Auburn's defense that had yet to be rectified as late as the SJSU game.  Maybe they've gotten them all fixed since they last played, but much of the same problems from last year are rearing their ugly heads again from what I've seen.

I think we will find a way to exploit weaknesses in their defense with both run and pass. Snyder has had a top 25 offense every season since he came back and likely will again this year.

Plus, Auburn hasn't played a lot of good teams on the road lately. Last year featured only 4 road games total and only 2 were against teams with winning records (LSU/aTm). They lost one and won the other by 4.

Offline sak

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 15, 2014, 01:12:24 PM »

LOL. a team that lost to 4-8 West Virginia and a team that was handled by Missouri (a team Auburn defeated by 17) was better than Auburn? Okay. And Baylor? LOL. Please... they gave up more than half a hundred to Central Florida, a team that was beaten (at home, no less) by an SEC team that didn't even reach the SEC title game. Baylor is fine when they go up against bad teams. They score 70 routinely. But they are pretty mediocre when they go up against top flight competition, or teams with just really good athletes. Oklahoma embarrassed them. Even Texas beat them.

I guess you can make the argument that Oklahoma was better than Auburn, but I guess I missed their BCS National Championship game apperance.

Interesting that you call Oklahoma State "that team that was handled by Missouri" (which you know is a lie ) instead of "that team that barely lost to #1 Florida State (who defeated Auburn) due to a late QB fumble."

oklahoma state beat baylor by 32 points last year. auburn beat missouri by 17.

and yes, oklahoma state played florida state close. in 2014. florida state hasn't looked nearly as sharp so far this year as they did last year.

and for what its worth, auburn played florida state "closer" than oklahoma state did.

but regardless, all of the teams mentioned in this post are better than kansas state in 2013 and 2014 respectively.

Offline damonismyhero

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 15, 2014, 01:13:23 PM »
Just to add fuel to the fire here, Auburn is 0-for its last 4 road OOC games.  The last win was in 1997 at Virginia.

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 15, 2014, 01:14:46 PM »
Our man goal defensively will be to shut down the run. Then we are going to try to confuse the crap out of Marshall. I believe we should be able to do this.

I hope this is the game Andre Davis has his coming out party. We need his speed/quickness to stretch the filed and on kick returns. Also believe you will see us utilize Gronk and the TE position far more.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 15, 2014, 01:17:57 PM »

oklahoma state beat baylor by 32 points last year. auburn beat missouri by 17.

and yes, oklahoma state played florida state close. in 2014. florida state hasn't looked nearly as sharp so far this year as they did last year.

and for what its worth, auburn played florida state "closer" than oklahoma state did.

but regardless, all of the teams mentioned in this post are better than kansas state in 2013 and 2014 respectively.

Chingon, he's not repeating it to himself.

Offline Bqqkie Pimp

• qoEMAW ambassador
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 15, 2014, 01:18:08 PM »
Just to add fuel to the fire here, Auburn is 0-for its last 4 road OOC games.  The last win was in 1997 at Virginia.

Careful, brotha... You'll have your boy sak curled up in the fetal position if he sees this.  His need for our validation is legendary.

bears are fast...

Offline The_Wippuh

• Plainsman
  • Combo-Fan
  • SEC! SEC! SEC! (except Tennessee, eff them!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 15, 2014, 01:18:21 PM »
Don't worry about our defense, it SUCKS and you will have plenty of big plays.  I really expect you guys to hang tough until about midway through the 3rd, when the repetition and dullness of Auburn's offense will start to really wear at KSU D mentally.

Worry about our offense, which no one has stopped.  I like the stat about 26+ points for KSU.  You still need to score more than these totals...

2014: 45, 59 - Not enough stats to really tell how good those D are/are not

2013: Pick up at LSU, where we scored 21 (8) and loss.  30 (46), 62, 45, 45, 35, 55, 43 (32), 34 (1), 59, 31 (2).  Those numbers in parentheses represent the final rank of the total defense for those teams.  KSU finished 45th.

