Author Topic: Holy War  (Read 138391 times)

Offline KSU187

• Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Religion,Bible,Church, Etc. Thread
« Reply #400 on: March 23, 2011, 10:51:13 AM »
Care to comment on Rob Bell's new book "Love Wins?"

I will ArchE... I myself, am enjoying the meltdown  :bwpopcorn:

He has caused quite a stir, which has led to several of the evangelical/theologically conservative Christians to go in to a BMW-esque super-validation mode.  "2 Timothy 4!!!!!"  :angry:

Here is some stuff you, Poet, and other Christians may like, Martin Bashir pwns the heck out of him in this clip.

Also, here are a couple articles you might find interesting.  :cheers:

http://thegospelcoalition.org/blogs/kevindeyoung/files/2011/03/LoveWinsReview.pdf

http://www.challies.com/book-reviews/love-wins-a-review-of-rob-bells-new-book

Poor Rob Bell, doesn't he realize he is helping people punch their tickets for burning in eternal hellfire... Too bad he is butchering the "Good News"... That news is especially good if you are an upper middle-class caucasian protestant american who accepts Jesus "in the right way" and whose doctrine is 100 percent sound. 

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: March 23, 2011, 12:10:22 PM »
Well put Goldbrick. The constants are not just constants, just because. Take a look at the gravitational constant, G, that is used in Newton's law of universal gravitation and in Einstein's theory of general relativity. It took a very long time for the constant to be proven and accepted.

I miss Lost  :frown:

Offline dohminator

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: March 23, 2011, 11:27:16 PM »
God is an bad person.  What kind of rough ridin' bad person would condemn most of the people on the face of the earth to an eternity of suffering because they didn't know about or choose the right path.  Especially without giving them any kind of proof that He even exists, and in fact lots of ways to explain our existence without needing him to exist.  What kind of bad person would deceive the world like that, let people fight wars and kill each other in his name, without telling us who is right.  And why does this bad person wait for us to die to let us know for sure whether we are going to burn in hell or live in eternal bliss.  What kind of bad person just sits there and watches people suffer and could do something about it, but chooses not to? 

Either God is an bad person or doesn't exist. 

Also, prove why any of your holy books are more correct than any other holy books. 

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: March 23, 2011, 11:35:09 PM »
 :users:

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: March 23, 2011, 11:39:55 PM »
God is an bad person.  What kind of rough ridin' bad person would condemn most of the people on the face of the earth to an eternity of suffering because they didn't know about or choose the right path.  Especially without giving them any kind of proof that He even exists, and in fact lots of ways to explain our existence without needing him to exist.  What kind of bad person would deceive the world like that, let people fight wars and kill each other in his name, without telling us who is right.  And why does this bad person wait for us to die to let us know for sure whether we are going to burn in hell or live in eternal bliss.  What kind of bad person just sits there and watches people suffer and could do something about it, but chooses not to? 

Also, prove why any of your holy books are more correct than any other holy books. 

The book of Job says that you are correct. Here is the flaw in you logic: Why would God care about death and suffering if your life is nothing more than a test to see where you end up after you die? Seriously, if you could create an entire world of people, would you get all bent out of shape about each and every little thing that happened to each and every little person? I would just sit back and enjoy the show.

Offline dohminator

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: March 24, 2011, 12:11:29 AM »

The book of Job says that you are correct. Here is the flaw in you logic: Why would God care about death and suffering if your life is nothing more than a test to see where you end up after you die? Seriously, if you could create an entire world of people, would you get all bent out of shape about each and every little thing that happened to each and every little person? I would just sit back and enjoy the show.

Yeah, but it does kinda go against that all-loving and all merciful nature that God supposedly possesses.  A god that is an bad person is not worthy of worship

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: March 24, 2011, 08:39:51 AM »

Yeah, but it does kinda go against that all-loving and all merciful nature that God supposedly possesses.  A god that is an bad person is not worthy of worship

:bwpopcorn:

Offline PoetWarrior

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: March 24, 2011, 09:26:39 AM »
God is an bad person.  What kind of effing bad person would condemn most of the people on the face of the earth to an eternity of suffering because they didn't know about or choose the right path.  Especially without giving them any kind of proof that He even exists, and in fact lots of ways to explain our existence without needing him to exist.  What kind of bad person would deceive the world like that, let people fight wars and kill each other in his name, without telling us who is right.  And why does this bad person wait for us to die to let us know for sure whether we are going to burn in hell or live in eternal bliss.  What kind of bad person just sits there and watches people suffer and could do something about it, but chooses not to?  

