Author Topic: You wanted me? Now you got me!  (Read 197475 times)

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: You wanted me? Now you got me!
« Reply #600 on: September 30, 2012, 03:53:54 PM »
powerplay from 502 media...
via twitter - hey @TrimGoEMAW - I think you were looking for this. http://fb.me/1ffC6Sx25

wow kskevjohnson, you sure seem to have your finger on the pulse of the new smash hit that is 402 media.

Offline kskevjohnson

• Fan
  • Freddie Prinze... that's a riot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: September 30, 2012, 04:00:09 PM »
via twitter - hey @TrimGoEMAW - I think you were looking for this. http://fb.me/1ffC6Sx25

wow kskevjohnson, you sure seem to have your finger on the pulse of the new smash hit that is 402 media.

If finger on the pulse equates to following them on twitter than you are correct. Saw that people were looking for the article, this came across the feed, I figured I'd contribute.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: September 30, 2012, 04:02:25 PM »

If finger on the pulse equates to following them on twitter than you are correct. Saw that people were looking for the article, this came across the feed, I figured I'd contribute.

finger on the pulse, care about them a lot, follow them on twitter...potato, potatoe, potahto. know what i mean kev?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 04:09:51 PM by rick daris »

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: September 30, 2012, 04:06:06 PM »
The videos do look amazing. I really only hate The Mask himself. 

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
Re: Re: You wanted me? Now you got me!
« Reply #604 on: September 30, 2012, 04:08:57 PM »

Yes, 502 is very good. They shouldn't take any crap for this.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
You wanted me? Now you got me!
« Reply #605 on: September 30, 2012, 04:10:16 PM »
They should take a bit of crap

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: September 30, 2012, 04:11:14 PM »
They should take a bit of crap

The amount of crap 502 media group should take is tearing us apart.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: September 30, 2012, 04:13:52 PM »
Full article by Illinois native Burk Krohe:

Media firm branching out after success with ‘Mask’ videos
by 502 Media Group on Sunday, September 30, 2012 at 1:18pm ·
The new kids on the block

Media firm branching out after success with ‘Mask’ videos

Burk Krohe
[email protected]

Over the serene music and view from Top of the World, a man in a plastic mask and purple tie delivers a passionate monologue about K-State's 51-9 win against Missouri State. The man is wellknown these days as the K-State Mask. At least part of that fame is explainable by the black screen frame that appears near the end of each of his recent three and a half minute videos. The screen says, 'Production by 502 Media Group.' The local firm, which keeps a modest yet modern office on South Fourth Street, worked with The Mask to craft that Missouri State video, and subsequent videos, about the Wildcats football team. Blade Mages, a fan who is also creative director and founder of 502, reached out after someone showed him the Mask's original video, shot in front of a white wall, and he was immediately impressed.

Fueled by K-State's 24-19 victory last week over Oklahoma and the Wildcats' surge in polls, the result of Mages' outreach has been internet celebrity for The Mask, and a business boom for 502 Media Group. 'I don't think either of us set out to create what it ended up becoming,' Mages said.

In the week since that upset win over OU, The Mask's YouTube hits are approaching 100,000, his 'likes' outnumber his 'dislikes' 10-1, 502 has received more calls than it can handle from prospective clients, and the firm's inbox is overflowing.

Mages believes The Mask videos have become 'inadvertently the firm's most successful marketing campaign.' With only a handful of employees to handle the calls, 502 is having to be very selective about business opportunities in order to deal with the sheer volume. Mages said Rachel Hermes, project manager, keeps the firm on top of things.

'She tells us what we can and can't handle at this point,' Mages said The firm's story started far before The Mask. Mages created the firm while he was still a graphic design student at K-State. In 2008, he was approached by a company in Virginia that contracts with rural cable companies to assist on video production.

The owner of a local cable company in Concordia, where Mages worked as a high school student, had passed on his name to the company.

He took out a $5,000 small business loan and started shooting small, low-budget TV ads around northern Kansas. An unsuccessful bid for a Downtown Manhattan Inc. video led to more local clients and a broader focus.

'What we ended up finding out is a lot of those folks needed help with web, they needed help with print, with radio all these different things,' Mages said.

Then came The Mask.

The first video was shot on Labor Day, and Mages says The Mask's talent as an actor and improviser was evident from the start.

'I was like, 'I'm going to turn the camera on and you just talk,'' Mages said. 'He went on a 20 minute rant, and it was all pure gold.' He started editing the video that day but found the task difficult because the Mask had so many great lines. Picking and choosing what parts to use became a battle. Hermes had started working at 502 just before the video was shot and found a surprise upon walking into the office the next morning.

'I think it was her second day, she shows up, and I was passed out on the couch because I was up here editing the first video until 4 in the morning,' Mages said.

If ever Hermes is unable to contact Mages, she said she knows to check the office couch.

After completing the editing process, Mages and Hermes watched happily as the YouTube views increased. Social media websites such as Twitter and Facebook also helped spread the word.

'There wasn't really a tipping point where on the first video we knew 'holy cow this is something huge,'' Mages said. 'We just played this waiting game, keep hitting refresh to see if the views changed.' As the popularity of the Mask videos have grown, so has 502's profile. Mages is getting calls from businesses all over the state. He said about 30 percent of the calls are from businesses who just want to cash in on the Mask's name, but most are from businesses that looked into 502's other work and liked what they saw.

'Seventy percent of the time the Mask has just introduced us to people,' Mages said.

Mages said the firm is considering adding positions, but, for the most part, he likes the size of the firm as it is. He said it allows more freedom and flexibility.