Better hope that KSU finds some D that can hold Auburn below 40 points and some O that can score more than that, which only happened 3 times last season.

Playing at home, on a Thursday night is the best thing that KSU has going for it right now.  I think that Thursday night is negated by the fact that we took last week off (and still gave up huge plays!).

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 15, 2014, 01:21:34 PM »
Better hope that KSU finds some D that can hold Auburn below 40 points and some O that can score more than that, which only happened 3 times last season.

It won't just be the D, it will have to be TOP as well, and hopefully a few turnovers. FWIW, I think it takes around 35 points to win this game for the Cats. Again, the template will be K-State's win over Baylor in 2011, though it will probably feature more passing/less running from Waters compared to Klein.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 15, 2014, 01:25:32 PM »
I worry that we get down early and then have to pass to catch up and our TOP suffers.  A quick start is essential imo to help with the TOP.  Thoughts?

Offline The_Wippuh

• Plainsman
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 15, 2014, 01:26:26 PM »
We could really care less about Time of Possession at Auburn.  The average scoring drive for Auburn is going to be something like 3 or 4 minutes, at most. 

What KSU wants, is to jump out to a BIG lead and make Auburn throw the ball/play catch up.  That's all.  If you let us play in our comfort zone, it will get ugly.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 15, 2014, 01:32:40 PM »
We could really care less about Time of Possession at Auburn.  The average scoring drive for Auburn is going to be something like 3 or 4 minutes, at most. 

What KSU wants, is to jump out to a BIG lead and make Auburn throw the ball/play catch up.  That's all.  If you let us play in our comfort zone, it will get ugly.

You haven't played a team like Kansas State. We will have multiple drives of longer than 8 minutes, and our defense will play a pillow-soft zone that forces you to run more plays than you are accustomed to. This limits the possessions of both teams and magnifies turnovers and penalties.

Offline Bqqkie Pimp

• qoEMAW ambassador
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 15, 2014, 01:34:27 PM »
Don't worry about our defense, it SUCKS and you will have plenty of big plays.  I really expect you guys to hang tough until about midway through the 3rd, when the repetition and dullness of Auburn's offense will start to really wear at KSU D mentally.

Worry about our offense, which no one has stopped.  I like the stat about 26+ points for KSU.  You still need to score more than these totals...

2014: 45, 59 - Not enough stats to really tell how good those D are/are not

2013: Pick up at LSU, where we scored 21 (8) and loss.  30 (46), 62, 45, 45, 35, 55, 43 (32), 34 (1), 59, 31 (2).  Those numbers in parentheses represent the final rank of the total defense for those teams.  KSU finished 45th.

Playing at home, on a Thursday night is the best thing that KSU has going for it right now.  I think that Thursday night is negated by the fact that we took last week off (and still gave up huge plays!).

Hmmm.... Strange. 

A quick search of http://stats.ncaa.org/rankings?sport_code=MFB&division=11 shows that K-State finished 26th in '13. (23rd so far this year)

It will be interesting whether HCBS decides he wants this game played in the 30's or 50's.  Either way, our offense vs your defense is a bigger mismatch than your offense vs our defense.

:buh-bye:

bears are fast...

Offline The_Wippuh

• Plainsman
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 15, 2014, 01:35:19 PM »
You haven't played a team like Kansas State. We will have multiple drives of longer than 8 minutes, and our defense will play a pillow-soft zone that forces you to run more plays than you are accustomed to. This limits the possessions of both teams and magnifies turnovers and penalties.

We would love nothing more than to look at the box score on Friday morning and see that Auburn ran 75+ plays.

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 15, 2014, 01:37:16 PM »

It is kind of a big deal around here.  When the Cats own TOP it is usually a good omen.
@mikec2w

Offline FadeMeAU

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 15, 2014, 01:37:27 PM »

Good points.

Some other reasons not to play very much man, though once in a while as a change up and to keep Marshall guessing would be good.

1) Zone allows you to keep eyes on the backfield. Your defensive backs can peak at the QB/backfield which also allows them to help out in the running game. Against Auburn you want as many defenders as possible to help against the run. Granted, DBs still have to stay disciplined and read their keys for run/pass in zone coverage or you can still give up big plays, especially with Auburn's POP passing plays.

