Author Topic: Holy War  (Read 138415 times)

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Religion,Bible,Church, Etc. Thread
« Reply #200 on: February 28, 2011, 04:40:30 PM »
A Christian can be as horrible as anyone, but a Christian admits what he/she has done was wrong and is repentant.

I am a horrible person. I need help.

Yeah effing right, PW. Most "Christians" from college that I know go out and get absolutely hammered drunk every weekend, do drugs, eff eachother, cheat on eachother, lie to eachother, envy eachother, ETC. But it's ok in their minds since the next day they are "Forgiven" or whatever. This is what angers me about religion the most, is how hypocritical people are.

Hate the player, don't hate the game.  Though I don't think that really applies literally in this case.  I often used to say, "It isn't Christianity that I have a problem with, its the Christians."

The thing is, there are Christians and there are people who were only raised Christians. There's not always a long touching born again, coming back to Jesus story with everyone, but there has to be a point in life where you make that choice. Those guys haven't made their choice yet.

Good point.

So real Christians wouldn't claim these people as actual Christians? I for one, would not. Behavior like this is disgraceful to religion if these people still call them selves "Christians", and some of the ones that I know that exhibit this behavior are very religoius and like I said above it's ok because they're "forgiven".

Honestly, it's not up to the "real" Christians to label or claim others. It's more Christian like to reach out to them. Not segregate them. Jesus had a supposed hooker and a tax collector in his posse, after all.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: February 28, 2011, 04:41:00 PM »
I love this kind of stuff. You can argue all damn day...and there really isn't anyway for anyone to prove they're right. Love it.

Pretty much how I see it.  Goes along with the difference between knowing something and believing something.  I'm good with that.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: February 28, 2011, 04:41:17 PM »
More like Theban steel!

same thing

Yeah, I'm not so sure the Spartans were conquered because they were morally inferior (socially I guess) than Thebes or Rome. Just that Theban Military Doctrine evolved faster. Not necessarily their morals. After all, the Thebans had their Sacred Band of Gay Lovers.  Not exactly morally superior to Sparta or inferior to Rome.

maybe theban military doctrine evolved faster because they spent less time worrying about dickheads stealing. :ck:

Super jealous of all the people who know what they are doing after they die. I'm sure heaven (or having 72 virgins, or being a cow, whatever) will be a hell of a time.  Of course, I hope for your sake that you aren't wrong about which religion you chose, because most of them seem to condemn those that didn't choose their idea of a deity.  I really am jealous of those who have confidence and solace in their beliefs about the afterlife, but I can't believe it myself. On the other hand, I don't have terrible memories of the time before I became conscious, and I'm not too concerned about the time after I lose consciousness at the end.  

Super unheralded aspect of Pascal's Wager. There is a 1 in tens of thousands chance that you pick the right religion. And even if you do, you have to really really really mean it if you want to get to that heaven and not go to hell.

The odds are so against you that it makes life nearly as hopeless as being a stupid atheist. But you gotta try. That is why I am a Christian.

You could just follow the golden rule as best you can (without picking the wrong religion) and hope for the best. Personally, I'd take my chances at being a good atheist over picking the religion that the correct religion just couldn't stand.

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: February 28, 2011, 04:41:32 PM »
the god people have a disadvantage because they have no proof of an invisible ghost guy.  the burden is on them.

:emawkid:

maybe you missed all of the proof in the morality arguments?

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 28, 2011, 04:44:33 PM »
A Christian can be as horrible as anyone, but a Christian admits what he/she has done was wrong and is repentant.

I am a horrible person. I need help.

Yeah effing right, PW. Most "Christians" from college that I know go out and get absolutely hammered drunk every weekend, do drugs, eff eachother, cheat on eachother, lie to eachother, envy eachother, ETC. But it's ok in their minds since the next day they are "Forgiven" or whatever. This is what angers me about religion the most, is how hypocritical people are.

Hate the player, don't hate the game.  Though I don't think that really applies literally in this case.  I often used to say, "It isn't Christianity that I have a problem with, its the Christians."

