Author Topic: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions  (Read 376083 times)

star seed 7 and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
irl the bad thing about this cat arrangement is that almost all will die. probably horrible deaths. cats will just show up and live there and that's how cow farmers have cats. trying to cheat the system and bringing in cats has never worked in the history of ranchers having cats. my folks have a cat called "bob" who, you guessed it, has a bobbed tail which froze off probably 6 years ago. anyway, all of these cats just show up and live or don't. you dad is setting up a meat grinder for the local predators fyi.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
only like 2% of cats can live this life. let them figure it out on their own imo.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
OR.....Just keep adding new 1099's until enough of the tough ones survive and advance then reproduce.

Also zero cats have shown up on the cat ranch randomly and in the year or so there were no cats we had mice drowning in dog bowls of water left outside because there were that many of them.

stevedaveKSU

Were they bothering you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
I've been bloviating against woody encroachment for years, but everyone thought I was insane. Well, look at me now.
Give me an air conditioned enclosed cab high flow skid steer with a forestry muncher and turn me loose.

Cedars don’t regenerate from the roots.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
i'm maybe going to get some sheep to try my hand at hobbying.  got to figure out how to take care of sheep real fast.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
This should be in your blood. You hump them.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
i'm maybe going to get some sheep to try my hand at hobbying.  got to figure out how to take care of sheep real fast.

You hobbying in Kansas?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
I've been bloviating against woody encroachment for years, but everyone thought I was insane. Well, look at me now.
Give me an air conditioned enclosed cab high flow skid steer with a forestry muncher and turn me loose.

Cedars don’t regenerate from the roots.
Pete's all over it.  We turned this guy loose a couple falls ago on some woody eradication.

Tom

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

You hobbying in Kansas?

california.  this is just a hobby hobby flock.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Stopped at the Bazaar cattle pens/Scenic outlook on the drive home from DFW today.  Freshly burned and greened up after some good moisture.

Tom

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

You hobbying in Kansas?

Sheep used to be a real life thing in WKS and alot of other places but then some smart people invented synthetic fibers and no one needed wool anymore. From my limited research the meat you can get from sheep is not really worth it by itself so you would need to shear the sheep for wool which is a pain in the ass and labor intensive which is why BEEF is now the dominant bovine in most of the US.

My dad did mention they had a small herd of sheep at the cat ranch back in the 70's but the only reason I remember that is because he said they always got some nasty parasites/worms that you would pull out through their nostrils.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Also I was out at the cat ranch last weekend and planted 4 blackberry, 2 raspberry bushes and 1 apple tree just for the hell of it.

Here are two blackberry and 1 raspberry bushes, planted them behind the garage/quonset building thinking that the extra run off will give them enough water....my only concern is when it's 100 degrees out there in the summer and the metal siding is radiating heat.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
We have a giant crab apple tree and cherry tree that have survived for a billion years since they get watered from the lawn sprinklers so I planted a blackberry and raspberry bush there as well.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Milo hanging out at the edge of our very mid wheat field.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Sunset pic

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Sheep used to be a real life thing in WKS and alot of other places but then some smart people invented synthetic fibers and no one needed wool anymore. From my limited research the meat you can get from sheep is not really worth it by itself so you would need to shear the sheep for wool which is a pain in the ass and labor intensive which is why BEEF is now the dominant bovine in most of the US.

My dad did mention they had a small herd of sheep at the cat ranch back in the 70's but the only reason I remember that is because he said they always got some nasty parasites/worms that you would pull out through their nostrils.

if i lose less than $1000 and don't get a parasite they have to pull out of my nose on this hobby i'll consider it a huge win.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

You hobbying in Kansas?

End game being eat them after you flock them?

When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

if i lose less than $1000 and don't get a parasite they have to pull out of my nose on this hobby i'll consider it a huge win.

Not your nostril, the sheep's nostril.

I'm 100% in favor of sys buying some sheep and starting a hobby hobby farm.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
End game being eat them after you flock them?

my preliminary plan is to eat one and have another one butchered for the landowners to eat.  the rest to survive the year.  but we'll see how it goes.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Used, low hour, tractor market is insane.

Tom

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Yikes

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
is that a collector's price or a price based on a self serviceable tractor for actual farm use? i would be leery of a buying a car, bike or boat that old with those few of hours if i wanted to actually use it.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
my grandpa used to have a giant tank of roundup on his 3 wheeler and one in a pickup and on days when there "wasn't as much to do" he drove around and round upp'd all his fence lines to keep cedar out!

But they made good fence posts when there were no trees anywhere

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
my grandpa used to have a giant tank of roundup on his 3 wheeler and one in a pickup and on days when there "wasn't as much to do" he drove around and round upp'd all his fence lines to keep cedar out!

But they made good fence posts when there were no trees anywhere
I ask this with all due respect and seriousness…did he die of cancer? Lot of those guys who were exposed to Roundup 24/7/365 have.