2) Auburn has big receivers and they destroyed Arkansas' smaller defenders in man coverage on slant routes. Arkansas tried loading the box with man outside and eventually Auburn beat it badly both with the run and pass.

I think we will find a way to exploit weaknesses in their defense with both run and pass. Snyder has had a top 25 offense every season since he came back and likely will again this year.

Plus, Auburn hasn't played a lot of good teams on the road lately. Last year featured only 4 road games total and only 2 were against teams with winning records (LSU/aTm). They lost one and won the other by 4.

I think your assessment of defending by playing mostly zone is correct. Too much man has your secondary turning its back to Marshall, but you do have to miz some man in to make Marshall work to figure out the coverages. The defenses that have had the most success against Gus's offense are teams that can get a push from the NG position and play in the backfield and have strong DE and DB support for the jet sweep and outside QB read plays. The jet sweep is a key component to Gus's offense because it stretches the defense and forces them to take the extra defenders out of the box. If you can contain the jet sweep by DBs getting off blocks or great LB play from sideline to sideline, it somewhat limits Gus's offense because it allows defenses to sit in the box and stop the inside run.

The two things I think are key for KState's success on defense: limit the jet sweep's effectiveness and hold Auburn to short gains or losses on 1st down. Don't allow Auburn to stretch the field horizontally and get them behind schedule early in the series.

The two things I think are key for Auburn's success on defense: create pressure and containment on Waters with the DL without committing extra men to blitz and limit the big passing plays to big gains and not long TDs. Auburn needs to keep pressure on Waters without losing containment like last year against Johnny Manziel, and Auburn's secondary needs to keep a 30-yard completion at that and not let it turn into 70-yard TDs.

I'm interested to see how the speed of each team matches up. I think, overall, there won't be as big a difference as some people are speculating. I'm also interested to see how Auburn's front seven defensively match up to KState's run game. Should be a great atmosphere and a great game.

Offline The_Wippuh

• Plainsman
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 15, 2014, 01:39:44 PM »

A quick search of http://stats.ncaa.org/rankings?sport_code=MFB&division=11 shows that K-State finished 26th in '13. (23rd so far this year)

It will be interesting whether HCBS decides he wants this game played in the 30's or 50's.  Either way, our offense vs your defense is a bigger mismatch than your offense vs our defense.

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/1042/p1 is what I looked at.  35th this season (Auburn is 46th http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/1042/p1)

Hrmmm... maybe I'm looking at 2012 stats, I'll dig in further soon.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 15, 2014, 01:41:26 PM »
For Auburn to be successful defensively, they are going to have to stay home. Snyder runs a lot of misdirection. They are also going to have to make solo tackles. Based upon what I have seen, I think Auburn is going to have a lot of trouble.

Offline sak

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 15, 2014, 01:42:03 PM »

Careful, brotha... You'll have your boy sak curled up in the fetal position if he sees this.  His need for our validation is legendary.

i don't really care. what i see is a bunch of delusional kansas state fans who think they have the horses to run with auburn.

you are the 8th best team on our schedule. maybe.

we are no worse than the 2nd best team on your schedule as you will soon find out.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 15, 2014, 01:43:04 PM »

i don't really care. what i see is a bunch of delusional kansas state fans who think they have the horses to run with auburn.

we are no worse than the 2nd best team on your schedule as you will soon find out.

We are going to beat every team on our schedule, so we should be just fine.

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 15, 2014, 01:43:27 PM »

BUT WHAT IF YOU ARE WRONG????? 

@mikec2w

Offline sak

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 15, 2014, 01:47:10 PM »

yep, that shameful defense we put on the field last year. by the way, please list all the teams that kansas state was as good as that beat auburn last year.

Offline Bqqkie Pimp

• qoEMAW ambassador
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 15, 2014, 01:47:54 PM »

GTFOH... Did you not see the part of the thread title that says "(No Bullshit)"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
bears are fast...