Yeah, but it does kinda go against that all-loving and all merciful nature that God supposedly possesses.  A god that is an bad person is not worthy of worship

"All men have sinned and fall short of the glory of God." (Romans 3:23)
Man was given a choice in the very beginning (so we could experience true joy) and he chose wrong. So, it's our fault, we suffer because of the choice(s) we made. The good news (great news), is that even though man screwed up, and continues to inherently screw up, God provided a way for us to be redeemed. His one begotten Son (important distinction), came to earth, lived as a man and died for us (this is supported by real history), paying the penalty for our sins. We have been given a second chance. It only takes repentance and faith in Him to be rejoined, forever, to God. Because that is the problem. We separated ourselves from God through our actions. He didn't want it to happen.

"The fool says in his heart, “There is no God.” They are corrupt, and their ways are vile; there is no one who does good. God looks down from heaven on all mankind to see if there are any who understand, any who seek God. Everyone has turned away, all have become corrupt; there is no one who does good, not even one." Psalm 53:1-3

"Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from the will of your Father.  And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. So don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows." Matthew 10:29-31

"For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse." Romans 1:20

The Bible makes sense, others do not. Look into it.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 09:33:47 AM by PoetWarrior »

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: March 24, 2011, 09:28:40 AM »
"Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from the will of your Father.  And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. So don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows." Matthew 10:29-31

Lol. 

Offline PoetWarrior

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: March 24, 2011, 09:36:11 AM »
"Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from the will of your Father.  And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. So don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows." Matthew 10:29-31

Lol.  

God cares about us. Surely a person can read and understand that.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: March 24, 2011, 09:37:18 AM »
"Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from the will of your Father.  And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. So don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows." Matthew 10:29-31

Lol. 

God cares about us. Surely you can read and understand that.

What you just did there is called interpretation.  With enough interpretation I can make anything reasonably sound like "the truth".

Offline PoetWarrior

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: March 24, 2011, 11:13:55 AM »
"Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? As it is written:

“For your sake we face death all day long;
   we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered.”

No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord." Romans 8:35-39

Context is often important, but this is plain as day...

Offline KSU187

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: March 24, 2011, 12:27:34 PM »
“Be careful,” Jesus said to them. “Be on your guard against the yeast of the Pharisees and Sadducees.” (Matthew 16:6)

1. God is not an assohole, people are, thus they transfer it to their conception of God.

2. Most people who are obsessively preoccupied with the afterlife do not know what to do with this one.

3. CNS Casey's extreme over-generalization about religion and fear has some truth to it, although it is not entirely accurate.  Religion has used fear to persuade, and people's fear has used religion to comfort. Just because it is used a in certain way, does not invalidate it completely.

4. The Bible does make sense when looked at in context, mainly a mix of allegorical and historical stories that convey deep spiritual truths.

As far as Poet's quote, I'll go ahead and interpret it for those who don't understand what he thinks Paul is saying:  "For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, [accept, of course, for not agreeing with protestant christianity] will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord." Romans 8:35-39

But God does love us, he might say.. He "loves" us enough to give us the choice to choose him, and when we reject that choice, he solemnly shakes his head and sighs as millions are thrown in to the pits of hell... mmmm yeeeahhh....

And you wonder why the atheists and agnostics think this is completely asinine, and constantly batter you in philosophical debates... Sure William Lane Craig can put up a good fight, and I root for you guys, but c'mon, gimme a break, it is a completely ridiculous dogmatic conjecture which has absolutely no basis in reality.

Fred Phelps meets all the criteria for being "saved." Ghandi does not.

A god that allows Freddy to go to heaven and Ghandi to burn in hell is not a "just" or "loving" god at all...

To quote Ghandi: "I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."

Too many Pharisees....
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 12:30:38 PM by KSU187 »

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: March 24, 2011, 01:36:25 PM »
“Be careful,” Jesus said to them. “Be on your guard against the yeast of the Pharisees and Sadducees.” (Matthew 16:6)

1. God is not an assohole, people are, thus they transfer it to their conception of God.

2. Most people who are obsessively preoccupied with the afterlife do not know what to do with this one.

3. CNS Casey's extreme over-generalization about religion and fear has some truth to it, although it is not entirely accurate.  Religion has used fear to persuade, and people's fear has used religion to comfort. Just because it is used a in certain way, does not invalidate it completely.

