Author Topic: Noah smith, liar or dumbass?  (Read 1135 times)

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
Re: Noah smith, liar or dumbass?
« Reply #75 on: Today at 01:15:48 PM »
I would say capitalism is based on a form of morality
Yeah, the idea that you ought to be compensated at an agreed-upon sum for the value of work and property seems pretty moral compared to the alternative.
fair enough, i guess i should have been more precise with my wording, instead of saying capitalism as in like the theoretical version, i instead should have said capitalism as in the (inescapable) reality of how it is exists in reality today. Just because a sum is agreed does by no means imply that the sum is not exploitative.

As they say, and it bolsters what ss7 just said, "there is no ethical consumption under capitalism" and i yes i realize you didn't say ethical you said moral, however i would argue that the way you are using the word moral there is a tremendous amount of overlap with ethical
I don't know what any of this means but I also don't really care to have some further deep theoretical, semantics driven argument about it.

I'm going to go buy a burrito and not wrestle with the ethics/morality of the transaction.

sounds good, enjoy your burrito!
it was excellent  :party:

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Today at 01:44:26 PM »
I also just burrito(bowl)'d, also excellent.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Today at 04:33:44 PM »
This reminds me of an interesting point I had never really considered. I was watching a streamer doing one of those political quiz type things and the question was something like "does a business have any ethical responsibility beyond making money" and the guy basically argued that no, they have no ethical responsibility except following the law. The state has the responsibility of not letting businesses be lawfully unethical. In essence I fully agree with that, and asking businesses (or people) to act ethically without legal framework is a pipe dream.
I agree with this as well, and in fact I would say that’s one of the greatest benefits to capitalism is that it encourages creativity and competition up to the very brink of what is not explicitly prohibited.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Today at 05:29:15 PM »
This reminds me of an interesting point I had never really considered. I was watching a streamer doing one of those political quiz type things and the question was something like "does a business have any ethical responsibility beyond making money" and the guy basically argued that no, they have no ethical responsibility except following the law. The state has the responsibility of not letting businesses be lawfully unethical. In essence I fully agree with that, and asking businesses (or people) to act ethically without legal framework is a pipe dream.
I agree with this as well, and in fact I would say that’s one of the greatest benefits to capitalism is that it encourages creativity and competition up to the very brink of what is not explicitly prohibited.

Not gEing here, just curious what is a modern day (as in, the last 5 years or so) example of competition that benefited the consumer? I do believe there probably are some, but every kind of common good/service I can think of off the top of my head all of the companies that should, in theory, be competing for my business all just keep raising their prices/lowering the quality of their product bc as long as they all do it together the consumer doesn’t really have many options

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Today at 05:41:05 PM »
 :blank:
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Today at 06:44:54 PM »
Maybe he doesn't know about the weight loss drugs

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Noah smith, liar or dumbass?
« Reply #81 on: Today at 07:21:34 PM »

Not gEing here, just curious what is a modern day (as in, the last 5 years or so) example of competition that benefited the consumer? I do believe there probably are some, but every kind of common good/service I can think of off the top of my head all of the companies that should, in theory, be competing for my business all just keep raising their prices/lowering the quality of their product bc as long as they all do it together the consumer doesn’t really have many options

5 years seems like an arbitrary timeframe to pick, but off the top of my head I’d say a lot more places offer free (or near free) grocery delivery or 2 day delivery to compete with Amazon and others. Lots of restaurants offer pretty good deals and easy mobile ordering. Internet and 5G is improving because mobile companies realize it’s a necessity to keep customers. TVs keep getting better while generally getting cheaper. Same with phones overall.

And for things that have gone down in quality, a lot of that is due to consumer demand too. We still have access to higher quality versions of most products, it’s just that the vast majority of Americans prefer the cheaper stuff.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Today at 07:27:55 PM »
Maybe he doesn't know about the weight loss drugs

I bet DBT would agree with you the prescription drug market is practically a race to the bottom

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Today at 08:10:30 PM »

5 years seems like an arbitrary timeframe to pick, but off the top of my head I’d say a lot more places offer free (or near free) grocery delivery or 2 day delivery to compete with Amazon and others. Lots of restaurants offer pretty good deals and easy mobile ordering. Internet and 5G is improving because mobile companies realize it’s a necessity to keep customers. TVs keep getting better while generally getting cheaper. Same with phones overall.

And for things that have gone down in quality, a lot of that is due to consumer demand too. We still have access to higher quality versions of most products, it’s just that the vast majority of Americans prefer the cheaper stuff.

You might need to start a thread on where to find all these discount goods. With the exception of tvs I believe every category you listed there the price increases are outpacing inflation. Literally just this morning on the Today show they were talking about how fast food customers were starting to revolt from McDonald’s bc their pricing is getting ridiculous, I think they said Burger King and Dominoes were getting an uptick in sales bc they haven’t been raising their prices as severely as the competition.

Also, regarding phones, I’m not sure how the concept of planned obsolescence can thrive in a capitalistic society. Intentionally designing your stuff to fail should be the death knell of any company but instead it’s an incredibly successful profit strategy.

Last, I’m putting an * next to your grocery delivery example, since that is part of their business plan to intentionally take a loss for the first few years to eliminate all competition and then once they are the only game (or 1 of a small handful of like-minded games) in town they can jack the prices up with impunity. So like, short term competition with the long term business plan of not having to be competitive at all.

Oh well, at least I can still get event tickets at reasonable prices

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Today at 08:46:28 PM »
The cable company and Verizon and the new fiber company that just got installed are engaging in fisticuffs for my internet dollars near daily. I think soon they might be paying me to use it.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Today at 10:03:49 PM »
Possibly the start of a new thread, but the grocery store is insufferable these days. Self check out when you have a lot of produce takes forever, and even if you do wait for an employee to ring you up, they don't bag it for you anymore so you have to watch all your stuff get smashed at the end of the conveyer belt while you're pulling out your credit card, or getting your club card, or whatever. Then make the rest of the line wait on you while you're bagging everything.

So clearly they're pushing for pick up or delivery. But those apps' interfaces need a ton of work for me to feel confident that my order is going to be correct. And to take less time to complete than to just go to the store myself.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Today at 10:13:09 PM »

You might need to start a thread on where to find all these discount goods. With the exception of tvs I believe every category you listed there the price increases are outpacing inflation. Literally just this morning on the Today show they were talking about how fast food customers were starting to revolt from McDonald’s bc their pricing is getting ridiculous, I think they said Burger King and Dominoes were getting an uptick in sales bc they haven’t been raising their prices as severely as the competition.

Also, regarding phones, I’m not sure how the concept of planned obsolescence can thrive in a capitalistic society. Intentionally designing your stuff to fail should be the death knell of any company but instead it’s an incredibly successful profit strategy.

Last, I’m putting an * next to your grocery delivery example, since that is part of their business plan to intentionally take a loss for the first few years to eliminate all competition and then once they are the only game (or 1 of a small handful of like-minded games) in town they can jack the prices up with impunity. So like, short term competition with the long term business plan of not having to be competitive at all.

Oh well, at least I can still get event tickets at reasonable prices
What’s the non-capitalist, uncorrupted, inflation-proof alternative you’re implicitly advocating for?

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Today at 10:20:35 PM »
Not answering for BAC, but in my opinion capitalism is great but similar to our militias it needs to be well regulated.