The thing is, there are Christians and there are people who were only raised Christians. There's not always a long touching born again, coming back to Jesus story with everyone, but there has to be a point in life where you make that choice. Those guys haven't made their choice yet.

Good point.

So real Christians wouldn't claim these people as actual Christians? I for one, would not. Behavior like this is disgraceful to religion if these people still call them selves "Christians", and some of the ones that I know that exhibit this behavior are very religoius and like I said above it's ok because they're "forgiven".

Honestly, it's not up to the "real" Christians to label or claim others. It's more Christian like to reach out to them. Not segregate them. Jesus had a supposed hooker and a tax collector in his posse, after all.

I look at it like this.  Jesus said I (my words) are the way, the truth, light etc.  If you believe in me (my words) and work to apply them to your life, then you will be a beacon of that light.  So, should someone who chooses to follow the teachings of Christ stop hanging out with old friends, and only with other people deemed "good enough?"  I think it is precisely the opposite.  Where would that light be more valuable?
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: February 28, 2011, 04:45:57 PM »
the god people have a disadvantage because they have no proof of an invisible ghost guy.  the burden is on them.

Nothing was proven by the God people in the morality arguments  :dunno:

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: February 28, 2011, 04:46:42 PM »
Whats wrong with living your life as a good person but not worrying about God or religion?  :dunno:

Offline PoetWarrior

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: February 28, 2011, 04:47:06 PM »
There is a line. That line is saying that God couldn't do it that way, so it probably didn't happen. What I'm saying is it's more likely that it is a poetic description of his design, his passion in creation. Our place on this earth and historical evidence supports this. What I'm not saying, is God's power is limited. He could have done it any way He pleases. For us to limit ourselves and limit him because of what Moses wrote a some 4000 years ago in a completely different culture with completely different translations, is not helping anyone.

But again, I believe He has allowed the Bible to move through time accurately and plainly for us to read and understand. It's not a puzzle. So, questioning how things are translated is perhaps doubting his intention.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: February 28, 2011, 04:47:14 PM »
Super jealous of all the people who know what they are doing after they die. I'm sure heaven (or having 72 virgins, or being a cow, whatever) will be a hell of a time.  Of course, I hope for your sake that you aren't wrong about which religion you chose, because most of them seem to condemn those that didn't choose their idea of a deity.  I really am jealous of those who have confidence and solace in their beliefs about the afterlife, but I can't believe it myself. On the other hand, I don't have terrible memories of the time before I became conscious, and I'm not too concerned about the time after I lose consciousness at the end.  

Super unheralded aspect of Pascal's Wager. There is a 1 in tens of thousands chance that you pick the right religion. And even if you do, you have to really really really mean it if you want to get to that heaven and not go to hell.

The odds are so against you that it makes life nearly as hopeless as being a stupid atheist. But you gotta try. That is why I am a Christian.

You could just follow the golden rule as best you can (without picking the wrong religion) and hope for the best. Personally, I'd take my chances at being a good atheist over picking the religion that the correct religion just couldn't stand.

Bingo

Whats wrong with living your life as a good person but not worrying about God or religion?  :dunno:
Nothing
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 04:49:22 PM by 8manpick »
:adios:

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: February 28, 2011, 04:48:00 PM »

Nothing was proven by the God people in the morality arguments  :dunno:

was being completely facetious in my last two posts.

Offline the KHAN!

• Katpak'r
  • The Prince of Darkness and Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: February 28, 2011, 04:48:07 PM »
I love this kind of stuff. You can argue all damn day...and there really isn't anyway for anyone to prove they're right. Love it.

Pretty much how I see it.  Goes along with the difference between knowing something and believing something.  I'm good with that.

I find it amusing that people DEMAND "to be as certain of invisible things as I (or in this case they) was that seven and three are ten"

Yet they do not demand this type of proof that their parents are actually their parents. That the Civil War actually happened. That Milan, as a city, exists.