4. The Bible does make sense when looked at in context, mainly a mix of allegorical and historical stories that convey deep spiritual truths.

As far as Poet's quote, I'll go ahead and interpret it for those who don't understand what he thinks Paul is saying:  "For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, [accept, of course, for not agreeing with protestant christianity] will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord." Romans 8:35-39

But God does love us, he might say.. He "loves" us enough to give us the choice to choose him, and when we reject that choice, he solemnly shakes his head and sighs as millions are thrown in to the pits of hell... mmmm yeeeahhh....

And you wonder why the atheists and agnostics think this is completely asinine, and constantly batter you in philosophical debates... Sure William Lane Craig can put up a good fight, and I root for you guys, but c'mon, gimme a break, it is a completely ridiculous dogmatic conjecture which has absolutely no basis in reality.

Fred Phelps meets all the criteria for being "saved." Ghandi does not.

A god that allows Freddy to go to heaven and Ghandi to burn in hell is not a "just" or "loving" god at all...

To quote Ghandi: "I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."

Too many Pharisees....

Well, I don't claim to be the authority on who gets in to heaven and who does not. Fred Phelps is an all around crap head, but I'm not sure if what he does qualifies him for a seat in hell or not. There are definitely worse people in this world, and many of them claim to be Christian/Muslim/Hindu/Buddhist/whatever. I will say that being a Christian involves much more than just going to church and saying you believe in Jesus. If you refer to the story about Jesus and the rich man (sorry, I don't have sections of the bible memorized like some), the rich man obviously believed in God, but was unwilling to give up his riches. According to Jesus, that man did not make it to heaven.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: March 24, 2011, 01:47:49 PM »

Lol.  

God cares about us. Surely a person can read and understand that.

Does he care about gay people and babies born to muslim parents?

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: March 24, 2011, 01:55:31 PM »

Offline KSU187

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: March 24, 2011, 02:01:13 PM »
Well, I don't claim to be the authority on who gets in to heaven and who does not. Fred Phelps is an all around cac head, but I'm not sure if what he does qualifies him for a seat in hell or not. There are definitely worse people in this world, and many of them claim to be Christian/Muslim/Hindu/Buddhist/whatever. I will say that being a Christian involves much more than just going to church and saying you believe in Jesus. If you refer to the story about Jesus and the rich man (sorry, I don't have sections of the bible memorized like some), the rich man obviously believed in God, but was unwilling to give up his riches. According to Jesus, that man did not make it to heaven.

I find nowhere in the story where it says that guy is in hell or did not make it in to "heaven." Your assessment of it is not accurate and your conclusion is simply not in the text.  But for arguments sake, if you think that is what Jesus was saying, you will not make it in to heaven either... unless you have sold all your possessions.

"Jesus looked at him and loved him. 'One thing you lack,' he said. 'Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.'

At this the man’s face fell. He went away sad, because he had great wealth." (Mark 10:21-22)

Also, Fred Phelps is as guilty of sin as you or I.  But unlike myself, Christians believe he has an advocate and pardon before the punishing judgmental god because he "accepts" Christ in the theologically right way.  Since Ghandi does not have the one and only advocate who can save him when he comes before the heavenly father, he is thrown in hell along with muslim babies and whoever else.

According to this line of thinking, Phelps is saved by grace, even though he is an a-hole. It is not his works that allow him to be "saved," but his faith does, along with his baptism and whatever else you want to throw in there.  He definitely meets many denominations criteria for "the kingdom of heaven."
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 02:13:16 PM by KSU187 »

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: March 24, 2011, 02:09:17 PM »
I find nowhere in the story where it says that guy is in hell or did not make it in to "heaven." Your assessment of it is not accurate and your conclusion is simply not in the text.  But for arguments sake, if you think that is what Jesus was saying, you will not make it in to heaven either... unless you have sold all your possessions.

"Jesus looked at him and loved him. 'One thing you lack,' he said. 'Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.” (Mark 10:21)

Also, Fred Phelps is as guilty of sin as you or I.  But unlike myself, Christians believe he has an advocate and pardon before the punishing judgmental god because he "accepts" Christ in the theologically right way.  Since Ghandi does not have the one and only advocate who can save him when he comes before the heavenly father, he is thrown in hell along with muslim babies and whoever else.