There is even interest from national companies. Mages was mum on the details but said the firm is in the process of talking with CBS about some video work. If that weren't impressive enough, he also has the privilege of knowing The Mask's secret identity.

'It's funny because obviously I know his name,' Mages said, 'but he's in my phone as 'The Mask.' I can't call him his normal name-it just doesn't work.”

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: September 30, 2012, 04:16:21 PM »

502 is profiting off of The Mask, who is profiting off moron k-state fans.  Transitive property applies here?

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: September 30, 2012, 04:19:33 PM »

T-Y 502/kskev.

Now that we're all on the same page - this page on goEMAW.com - there's no need to communicate through all different methods or to be sending me DMs while I'm getting my swole on.  Let's just pick up the convo here now that I'm back and done with my Apple Pie Big 100 MET-RX bar.

502 Media Group (@502MediaGroup) has sent you a direct message on Twitter!

502 Media Group
@502MediaGroup

Glad us clownasses could help! Let me know if you need anything else. I enjoy observing. Just don't trash our biz too much.
02:37 PM - 30 Sep 12

If posting my observations and predictions about your biz is considered trashing it, then yes, I'll be continuing to trash it as you guys continue making K-State look like trash.  Regardless of a goEMAW'r I like being on staff.

Offline Super PurpleCat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • purple hugs are back! get yours today
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: September 30, 2012, 04:28:57 PM »

502 is profiting off of The Mask, who is profiting off moron k-state fans.  Transitive property applies here?

So local businesses in Kansas can make money off of K-State football's popularity.

(sips on Rev Honey)

Very interesting.

Gonna go for a drive to think about this, bbl.

(grabs keys with Briggs Auto keychain)

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: September 30, 2012, 04:31:31 PM »

502 Media Group
@502MediaGroup

03:28 PM - 30 Sep 12

I think twitter DM time stamps are on weirdo middle extreme western kansas time.

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: September 30, 2012, 04:32:05 PM »

T-Y 502/kskev.

Now that we're all on the same page - this page on goEMAW.com - there's no need to communicate through all different methods or to be sending me DMs while I'm getting my swole on.  Let's just pick up the convo here now that I'm back and done with my Apple Pie Big 100 MET-RX bar.

502 Media Group
@502MediaGroup

Glad us clownasses could help! Let me know if you need anything else. I enjoy observing. Just don't trash our biz too much.
02:37 PM - 30 Sep 12

If posting my observations and predictions about your biz is considered trashing it, then yes, I'll be continuing to trash it as you guys continue making K-State look like trash.  Regardless of a goEMAW'r I like being on staff.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: September 30, 2012, 04:35:49 PM »
you guys the mask isn't even really a big deal to me anymore

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: September 30, 2012, 04:45:44 PM »
i hate them because they are not very good.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #615 on: September 30, 2012, 04:53:56 PM »

So local businesses in Kansas can make money off of K-State football's popularity.

(sips on Rev Honey)

Very interesting.

Yeah, except we need an uber-tool middleman/spokesman so Dave Lewis for Little Apple Honda Toyota would be a better example of this phenomenon.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: September 30, 2012, 04:55:41 PM »

(sips on Rev Honey)

Very interesting.

Yeah, except we need an uber-tool middleman/spokesman so Dave Lewis for Little Apple Honda Toyota would be a better example of this phenomenon.

RevHoney markets/targets pak'd out EMAWs stumbling out of hoops games.  No characters though.  :dunno:

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: September 30, 2012, 05:24:28 PM »
I forgot how 502 thinks The Mask is hilarious.  I've now gone from neutral on 502 to not liking them.

Offline Frankenklein

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: September 30, 2012, 05:30:53 PM »
   Masks that look better than the K-state mask

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: September 30, 2012, 06:01:35 PM »
In 402mediagroup.com's defense they do have a guy named "Blade".  That's pretty badass.

Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: September 30, 2012, 06:07:23 PM »
The videos are PW-quality HD...

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: September 30, 2012, 07:19:12 PM »
Blaming 502 is Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!).  They saw an opportunity to do something fun, and then it jumped the shark.  What are they supposed to do, cancel it because some people don't think it's funny anymore?

FWIW I think the mask material is old and not funny, but blaming a small MHK business is not the way to show that.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: September 30, 2012, 07:21:27 PM »
They saw an opportunity to do something fun, and then it jumped the shark. 

This is an incredibly bad assessment.  Now I'm #TeamMcDonalds.

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: September 30, 2012, 08:54:14 PM »
Blaming 502 is Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!).  They saw an opportunity to do something fun, and then it jumped the shark.  What are they supposed to do, cancel it because some people don't think it's funny anymore?

FWIW I think the mask material is old and not funny, but blaming a small MHK business is not the way to show that.

blaming 502 is no more or less Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) than blaming the mask, but yeah, it's Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!).  it's no different than blaming mcdonalds for fat people or blaming usher for justin bieber. they're simply supplying a shitty product to fill an existing demand for a shitty product.  you wanna blame somebody blame our ignorant fanbase for eating it up.  it's what i've been saying all along.  it just looks like jealousy that their shitty videos have gone viral while all the great videos produced by the guys here go virtually unnoticed.  :dunno:
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: September 30, 2012, 08:57:40 PM »
it just looks like jealousy that their shitty videos have gone viral while all the great videos produced by the guys here go virtually unnoticed.  :dunno:

Also unnoticed by you, Rams, that thing about how you've never, ever gotten a bill from goEMAW or been charged anything or pushed to buy anything that benefits goEMAW.