We simply take these other things at other peoples word.  We believe our parents when they tell us that they are our parents. We believe historians when they tell us the Civil War happened without doing the research ourselves. We believe Milan is real just because someone said they were there or had a picture of a city and labeled it so.  But God must present himself personally and shake your hand (you will no doubt check yourself into a psychiatric hospital because it would still be too unbelievable to you) for you to buy in.
The Scheme Doctor
Up the Banana Wall

Online WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: February 28, 2011, 04:49:17 PM »
the god people have a disadvantage because they have no proof of an invisible ghost guy.  the burden is on them.

I believe "burden" is the wrong word in this case. oh my. :lol:
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: February 28, 2011, 04:49:35 PM »

Many people don't think it's possible to have morals without a superior being to judge you, which is pretty dumb

Offline PoetWarrior

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: February 28, 2011, 04:49:57 PM »
What if Jesus was just a really nice guy?  What if a god judged people based off of the daily choices they make rather than Jesus getting offed?  What if what he did got him judged kindly, but has nothing to do with you or yours?

Better yet, what if god didn't pay any attention to anything "us" related.  What if god exists but doesn't serve the function that many think? 

Christians believe that the Bible is the divinely inspired word of God. It answers all of these questions...There's not much else a Christian can say...

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: February 28, 2011, 04:50:59 PM »

BOOM

Offline the KHAN!

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: February 28, 2011, 04:53:47 PM »
The Scheme Doctor
Up the Banana Wall

Offline PoetWarrior

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: February 28, 2011, 04:54:10 PM »

Look out your window.

Look at your hands. Watch them move.

Watch the moon eclipse the sun.

Ask yourself why you haven't killed yourself or your family?

Proof is surrounding you on every side.

Look at it.

Offline PoetWarrior

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: February 28, 2011, 04:55:26 PM »

It's meaningless and stupid.

Only a real idiot would do it.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: February 28, 2011, 04:55:41 PM »

Look out your window.

Look at it.

:lol:

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: February 28, 2011, 04:56:31 PM »

Online WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: February 28, 2011, 04:57:07 PM »
the god people have a disadvantage because they have no proof of an invisible ghost guy.  the burden is on them.

Look out your window.

Look at it.

:horrorsurprise:
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline PoetWarrior

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: February 28, 2011, 04:57:31 PM »

Look out your window.

Look at it.

:lol:

You'll think about it.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: February 28, 2011, 04:57:37 PM »
What if Jesus was just a really nice guy?  What if a god judged people based off of the daily choices they make rather than Jesus getting offed?  What if what he did got him judged kindly, but has nothing to do with you or yours?

People call him the Son of God, but he was actually God in human form. In Revelation, he actually returns to John in a different form. He resembles the Jesus he knew, but with white hair, a dagger, and bronzed feet. To separate Jesus and God is interesting to think about, but they are indeed one.

Better yet, what if god didn't pay any attention to anything "us" related.  What if god exists but doesn't serve the function that many think?

Anything is possible. It would go against everything in the bible, though. Especially the new testament.

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: February 28, 2011, 04:57:43 PM »

I find it amusing that people DEMAND "to be as certain of invisible things as I (or in this case they) was that seven and three are ten"

Yet they do not demand this type of proof that their parents are actually their parents. That the Civil War actually happened. That Milan, as a city, exists.

We simply take these other things at other peoples word.  We believe our parents when they tell us that they are our parents. We believe historians when they tell us the Civil War happened without doing the research ourselves. We believe Milan is real just because someone said they were there or had a picture of a city and labeled it so.  But God must present himself personally and shake your hand (you will no doubt check yourself into a psychiatric hospital because it would still be too unbelievable to you) for you to buy in.

There's really no evidence of God though, other than some ridiculously hard to believe things in the Bible. On the other hand, there are millions and millions of witnesses to the Civil war, your "parents" argument is completely irrelevant, and millions and millions of people have been to Milan and can describe it.

Offline the KHAN!

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
The Scheme Doctor
Up the Banana Wall