Author Topic: 202x Coaching Carousel  (Read 89744 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: 202x Coaching Carousel
« Reply #650 on: October 03, 2022, 02:24:28 PM »
I legit think CU is one of the toughest p5 jobs because it's so isolated geographically

Seriously?

yeah. Obviously some are worse but you aren't gonna have a full program of Colorado kids and their neighboring states are all low population states.

Nah, man. Colorado produces more talent than all the states around them and they are the only P5 program in their state and Utah and BYU are the only programs even close to them. They've done an awful job keeping what talent they do have in state. When they've been good they have the ability to recruit Texas and California the way we can only recruit Texas, it's one of the reasons why they left. They are routinely behind K-State, KU, Tech, Utah, and BYU in recruiting and that's unacceptable. They don't recruit their state or any of their neighboring states, worth a damn. They should be on the same kids as we are, but they aren't. Off the top of my head, since they've been bad we've gotten two guys, from Colorado, who both may be in the college football Hall of Fame one day. Not to mention a lot of good young players like Rubley and Pastore.

I don't know what their recruiting budget is, but the problem isn't the availability of players, but who they are targeting.

I just checked their media guide and they have the same amount of Arizonans as we do, three, how in the hell is that possible?

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: October 03, 2022, 02:41:34 PM »
Is it possible they’re so woke that they don’t even want to play FB anymore?

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: October 03, 2022, 04:41:13 PM »
I don't understand Wisconsin firing Paul Chryst. Seems like he's been one of the most successful coaches they have had.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: October 03, 2022, 04:57:19 PM »
I don't understand Wisconsin firing Paul Chryst. Seems like he's been one of the most successful coaches they have had.

War on religion.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: October 04, 2022, 07:49:28 AM »

https://twitter.com/dirkchatelain/status/1576714626426773504

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: October 04, 2022, 08:20:32 AM »
People overreact to any loss of momentum. But you look at a guy like Kirk Ferentz and he’s had a lot of years of bad and mediocre seasons, but still able to turn things around and have good to great years. If I had all the pressure to win I’d probably overreact too though.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: October 04, 2022, 08:34:09 AM »
Paul Chryst's win percentage was about 10 points higher than Barry Alvarez's, for a better point of reference.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: October 04, 2022, 09:02:46 AM »
They fired him now because they’d rather have of 10+ season with Leonhard starting now over a couple more of Chryst then having to pay Chryst’s buyout & Leonhard’s buyout from wherever he’s at.

With their schedule the rest of the way out, it isn’t hard to see him finishing 4-3 then having a mess of firing with a bowl game in order to keep Leonhard.

They can also start working on Lance along with Nebraska in case Leonhard bombs.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 09:34:38 AM by TheHamburglar »
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline konofo

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: October 04, 2022, 09:12:45 AM »
Paul Chryst's win percentage was about 10 points higher than Barry Alvarez's, for a better point of reference.
Not really a good comparison.  Alvarez took over a terribad program, and didn't benefit from having OSU/Michigan/PSU in another division.  There were some very poor years, but he also won three Big Ten titles, three Rose Bowls, and finished top 5 those years.

Chryst's teams were more consistent performers and went to a bowl every year.  The Pelini comparisons are a better fit, in terms of situation and results.  Alvarez seems more like Wisconsin's Snyder.

kono
« Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 03:25:33 PM by konofo »

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: October 04, 2022, 12:16:47 PM »
They fired him now because they’d rather have of 10+ season with Leonhard starting now over a couple more of Chryst then having to pay Chryst’s buyout & Leonhard’s buyout from wherever he’s at.

With their schedule the rest of the way out, it isn’t hard to see him finishing 4-3 then having a mess of firing with a bowl game in order to keep Leonhard.

They can also start working on Lance along with Nebraska in case Leonhard bombs.

Yep!

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #660 on: October 04, 2022, 12:39:31 PM »
Is Chryst getting 250k a year for life as a football ambassador?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: October 04, 2022, 01:10:13 PM »

Yep!

man that just seems like a huge risk and I don't think the start of the season exactly warrants a firing.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: October 04, 2022, 01:18:03 PM »
Yeah, let's fire our coach who averages 9 wins per season so we can hire an alumni who has never coached a game before. And if he flames out, we can get the guy from KU who also hasn't exactly proven anything yet. What could go wrong?

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: October 04, 2022, 01:54:24 PM »
The explanation that makes the most sense to me is that they are still pissed about Fat Bert Bielelemena leaving them for Arkansas and can't accept getting blown out by him.

Online ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: October 04, 2022, 03:02:45 PM »
Bert left for Arkansas after a pretty successful tenure (a little strange) and the dude who replaced him left for Oregon rough ridin' State (stranger still).  To be fair, both of those coaches have proven to be pretty strange themselves.  I don't know that there's a logical explanation for what goes on at Wisconsin.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: October 04, 2022, 04:30:29 PM »
We have to stop thinking about coaching changes as “did the coach deserve to get fired.” In the BigTen & SEC going forward within their upcoming TV contracts, it’s not how those schools are thinking. They’re now more like high payroll MLB teams & the coaches are like players. If they have an MLB worthy 1B, but another in AAA that they think will be better but can sign elsewhere next year, they cut the existing 1B and promote the AAA guy.

The decision process is no longer “does this guy deserve the job?” Every year it’s “is this guy the best available to us moving forward that we can afford?” If the answer is no, they’ll make a change.

Wisconsin asked if they’re better off with (a) Chryst & a new DC or (b) Leonhard or Lance. They answered b & can now afford it, so they choose b.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 04:33:42 PM by TheHamburglar »

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: October 04, 2022, 04:40:24 PM »
Bert left for Arkansas after a pretty successful tenure (a little strange) and the dude who replaced him left for Oregon rough ridin' State (stranger still).  To be fair, both of those coaches have proven to be pretty strange themselves.  I don't know that there's a logical explanation for what goes on at Wisconsin.

Bert left because Wisconsin has been historically cheap with assistant coaches. Andersen left because the administration wouldn't admit recruits he wanted, I'm sure this was also an issue for Bielema, but that was never reported.

The administration has been problematic there since Alvarez left. It's less an issue with Alvarez and more of an issue of them refusing to evolve with college football trends.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: October 04, 2022, 06:34:27 PM »

Bert left because Wisconsin has been historically cheap with assistant coaches. Andersen left because the administration wouldn't admit recruits he wanted, I'm sure this was also an issue for Bielema, but that was never reported.

The administration has been problematic there since Alvarez left. It's less an issue with Alvarez and more of an issue of them refusing to evolve with college football trends.

For a long time Alvarez put a $300k cap on assistants. You’re right, they just refused to evolve.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: October 06, 2022, 10:12:37 AM »
Good article on it.

https://theathletic.com/3661745/2022/10/06/paul-chryst-fired-wisconsin-jim-leonhard/

Essentially he hasn't responded to the NIL era of recruiting very well, plus having a barebones recruiting staff for a period of time. Also they had some key recruiting misses lately. He's made some odd staff hires and the locker "culture" is "off". Does sound like it's the DC's job if he does well.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: October 13, 2022, 01:29:20 PM »
I just read that Matt Rhule will make over $800K a month for the next 48 months from the Carolina Panthers to not coach them.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: October 13, 2022, 01:30:54 PM »
Even Bobby Bonilla is blushing on that deal
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Online ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: October 31, 2022, 12:35:04 PM »
Rhule @ Auburn would be fun

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: October 31, 2022, 12:38:26 PM »
I kinda like this quick trigger coach firing/huge buyout insanity. It's entertaining.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: October 31, 2022, 12:44:01 PM »