According to this line of thinking, Phelps is saved by grace, even though he is an a-hole. It is not his works that allow him to be "saved," but his faith does, along with his baptism and whatever else you want to throw in there.  He definitely meets many denominations criteria for "the kingdom of heaven."

After the rich man left, Jesus told his disciples that it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God. It doesn't sound like the man got into heaven to me. According to the story, the rich man obviously accepted Christ, or he wouldn't have been asking him what he needed to do to guarantee a spot in heaven.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: March 24, 2011, 02:12:47 PM »

"Jesus looked at him and loved him. 'One thing you lack,' he said. 'Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.” (Mark 10:21)

After the rich man left, Jesus told his disciples that it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God. It doesn't sound like the man got into heaven to me. According to the story, the rich man obviously accepted Christ, or he wouldn't have been asking him what he needed to do to guarantee a spot in heaven.

So god only rewards the poor. 

Come on...

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: March 24, 2011, 02:15:03 PM »

So god only rewards the poor. 

Come on...

But what about the middle class? :runaway:

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #420 on: March 24, 2011, 02:21:29 PM »
What about BEn?  I mean, it's a trust fund so it's not actually his yet.   :dubious:

Offline KSU187

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: March 24, 2011, 02:29:59 PM »
For CNS.. No, Jesus was not stating that God only rewards the poor.  Jesus is speaking deeply about the spiritual principle of non-attachment, renunciation, and devotion to God.  It is not literal.

Many commentators believe that the man in the passage was St. Mark himself, as the full story only appears in his gospel (Matthew and Luke leave out some stuff), whom Jesus was instructing to drop everything and follow him literally.  But the camel and the eye of the needle illustration is, of course, a metaphorical representation.  For me, it represents the principle of "God First; God Alone" (a mantra that I love).
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 03:32:12 PM by KSU187 »

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: March 24, 2011, 02:37:33 PM »
For CNS.. No, Jesus was not stating that God only rewards the poor.  Jesus is speaking deeply about the spiritual principle of non-attachment, renunciation, and devotion to God.  It is not literal.

Many commentators believe that the man in the passage was St. Mark himself, as the full story only appears in his gospel (Matthew and Luke leave out some stuff), whom Jesus was instructing to drop everything and follow him literally.  But the camel and the eye of the needle illustration is, of course, a metaphorical representation of "God First; God Alone" (a mantra that I love).

Hmmmm....

I don't know. 

Feels like we are getting back into the whole "interpretation" thing. 

Offline KSU187

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: March 24, 2011, 03:09:27 PM »

Many commentators believe that the man in the passage was St. Mark himself, as the full story only appears in his gospel (Matthew and Luke leave out some stuff), whom Jesus was instructing to drop everything and follow him literally.  But the camel and the eye of the needle illustration is, of course, a metaphorical representation of "God First; God Alone" (a mantra that I love).

Hmmmm....

I don't know. 

Feels like we are getting back into the whole "interpretation" thing. 

You are right.  But the whole "interpretation" thing is basically unavoidable when you are dealing with certain texts.  Especially religious ones. 

Offline PoetWarrior

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: March 24, 2011, 04:01:58 PM »
God wants every part of us. Jesus asked a rich man to give up everything he had, not for the poor, but for Him, because he wants every piece and aspect of him. He doesn't want half of our attention, he wants it all.

The man wanted to believe, but when Jesus asked him to give up the one thing he obviously cared about most (his wealth), he wasn't willing to give it up. This is the complete opposite of what Christ asks of us. He wants us to give up everything for Him. Because he wants all of us.

You can't accept 25-50% of this (of Him), you accept 100% or nothing.

Immediately following what was quoted earlier:

"Jesus looked around and said to his disciples, “How hard it is for the rich to enter the kingdom of God!”

The disciples were amazed at his words. But Jesus said again, “Children, how hard it is to enter the kingdom of God! It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.”

The disciples were even more amazed, and said to each other, “Who then can be saved?”

Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but not with God; all things are possible with God.”

Then Peter spoke up, “We have left everything to follow you!”

“Truly I tell you,” Jesus replied, “no one who has left home or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or fields for me and the gospel will fail to receive a hundred times as much in this present age: homes, brothers, sisters, mothers, children and fields—along with persecutions—and in the age to come eternal life. But many who are first will be last, and the last first.”